Menu

Where to find a nice plus-size swim suit off season...

DH won the highest award his company gives out--with the award comes a first-class all expense paid week in HAWAII!

Hawaii is my 'most favoritest' place in the world. I've been twice--once for our 15th anniversary and once with the 'whole family' 3 years ago.

DH and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this January and he was trying to figure out how to surprise me with a trip of some sort--but finances are tight right now and he was about ready to tell me we would have to wait on a trip...

Now--I had back surgery in July--and I'm still on a very restricted regime. The Dr told me that some of my restrictions 'may' be lifted in November if I can handle NOT DOING ANYTHING for a few more months. As of now I'm officially going to do LESS THAN NOTHING around the house!!!

Now the 'bad' part--I will need a swimsuit that can handle being around lots of VIPs. I'm a pear shaped person--big on the 'bottom' and small on the top (with a small waist in between)--the books have definitely deflated (but at least they are not sinking!). Swimsuits have always been difficult for me to find since Plus-size suits always assume you are a DD on top (not an 'almost' A).

I'm looking for a modest swimsuit--but not too 'prudish' if you KWIM. I would like to have shorts on the bottom--skirts and my wide hips just do not get along--and there is NO WAY I'd walk around in a traditional one-piece!

Can anyone help me out--The trip is in November--so I don't have much time to spend--and because it is off season I know I'll have to shop online... I'm a size 18 on bottom and a 14/16 on top.

I've been steadily loosing weight since my surgery--not as much stress eating since my pain has dramatically decreased... not sure how much more I'll loose before the trip... but suits can be altered in that direction!

OK--I'm rambling--and still freaking out--this is an AMAZING award for DH--totally unexpected--but he does work hard...

I "make my own" swimwear, using separates from the athletic department of Walmart, Target, or other department stores. So many athletic-wear pieces are made from drip-dry fabric, virtually indistinguishable from the fabric used to make swimsuits. So you can pick your own preferred style of top which fits, and same goes for the bottom. Bottoms can be shorts, skirts, or capris. Very nice mix-and-match options ! I never have been "challenged" at a pool for wearing "non-standard" swimwear. (I used to wonder if that would happen, but it never has.)

Guest plusstyle

AlwaysForMe.com has some of the best plus size swimsuits and cover ups on the web and in stock 12 months a year. If you are pear shaped - look for something with a-line styling like the Always For Me Hilo swimdress - classy and a little bit sexy - I think this one would be a great solution.

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plusswimdress5.html

• 1 month later...

This is a swim shop catering to competitive and fitness swimmers (in other words, there are no no string bikinis in sight), but they and others like them have a great selection of modest suits year around. Check out this one, as an example:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16306.htm

There is another online company with a great selection of conservative suits that I can't remember the name of (we get their catalog), but if you Google "competition swimwear," you should find it and many others.

Congratulations to you both!

Terri

This is a swim shop catering to competitive and fitness swimmers (in other words, there are no no string bikinis in sight), but they and others like them have a great selection of modest suits year around. Check out this one, as an example:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16306.htm

There is another online company with a great selection of conservative suits that I can't remember the name of (we get their catalog), but if you Google "competition swimwear," you should find it and many others.

Congratulations to you both!

Terri

:iagree:

I have been happy with their customer service. It's very easy to make exchanges if you don't like a suit.

Junonia http://www.junonia.com specializes in plus size activewear. Everything I've gotten from them has been very good quality (though that's not been a lot as my budget is pretty small)

They offer a lot of sizes and mix and match capability in the widest range of styles I've seen. They have rashguards, one piece (skirted and not) suits, swim shorts, swim briefs, swim capris, swim skirts (in regular and knee lengths, also sarong style), tankini tops in several styles, spasuits, aquatards, etc. The colors and patterns are also very basic. They don't carry bikini styles that I can see. Be sure to check out Juno's Closet, as that is where the clearance items are. They have several separates in the swimwear clearance section.

Edited by KarenNC

Congratulations to your husband (and you)!

Land's End has a nice selection of plus-size suits. They have swimskirts and board shorts if you prefer extra coverage.

Definitely follow their sizing charts, though. I think they run a bit small and have had to go up a size on their one piece suits.

I highly recommend you look at Swimsuits Just For Us:

http://www.swimsuitsjustforus.com/

I bought online from them for my dd for a college swim class, and she LOVED the suit. They had a slew of name-brand stuff to choose from. Good quality, fast delivery.....

Anyhow....fast-forward a couple of months and dd asks if I can get two more of the same style suit for her to keep for whenever this one wears out. So, I go online and the suit is now on clearance! Yippee!! I order two suits, and low-and-behold I get a phone call the next day from Swimsuits Just For Us checking to see if I really meant to order two of the same suit. They just didn't want to go ahead and ship two if I didn't really want them because 1) they were on clearance I wouldn't be able to return one, and 2) they wanted me to be completely satisfied. WOW! I was sooooooo impressed.

They were happy to ship me the two identical suits and my dd is happy that she now has a stash of her most-favorite suit ever. :001_smile:

This is a great place to order from.

ETA: Oh, and congrats on the trip to Hawaii! That is wonderful!

AlwaysForMe.com has some of the best plus size swimsuits and cover ups on the web and in stock 12 months a year. If you are pear shaped - look for something with a-line styling like the Always For Me Hilo swimdress - classy and a little bit sexy - I think this one would be a great solution.

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plusswimdress5.html

:iagree: