Menu

Runners: I won my age division in a 5K today!

Today was my sixth 5K, and it was a little one to benefit a local center that provides services for adults with developmental disabilities. The course was described as "easy", but I begged to differ: the last mile was almost entirely uphill! LOL

Nevertheless, I ran my 2nd best time ever... 31:51, which was enough to win first place in my age group! I got a trophy and everything!!!

If you're interested, I put a few pictures up on my blog. My mom was here for the race and went with me to document the event! Here is the post.

Today was my sixth 5K, and it was a little one to benefit a local center that provides services for adults with developmental disabilities. The course was described as "easy", but I begged to differ: the last mile was almost entirely uphill! LOL

Nevertheless, I ran my 2nd best time ever... 31:51, which was enough to win first place in my age group! I got a trophy and everything!!!

If you're interested, I put a few pictures up on my blog. My mom was here for the race and went with me to document the event! Here is the post.

Awesome!!!! I am so proud. You have made me want to get up and run....I mean walk...in the morning. I've done nothing all summer....must get back to it.

Congrats!~

That is FANTASTIC!!!!! Congratulations! I think 5Ks are the hardest races to run, so I should really say: DOUBLE congratulations! :D

P.S. Thank you for posting this as I'm :chillpill:ing before driving up to my first ever 18 mile race. You made my jitters just go away with your success story. I appreciate it.

That's great and so exciting! I'll be running my first 5K in a couple of weeks. Well, I'll be walking/running using the C5K program. My time is way slower than yours! My DH has promised me there will be even slower people so it's highly unlikely I'll be the very last one to cross the finish line. :tongue_smilie:

Wow!!!!! Congratulations!! That's huge! I agree with the pp who said that the 5K is a hard race to run.

So, when's your next race??

Next one is my first ever 10K in two weeks! I'm trying hard not to be nervous!!

Also...we put our deposit down for the Princess Half in 2010, and at the end of the month we're supposed to register for the race!

I just looked at the pictures and you really look like a runner!!! What an exciting day. What did your kids say?

They were so excited! I should post that picture, too! When I got home, I apologized for being later than expected, but that I had to stay for the awards ceremony because I won my age division! They all crowded around me and were thrilled! Then my family took me out for mexican food, which is even better than a trophy! LOL

I'm not a runner, but that's very exciting! Congratulations!! I ran in a few 3-5K races when I was much younger, before my spinal fusion surgery, and remember distinctly more than one crowd cheering me on as I finished dead last.:) Must feel great to actually win and get a trophy!!

It was great! This is my first ever trophy... my first time being good at something physical! :)

That is FANTASTIC!!!!! Congratulations! I think 5Ks are the hardest races to run, so I should really say: DOUBLE congratulations! :D

P.S. Thank you for posting this as I'm :chillpill:ing before driving up to my first ever 18 mile race. You made my jitters just go away with your success story. I appreciate it.

Hope you have a great race today!! 18 miles is a nice long way! :)

That's great and so exciting! I'll be running my first 5K in a couple of weeks. Well, I'll be walking/running using the C5K program. My time is way slower than yours! My DH has promised me there will be even slower people so it's highly unlikely I'll be the very last one to cross the finish line. :tongue_smilie:

Beth, are you doing the race in Cumming in two weeks? I'm running the 10K in that one (my first 10K) and my friend is running the 5K.

Edited to add: And there will be slower people than you, even walking. Yesterday the last person finished in close to an hour and everyone was cheering him on, too!!

Thanks to everyone else I didn't get to personally!! I want to encourage anyone to try to run/walk even if you think (or KNOW) that you can't! A year ago I would have told you that there's no way I can run. No way on earth... I have a bad knee, my family has bad knees and joints, etc. I started Couch to 5K and started SLOWLY, and I'm still slow, really! This race, there just happened to be people slower than me! LOL

October 21st will be my one year anniversary of running! :)