Menu

Apocalypse Food

My MIL gave me what I affectionately refer to as apocalypse food. (It's from the LDS food storage folks). I'm kind of stymied as to what to do with this stuff, since I don't really plan on keeping it around until doomsday. Some of it is perfectly useful, like beans, macaroni, sugar, etc. But the the rest....

A pound of dehydrated onions, dehydrated carrots, and a couple of bags of wheat (maybe 2 or 3 pounds each). I can't envision what I'm going to do with that kind of volume of dried onions. And I like onions. I don't even know what one is to do with the wheat. I don't have a mill, and I can't make wheat bags since I have no microwave. So...what to do, oh creative frugal hive-folk?

Well, for pete's sake, how many did you eat? :001_huh:

:lol:

Man onion soup in things just hurts my stomach...I don't think I can digest them?? Also those dehydrated onions McDonalds uses. Ugh!

It is weird.

Just imagining a POUND of dehydrated onions is making me feel like going and laying down. :lol:

I would use the wheat but not the dehydrated things unless there was really an apocalypse.

Man onion soup in things just hurts my stomach...I don't think I can digest them?? Also those dehydrated onions McDonalds uses. Ugh!

It is weird.

Just imagining a POUND of dehydrated onions is making me feel like going and laying down. :lol:

Yeah, that sounds likely. They have a lot of...some kind of compound in them. I forget which. Personally, I loathe onions. It's funny that I love onion soup dip for chips, but then they repeat on me for days *barf* Once, I got a little tiny piece of that dried onion in my back tooth and couldn't find it to dig it out. Everything tasted like onion for awhile. I was so relieved when it was gone! Envisioning that pound of dried onion didn't do much for me either, hence my Freecycle idea!

A secret shame of mine is that I absolutely love the dehydrated onions McDonald's use. Are they gross, yes. Are they delicious anyways, also yes. I don't know why.

Well then, let me amend my first post to state:

What should I do that will most assuredly NOT cause epic digestive upset? :ack2:

Refrain from feeding them to Sis! :lol: (I'm sorry, I'm so tired and punchy.) I think most people can probably handle them OK. Seriously, soups and stews. They'll rehydrate nicely, and their effects will be diluted. Actually, my mom only uses minced, dried onions these days when she needs chopped onions. Just rehydrate them or saute them well first.

Dehydrated onions and carrots last a long time. You can open the bags or cans and store them in the pantry in covered jars. They both work well in recipes in which they "disappear." Carrot cakes, breads, soups, etc. benefit from reconstituted dehydrated carrots. I use the onions when I run out of fresh onions. My family does not notice. The ones I have do not have any added ingredients, so they do not cause digestive issues in my family. These may seem odd at first, but they are nutritionally fine and quite beneficial. Googling around a bit should provide additional ideas. Best wishes.

I used dried onions and carrots all the time. THey work great added to rice before cooking. With some herbs you can make something like rice a roni. i also put dried onions in my pizza crust and homemade bread, sprinkle them on raw hamburger and fry them up or mix it in for meatloaf or hamburgers.

I think it's hillbilly housewife (although I'm not sure) has a recipe for whole wheat blender pancakes (just google the phrase and you'll rind lots of recipes). Anyways, you put the wheat berries in and then use the blender to grind the berries. So you won't even need a mill to use them up. There are also recipes where you can cook the wheat berry and make a dish like a rice or barley side dish although I've never done that personally.

Great ideas. I'm such a fresh onion junkie, that I rarely see fit to put the dried ones in anything. The running joke at my house is "What's for dinner? She's sauteing onions and garlic. So we could be having pasta, casserole, chicken, pancakes, souffle, quiche, german chocolate cake..." ;) But the pizza dough seems like one of those times I would really use them. Thanks.

My MIL gave me what I affectionately refer to as apocalypse food. (It's from the LDS food storage folks). I'm kind of stymied as to what to do with this stuff, since I don't really plan on keeping it around until doomsday. Some of it is perfectly useful, like beans, macaroni, sugar, etc. But the the rest....

A pound of dehydrated onions, dehydrated carrots, and a couple of bags of wheat (maybe 2 or 3 pounds each). I can't envision what I'm going to do with that kind of volume of dried onions. And I like onions. I don't even know what one is to do with the wheat. I don't have a mill, and I can't make wheat bags since I have no microwave. So...what to do, oh creative frugal hive-folk?

I make homemade hamburger and hotdog buns/sandwich rolls and top them with toasted dried onions. They are super good, and can use up some of the wheat.

I don't have a mill, either, but do keep some wheat on hand (in the freezer.) Partly it's for the chickens, but I also use it to make fresh cream-of-wheat cereal. I just blend up a cup of wheat in the blender, combine it with 3-4 c. water & a bit of salt, bring to a boil, and then simmer, covered for 10-15 min. It's one of my dc's favorite breakfasts. Plus, it's cheap and nutritious. :thumbup:

There is a really yummy pancake recipe that uses whole wheat. You make it in the blender.

I'd post it, but I've lost mine, and now that I'm not LDS anymore I lost my easy source of wheat. ;)

Bummer. Did you get banned from the cannery?

In Idaho, they let non LDS folk use the cannery.

a

Great ideas. I'm such a fresh onion junkie, that I rarely see fit to put the dried ones in anything. The running joke at my house is "What's for dinner? She's sauteing onions and garlic. So we could be having pasta, casserole, chicken, pancakes, souffle, quiche, german chocolate cake..." ;) But the pizza dough seems like one of those times I would really use them. Thanks.

Hey! Me too :lol: I sometimes wonder if my cooking is boring because it always starts the same way, sauteing onions and garlic!

As for the dried food, I have no clue. The thought makes me ill. Blech.

You can get one of those little coffee grinder mills for next to nothing. That can be used to grind the wheat a half cup at a time, for pancakes or whatever.

Whole wheat also makes an excellent pilaf. You just cook it up like rice--I'm not sure of the actual cook time or water ratio, but it's easy enough to look up. Partly ground or more cooked, you can also use it for porridge.

I'd love to have food stores; I plan on starting on building one up after we have an emergency cash fund in place.

I don't have a mill, either, but do keep some wheat on hand (in the freezer.) Partly it's for the chickens, but I also use it to make fresh cream-of-wheat cereal. I just blend up a cup of wheat in the blender, combine it with 3-4 c. water & a bit of salt, bring to a boil, and then simmer, covered for 10-15 min. It's one of my dc's favorite breakfasts. Plus, it's cheap and nutritious. :thumbup:

Is a blender strong enough to blend up wheat berries??? I wonder if my Magic Bullet could do that? The girls would love it, and that regular box of cream of wheat is so pricey.

I'm going to have to try that in the morning. Thanks for the idea!

Is a blender strong enough to blend up wheat berries??? I wonder if my Magic Bullet could do that? The girls would love it, and that regular box of cream of wheat is so pricey.

I'm going to have to try that in the morning. Thanks for the idea!

DUDE!!! You have a Magic bullet?!? I am so jealous.

I love using dehydrated onions, but my last little batch (I don't cook a lot so I buy very small quantities -- it was maybe a cup or two?) got moldy. :confused:

I was wondering how long they'd last once you open them. Thought maybe you could freeze batches in ziploc bags, just to be on the safe side. I had bought a couple cans of freeze dried strawberries and raspberries (yummy, esp. the strawberries), and they lost their "snap" eventually, from moisture in the air in the cans after they were opened (not immediately after, but too soon, IMO).

I used dried onions and carrots all the time. THey work great added to rice before cooking. With some herbs you can make something like rice a roni. i also put dried onions in my pizza crust and homemade bread, sprinkle them on raw hamburger and fry them up or mix it in for meatloaf or hamburgers.

I use dehydrated onions all the time too, for soups and casseroles. I either put them in a small dish with water to reconstitute them, or I just toss them in soup. If I am in a real hurry, this is a huge time-saver. I HATE chopping onions. Bleh. The only time I do it is when I need to saute them, or I make a roast or something where I want bigger pieces of onions. I buy huge bottles of them at Sams, and I have never had them go moldy on me. They keep for forever. And no one on my family suffers from any digestive issues!