Menu

when do State history?

greenmamato3

i'm really confused about this:

when is it recommended to plug in our State History? Is that in Year 4 of the history cycle? is it separate from US History? is it totally open ended? do you do it more than once?

and what are the main curriculum options for US History? I tried searching the alread-posted threads for answers but i grew more confused.

:confused:

TIA

I've chosen to add in an emphasis on US and particular state history in SOTW 3 and 4. At this point, I plan to do so again in the 3rd and 4th year of the second go round. I'm using SOTW as the main spine, but I add in extra stuff when we get to a US topic (and add in additional US topics). That means that some of the other world topics get less time, usually meaning we don't necessarily do more than reading that chapter, then doing review questions, outlines and map work (this is in SOTW 4, and those things are included in the activity guide). In our case, I'm glad she will have a familiarity with what happened in Argentina, for instance, but I want her to actually *remember* some key points about the American Civil War, the world wars, etc.---key points in American history, so we spend more time on those.

For the first go-round, I'm using the Story of the USA workbook series by EPS, along with bios, historical fiction, Liberty's Kids, field trips to local sites, Brainpop videos and anything else that comes to hand.;) I have a state history book I picked up very inexpensively used (state history is done in 4th grade here), so I pull some of the history from that. The rest of the material (physical features, flag, motto, song, etc) I'm covering in geography this year (4th) along with states and capitals. She's also using an information pack from Borders about the presidents to make a notebook on them, including pictures, first ladies, vice presidents, term, role of the president, the white house, and a couple interesting facts about each one. She's in Girl Scouts, so I am also pulling in some local history badge/patch work as well.

We school year-round, so I am hopeful that we will finish up SOTW 4 in time for the start of 5th grade. I've laid out a schedule for history that helps me "do the next thing" and lists all the extra material I want to use and where I want to use it. This is a living document, and gets altered as we go along and see how the work is flowing. For readers, I took a lot of suggestions from Sonlight's cores 3 and 4.

For the second go-round, I plan to use k12's Human Odyssey along with Joy Hakim's History of the US and spread it out over 4 years.

Edited by KarenNC

We do state history in the summers and thrown inhere and there through the year. In the summer, we take field trips across the state to historic areas. We also frequent local museums such as the Pioneer Museum in our home town. We've been on historic railroads, ancient Indian burial grounds, cliff dwellings, haunted mines, the state capital, dinosaur dig sites, and there is still tons more to explore. State history is one of my favorite requirements.

when is it recommended to plug in our State History? Is that in Year 4 of the history cycle? is it separate from US History? is it totally open ended? do you do it more than once?

and what are the main curriculum options for US History? I tried searching the alread-posted threads for answers but i grew more confused.

TIA

I don't know when SWB recommends it, but I just did state history as we went along, rather than taking a specific lump of time to do it. Dc won't remember nearly as much if you do it when they are [insert age here] as they will if it's just part of your life, KWIM?

I would say that yes, it's different from U.S. history, as it is more focussed.

I really enjoy field trips, so for us Calif history was doing *lots* of field trips. If I'd lived in Virginia, goodness--we'd hardly have been home, lol.

Beautiful Feet Books has several study guides for American history, but if you aren't a Christian, or you don't care for Principle Approach and recording things in notebooks, you probably won't care for it.

At the high school level, my dd enjoyed BJUP's American history texts.

I know it won't be a common answer but I don't plan to do it at all. We're a military family and my kids were all born in different states and we've so far lived in RI, WA, VA, WI, and FL. So just figuring out which one to do would be tough.

Do I have each child study state history of the state they were born in.

Does each child do state history for all the states they have lived in.

Do we do state history for the one we're currently living in, and then do we do it again when we move somewhere else?

I wouldn't even know where to start figuring it out.

I know that some state laws require this "sub-subject," but IMO the idea of studying state history -- as a separate academic subject :confused: -- is just dumb. Do you know your state flower? :lol: Your state bird? :glare: Your state insect? :001_huh: Do you NEED to know these things in order to participate in the life and democratic functioning of your state?

More to the point, I think, is to explore wherever you happen to live, find out what there is that you never knew existed, and intentionally learn about your community.

In addition, students should be familiar with their current home state's geographic features (i.e., find it on a map; know neighboring states; know names of rivers, lakes, mountains, etc.; know state capital and own county name & seat), have some idea of the state's major features/attractions, and be familiar with the state's economic base (how people make a living there). But all of this could be learned in a weekend, or picked up from traveling and talking about life in the state. More than this, IMO, is Social Studies-style over-kill. Why would a 3rd grader need to know who his state assemblyman is? HTH.

We do US history at the same time as SOTW, simultaneously, every year, some years lighter than other years. This year we are reading books and biographies, and visiting websites that correlate. My oldest is doing the Story of the USA in addition to our studies, the younger children are only required to narrate and participate if we do a project.

Notebooking.com has a perfect state history notebook, but I don’t require a report until fifth grade. We do state history through life, in the form of field trips as well.

I know that some state laws require this "sub-subject," but IMO the idea of studying state history -- as a separate academic subject :confused: -- is just dumb. Do you know your state flower? :lol: Your state bird? :glare: Your state insect? :001_huh: Do you NEED to know these things in order to participate in the life and democratic functioning of your state?

I grew up in Michigan, and I remember learning all this stuff in 4th grade--it did interest me, and it still does. (someone in Michigan correct me if my memory is faulty--state flower: apple blossom; state stone: Petosky stone; state bird: robin; state animal: deer [whitetail deer?])

I live in another state now (Ohio), and I am not at all interested in this state's info! I wonder, though, will my dc find it fascinating?

Our state homeschooling law says we have to teach about the state of Ohio. BUT it does not say how much time has to be spent on it. I don't think it says that all subjects need to have equal weight.

What I think I will do is spend a little bit of time specifically on Ohio (I don't know when--I'm sure no one will object if I don't specifically do this for a couple of years yet, even though theoretically we're supposed to cover each subject in the required list each year), then we'll do a survey of all the states. I'm more interested in that--learning little interesting tidbits about several/all states. That might include coming across the state bird, state flower, etc... We'll probably do this state-survey in the 4th year of the rotation.

ETA: In hindsight, I don't think we were actually taught the state bird, etc.. stuff. We each were given a state map when we visited the state capitol building, and those things were on the map. That's where I learned them. I still have that map. :001_smile:

Edited by gardening momma

We did state history as a summer term using the resources from www.statehistory.net as well as the Abeka "My State Notebook". We joined the state historical society for a year and that let us into 26 different places around the state. We did lots of day trips and a few weekend trips to learn as many things as possible in a hands-on way. In MN state history is taught in 4th grade in the schools. Make sure to include a trip to your state capitol and see the legislature in session!

I think some states might have it as a requirement, but I think a few excursions would take care of it. I think it's good to have some sense of the history of your state/city, but I think a more natural approach by sight-seeing, attending museums, going to city hall or the state capitol, would teach a LOT.

I think it's a bit old fashioned to make it a HUGE DEAL because of most people's mobility. It reminds me of sports teams; it's not as if only Bostonians root for the Celtics or whatever. People change teams and move around!

I know it won't be a common answer but I don't plan to do it at all. We're a military family and my kids were all born in different states and we've so far lived in RI, WA, VA, WI, and FL. So just figuring out which one to do would be tough.

Do I have each child study state history of the state they were born in.

Does each child do state history for all the states they have lived in.

Do we do state history for the one we're currently living in, and then do we do it again when we move somewhere else?

I wouldn't even know where to start figuring it out.

I grew up in a military family. :) In fourth grade (a common grade for state history) I "learned" Alabama history because that is where we lived. I don't remember much of it now, but what I do remember is visiting museums and historical sites in Alabama with my family.

I think that taking your children to important places (historical sites, nature preserves, museums...) in each state/country where you are stationed is far more meaningful than a textbook study. Thinking back, my parents helped us get excited about each PCS by introducing us to the new state through maps and pictures of interesting/important places and then taking us to some of those places after we moved. I think I learned far more that way than I did in my 4th grade history class, and for the record, I have not been back to Alabama since I was 10 years old.

I guess my two cents here (if it's worth that much ;)) is to make the most of each PCS and not worry about an in-depth formal state history study unless you are stationed in a state that requires it of homeschoolers.

I'd think it would actually be MORE interesting to study a bit of state history as your family moved around the country, and would help solidify US history and a sense of different stages of national growth and whatnot. For example, the Battle of Bunker Hill is more memorable to me because I've seen the monument, so it is elevated from local trivia.

but honestly, most states IMHO simply don't have enough significant history to spend an entire year on.

I guess my two cents here (if it's worth that much ;)) is to make the most of each PCS and not worry about an in-depth formal state history study unless you are stationed in a state that requires it of homeschoolers.

That's the thing, unless the homeschool law specifically requires it, you probably don't need to put as much time into state study as other subjects. Like I said, Ohio's homeschool law says we have to teach "history of the United States and Ohio" but not for any certain number of hours out of the year (we have to "assure" the state that we will instruct for 900 hours per year).

I grew up in a military family. :) In fourth grade (a common grade for state history) I "learned" Alabama history because that is where we lived. I don't remember much of it now, but what I do remember is visiting museums and historical sites in Alabama with my family.

I think that taking your children to important places (historical sites, nature preserves, museums...) in each state/country where you are stationed is far more meaningful than a textbook study. Thinking back, my parents helped us get excited about each PCS by introducing us to the new state through maps and pictures of interesting/important places and then taking us to some of those places after we moved. I think I learned far more that way than I did in my 4th grade history class, and for the record, I have not been back to Alabama since I was 10 years old.

This is what we do. I don't think in-depth state history is necessary. I know growing up in WI we had state history our entire 4th grade year and I really don't remember much of it at all, but I do remember all the cool places my Aunt took me to for summer field trips throughout the state.

You do the state you're living in. Easy peasy. :-)

Not really that easy peasy sometimes. Since it's generally studied in 4th and that's where my dd will be when we most likely move next, so does she learn both states or just the one we start the year in, just the one we end the year in?

We've had times we only live somewhere for 8 months before moving, that could be a lot of different state histories to cover. We've had years where in 1 school year we've lived in 3 different states due to temporary stops on the way to the PCS because dh is off on deployment and we PCS in the middle.

That's why we just don't do it and learn about the important places in the states. Things the kids will actually remember, Do they really need to know every detail of the history of that state from the birth of statehood to present for everywhere we live?

If you move in the middle of a "school year," then do both.

I think it would be very interesting to learn more about the states where you're living. What a great experience! It doesn't have to be every single detail; what you're doing sounds just perfect. *I* would "count" that as state history...easy peasy. :-)

The way I do state history it does. Not being a snob, but my state has great historical sites. This year we went to a 12th century archaeological site, two gold rush boom towns, rode on a historic railroad, sat in the spot where America the Beautiful was written, and we found seashells buried in sandstone in the middle of the desert. We also went to two living history museums that recreate historical time periods, panned for gold, and visited a courthouse from 1870 that has been turned into a local history museum. Next summer, we are going to another 12th century archeological site, going to different boom towns, visiting some mines, and taking a hike into a riverbed that contains over 1000 brontosaurus tracks, and visiting a petrified forest. If we have enough summer, we are also hoping to go on a dinosaur dig.

Field trip, Baby. Field trips. State history is great and only limited by your imagination - unless you live in the west then it can also be limited by the distance your youngest child can carry a backpack.

You live in GA, you should go to Kolomoki Mounds Historic Park. It has mounds that were built between 250-950 AD.

Check out your state's list of state parks and historic sites as a starting point for places to go and see. State history is a great excuse to get to know the beauty and diversity of this country. - Now queue the patriotic music. ;)

I'll join the group that does not do a formal state history study. I think it is typically done in 4/5th grade but we have moved around a lot and so we just get books about whichever state we were in at the time, visit the history museums, other historic sites, camp at state campgrounds with ds doing a Jr. Ranger program informally. IMHO, we have learned quite a bit without spending a chunk of time on any one place and doing one specific project.

TIA

I'm lucky to live in VA--our state history is really the history of the US, at least in the beginning, anyway! lol

We also believe in field trips. Just went to Jamestown a couple of weeks ago, as a matter of fact.

I see state history in other states as just something interesting to do--rabbit trails type of thing. Since our diploma doesn't come from the state, we don't have to follow any guidelines about curricula.

I'm lucky to live in VA--our state history is really the history of the US, at least in the beginning, anyway! lol

:iagree:

I remember learning Va's state history in elementary school, but at the time I didn't realize it was just our state's history, I really thought we were just studying the history of the US!

I guess I would respectfully disagree with most of the posts though. I do think children should learn the details of their state's history. Although we are the United States, I feel it's still important to know the defining characteristics of your particular state and should hopefully spur a little extra local pride.

However, I don't think this is a subject that needs a full year devoted to it. Maybe a summer or a couple of months.

I grew up in Michigan, and I remember learning all this stuff in 4th grade--it did interest me, and it still does. (someone in Michigan correct me if my memory is faulty--state flower: apple blossom; state stone: Petosky stone; state bird: robin; state animal: deer [whitetail deer?])

ETA: In hindsight, I don't think we were actually taught the state bird, etc.. stuff. We each were given a state map when we visited the state capitol building, and those things were on the map. That's where I learned them. I still have that map. :001_smile:

I grew up in MI and remember all that too, and I enjoyed it at the time. I remember actually being taught all that and I still remember songs about MI we were taught in music class, like "The Tulips are blooming in Holland...Michigan." :001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm a little late to this conversation but I just read through it all and I say unless your state requires specific timing, do it when it seems most logical to you and only if you feel the need. For me, the need is strong because despite being a military family, we are Texans. Even if we were in Germany (where ds6, dd5 and I were all born), we would still study Texas history. Texas, of course, has a very interesting history so that helps. I separate the study of state history from the study of the history of any state/country we happen to be living in. Of course we take advantage of the unique field trip and historic options wherever we are sent.

It seems to me that people may decide to study state history (or not) depending on how strongly they feel tied to their state. Again, we're Texans, so state pride runs extra strong. :D We're studying Texas history throughout the two years of American history we're doing now, tying it in wherever it fits into the timeline (taking 2 out of the 8 weeks I've slotted for Native Americans to specifically discuss Texas tribes, later covering the Alamo, cowtowns and trails, etc. We'll do it again (but probably to a much lesser degree) when we do SOTW 3-4 in our four year world history cycle that will follow.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

It seems to me that people may decide to study state history (or not) depending on how strongly they feel tied to their state.

Agreed. In our case, most of my family has been in the same 50 mile radius since the 1770s, so our state history, especially that of our local part of it, is intimately tied to our family history. That means it gets emphasized more than it might otherwise.

Another factor for us is to develop a sense of belonging to the specific local area in which we live and to appreciate its unique characteristics. It's part of our overall religious observation, and includes trying to eat more locally, participate locally, that sort of thing. This falls a bit more into the geography/environmental studies aspect of studying state history. I want my daughter to develop a true "grounding" and awareness in where we fit into the universe, as well as how our environment, both physical and cultural, shapes our understanding of the world. Hopefully that will help her appreciate how changes in the physical environment impact and shape culture.

We did state history as a summer term using the resources from www.statehistory.net as well as the Abeka "My State Notebook".

I coudln't recommend this curr. highly enough. :-) LOVE IT!

I have used it with my kids and in a co-op setting. They provide many different schedules to use the book that would best fit your families needs. You can do it once a week and have it be a year long things, or do it in 6 weeks (and there are other schedule choices).

Just LOVE IT! :-)

~Tina in WA

• 4 months later...

I am not planning on doing a state history like the government schools do. While we are studying American history I will go over each state. but not mine in particular. I just feel that is to much social studies. I am not a social studies buff, i would rather learn the foundations of our history in our country and how it relates to each state in particular. nancyt.

We do state history in the summers and thrown inhere and there through the year. In the summer, we take field trips across the state to historic areas. We also frequent local museums such as the Pioneer Museum in our home town. We've been on historic railroads, ancient Indian burial grounds, cliff dwellings, haunted mines, the state capital, dinosaur dig sites, and there is still tons more to explore. State history is one of my favorite requirements.

I was going to do a state unit at one point, but I realized that they were doing just fine plugging different local buildings and field trips into the right places in our history studies without a focused unit.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: