Menu

What would be the easiest Latin program to use...

Pat in MI

Latin was a bust with older ds so we stopped doing it. We tried Prima Latina did alright with this, but LC I was were we stopped. We just couldn't stay motivated and ds hated doing Latin. Is there a program that you feel is easier, (maybe more fun ;) that you would recommend. I want to try Latin again with Dd. She will be in 4th grade when we begin.

Blessings,

Pat

Another Lively Latin fan here, and I agree with the other posters that it's easy to use and has a great deal of variety.

The website is really badly designed, and the author does not respond to questions posted to the forum she set up for the purpose, so if you have questions, you might want to e-mail them, as another poster recommends.

our kids are aged 5 and 6.5. we just recently started Song School Latin. what i like about it is that the 5YO can learn just by listening to the songs in the car with us and the 6.5YO can actually do the workbook and chapter lessons. It's easy to get it done and totally accessible for their ages. I realize that's definitely a lot younger than your DC ... nevertheless, i didn't want to *not* mention it as a really gentle option. :) i have already purchased Prima Latina for eventual use but couldn't dive in this year ....

HTH

We also tried LCI and just couldn't. In 4th, we went to Latin Prep. It is difficult for a 4th grader (actually anyone) but extremely easy to use. There is no teacher's manual; the book spells it all out. We supplement with Cambridge to add in more reading and the audio component. Then dd took an outside class in 5th that used Cambridge but this just served to put her one year back in Latin Prep which may have actually been benificial to allow brain development before getting back into the meat of Latin. Now we are in Latin Prep Bk 2 (almost half way through).

Latin is extrememly challenging! One must memorize declensions (write them every day for about a year), chant verb tenses(every model verb, every tense, every day for about a year, then at least once per week after that), chant irregulars, chant all vocabulary with review (remember to chant all principle parts of the verb and chant the dictionary form of the noun with gender) along with lots of HARD WORK. I didn't realize when we started this what we are up against. The decision to do Latin is huge. I liken it to adding in another completely different math program every day.

If I had known, I might not have had the gumption to take it on.

our kids are aged 5 and 6.5. we just recently started Song School Latin.

We did that for a very short while before moving on to Lively Latin. It was really too young for dd8, but was such fun, and gave us an opportunity to learn the pronunciation and some vocab, and to introduce the concept that many English words are derived from Latin. It's fun fun fun, and the 2yr old likes it too, so great car-listening.

• 2 years later...

1) Getting Started with Latin/I Speak Latin-done same time perhaps--doing this with 3rd grade, did it last year with my then 4th graders

2)Big Book of Lively Latin 1 and 2-want to do these with my 5th graders

3) ????? 6th grade

4)????? 7th grade

What do the rest of you think?

1) Getting Started with Latin/I Speak Latin-done same time perhaps--doing this with 3rd grade, did it last year with my then 4th graders

2)Big Book of Lively Latin 1 and 2-want to do these with my 5th graders

3) ????? 6th grade

4)????? 7th grade

What do the rest of you think?

Are you planning to use both Lively Latin books in one year with 5th graders? Have they already had lots of Latin? These are BIG books. It's not uncommon for people to spend a year or two on each (2-4 years total).

IBR plan after SSL is Getting Started with Latin and then Lively Latin.

Are you planning to use both Lively Latin books in one year with 5th graders? Have they already had lots of Latin? These are BIG books. It's not uncommon for people to spend a year or two on each (2-4 years total).

:iagree:

We really like Getting Started With Latin.

This is what my 4th grader is going to do this year also. (She has already done Prima Latina.)

I bought the Kindle version, and then went to their website and downloaded the free 132 mp3 lesson commentaries and the pronunciation guide. I then loaded all of these as audio files onto my Kindle... all for $9.99.

We are LOVING Visual Latin (http://www.visuallatin.com/). I've never taught Latin before, but I couldn't imagine an easier to use curriculum than this is. And the guy is funny and engaging to watch... I am actually excited about doing it. I am "teaching" it at our home school co-op. It makes more sense to me than other things I've seen because they are actually using it from Lesson 1 doing some translating...

We've just started Latin for Children so I can't provide much experience but I am surprised by my son's enthusiasm for it. He's begging for the activity book which I think is going to be necessary for keeping him busy but he's really into the CD chants. I found him listening to them on his own and trying to drill his PS friends on Latin. They thought he was weird but that's another story :glare:

I have tried LfC, Latina Christiana, Latin Prep, Song School Latin, and Getting Started with Latin. None of them have given my dc the enjoyment, understanding and sense of accomplishment as Visual Latin.

Dd9 is using it right now, as is my 14 yo who is syncing it to Henle. It is clear, to the point, engaging, efficient, and effective. Dd can tell me back, almost verbatim what the lesson was about each time because Mr. Thompson grabs the students attention and then gets straight to the point. Each segment, 3 per lesson, is no more than 10 - 15 minutes (I think some are actually only 6 or 8 minutes), and then the student has a worksheet to complete that reinforces what was taught. There are also several Latin readers free for download on the site. These have no English in them, start out very simply and build in difficulty as your student masters the vocabulary through actual use instead of in isolation like other programs.

I was a little concerned about the grammar being too much for dd9, but he does an excellent job of explaining the grammatical concept to the degree they need to know at the time. Dd, who has little to no formal grammar up to this point has been pointing out the grammar concepts taught in VL, in her composition and reading, so I know she is understanding it and remembering it. I haven't felt the need to add any other grammar to her schedule at this point...I think it would be overkill.

Well, I started out with the intention of saying, "Hey, you might want to check out VL!" and leaving it at that, but as you can tell, I'm really excited about this program.:D

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

With my dd5th we are doing Getting Started with Latin and Salvete! (OOP but I found both books and the teacher manual for about $10). Salvete is Minimus' predecessor. Way cheaper and still fun!

ETA: When we are done with this combo, we will be moving on to Latin Book One, which is available free (with answers) on the LB1 Yahoo group.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

We're a third of the way through Getting Started With Latin, and it's my son's favorite subject right now! I'll have to figure out what to use next year, but GSWL is a great way to â€get startedâ€. ;)

:iagree:

We tried LFC and ds10 found it a little dry and boring.

Getting Started with Latin has worked for us for now. It isn't his favorite subject but he likes it enough that he will remind me that we need to do it. ;)