Menu

What did you learn this week?

I am curious what everyone has learned this week. We always talk about what our children are learning and such, but what have you learned this week?

I learned something that most probably already knew, but it was new to me.

That passenger trains in Japan float on a cushion of magnetism. (yes, I know it was simple, but something new to me)

I learned that I am a super-competitive mom and that I need to control myself (thankfully, I did nothing - I just thought it real loud)...

Oh, the details, if you're curious... 6 weeks ago, my daughter did a gym competition, and place first of her team (out of 12 girls). Last weekend, she placed last! In 6 weeks, all girls overtook her! My girl is fine with it, mostly. It was hard stuff for her, and she's still afraid of the moves she's learned, plus she took a major spill less than week before the competition, had an allergic reaction a few days before, and may potentially be anemic - gotta go get some blood test done. I'm the one who's not fine with it. Sigh.. And I've always hated super competitive moms .

Well, I'm at the tail end of learning the 43-page cello part to Mahler's 5th Symphony for a concert Saturday night and I'm about to go crazy if I can't get a few spots just a little faster!! I'm thinking, eating, sleeping, dreaming Mahler. This is I think, the hardest thing I have ever played. in my life. ever.

ever.

3 more days, then I can get back to real life, mothering, homeschooling, cleaning my house, thinking straight, sleeping...

:D Okay, so I already "knew" that but I'm just so darned tired of not sleeping, being uncomfortable, not sleeping (did I mention that?), etc. I'm hoping to learn how to "cope" with these last few wks better b/c despite what my midwife says about my going early...I sincerely doubt I will. :glare:

I also learned that my already low levels of patience are significatly reduced even further when I'm 8 1/2 mos. pregnant.

I've learned a lot more about diabetes than I've ever wanted to know.:crying:

I also learned that my boys broke some glass out of my dear old neighbor's bus/shed windows. :smash::angry:

I learned last night that I want to be like David in the Bible when he said he would hope continually and praise God more and more. I sure needed that!

:D Okay, so I already "knew" that but I'm just so darned tired of not sleeping, being uncomfortable, not sleeping (did I mention that?), etc. I'm hoping to learn how to "cope" with these last few wks better b/c despite what my midwife says about my going early...I sincerely doubt I will. :glare:

I also learned that my already low levels of patience are significatly reduced even further when I'm 8 1/2 mos. pregnant.

I pray that every woman gets to experience the extra 10 days of pregnancy that I had. Yes, sixth child and 10 days past due. THAT will teach you patience. :)

It's an interesting book, though I liked The Blank Slate better.

I'm learning a lot, but true to form, retaining little. One funny part in the book is that he said a colleague of his -- another linguist -- has a theory that people are born with an innate knowledge of 50,000 concepts including "carburetor," "trombone," and "doorknob." He says this colleague will brush off criticism that his theory is outrageous with statements like, "Well, they laughed at Columbus, too"

Pinker retorts that people laughed at Manny Schwartz, the person who thought up the "Continental Drip" theory (that continents are pointed at the end because molten lava dripped downward as they cooled!) And people were right to laugh at Manny Schwartz.

I was reading a coin collecting book with DS9 (trying to find a hobby for him besides Pokemon!). Interesting stuff. Denver and Philidelphia are the 2 places, and it's marked with a D or a P under the date on a coin. (Some other coins are minted in San Francisco and someplace in NY, but they aren't in general circulation - collector's stuff). We may stop in Philadelphia on our way to Williamsburg this May, so perhaps there's a tour or something interesting to see at the mint!

:-) Stacey in MA

I always considered myself respectful of children. And perhaps I was way back when I didn't have my own hanging on me 24/7. But, having to watch someone else's children has taught me all over again about how dealing with children in a respectful manner is really the only way to go.

It was easy to be respectful to these kids, because they weren't mine. I didn't know all their idiosyncracies. Their unique habits didn't drive me crazy. So I showed them the usual respect you show to strangers in your home and was amazed by their response. Their behavior differed greatly from their behavior at home, even after they got comfortable with me. They showed me a great deal more respect then they usually show their parents.

And then I looked at how I treat my own children. Ashamedly, I am snarky, nasty, short, and contemptuous with them on a regular basis. Respectful? Rarely.

So I changed how I dealt with my children. I'm not perfect yet (old habits die hard) but, I've seen much improvement in the life of my home. I love it.

I learned to do a picot edge on a pair of knit socks.

I learned that after all five of your children have a stomach bug, one will choose to get it again after you've caught up on all the laundry.

I learned that it takes a family of seven five days to adjust to Daylight Savings Time.

I learned how to load, cock, and shoot a .357, and more that I ever wanted to know about reloading ammunition.

My son is reading "General Howe's Dog." He shared a few tidbits with me. In colonial times, people had lap dogs for two reasons--to keep warm and to attract the fleas to the dogs and away from the people. Jack Russell terriers were bred and trained to run on a treadmill to keep the meat turning on the spit. Washington bred his hunting dogs with Loyalist dogs during the war. Somehow, I think George was lucky he didn't have today's media to turn this into a massive scandal.

And in reading about Lycurgus in Plutarch's Lives, I learned that even in ancient Greece some people felt that children belonged to the state, rather than to their parents. I don't know whether I'm creeped out that such ideas have been around for so long, or comforted in knowing that it's been an ongoing battle and that we just have to keep standing our ground.

Jennifer

I learned that taking Percocet on an empty stomach is a bad scene. :ack2:

My husband learned that last summer.

This week I learned that dehydration is very very bad.

That I like listening to audiobooks with my son in the car.

And I overthink things waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much.

my DD can still find, push and manipulate ALL my hot buttons :banghead:

and

that small explosions are better than a nuclear explosion :blush:

and

that I am sooooo ready to stop homeschooling DD :crying:

When you are buying a home that is going to attract lots of potential buyers and you are the first one there, make your offer good and acceptance deadline that night. Don't give them 4days to decide while all the other offers roll in.

:banghead:

I replace caulk every 4 years or so because of mold that seems to come from behind the caulk. A plumber told me that I should get a caulk sealer. Ahhh...

I learned that a shower diverter is that little thingy that makes the water go up to the shower instead of through the bathtub spout.