Menu

Is it too late to switch math curriculums?

mafi39

I have two first grade students. We are using saxon 1 for first grade. I know some of you use saxon 2, but there was no way my two were ready for that. I am not loving saxon at all. I don't think I like the spiral approach. I hate that our whole lesson today was on weighing things on a scale, but that there wasn't anything about that on their worksheet to complete. They are doing beginning addition and are doing quite well with it. But the lessons are driving me crazy! We will have a lesson on pattern blocks, but then the worksheet might onlyl have one thing on the page about the actual lesson:confused:

I have looked at R&S and I have seen the great reviews on it. I could make the switch relatively cheaply. Would you make the switch now? Is it too late? I don't want to second guess myself, but I feel math is important and I want them to have a strong foundation in math. Should I just stick it out? Will it get better? Help!!!!

There are scores of people who rilly, rilly like Saxon's primary levels (Saxon is *incremental,* however, not spiral). I considered using them in my little school, but the methodology just didn't appeal to me. At all. Blech.

OTOH, R&S's methodology does appeal to me. It is probably what I would use if I were starting over again with littles. If Saxon is making you crazy--and what *you* think is as important as what the dc think--then you couldn't go wrong. And now's the time to make the change.

I'm in the same boat right now! We started off this year with Saxon 3 (our first time with Saxon) and I loved the "meeting" time as it has been a huge help for my Dd 8 but something just isn't right!!

She wasn't doing any add/sub. problems on her worksheet and her flashcards don't go very high. Because of it, she lost her quickness to get the answers for add/sub. and she was forgetting how to borrow, etc.

So, I called up BJU and spoke to Emily. She was a huge help!

We just switched back to BJU math 2. We have to master a few things in 2 before Dd can start 3 (way to hard for her). Math is hard for my Dd anyways, and now were even more behind. DARN!!

I say "go for it", if it's not feeling right, do it now. School is only started 3-4 weeks ago.

Most people do not like Saxon until 5/4.

Oh, I'm still gonna incorporate the Saxon "meeting" time into our BJU math cuz it has been a huge help for her as far as skip counting, money, clock, etc.

HTH :)

If you don't like it, switch. I've changed along the way too many times but I believe the curriculum has to match the dc's learning style.

Right now, I own three Algebra I's and my ds is using Kinetic Algebra online instead. Just use what works. Chances are you might be able to skip some early lessons anyway as they are often review.

We just switched from Saxon to Rod & Staff -- we did Saxon 1 the whole way through last year, started out this year with Saxon 2 to only realize that my ds really doesn't get the Saxon method. :glare: Something as simple as what is one more than 5 would get me a blank stare like we'd never covered such a thing!?!?! This is something that was drilled and drilled over and over again in Saxon 1. So while I actually like Saxon and may still use it with my next child, I had to move my ds over to Rod and Staff. He is in 1st grade this year, so we started with the 1st grade R&S and it is working beautifully. We've done 40 lessons now and I can tell that ds is "getting it" now. He breezes through his lessons and actually likes math now or at least tolerates it, which is more than I can say for last year. :)

I say if it is not working for you or your child, 1st grade is definitely not too late to switch!

HTH

We started with Saxon 1 and 3. We all really, really, really did not like it. I even bought Saxon 4 to see if it would get better. Not my best idea!

I researched and found Christian Light. I ordered 2 light units (10 lessons each) for each grade (around $3 each). It was an inexpensive way to try out a new program. My kids loved it. I loved it.

If Saxon isn't working...go for something else. You will be so happy once you find what works.

Best of luck!

We just switched from Saxon to Rod & Staff -- we did Saxon 1 the whole way through last year, started out this year with Saxon 2 to only realize that my ds really doesn't get the Saxon method. :glare: Something as simple as what is one more than 5 would get me a blank stare like we'd never covered such a thing!?!?! This is something that was drilled and drilled over and over again in Saxon 1. So while I actually like Saxon and may still use it with my next child, I had to move my ds over to Rod and Staff. He is in 1st grade this year, so we started with the 1st grade R&S and it is working beautifully. We've done 40 lessons now and I can tell that ds is "getting it" now. He breezes through his lessons and actually likes math now or at least tolerates it, which is more than I can say for last year. :)

HTH

We, too, had finished all of Saxon 1 and part of Saxon 2 when we switched to Rod and Staff last year. We started over with R&S 1 and are now about a third of the way through R&S 2. I wish I had known about R&S at the beginning, but I'm glad I discovered it when I did and I'm thrilled it's working so well with DS. It's a solid and thorough program and the TM's are excellent. There were many parts of Saxon that I liked, but it seemed very cumbersome to me and I wasn't content with DS's mastery of the facts. I find it much more peaceful to use R&S and I like it's emphasis on the basics.

You might be interested in this link, which was given in another thread on R&S math: http://www.thelatinschool.org/Mathematics.html

I've changed math curriculum in November twice, and I was happy I did both times. Everything went well and we were on track at the end of the year. I just switched my 9th grader last week to a different geometry program, and already I can tell this clicks with her. I was really nervous making a switch with a high schooler.

You can switch. It's not too late.

Now, finding a new math program...that's tough. I've wrestled with that for awhile.

We've done Horizons, Rod and Staff and are now using Math U See. So, we've switched 3 times between K and 1 (we're in 2nd now.)

And no matter what program you use, it's good to supplement. Why? So that they're using math in a different format from their book. I found that my son could rattle off the math facts as he saw them in R&S, because he was used to the format, but for some reason, if we asked the same math facts on a different format (maybe in a different workbook, or I would handwrite the fact) he couldn't do it. I've heard that other kids do that, too. They need different exposures for those facts to really sink in.

I use Tux of Math Command computer games (free to download online) and we play War with flash cards. They have to add the card to figure out who has the highest number. By playing math games, he's cemented those fact in his head.

P.S. For the Tux of Math Command game (which my 7 yo LOVES) I do the typing. He can holler out the answers, but can't type fast enough to win the game.

I didn't read all replies.

Be careful. Your children may be fine with an incremental/spiral program that drives you batty and either flounder or be bored (or both) without the repetition when you switch to a mastery program.

In other words, DD was doing fine with Horizons when I decided I didn't like the approach and switched to a Mastery program and it turned out to be a big mistake.

I began this school year using Saxon Math with the twins (3rd grade) - used it for one week, and immediately returned to Singapore Math.

DD10, however, used Singapore Math for 2nd through 4th grade, and this year we went with Saxon 6/5 and she and I really are enjoying it.

If you don't like it, make the switch.:001_smile:

I don't think it's too late. I switched my son to R&S in 1st grade after trying Rightstart math and it was one of the best decisions I made for him. Someone on the board recently mentioned that the Highlands Latin School uses R&S Math and they have a nice explanation for why they chose this math program here http://www.thelatinschool.org/Mathematics.html. The only thing I really don't like about R&S is that there are no workbooks after 2nd grade. I wish they would continue the workbooks through 6th grade.

Lisa

Thanks for the replies everyone. The only concern i had was that r&s had 170 lessons and we have been in school for 2 months already. So we will be doing math into the summer. Which i guess will be good for them anyway. I might order couple of cle light units to do with r&s. These programs are both so cheap that i can't go wrong financially with either of them. I just didn't like the way that saxon's lessons did not go with the worksheet given only 1 or 2 problems. My dd is not real secure with her numbers and she needs to master the content I think. Thanks again!

The first 10 lessons are just recognizing and writing the numbers 1-10. Adding doesn't start until lesson 11, so if you started then, you'd be down to 160 lessons. Since there are 180 days in an "official" school year, you wouldn't be all that far behind if you switched now.:001_smile: