Menu

My second plea for help. Birthday cake crisis. I'm desperate.

Um. Hm.

Are you asking what should YOU do or what would I do? Because I'm pretty sure those are not the same. At this point I would say "I'm sorry, I do not have the baking skill to make a meerkat cake. How about something else?"

Like Rainbow Jello! My kids love when I make this.

or

If you could find some meerkat toys I guess you could make a sheet cake, use brown and green buttercream, color some coconut green to sprinkle here and there and stick the toys on top?

Just don't make the cake with red cake mix...you'd hate for it to look like it was bleeding all over your party. :D

As a wedding photographer, I saw one groom's cake in the shape of an armadillo...and it was a red velvet cake inside. It just looked awful after it was cut. The groom was an odd duck, so maybe that's what he intended.

Good luck!

A couple of real artists there!

I was thinking photo overlay... don't they make those edible now? Maybe you could find a great photo of a meerkat on-line and... wait... where would you get something like that done? A regular bakery?

Good luck!

Print out pictures of little meerkats (about 2 inches high) on card stock. Cut them out and tape them onto toothpicks or bamboo skewers, and stick them into a sheet cake. :D

I like that! Clear-contact or packing tape-laminate them and then she is actively involved in making this up to her standards. :D

Good luck! Don't forget to post the pics!

Just don't make the cake with red cake mix...you'd hate for it to look like it was bleeding all over your party. :D

As a wedding photographer, I saw one groom's cake in the shape of an armadillo...and it was a red velvet cake inside. It just looked awful after it was cut. The groom was an odd duck, so maybe that's what he intended.

Good luck!

Sick, sick, sick.

A roadkill wedding cake.

Everyone's bridal dream.

Print out pictures of little meerkats (about 2 inches high) on card stock. Cut them out and tape them onto toothpicks or bamboo skewers, and stick them into a sheet cake. :D

My sister did this when her son wanted a nocturnal animal cake. She let him cut out animal pictures from his Big Backyard magazines, then taped them to toothpicks and put them all over the cake.

You. Must. Help. Me.

Please.

I have an - ahem - eccentric 4yo. Her birthday is tomorrow.

She wants a meerkat cake.

Do not adjust your screen. I said meerkat.

HELP!!!!!!:willy_nilly:

What do I do???????

Find a pic online and print it off. You local grocery store with a decent bakery can make a picture in icing and put it on a standard sheet (half sheet) cake.

I'm lovin' the ideas of the meerkat pictures stuck in the cake. . . .

Miss 4yo has informed me that there need to be holes in the cake, so I'm thinking this could qualify!

And yes, I will post pictures.

Sigh.

And did I mention, my 8yo turns 9 tomorrow? Yes, b/c apparently I need more birthday insanity in my life.

At least she wants an angel food cake.

Oh, and to produce a play with her friends. There is a script and scenery.

Is it October yet?????

You. Must. Help. Me.

Please.

I have an - ahem - eccentric 4yo. Her birthday is tomorrow.

She wants a meerkat cake.

Do not adjust your screen. I said meerkat.

HELP!!!!!!:willy_nilly:

What do I do???????

Is this the same child who was into hippos last year?

Go ahead and register her for vet school at Auburn :lol:

Happy birthday to your unique dd. :D

We have reached crisis proportions here, folks.

I made the mistake of showing her the pix Jean posted. I thought, "Aha!"

She says, "No mom, I want a DIFFERENT meerkat cake. I will teach you."

This fifth one - she's a deal breaker, all right.

"I will teach you" . . . :lol::lol::lol:

This is my second child. Not coincidentally, my last. :tongue_smilie:

For Lex's last birthday I iced then froze his cake. I put food coloring in little cups and used paintbrushes (new ones) to paint a picture with the food coloring on the top of the cake. You have to be careful and even pop it back in the freezer between colors or they will mix where they meet. But it turned out great.

Or you could see how they do the picture cakes at the bakery and maybe print a picture on some special paper and put it on the iced cake. I know they have some edible stuff at the bakery, but you could always take it off before it is eaten.

Oddly enough I just got home from buying Meerkats for my four year old (darn trip to the zoo). Both Target and Toys R Us had Schleich Meerkat figurines in a few different poses. I would bake and frost the cake, add some holes and strategically place the figurines.

When my son turned 16 I had a photo of him as a baby transferred in icing on a Caravel icecream cake. It was really cute. I might do something like that if you can't figure out another option, and they did it really quickly - I think same day!

In any case, I hope your daughter has a most excellent birthday. We used to say that DS11 was a merecat soulmate because he held himself so straight and tall as a baby and was always looking around. We loved the merecat exhibit at the San Diego Wild Animal Park and used to go once a month or so just to check them out.

Best of luck! Enjoy her big day.

You could print whatever meerkat picture your daughter likes off the internet and then take it somewhere and they can somehow print the picture onto the frosting of the cake. I did this with a picture of my stepddaughter a few years ago and she loved it.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Is this the same child who was into hippos last year?

Go ahead and register her for vet school at Auburn :lol:

Happy birthday to your unique dd. :D

Wow. you are brilliant!!!!!

Yes, it's the same child who loves hippos.

And who has been known to sleep with eggplants.

She's something else. We love her!

Her daddy is taking her to the zoo this morning for her birthday - perfect, no?

Wow. you are brilliant!!!!!

Yes, it's the same child who loves hippos.

And who has been known to sleep with eggplants.

She's something else. We love her!

Her daddy is taking her to the zoo this morning for her birthday - perfect, no?

I know it's too late, but you should have spread the birthdays throughout the year.

5th. Deal-breaker. I know what you mean. lol

I know it's too late, but you should have spread the birthdays throughout the year.

Ha. You're funny. . . . . .

Yup. One late August, One early September, Two Today.

Merry Christmas, anyone? ;)

Printing Meerkat pictures now. . . . . .

That is from Steel Magnolias! :lol:

My husband and I met doing community theatre and one of the first shows we worked on together after we started dating was in fact, Steel Magnolias. When we got married, we also had a "bleeding armadillo" groom's cake. Everyone appreciated the humor but as they say in the play, it was certainly "repulsive".

Nope. I'm convinced that they should all have the same (or nearly the same) birthday, & you just add it as an annual holiday. One time, & you're done. Like Christmas or Thanksgiving--voila.

If you have access to meerkat toys, I'd punch out holes in the cake using round cookie/biscuit cutters (or small diameter glasses, etc.) and having some peeking from their holes while others stand on the "ground" outside, around the holes.

Your daughter's not weird! My younger son had a Zooboomafoo cake when he was a toddler. Leaping Lemurs!