Menu

"Real" School???

What do you do when someone asks your child when are they going to go to "REAL" school????? I have one person at church who asks this of my dd6, and the look on her face is one of puzzlement. "I thought I was in real school:confused:," it says. Also, I have heard her Sunday school teacher correct her behavior in class by telling her she doesn't want to act such-n-such way when she gets to "REAL" school. What??? These are not people who are nasty or think poorly of homeschoolers. I think that they just don't get it. Any similar experiences?

My younger guy still got 'real' school comments from friends even while he was in high school. His question to me was, what do they think I'm doing at home, watching TV all day? How would I get an education that way?

People don't associate home with getting things done, I guess.

I'd probably have a quiet word with those folks saying that to your little one.

What do you do when someone asks your child when are they going to go to "REAL" school????? I have one person at church who asks this of my dd6, and the look on her face is one of puzzlement. "I thought I was in real school:confused:," it says. Also, I have heard her Sunday school teacher correct her behavior in class by telling her she doesn't want to act such-n-such way when she gets to "REAL" school. What??? These are not people who are nasty or think poorly of homeschoolers. I think that they just don't get it. Any similar experiences?

These may be the same people who think being a "homemaker" means your house is never messy. :D

I don't get that comment much but my gut reaction would be to talk to her teacher about what she doesn't think is "real" about homeschooling, with a puzzled look on my face.

Some of it can be semantics as some people don't know how to address homeschooling and compare it to a B&M classroom. I use the term traditional classroom when discussing it with ds.

If they're not being nasty or putting down home schooling or your child, then let it go. You can laugh (I like the "real kids" line, lol, or the "we like our fake school"), or just answer the question as if they had used whatever other word you would have found more apt ("traditional", "institutional", "brick-and-mortar")...

If your child would feel more comfortable with a specific line to say -- and that too can be a little bit funny ("When I get my acceptance letter from Harvard") or simply straightforward ("We have a real home school!") or whatever -- then I think that's reasonable. But you'll need to decide what you consider appropriate for your family and situation. I wouldn't encourage a child to say something that could appear to come across as intentionally rude.

I don't think it does any of us any good to take offense where it isn't intended -- even if the wording someone uses grates on us. (Though, personally, after being home schooled myself for k-8 and having always home schooled my own kiddos, the oldest of whom is now in 6th, I have no real objection to using the term "real" school. I think it's pretty funny!) ... I've also had people start off conversations like that, go on to *grill* me about home schooling, and then end up by explaining that they've really been starting to consider home schooling themselves! They're just desperate for information and leap on the first real home schooler they find! ;o) (And most of them never get beyond that point, but some of them have gone on to become some great home schooling friends of ours!)

Blank stare.

Next one who talks, loses.

Or "not this year."

or Are you assuming by asking when that they ever will go to Real School?

I like to agree with them.

We say things like They don't have to go to school. Or, They don't go to school.

We don't call our academic endeavors at home "school."

:seeya:

Edited by Moni

This sounds like a mind set thing. If your kids are homeschooled, it's not "real" school. If you are a stay-at-home mom, you don't have a "real" job, so you have all the time in the world to do what you want! I think people with this mind set are completely oblivious to what "real" life is like! Whether they mean to make these type of comments or not, they are irratating and rude in my opinion. Nevermind that they can be very confusing to younger children.

Some of it can be semantics as some people don't know how to address homeschooling and compare it to a B&M classroom. I use the term traditional classroom when discussing it with ds.

I wouldn't encourage a child to say something that could appear to come across as intentionally rude.

I don't think it does any of us any good to take offense where it isn't intended -- even if the wording someone uses grates on us... I've also had people start off conversations like that, go on to *grill* me about home schooling, and then end up by explaining that they've really been starting to consider home schooling themselves! They're just desperate for information and leap on the first real home schooler they find!

I combat it by explaining to my children the different types of schools...

government schools

private schools

home schools

I told them that some people don't know the correct terminology and mean a different type of school than home school when they mention real schools or regular schools.

:iagree: I was a public/private school mom for many years. Looking back, I probably sounded rude to others when I was questioning homeschoolers, but I didn't know the correct terminology or really how to go about getting the information I needed to make an intelligent decision about how to educate my child. I'm sure I would have formed a bad impression about hsers had I encountered those who thought that I was attacking them. I learned most about hsers by observing them.

We do real schooling but not in a school.

re. people who question my children about when they will go to "real school" - I ask them to talk to me or my husband because we are the ones that make the educational decisions in our household.

re. a Sunday school teacher using "real school" as a way of changing behavior - that is an inappropriate way of handling behavior problems. If she is behaving in a way that is not appropriate for the "real Sunday School classroom" that she is in, she should be told what is the correct way to behave. Future expectations from possible future schooling choices is beside the point.

I have long explained to my children that although home schooling has been around a lot longer than public school, most people are simply ignorant to that fact and will call it "real" school anyway. Then I tell them, they (dc) are getting a real education, that will far exceed what they're public school friends are getting.

When people ask me, I generally ask, "What do you man by real school?" Then I follow up with, "We use the same sort of education that has been passed down from the Greeks of ancient times and through world history. Public schools, as you know them, are a relatively new phenomenon, only existing in the last century." Hey, they asked...why not educate them so they too can get a feel for "real" school.

"Do we look imaginary to you?" is my standard line when 'real' school comes up. Only time it has is in a grilling, put down, negative way, so I have no problem being snarky.

The imaginary line is a family tradition. It started when my older (step) brother told my mom that she wasn't his 'real' mom. She knelt down (he was 6 at the time) and said, "Do I look imaginary to you?" and that was the end of the 'real' mom issues. (He didn't know his bmom at all).

Contrary to the laid-back and kind responses already posted, the above quote would upset me.

1) It undermines parental authority and decisions.

2) The fact that it's repeated give it tenacity and authority. A person in leadership *keeps* asking your child essentially about the legitimacy of her educational setting.

3) The use of it in discipline is icky and manipulative.

As such, I'd approach her kindly but firmly.

"Denise, I need you to stop asking my child about "real" school. She's homeschooled, is in an appropriate educational setting and I'm asking the questions to stop. In addition, if there is a discipline issue with her, I need it addressed directly, not having to do with homeschool. If you have a problem with her behavior, let's work together to assist her in being appropriate in your class."

I'd deflect any discussion of the homeschooling aspect and stick to the boundaries:

1) No "real school" comments or questions

2) No use of school setting as a filter for discipline

I combat it by explaining to my children the different types of schools...

government schools

private schools

home schools

I told them that some people don't know the correct terminology and mean a different type of school than home school when they mention real schools or regular schools.

This is a very good answer, and not at all combative imho. It is the truth.