Menu

If you eat mostly organic, how do you afford cheese?

We're mostly organic/whole foods/no artificial, etc. (We've been known to eat choc chip cookies, etc.-we're not totally stringent about it!) We also do raw milk, homemade kefir and yogurt, etc. So I HATE to get non-organic cheese, but organic is SO expensive! I even tried to make my own mozzerella from the raw milk but it is a low yield cheese so one gallon/milk only made a little ball of cheese, and it was too much work.

And with cheese being such a concentrated dairy product, it seems it would be even more important to get organic! I am careful with money-often shopping three different stores to be able to get the best prices on organic, buying bulk, cooking almost all from scratch, etc.

We aren't huge cheese eaters, but we do like it. I need mozz for pizza, cheddar for putting on baked potatoes, maybe swiss for occasional sandwiches, that kind of basic thing. Especially now with eating less meat, several vegetarian recipes that I'm finding call for cheese! So how do y'all do it w/out breaking the budget? :confused:

It is expensive!

I save money by

*shredding my own cheese

*dividing it up in advance for meals I KNOW we are planning (only way to keep the kids out of it)

*buying the sharpest, most flavorful, cheese I can get my hands on. (The kids eat less at one time & the flavor goes a long way)

I serve only small portions of cheese for dishes like tacos or baked potatoes. If I want to make macaroni and cheese or something that calls for a whole block then that is all the cheese I use for the week. I just plan my menu accordingly. I can get an 8 oz chunk of Organic Valley sharp cheddar or mozerella for about 4.00 at my Commissary, though I realize most people don't have access to one.

I have yet to find organic sliced American cheese so I still buy Borden. I also can't find organic cheese sticks that are affordable. I found Organic Valley and it was something like 4.99 for 12 cheese sticks. Holy cow. So I'm still buying Polly-O string cheese.

We do not buy organic foods, so please excuse me if this question is ignorant. Doesn't organic mean that pesticides haven't been used to grow the ingredients for the final product? If that is the case, why would you need organic cheese? Isn't it 99.9% cow's milk, which I would think is naturally pesticide free?

Lisa

We do not buy organic foods, so please excuse me if this question is ignorant. Doesn't organic mean that pesticides haven't been used to grow the ingredients for the final product? If that is the case, why would you need organic cheese? Isn't it 99.9% cow's milk, which I would think is naturally pesticide free?

Lisa

Cow feed contains pesticides and cows are given antibiotics. So unless a cheese is made from organic milk, it could most likely contain pesticides and antibiotics.

Cow feed contains pesticides and cows are given antibiotics. So unless a cheese is made from organic milk, it could most likely contain pesticides and antibiotics.

Thank you for pointing that out. I had thought about the antibiotic/hormone issue, but wasn't sure if that was part of the definition of organic. I didn't think about the feed containing pesticides. It really is discouraging to think that everything we eat and drink is contaminated.

Lisa

We're in upstate ny-not sure if they come here. I will ask a friend that may know.

I was in my glory at Trader Joe's in Mass., but we don't have one near here!

We are in the exact same boat. I email them about every six months to whine for a store in Syracuse or Albany. I bring a big cooler every time we go to visit family, and I always stock up at Trader Joe's.

We buy small amounts of (mostly local) artisan cheeses. Others we use sparingly and usually for specific dishes. I don't buy organic Parmiggiano Reggiano due to price and the fact that the production cows are grass and hay fed.

I also shred my own and am very careful to buy just what I need for that particular week's menu, lunches, etc. I also cut part of my cheese in small squares and keep it in a ziplock bag because one of my dc loves cheese and crackers. If I happen to find it on sale, I buy extra and freeze it.

I don't buy junk food or processed foods, so I guess I justify the cost that way.

I buy in bulk direct from a local cheese factory that markets organic butter and cheese. I can't remember how many pounds are in each slab, but think of the deli and the big rectangular block of cheese -- that's it! Two of those last us a long time.

I have purchase from unfi.com through a coop locally. I think it's about $19 for each brick.

Also my folks live in WI and whenever they visit Amish land they stop and pick me up a few bricks from the local organic cheese store.

Buy in bulk -- freeze in 1lb portions.

That's what I've found cheapest.

We buy cheese at the farmers market. We try to get robust cheese so you don't each so much. We also have a great local goats cheese. I don' t know if they advertise as 'organic' per se, but they use very natural processes. They have won lots of awards and they have lots of info about how they treat their goats. I see their cheese sometimes in lists of great cheeses in national magazines (like Martha Stewart). Yes it is that good.

I also try to buy organic cheese when it is on sale in Krogers. Usually "manager special" rather than other types of sales. And honestly when we need a certain type of cheese for a recipe, we just go ahead and buy non-organic. We feel that if we eat organic most of the time then it won't be too bad when we don't.

Sometimes farmers choose not to get certified because of the expense and paperwork involved, but still follow those practices. We've found that type of product to be very reasonable although usually you have to go to the farm to get it (which isn't far in our area), and you usually have to subscribe to a co-op, email loop, or CSA. Some of the Amish/Mennonite farmers are very careful in their agricultural practices and produce great products.

You might ask around...

We also have a great local goats cheese. I don' t know if they advertise as 'organic' per se, but they use very natural processes. They have won lots of awards and they have lots of info about how they treat their goats.

:iagree:

Goat or Sheep milk cheeses are likely to be close to organic, they are not generally mass produced.

I can't have regular milk, I love sheep cheese, it's great!

Sometimes farmers choose not to get certified because of the expense and paperwork involved, but still follow those practices. We've found that type of product to be very reasonable although usually you have to go to the farm to get it (which isn't far in our area), and you usually have to subscribe to a co-op, email loop, or CSA. Some of the Amish/Mennonite farmers are very careful in their agricultural practices and produce great products.

You might ask around...

Yes! Ask around. Especially among your Amish community. I know the Amish vendors we buy from don't necessarily pursue certification and, when they do have certified items, they don't necessarily advertise it.

If you're buying raw milk, though, I would wager your supplier also knows cheese people.

Yes! Ask around. Especially among your Amish community. I know the Amish vendors we buy from don't necessarily pursue certification and, when they do have certified items, they don't necessarily advertise it.

If you're buying raw milk, though, I would wager your supplier also knows cheese people.

You must be very careful and ask the correct questions at an Amish farm. Most of them are not organic. I was taught this by an Amish farmer.

Especially now with eating less meat, several vegetarian recipes that I'm finding call for cheese! So how do y'all do it w/out breaking the budget? :confused:

Make this the next step.

I grew up not eating cheese, or hardly any dairy at all. As an adult, I consume some dairy but I'm lactose-intolerant so I limit myself. My kids are L.I. as well, but really like cheese. I used to buy a (small) specific amount per month, which they could eat until it was gone. And then it was gone until the next big grocery trek the following month. As time went on, the kids ate it less and less because they were initially holding off to use it "later" and then eventually (indirectly) weaning themselves off of it! We now eat it a 1-2 times a month - usually for pizza or quesadillas, and occasionally as a topping for steamed broccoli (my daughter's favorite side dish).

I own at least a hundred cookbooks, the majority of then veg*n. I'm constantly disappointed in the big name vegetarian books that include so many cheese-driven recipes.

I say spend your usual amount as set by your budget, and when te organic stuff is gone ... it's gone. Take the challenge to find cheese-free veg*n recipes, and it won't be long before you aren't missing the cheese as much as you thought you might!