Menu

What are your kids doing in math today?

DD9 completed Math-U-See Epsilon lesson 7, pages A and B. It covered comparing fractions with unlike denominators.

DD7 completed Math-U-See Epsilon lesson 28 test. The lesson covered using additive and multiplicative inverse to solve for the unknown when there is a fractional coefficient (ie. 4/15w + 7 = 19). There were also problems from previous chapters and years.

LoF Fractions, chapters 9 & 10 (very short).

Comparing Fractions worksheet A from math-drills.com.

Sat with me in a bank office talking interest while I was in there moving money around and getting a CD.

Read Math Curse by Jon Scieszka on the way home from the library, but I noticed she didn't do all the math problems in there yet.:)

Ratios/proportions practice when we fiddled with a cookie recipe.

Fairly typical math day, except the cookies.

DS 15 is perusing Life of Fred Geometry and Trig and looking up mathy things of interest on wikipedia. (He does this for fun?:confused: :lol: ).

DS 12 did Teaching Textbooks prealgebra lesson 93. It was titled "Undoing in Reverse Part 1".

DD 9 did Singapore 3A (US ed.) lesson 31, multiplying by 6

DS 6 did Singapore 1A (US ed.) ex 55 & 56, recognizing patterns and making tangrams. He's almost ready to start 1B!

ETA: We did make 3 bean salad and baked cookies and discussed some measurement conversions. (4 TBS = 1/4c etc.)

Diva finished unit 14 in Saxon 7/8. I need to look at her test and see if she needs any other units done before skipping ahead to unit 18 or so.

She gets bored VERY easily with math...picks up concepts within 5 questions or less. I keep having to test her to see where she's at.

The Littles were counting beans, adding, subtracting and matching shapes today. And playing Candyland.

What is the Crytoclub? Is it a workbook, text, or book?
It's a textbook with a free downloadable workbook (hard copy also available). All exercises are listed in the text, but it's convenient to have them laid out for ready for solving in the workbook. The publisher will also email a free teacher's guide/solutions manual upon request.

Your math work looks so different (and interesting)... could you post a few links for where to buy, or how to know what to buy???
DD the Elder is in a holding pattern for a couple years before starting algebra. Here's what we've used and plan to use:

Challenge Math -- Zaccaro

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius -- Zaccaro

Can You Count in Greek? (this was great fun)

Alien Math

Piece of Pi

some units from MEP (e.g. nets and surface area)

selected bits from Mathematics 6 -- some new material, some review

Warm Ups are selections from:

Venn Perplexors and other puzzles from MindWare

Brain Maths (2 volumes) from SingaporeMath.com

Math Express from SingaporeMath.com

It's Alive and It's Alive and Kicking from Prufrock Press (these are OK)

Singpore CWP

other math puzzle books

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, Orbiting With Logic (Prufrock Press)

plus a very few review questions or facts drill (e.g. squares to 15^2, basic fraction/decimal conversion, powers of 2, etc.)

and I'm still looking.... while waiting for the Life of Fred pre-algebra books. They should be great fun. :)

Edited by nmoira
too many words

Mine are math unschoolers at this stage. Today my 6yo pondered how fascinating it is that no matter what numbers you try, two odd numbers always add up to an even number. My 4yo practised counting and found that she can doctor the result if she counts in halves. They both learned that a dozen is 12 and a bakers dozen is 13.

It's a textbook with a free downloadable workbook (hard copy also available). All exercises are listed in the text, but it's convenient to have them laid out for ready for solving in the workbook. The publisher will also send email a free teacher's guide/solutions manual upon request.

DD the Elder is in a holding pattern for a couple years before starting algebra. Here's what we've used and plan to use:

Challenge Math -- Zaccaro

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius -- Zaccaro

Can You Count in Greek? (this was great fun)

Alien Math

Piece of Pi

some units from MEP (e.g. nets and surface area)

selected bits from Mathematics 6 -- some new material, some review

Warm Ups are selections from:

Venn Perplexors and other puzzles from MindWare

Brain Maths (2 volumes) from SingaporeMath.com

Math Express from SingaporeMath.com

It's Alive and It's Alive and Kicking from Prufrock Press (these are OK)

Singpore CWP

other math puzzle books

Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, Orbiting With Logic (Prufrock Press)

plus a very few review questions or facts drill (e.g. squares to 15^2, basic fraction/decimal conversion, powers of 2, etc.)

and I'm still looking.... while waiting for the Life of Fred pre-algebra books. They should be great fun. :)

It's like Christmas morning!!! I wasn't sure I'd get a response, now I'm off to open up my new links and salivate over more math products.:tongue_smilie:

THANK YOU!

It's like Christmas morning!!! I wasn't sure I'd get a response, now I'm off to open up my new links and salivate over more math products.:tongue_smilie:

THANK YOU!

You're welcome. Funny how this kind of stuff can make us a bit giddy, no?

:D

I did not see this post yesterday, but yesterday the older 2 each did 2 lessons in horizons(review of add/sub/mult facts, intro to fractions, and some geometry/symmetry ques), and my ds6 did 2 pages in MUS Primer(introduction of the 100s place value).

Today is our fun math day and they are using pattern blocks along with cards to follow to make the designs.

My older son is doing CLE Math 4 - Light Unit 405 Lesson 8. It includes borrowing in your head as the new concept. Also has time patterns, volume in cubic cm, multiples of 11, area, radius, diameter, simplifying fractions, segments, lines, decimals, and double digit multiplication, and word ploblems. (CLE is spiral, obviously).

My younger son is doing CLE Math 1 - Light Unit 104, Lesson 68. It includes counting by 10's, new facts 5+3 and 3+5, oral word problem, writing numbers by place value, measurement using hands and feet, 1/2 fraction, various addition and subtraction, fact families, completing a number line, telling time to 15 after the hour, money (dimes, nickels, pennies).

Ds15 is in Singapore NEM2 and did his second revision (review test). It covered solving linear equations, coordinates, simultaneous linear equations, inequalities, congruent and similar triangles.

Ds13 is also in NEM2 and did quadratic equations and quadratic factorization (or factorisation as they spell it:).)

DD9 is using Singapore primary math and she did a chapter review on time intervals and capacity in metric. She also recited her multiplication 4's and 5's while doing jumping jacks (partly to warm up, partly to get oxygen to the brain, and partly to make it more fun.)

I'd like to see what everyone's people are doing for math. Could you post the book you're using and what the lesson was about? Plus any other math that you did with your kids today?

1st gr. MUS Foundations Lesson 6C (my new and remedial student) making tens in addition and subtraction

2nd gr. Singapore Math 2A Lesson 17 carrying/borrowing using 3 digit numbers

4th gr. Singapore Math 4A Lesson 16 (rotates w. MUS, Review 3E) 2 & 3 digit multiplication

6th gr. Singapore Math 6A Review E

7th Gr. LoF Algebra 14 (does RS 7 on other days)

8th gr. MUS Algebra Lesson 6 Test

I'll read a book of math fables to the 1st and 2nd grader today, do a speed drill for them to practice addition facts using 0, 1, and 2's

All others will spend 10 minutes drilling using Math-U-Sees online drills.

Yesterday we did little math -- we are gone to a fine arts school all day doing choir, art, and speech. My youngest does a math review sheet while her older sister is in class. This is both to review and to keep her busy until her class starts.

Today:

dd16: Saxon Advanced Math lesson 84 (something to do with drawing sinusoids)

dd9 : Saxon 6/5 lesson 38

Linda

You're welcome. Funny how this kind of stuff can make us a bit giddy, no?

:D

Especially if it's off the beaten track!

I saw a poster had asked why someone wanted to know... all I could think about was, this is the most interesting thread YET! Lol... my life has become a search for the perfect books :p