Menu

How does a person know if it is mild depression

I have depression.

Depression is a "funny" thing. Sometimes people feel very overwhelmed and have days where they just do not feel like doing anything.Sometimes the wether can do it, or your hormones.

So I think to an extent, everyone has some form of "mild depression".

When you start having bad days every day, do not want to get out of bed, crying for no reason, thinking life is useless, lethargic, no interest in anything, then there is a real problem.

Which is what I have. And I have tried combatting it without meds, and I have not been able to as of yet. But I am working on it.

Maybe you can try to focus on the good things. What has helped me sometimes is keeping journal of all the things I am grateful for. I then realize that I do not have it as bad as others. Things could always be worse.

And having a good support system is very important. Even if you only have "mild depression". Taking time for yourself when you need it is very important. And without guilt(I know, hard to do, but you have to do it).

Nowadays, I have to force myself to do things. But when I do, I find I feel so much better.

I hope you feel better. Depression is no fun:grouphug:

I would guess (although I'm not an expert) that if there are really good reasons (i.e. crappy stuff happening in your life right then), it's probably depression due to circumstances. . .in which case you may not really need medication.

On the other hand, if there is not a real reason for it, then maybe you have a chemical imbalance/physical issue, and should see your doctor.

I'm not sure. Just my opinion.

They are probably synonymous. Depression starts when you feel overwhelmed by life in general. It presents a bit differently for everyone, but for me, I start to notice that I could sleep for DAYS and it not matter, the house gets messier and messier and i have no desire to clean it (this is a big red flag for my dh to start noticing I am depressed), I am snappy with the kids and with dh, and overall, I just feel very tired and sad. I tend to cry more (and I am not a crier normally), have less energy and patience, and things that normally excite me stop doing so.

A bunch of bad things happening at once can cause someone who is not prone to depression to be depressed.

You've gotten some good responses. I would add that if circumstances improve and you're still not able to snap back to a normal (for you) frame of mind, then depression is probably a factor.

Right now I know I'm depressed. My dh is out of work, we all had the flu, and my dh was in a serious car accident. There are good reasons to not feel up to it. For me a huge indicator that it's too much for me to handle is getting out of bed and keeping the house clean. If I can't do those 2 things, I'm in deep trouble and need to seek help. So far, I'm okay.

I think it's alright to have blue periods in one's life. If they last too long or become too frequent, get help.

HTH

or just a lot of crappy things going on in one's life?

I think there's normal depression and depression caused by chemical imbalance.

If there really are a lot of bad/depressing things going on in your life (or one really depressing thing,) it's normal to feel depressed. You should be able to work your way out of it in a reasonable amount of time, and you should be able to function normally. For example, I was depressed for about 4 years, but I felt it was a normal depression. I was able to function normally, I just had bouts of feeling depressed.

I think if there's nothing major in your life to feel depressed about, you should talk to someone. Maybe you're blocking things out you need to deel with, maybe you have a chemical imbalance.

Good luck! No matter what the problem is, it's no fun being depressed.

Thank you all for your replies.

I think my problem is likely based on circumstances. There is a significant issue we dealing with in our marriage, and I am feeling rather overwhelmed with a number of other matters.

I don't believe it is anything that warrants medication; I just want to stop this cycle of crying, sadness and anxiety.

I probably need to work on changing my focus. Maybe I am dwelling on the problems instead of actively finding solutions.

It's normal to be unhappy when unhappy things are going on in life. Depression is a chemical problem in the brain. A healthy person reacts with unhappiness to unhappy things. There is nothing wrong with that. Not feeling negative in reaction to negative things *is* unhealthy. A depressed person is unhappy beyond the things happening in their life. That's my take.

It's normal to be unhappy when unhappy things are going on in life. Depression is a chemical problem in the brain. A healthy person reacts with unhappiness to unhappy things. There is nothing wrong with that. Not feeling negative in reaction to negative things *is* unhealthy. A depressed person is unhappy beyond the things happening in their life. That's my take.

This sounds solid to me.

:grouphug:

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I'm no expert. I just know what I'm dealing with right now.... too much going on, too much this, and then I lost the ability to focus or concentration and felt like I was in a "phase shift" like on Star Trek. I could not function.

At the advice of a friend of mine who has years of experience in counseling...I took an online depression screening list. And whoa, it was revealing. yikes. That friend suggested st. john's wort as med of first choice in my case, and we consulted with others more knowledgable for proper dosages and what not to take while using it, and all of that. All I know is that the ability to feel like me returned. I'm just saying even though it is over the counter -- doesn't mean it doesn't have cautions and such. So, find someone knowledgeable if you go that route.

my case....the normal icky stuff that would overwhelm people added up and overloaded my body's ability to handle the stress and it did cause lots of imbalance.

at first it started off as normal junk that would get anyone sad and down a bit, but it didn't go away with attitude changes and focus on solutions over problems, etc. So if you find after 2 weeks or so that you can't get back on top of it...

here's one online screening tool out there. They have the same check points -- it's a screening tool that you'd take to the doctors office to speed up discussion.

http://www.depression-screening.org/screeningtest/screeningtest.htm

:grouphug:

-crystal

They are probably synonymous. Depression starts when you feel overwhelmed by life in general. It presents a bit differently for everyone, but for me, I start to notice that I could sleep for DAYS and it not matter, the house gets messier and messier and i have no desire to clean it (this is a big red flag for my dh to start noticing I am depressed), I am snappy with the kids and with dh, and overall, I just feel very tired and sad. I tend to cry more (and I am not a crier normally), have less energy and patience, and things that normally excite me stop doing so.

A bunch of bad things happening at once can cause someone who is not prone to depression to be depressed.

:iagree: Depression is tricky because it does present differently for everyone. I do not cry, I get irritable/angry. That is when I know my depression is back, between the mess the house becomes and how angry I feel all the time (it is due to feeling overwhelmed and being out of control), then I know it is time to get back on meds. My depression is caused mainly by pregnancy and seasonal changes(specifically about this time every fall it kicks in and by mid spring I an fine again). BUt can also be triggered by life events piling up.

When in doubt I go to my dr. I was undiagnosised for years because I always thought it was due to circumstances(difficult marriage, babies back to back, 2 major moves, inlawas living with us, divorce etc), turns out I had depression and because it was untreated made those above things even harder to cope with and made the depression worse etc. If you are not sure see your dr for an assessment or referral to a mental health professional.

If the "weight" of your circumstances is significantly affecting your ability to get things done and consistently get restful sleep for over a month, you may need help. Many doctors suggest counselling first if it's your immediate circumstances and then medication if you need more help.

Everyone has difficult things in their life that they struggle with, but if they pull you down for too long, you may need some help.

Chrissy,

I'm sorry you're struggling. May I suggest some things to help your body deal with the stress/depression/anxiety?

First: Rest welll and eat well. Try not to load up on carbs -- get lots of antioxidant fruits and veggies.

Then, consider:

A B-complex vitamin with a decent amount of B6 and B12.

Extra Zinc (stress and illness both deplete zinc, and zinc is necessary for normal mood stabilization neurotransmitters like serotonin)

Vitamin D3 (low vitamin D is common, and is implicated in depression)

If you're not sleeping well (or are waking mid-sleep and having racing thoughts), consider 5-htp, a natural precursor to serotonin/melatonin.

It's completely normal to be stressed during a difficult time. Still, if you support your body's natural "stress fighters" with healthy food, restful sleep and extra vitamins, it can minimize the depression and anxiety.

Hugs,

Lisa

I think my problem is likely based on circumstances. There is a significant issue we dealing with in our marriage, and I am feeling rather overwhelmed with a number of other matters.

I don't believe it is anything that warrants medication; I just want to stop this cycle of crying, sadness and anxiety.

I probably need to work on changing my focus. Maybe I am dwelling on the problems instead of actively finding solutions.

For me, my depression was triggered by physically not feeling well, then the two things played off each other until I felt like I was diving head first into a hole that I had *no ability* to get myself out of. It took going on antidepressant/anxiety meds to make it possible for me to do the other things that would help me get my life back on track. I cannot even tell you how much the meds helped me. It didn't change my situation, but I wasn't controlled by the anxiety over stuff. When you are feeling hopeless and out of control, it is really hard to be pro-active and do things that will help your situation, or find positive things to focus on even when they are right in front of you. I don't know if that adequately expresses what I'm trying to get across, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

:grouphug: Chrissy I'm sorry for your troubles. I find I can handle any life circumstances (job loss, deaths, etc) as long as my relationships with my husband and kids remain solid. Depression is caused by changes in brain chemistry and can certainly have environmental triggers. Here's a good article that explains how it happens: http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/main/causes-of-depression/menu-id-943/

You may need medication for the short term just to feel a little less hopeless. If you are generally an emotionally healthy, active (rather than passive or reactive) person--which I can tell you are based on knowing you here for so many years--the medication can get you to a place where you can come up for air and allow your good judgment and generally positive attitude to kick in. There is a place for short term SSRI therapy and it sounds like you are living it. Think of it as blood pressure medication you take for borderline HBP. Then you lose 50 pounds and no longer need it. Sometimes your body chemistry needs a nudge to get past the hump.

Barb

That's true, but when one feels overwhelmed and drowning in life circumstances, the chemicals that are released in the brain as a result of negative triggers can set off a chain reaction that leads to clinical depression.

Barb

:grouphug: Chrissy I'm sorry for your troubles. I find I can handle any life circumstances (job loss, deaths, etc) as long as my relationships with my husband and kids remain solid. Depression is caused by changes in brain chemistry and can certainly have environmental triggers. Here's a good article that explains how it happens: http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/main/causes-of-depression/menu-id-943/

You may need medication for the short term just to feel a little less hopeless. If you are generally an emotionally healthy, active (rather than passive or reactive) person--which I can tell you are based on knowing you here for so many years--the medication can get you to a place where you can come up for air and allow your good judgment and generally positive attitude to kick in. There is a place for short term SSRI therapy and it sounds like you are living it. Think of it as blood pressure medication you take for borderline HBP. Then you lose 50 pounds and no longer need it. Sometimes your body chemistry needs a nudge to get past the hump.

Barb

:iagree:

You explained that so much better than I, Barb.

I am not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I would be very, very leary of "short term SSRI" meds. Some of them can be HORRIFIC coming off of. I know. I have been there. And this is even on low dosages. Sometimes the side effects are worse then fixing the depression.

*If* you are going to go on ANY SSRI, I would recommend Prozac, low dose, 10mg. It has a long shelf life and not horrible withdrawals. Or try an NRDI such as Wellbutrin.(Wellbutrin did not work for me, but has a good reputation,easy to withdraw from, plus no se*ual side effects)

Everyone reacts differently to SSRI's, but from a long time user of them, there is not ONE that you will not have some kind of W/D symptoms from. Tapering gradually helps, but almost everyone has some kind of W/D effect. If you don't, then you are one of the very lucky ones indeed.

And stay away from and SSNRI's. Those are especially bad. (Should be used only in the moset severe cases of depression)I have been off Effexor (and only 75 mg) since July and still feeling brain zaps.

Clinical Depression is a Chemical imbalance, and a *good* Psychiatrist can sit and evaluate your symptoms. If you have a good one, they will never prescribe meds to you unless you have sought counseling, made changes in your lifestyle, kept a journal, and go for bloodwork(sometimes depressin is caused by hormones and/or thyroid). After all of that is exhausted, THEN they would prescribe meds. Any Dr. who is quick to write a prescription for depression(unless you go in there and you have not been able to get out of bed for weeks, and claim you you want to end your life) you should run far awy from them and seek another Psych.

I went through a battery of things before being placed on medication. And it has changed my life. But I tried everything else first.

This is my opinion from someone who has suffered with clinical depression for over 15 years now.

I hope you feel better real soon because any kind of sadness is hard to deal with:grouphug:

Edited by dancer67

:grouphug: I am right there with you. Depression sucks, plain and simple. I am praying for the courage to seek professional advvice. In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers will be with you as you navigate this difficult time in your life.

Chrissy,

I'm sorry you're struggling. May I suggest some things to help your body deal with the stress/depression/anxiety?

First: Rest welll and eat well. Try not to load up on carbs -- get lots of antioxidant fruits and veggies.

Then, consider:

A B-complex vitamin with a decent amount of B6 and B12.

Extra Zinc (stress and illness both deplete zinc, and zinc is necessary for normal mood stabilization neurotransmitters like serotonin)

Vitamin D3 (low vitamin D is common, and is implicated in depression)

If you're not sleeping well (or are waking mid-sleep and having racing thoughts), consider 5-htp, a natural precursor to serotonin/melatonin.

It's completely normal to be stressed during a difficult time. Still, if you support your body's natural "stress fighters" with healthy food, restful sleep and extra vitamins, it can minimize the depression and anxiety.

Hugs,

Lisa

Have to admit that the vitamin D really seems to have been a factor in helping me cope with my depression, and with handling all that life is throwing at me right now. It has only been two weeks that I hav been on it, and life is still rough and very weird, but the D seems to help me handle it better- takes the edge off, I guess. This break from my family seems to be helping too.

Something I found very useful when people are tapering off antidepressants (not that I think that that is what you are doing) was to have them come in with a trusted and sensible family member (and since I treated 95% women, this was usually a sister) and make a "deal" (these were people who had had very troubling depression, but after a year on meds wanted to try going off). The deal was that IF this trusted person told the patient "it is happening again, you have to go back to the doctor", then the patient agreed to do so, without questioning it. Someone who knows you can see the "trend" of relapse, or that "something is not right".

For many people depression is a liar that whispers one thing in one's ear one day, and another the next. "Maybe I need some help. Oh, today's not so bad. Ugh, I shouldn't have canceled that appointment. Great, I have lots of energy today....if I'm a good girl and clean my whole house, that terrible feeling will never come back."

Many, not all, but many develop what my mother called "the wet cat look". The sodden, ears half-back, sour-faced look of a cat that just climbed out of the pond it fell into. I used to walk in a room with a patient and be able to say "you're not here because of your blood pressure, are you?" and out would come the tears.

I would run this by someone who knows you well whom you trust to be sensible and have your best interest at heart. Just a thought. :grouphug: and HTH.

:grouphug: I'm sorry you're feeling this way.

One thing that was helpful to me was to track my moods for 30 days. I found a form online and tracked my mood, noted if anything dramatic/traumatic happened that day, any meds or supplements I took, and my exercise.

Ironically we had more crap happen in that 30 days but it was very revealing about my mood swings. I started on St. John's wort, vitamin D, and am trying to exercise more often. I'm still trying to figure out things on my end but having some data to back up my feelings validated that something was going on.

One thing I know: Depression is a serious condition which, when left untreated, gets worse. Pride kept me from considering it a medical condition for decades, and when I finally sought medical help, I was astounded at how well the condition I had been living with for so long had been documented. In all cultures.

I had wasted so many years of my life living as a depressed person! Once I sought help I realized what a fool I had been.

Depression is debilitating. It changes the way we see and are able to process what comes our way.

I would guess that since you are concerned about depression, you could probably benefit from getting some medical help. Counseling can be helpful. But for some of us, medication is life changing. And there is no shame in that.

I am so glad I finally asked this question here!

I really appreciate all of your input.

I am just about due for a physical, so I'll make an appoinment with my doctor and have a discussion about this with him. In the meantime, I will get started on some of the supplements you suggested, Lisa.

Thank you all so much!