Menu

I have a baby name spelling question.

I'm still giddy that Dh and I have agreed on a name, but I'm going back and forth on how to spell it.

My other girls are Madeleine Claire, Olivia Anne, and Louisa Maudie.

Baby number 4 will be Vivien Jackson. I do NOT like it spelled Vivian for some reason. I grew up crazy about Vivien Leigh so that spelling looks right to me even though it turns out that she was named Vivian Leigh but changed it when the studio misspelled it on a contract.

My friends are all encouraging me to spell it Vivienne. I like that better than Vivian, but I'm not sure if it is pretentious. I know that she will have to spell her name for everyone she meets, but since I go by Genevieve, I don't think it is really a big deal.

We have a long fancy last name that Vivienne would not clash with.

What says the hive?

I'm still giddy that Dh and I have agreed on a name, but I'm going back and forth on how to spell it.

My other girls are Madeleine Claire, Olivia Anne, and Louisa Maudie.

Baby number 4 will be Vivien Jackson. I do NOT like it spelled Vivian for some reason. I grew up crazy about Vivien Leigh so that spelling looks right to me even though it turns out that she was named Vivian Leigh but changed it when the studio misspelled it on a contract.

My friends are all encouraging me to spell it Vivienne. I like that better than Vivian, but I'm not sure if it is pretentious. I know that she will have to spell her name for everyone she meets, but since I go by Genevieve, I don't think it is really a big deal.

We have a long fancy last name that Vivienne would not clash with.

What says the hive?

I'd go with Vivienne. I think it looks more elegant (not pretentious at all), and since she's going to have to spell it often no matter what I don't see any reason not to go with that spelling.

I know a little girl named Vivienne :)

98% of the time her name is mispelled Vivien, and occasionally as Vivian. When written, lots of people shorten it to Vivi - which ::shudder:: I really don't like. Maybe I just don't like the way people say it "Vee-vee" ... ::shudder:: ::shudder:: but that's carried over into when people address her. I don't know if it's because they think Vivienne is just too long, or if they'd do that regardless of how her name is spelled. But it started as them writing it that way.

I don't think Vivienne is at all pretentious, but I like the story behind Vivien - so that gets my vote. My best friend was named for a Roy Orbison song and though her spelling is the less common way, it's always been so neat to hear and know the story behind her name! I'd go with the spelling that most speaks to you :D.

Yes.

All our kids have family middle names. Jackson is after my grandfather who was named after Stonewall Jackson Phillips. Stone Phillips who used to be on TV is named after the same relative.

We were saving it for another boy, but at 43 years old, I'm not sure there is another baby in my future.

I'll be the dissenting vote. I like Vivien best. Vivienne makes me think I should stress the last syllable instead of the first like julienne.

Growing up in Atlanta, I am a big GWTW fan, and I prefer the Vivien spelling to the Vivian spelling as well.

Congratulations!

Melissa

I like Vivienne, too - looks very pretty and feminine. I do agree with the poster, however, who mentioned pronouncing it - where does the accent go? Is it still pronounced like Vivien? Or is the accent on the last syllable? I like Vivienne Jackson (pronounced as Vivien). Pronounced with the accent at the end, Vivienne Jackson is a little more difficult for me to say!:001_smile:

I'll be the dissenting vote. I like Vivien best. Vivienne makes me think I should stress the last syllable instead of the first like julienne.

Growing up in Atlanta, I am a big GWTW fan, and I prefer the Vivien spelling to the Vivian spelling as well.

Congratulations!

Melissa

:iagree:This expresses my thoughts as well.

I completely agree that the accent on the last syllable of Vivianne does not sound right with Jackson.

I think most of the time, people will say her first and last name together without the middle name, which sounds fine with the French pronunciation.

I have a lot to think about and take into consideration.

Was the leading lady in Chocolat nameds Vivien or Vivienne? How did she spell it? Is is a French name? What is the original common spelling?

I like the longer spelling b/c it looks really pretty written out. Plus, it is not uncommon and therefore won't be difficult to pronounce or duplicate, etc.

You have picked beautiful names for them all. We have a baby girl due any day and have NO CLUE for her name. We used family names for our first 2 children & out last name is so common that it fills have the phone book... therefore, we feel we need to find "less than common" but not weird names from the old family tree. With so many restrictions, our choices are difficult.

Love your picks!

Vivian is the original Latin spelling. Vivianne is the original French spelling. Vivien is just a misspelling, but it looks correct to me because I grew up loving Vivien Leigh.

It is hard to pick out a name that goes with the other kids. Madeleine and I both have French names. Henry went through a stage of really wishing we had named him Henri, so I don't really think Vivianne would be out of place.

I like the name Leigh too. Dh liked Ellen, and I also like Jane, but I don't think she would appreciate having the only short name in the family.