Menu

Do your PS friends know HS laws, and vice versa?

I was up at my daughter's (private) preschool today helping with a decoupage project for their fall festival, and of course I'd brought my son with me along with some of his work that he could do independently. One of the other parents asked me what my son was working on, and I told her. She seemed pretty intrigued that he was working on Latin (Song School Latin) and asked what the requirements were for homeschooling. I told her there were basically none in our state and explained why. She was amazed and asked for more information, which I gave. By the time I got done, both preschool teachers were listening as well as a couple of other parents. The teachers wanted to know whether I had to participate in standardized testing (I do not unless I choose to); the parents wanted to know more about the state's educational requirements. It had never occurred to me until today how little I knew about homeschool laws before I started researching them and living with them. I still don't necessarily feel very educated. Because I live in a very easy state for homeschooling, there isn't a whole lot to it, and I know a lot of folks out there deal with a lot more than I do. Do your PS friends know about the HS laws for your state and what you have to deal with? If they don't, do you think they should? On the other hand, do you know the attendance and other requirements for your local public school? Even though my kids have never gone to public school, I still know about all the requirements, just in case. I'm completely type A like that.

Just made me curious :)

Generally speaking most people have no idea what the laws are regarding homeschooling unless they are doing so themselves. I have found people that are quite adamant about informing me of incorrect laws on this issue. I have no idea where they get their info from. I have also found this to be a problem regarding immunizations. I can't tell you how many arguements I have had with people in the medical establishment trying to give me incorrect info on the laws regarding immunizations. Schools are sometimes uninformed on this issue as well.

My friends dropped their jaws when I told them that in TX, homeschool = private school. No mandatory test, no reg, no nothing. They also sometimes ask about curricula thinking that I may have gotten my curricula from PS, and I said," No, I concoct our own curricula." The next question usually is: "Where do you buy your curricula ?" And I said, "Internet, of course."

Usually after that they inquired about high school graduation. They have a hard times believing that if a child is not interested in college that he's not required to do any standardized testing whatsoever to graduate. College entrance is of course a completely different ball, so I told them what I've learned in the HS board.

Most non-homeschoolers I come in contact with know little to nothing about homeschool regulations. They usually have the idea that homeschooling has to look exactly like public school (CA history in 4th grade, sitting at a desk, etc.) or they are under the impression that it is a free-for-all.

Dh and I are very well versed in educational law. He is a public school teacher.

Most people I talk to don't know anything about homeschooling. I have a 2 page print out that explains how we homeschool and ways to get started for people who are interested. I got tired of writing web addresses on the back of receipts. LOL It works much easier for me and then I don't feel like I'm talking their ears off.

I do know all the requirements of public school. I don't necessarily know the calandars though.

Among my friends (even the ps teacher ones), I'd say none of them have any idea of the requirements.

I've been asked numerous times, "Are you even allowed to do that?"

My ps teacher friends are aghast at the thought that I may not be following the state grade level standards precisely! Who knew that you could learn state history in 4th grade instead of 5th? And don't even get them started on TWTM methods - "Learning about ancient history at the elementary school level? Are you insane, woman?"

I don't know why someone would know hs law if they didn't hs. I guess I understand that an occasional teacher may, just due to being in the industry, but my experience is that this is the exception to the rules. I get asked basic homeschool laws/rules/how to by teachers all the time.

Unless someone has an interest in hsing or talks with hsers often, they aren't just going to pick it up from the newspaper or similar sources.

I don't think there are many laws to know about with public school that have changed since most of us were there. There is still compulsory attendance, the calendar changes yearly, almost all schools still use A-F and a 4. (or 5.) system.

My non-hsing friends don't know hs laws. I suspect it is because it doesn't affect them directly, so they haven't had a need to know - until they decide to hs and come and ask. Many people don't have knowledge of business laws because it doesn't affect them directly because they don't own a business. Most people who don't run a daycare don't know about state child care laws.

If more people knew hs laws it would eliminate a lot of misunderstanding and incorrect statements.

Nope, and nope, although the only public school laws that most parents need to know are the compulsory school ages.

I've met a lot of people that don't even understand THAT.

Several states have or are changing their rules to make Kindergarten mandatory. This is causing much confusion among parents. They think they are now required to send their children to school at age 5 even though their state's compulsory attendance law says age 6.

I can't tell you how many time's I've had to explain this to people.

If more people knew hs laws it would eliminate a lot of misunderstanding and incorrect statements.

This is true. But in some ways I am glad that not everyone knows what the hs laws are. Can you imagine if the anti-homeschoolers knew how few requirements or how little reporting is required in some states? They would be screaming and demanding that more restrictions and requirements be placed on us.

No, but I don't expect them to either, as there's really no need for them to unless they're exploring the idea of homeschooling themselves. However, I'm sometimes disturbed to come across homeschoolers who are only vaguely familiar with our state law and still feel free to advise others on how to comply with it. I've even heard incorrect information given by speakers at our monthly support group meetings.

A lot of mainstream people here think that home schooling is either:

A. totally illegal

B. only allowed if the parents are qualified school teachers

C. only allowed if you follow the state curriculum

As in the US, Australia has different home schooling laws for each State and Territory. I am lucky to live in a State with pretty slack rules. :)

I've overheard kids begging their parents to homeschool them, and I have had several friends express an interest in homeschooling to me. In the end many of them believe it would be too difficult, or that they couldn't make it without the second income, or that they would not be able to manage the workload.

But as far as understanding the laws, few non-homeschoolers do, as far as I can tell.

where my children would have gone if not homeschooling didn't even know homeschooling laws. At a party once, she started trying to argue with me about what they were so when I got home, I went to the NJEA (New Jersey Education Assoc.) website and printed the laws directly from that site for her to read.

fwi, she was not against homeschooling and actually encouraged me to continue homeschooling because she knew how bad the schools actually were.

It is so funny about those state history requirements. WIth number one, around that age, we were living in California and ahd a great tiem learning history. We visited so many historic places. With number three, we were living in Florida and had been there for only a year and a half, and my youngest took FLorida history and Geography in co-op. She was in fifth grade. THe funny thing was that she had visited more Florida places then the other, lifelong residents of the class.

But the funniest thing is that we were overseas when my middle one was in those grades. She learned plenty about Belgium but not about any state in the US. (We have been going over government state issues in my govt class:001_smile:)