Menu

Ideas, Please: K for a very unusual kid

I'm open to any ideas:

Number Three turns 5 pretty soon and I'm starting to think about Kindergarten for the fall. This kid is VERY unusual and I'm looking at everything: MFW, HOD, Sonlight and even the possibility of not doing much at all!

I have 4 kids (and a baby), so I'm looking for something fairly easy to implement - a boxed deal would not scare me off...

This kid can NOT sink into her older brother and sister's curriculum, partly because the 7 yro is about at a 4th gr/late 3rd gr level and partly because the oldest 2 are REALLY competitive (and vicious :D).

#3 is probably a Social Sue based on Cathy Duffy's 100 Book. She is EXTREMELY fantasy-oriented. She spent a year wearing a Butterfly-Fairy Halloween costume every day, everywhere we went. She also tells complete strangers about the different colored-invisible wings she has- and the colors change with her mood. She talks to frogs in our yard and drew me a picture of her "angel". The other day she stood and sang a song to the cashier at Shop N Save. (Yeah, where did I go wrong with this one, you might ask?? :D) She has about a 5 minute attention span (she can barely make it thru one lesson in 100EZ) unless it is some kind of art thing - then she can spend all day on it. She can't sit and do any type of workbook exercise. My friend let her look at ETC and she just started creating scenes with the pictures in the exercise.

I'm kinda lookin' at Oak Meadow (which I know is far from WTM), doing Sonlight K (I think she could give a :001_huh: about the history portion, though), MFW, HOD (but I'm confused about their curriculum) and I've even thought about holding off until the mothership brings her back to Earth, if that's possible.

I'm so massively Type A, I can't believe this one wasn't accidentally switched in the Labor and Delivery ward. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone have a 5 yro like this? What do you use? :glare:

I got a kick out of the description of your dd! She sounds like a hoot!

I have never hs a young one, so I don't have any ideas.

I am using OM for my 13 year old and finally found something that fits his personality. You mentioned you are Type A, so Oak Meadow might be a nice fit, as it is pretty much all laid out for you (at least at the middle school level). We love the hands-on stuff.

Enjoy your special little girl!

I would do something like Ambleside Online where you read lots and lots of stories. Aesop's Fables. The Blue Fairy Book. Stories for Science and such.

SOTW would be a good choice because there seem to be fables aka fanciful tales for every chapter in that book.

Those are just ideas off the top of my head.

HOD wasn't a fit for my kids, but it sounds like it would be a good fit for your dd4. It is basically a schedule written out for you to use different curriculum from different publishers with a Charlotte Mason spin to it.

I did Little Hearts with my ds6.5 over the summer and it was fun. They have a lot of arts and craftsy things to do and it uses Christian Liberty Press for History (History for Little Pilgrims). I would recommend getting the coloring book that CLP sells to go along with this. The science is light but fun. The math they recommend is Singapore Earlybird and I loved it. The storytime was Thornton Burgess books that sound like a perfect fit for your dd. The animals wear clothes and talk and it is really fun books. The handwriting I used was A Reason for Handwriting K. It is a really good book and I have heard if you buy their teacher's guide from ARFH it has good science to go with the animal that goes with the letter you are learning to write. HOD also uses 2 of the R&S preschool books for motor skills. All in all it is a good pre-k/kindergarten program.

It wasn't a good fit for us b/c it said k/1st and ages 5-7 on the guide and I would say it is really a good pre-k for an advanced learner or a good k for a fanciful student.

It doesn't take long and it sounds like it would be a good fit for your child.

Sounds like your going to have to go way out of the box for this one. She sounds like a definite visual-spatial. I have one of these.(Who could handle two?) Try this site http://www.custom-homeschool-curriculum.com It gives great information on different learning styles and has suggestions for curriculum suited to each style. If you decide she is definitely visual-spatial check out the visualspatial.org website.

Aime

Guest RecumbentHeart

She sounds a lot like my son so I am interested in the suggestions as well.

Right now we're following the basic outline of LCC with phonics, math and writing practice daily and then a different extra activity for each day of the week. The core is brief but consistent and it's amazing how much he picks up over time despite just 5-10 minutes on the topic each day and then the extra stuff we cover is driven by his interests (he is always pretending to be a wild animal so that's a great cue for what to explore for "science" for example).

Our core looks like this: For phonics he just reads a page or two from Phonics Pathways and his attention span for that is satisfied. Now that he's moved past two letter blends we're down to half a page. On a good day I can actually move on to math and writing straight after one another, otherwise I have him run off and play for a little bit before coming back to the next one. For writing he does a couple of lines of letters a day and we call it done (I prepare this for him myself, no pre printed curriculum although there is free stuff online we sometimes use). Math I keep brief as well. We're using Horizons K. He loves manipulatives and when we're done working with them he's free to play with them.

I had a five year old like that. Actually, he's still like that but expanding attention span for things that aren't in his own imagination slowly.

I did HOD Little Hands (the preschool) with him at five and it was a great fit for us. I do like bible story stuff though and I wouldn't do it unless you like that and it fits your family. Anyway, the activities are active, imaginative, and don't require a long attention span. It's not heavy academic wise but so short that if you want to add to it (phonics beyond letter sounds, math) you can. We did RightStart math. When we move into HOD Little Hearts (at six with him) I think we'll have to ease into it just because of attention span.

You can print out samples of both programs on the HOD website and see if either fit her to sort of try it out.

Edited by sbgrace

You know, that makes a lot of sense. I think she might be a visual-spatial learner. I also think Singapore math might be a good fit for her, if I could get her to sit down that long. I have another kid using singapore...:glare:

Thanks again for the suggestions!! :001_smile:

That sounds like my daughter at that age. She was the most imaginative person I've ever known, quite unlike the rest of us. I remember crossing a bridge over a large river when she was about three years old. She told us she could see cows out in the water, and she started counting them. She was so serious about them really being there that I halfway wondered if she had real hallucinations. She's still imaginative, but it's different than it used to be. I don't have any advice for you about curriculum. Nothing formal I ever tried worked until about age 7.5. Reading took much longer than I thought it should because everything was a game to her, and my gentle prodding to turn those games into a reading lesson never went over well. She's been a late bloomer academically, but she's a fantastic, fun, interesting person.

Maybe Pollard's series for phonics? It's very whimsical, it has a lot of songs and animal sounds for the letter sounds. Also, she could color the pages after you're done, the art is great.

The Pollard series is about halfway down the page.

Her First Book For Little Folks was written later, it combines spelling and phonics. Otherwise, you're supposed to use the Synthetic Speller with the Primer and then the First Reader. The Primer they scanned is well used, you might have to buy that one. They're usually not that bad for their age, I got all the books for between $10 to $20 each. Her manual has great instructions.

I've homeschooled 2 unique individuals for a number of years. Any sort of prepackaged curricula never fit them so I made it up as we went along.

My suggestions would be to read aloud and have lots of audio books, and as someone mentioned, I'd go with classic fairy and mythology stories. Does she like to draw? sew? She could do those while listening to an audio book. Let her draw stories and dictate them to you. Have her memorize poems. Have her narrate orally what she has read. Do some manipulate math and work on handwriting, but make that formal time as short as possible.

Science could be all nature based -- plant a "fairy garden", for instance. Let her look for bugs, make leaf rubbings and make up stories about the natural world around her. If you have some nature guides she could start identifying birds and bugs. I bet there's lots of great picture books that would engage her with science in this way.

History can just be mythological stories from around the world -- you can look on the globe to find the countries of origin for the stories. I don't know the fairy world -- it was dragons here and many dragon books described the different dragons from around the world.

This may seem extreme, but I left my kids and their imaginations alone for the bulk of their days and didn't stress about formal school until they were about 4th grade. I didn't neglect them -- they learned to read, write and were on grade level with math, but we didn't more than those 3Rs until then and they are fine. The more dramatic one who wore costumes much of the year when he was 3, is now a theater guy and lighting designer and is heading to work at Disneyworld. The other one, the dragon nut, is still a fanatsy buff, but is a well written science buff.

So do what ever harnesses her imagination -- a good education can be had far outside the box. She sounds like one wonderful kid!

I don't know if this would work for everyone but I just decided that I'd have to force him to be part of earth for a little while and told him he could go back to playing as soon as he is done his work.

And reading books aloud was probably the most importAnt thing of all!!! Even if I could only get a half a page of phonics or math out of him, I knew hecwas absorbing so much in the books we read!

I suugest SL pre-k for her, but use it for K. I think they call it pre-k 4/5 now. It was easy and tons of fun, and get all the books they recommend for the 3r's except not Horizons Math.

Math was especially tough for us- we never did find one my ds loved but he likes math, I suggest waiting till first grade and using Miquon. If you can hang in there with Miquon your dd will Probably have the perfect math.

And yes, research on visual spatial is in order!!!

Ariel is sounds very similar. This week she had a substitute for piano and when he asked her name she told him it was Blue Fairy. She also has spent at least a day a week dressing up as Kiki (from Kiki's Delivery Service) complete with red mary-janes and a broom for the last year.

I would suggest either Oak Meadow (since it incorporates art and music) or some kind of literature based curriculum. Ariel thought FIAR was great because she got to read stories several times in a row. Moving Beyond the Page has also been a good fit since it is lit based unit studies and it isn't all worksheets. I hesitate to recommend Sonlight, though, since it probably doesn't have enough hands on stuff and she will quite likely want to discuss the book with you while you are trying to read. I definitely recommend an art skills curriculum. Atelier has gone over swimmingly here, and Ariel is of the opinion that more art is better.

For math, something experiential like Miquon, Right Start and MEP would probably go well. We do a combination of all three and Ariel enjoys it, though I don't recommend it for everyone, my child just likes math.

I think she might like the way Oak Meadow teaches reading, the letters are incorporated into pictures, so lowercase g is drawn as a goose dipping its head under water, for example.

Hmmmmm...thank-you all so much. I really needed some insight into this kid. I'm going to look at all these curriculum suggestions.

I'm really glad that we're homeschooling, because (after dealing with the public school for two years) I think this particular kid would have a REALLY hard time this fall. The Early Childhood Center for our school district was trying to tell me that she will have ADHD. I could only imagine the phone calls I'd be getting next August from her kindergarten teacher. :glare:

Hopefully, someday when she's a famous dragon-slayer, inter-galactic explorer, fairy surgeon or published fantasy novelist, I can sigh in relief that I found SOMETHING that she could be interested in...

But, you're right, she is a fascinating and entertaining little person. :D

Guest Dulcimeramy

I would use Waldorf ideas for this little one!

I do not ascribe to Steiner's philosophies and beliefs AT ALL, but some of the elements of a Waldorf-style home education would probably make your little girl very happy.

A million fairy tales and nature stories

Natural, open-ended playthings like playstands, playsilks

Handicrafts such as knitting and weaving

Festivals, rituals, routines

Math Gnomes

I would do nature study science, but also hands-on, how-things-work activities. I'd provide things to take apart and put back together.

My little boy loves to follow the festivals and rituals in these books. They are making his kindergarten year so rich and memorable:

The Children's Year by Cooper, Fynes-Clinton, and Rowling

All Year Round by Druitt, Fynes-Clinton and Rowling

Festivals, Family, and Food by Carey and Large

I used Oak Meadow K with my eldest. It wasn't a great fit for him, but he sounds like almost the complete opposite of your dd. From your description, it sounds like it might be as close to a perfect fit for your dd as you could get in a pre-packaged curriculum. I bet she'd really like it. :) (for example, one activity I remember, that B was only half-hearted about, was learning the alphabet via stories and then painting or drawing a special picture for each letter in a special "lesson book".)

I agree with the suggestion to try Oak Meadow. Your dd will learn a lot, but in a very fun and creative way. I think it would be a great fit because your dd would be encouraged to use her natural creativity.

I would also think about having her dictate stories to you so you could write them down, and then have her illustrate all of the pages. It would be fun for both of you, and just think of how cool it will be in a few years to look back and marvel over her creativity. When she gets older, she can start doing some of the writing on her own.

She might also have a great time with the Draw Write Now books for handwriting practice.

You are so lucky to have such a cool kid!!!

Cat

PS. Tell her the truth about the pennies. There's no such thing as man and lady pennies. Pennies are all men. It's the hundred dollar bills that are the ladies. As such, the men get the pennies and the ladies should get all of the hundred dollar bills. (They're never too young for a lesson in personal finance... ;) )

I have an older ds and then b/g twins. My boys are very bright, detail oriented, don't mind sitting down for school and are generally easy to parent and teach. However, my dd marches to the beat of her drum. I have actually had friends who are ps teachers tell me that it's a good thing I hs because they wouldn't know what to do with such a bright but unusual student. (Sometimes, I don't know what to do with her either.):001_smile: Our friends often ask us for the newest "Caileigh" story. She is lively, creative and has a mind of her own.

We have used MFWK for all three of ours and it has worked well for all of them. Caileigh loved it because it was hands-on, fun and we changed topics every 10 minutes or so. (We call her the "that was so 5 min ago" girl) Math is all hands-on games and the reading is very visual.

We love MFWK here.:001_smile:

I don't know if this would work for everyone but I just decided that I'd have to force him to be part of earth for a little while and told him he could go back to playing as soon as he is done his work.

And reading books aloud was probably the most importAnt thing of all!!! Even if I could only get a half a page of phonics or math out of him, I knew hecwas absorbing so much in the books we read!

I suugest SL pre-k for her, but use it for K. I think they call it pre-k 4/5 now. It was easy and tons of fun, and get all the books they recommend for the 3r's except not Horizons Math.

Math was especially tough for us- we never did find one my ds loved but he likes math, I suggest waiting till first grade and using Miquon. If you can hang in there with Miquon your dd will Probably have the perfect math.

And yes, research on visual spatial is in order!!!

I just wanted to say that I'm using P4/5 for K this year with my 5yo and LOVE it!! I'm taking a "focus on the 3r's" approach to K and P4/5 just adds a bit of fun to the day. We're also adding in P3/4 books (buying them one-at-a-time as I can afford it) for my 3 and 5yos because they are just great stories.

Guest Cindie2dds

I was going to second Oak Meadow. It is very different from Sonlight, which is what we started with; but I have to admit, it is really fun for the younger years.

I think she would love MFW K or OM. Make some big, beautiful, blue butterfly wings and fly around for a week in the shape of a big B. I have both and if I had 4 kids and a baby, I'd go with MFW K since it's easier on mom. MFW has two worksheets per day, which could be stretched out to one per day, making each week last two weeks. OM has no worksheets, you use a blank page journal for the main lesson book. :)

I am replying to the post about Phonics Musuem. I loved using that program and have many good things to say about it, but I don't think it would be a good fit in this situation. Sometimes the lessons took us as long as 45 minutes--which worked for us, because it covered so much--but most likely wouldn't work for this charming young women.

I think I would wait until next fall, when she is an older five/ closer to six, for one thing.

I would lean heavily towards doing Oak Meadow or Enki. Those really sound like a good fit for her. Here's a link for Enki. http://www.enkieducation.org/html/holistic-education.htm

Ponder if you want to work on teaching her to read between then and now (I probably wouldn't), or if you are going to want to add in a slightly more rigorous approach to reading than OM or Enki then.

Read her lots of books. The booklists from Sonlight are good. Folktales and fairy tales are good. Let her do art and play pretend. Encourage her to spend as much time outside as you can.

Enjoy!

Edited by Terabith

I would do something like Ambleside Online where you read lots and lots of stories. Aesop's Fables. The Blue Fairy Book. Stories for Science and such.

SOTW would be a good choice because there seem to be fables aka fanciful tales for every chapter in that book.

Those are just ideas off the top of my head.

This was 2 of mine to a tee. LOL!!! Delightful.

Ambleside Online Year 1 was great for them. That and LOTS of art materials and playtime.

Faithe

Be forewarned that you cannot resell Enki books, and they require a lot of reading and work on mom's part. I spent hundreds of dollars on these books and now they mostly just sit on the shelf because I can't sell them. Oak Meadow and Christopherus are cheaper and resellable waldorf curriculums.

Can you gift them to someone? Who might at another time reciprocate with a gift to you?

You know, that makes a lot of sense. I think she might be a visual-spatial learner. I also think Singapore math might be a good fit for her, if I could get her to sit down that long. I have another kid using singapore...:glare:

Thanks again for the suggestions!! :001_smile:

You might consider MEP math for her, too. It is similar to Singapore, and the lesson plans even include stopping and singing a song, or doing movements. It's meant to give the kids a break to decompress their brains, you know. It's worked really well for my visual-spatial who is now in 5th grade. It's hands on math. But you don't have to buy fancy manipulatives. We just used our stuffed animals, or legos, or little clay figures we spent 6 hours carving the day before. (Where do they get this freakish attention span to do that kind of arty stuff? But don't ask them what you just said!)

You might consider MEP math for her, too. It is similar to Singapore, and the lesson plans even include stopping and singing a song, or doing movements. It's meant to give the kids a break to decompress their brains, you know. It's worked really well for my visual-spatial who is now in 5th grade. It's hands on math. But you don't have to buy fancy manipulatives. We just used our stuffed animals, or legos, or little clay figures we spent 6 hours carving the day before. (Where do they get this freakish attention span to do that kind of arty stuff? But don't ask them what you just said!)

:iagree:My first grader calls MEP "color math" because there is a lot crayon use in it. I call it puzzle math. It is very hands on and very creative! And now that I think about it, it would fit your dd to a tee because some of the problems my daughter really thinks outside of the box and I let her.

Example (I don't remember exactly): The other night she had to draw 6 sets of 2 balls, using three colors. No set could be like another. So, one set would have a green and red ball, another would have red and white, another would have red and red and so on. Wouldn't you know, instead of drawing them all plain, she drew some with polka dots, some with stripes. This program really allows her to think of patterns and numbers in a way that's natural to her. Miquon is also a great math program that your dd might like!

Edited by lisabees

PS. Tell her the truth about the pennies. There's no such thing as man and lady pennies. Pennies are all men. It's the hundred dollar bills that are the ladies. As such, the men get the pennies and the ladies should get all of the hundred dollar bills. (They're never too young for a lesson in personal finance... ;) )

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can you gift them to someone? Who might at another time reciprocate with a gift to you?

According to the Website, nope. You can resell them within 6 weeks of purchase if you hate them and after that, they don't want you to even give them away. :thumbdown:

Your dd sounds like my dd, who is now 17. At 4 she kept the helping parents at our preschool co-op confused by changing her name each day to something like "crystal" or "diamond" or "rainbow." She wore party slips and wings over her clothes and patent leather and sparkles out to play. She saw "fairies" in the dust that sparkled in the sunshine, and I sometimes worried that she was seeing things that weren't there LOL. With this type of child, I would wait to do a formal school program until she is at least 5, and then I second the suggestions to try Oak Meadow - never used it but looks great - or Sonlight 4/5, which we recently used for a busy boy's K year. Lots of great stories, still including pictures and fairy tales and wonderful brain food. We used Sonlight's K LA alongside that year.

FYI, my very busy girl, left to her own devices, taught herself to read before she was 5 and is now an incredibly creative and talented pianist, singer and artist who wants to study music. You will have fun seeing who this creative dd of yours becomes!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Your dd sounds like my dd, who is now 17. At 4 she kept the helping parents at our preschool co-op confused by changing her name each day to something like "crystal" or "diamond" or "rainbow." She wore party slips and wings over her clothes and patent leather and sparkles out to play. She saw "fairies" in the dust that sparkled in the sunshine, and I sometimes worried that she was seeing things that weren't there LOL. With this type of child, I would wait to do a formal school program until she is at least 5, and then I second the suggestions to try Oak Meadow - never used it but looks great - or Sonlight 4/5, which we recently used for a busy boy's K year. Lots of great stories, still including pictures and fairy tales and wonderful brain food. We used Sonlight's K LA alongside that year.

FYI, my very busy girl, left to her own devices, taught herself to read before she was 5 and is now an incredibly creative and talented pianist, singer and artist who wants to study music. You will have fun seeing who this creative dd of yours becomes!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Love it!! :001_smile: