Menu

Looking for Potato Pancakes recipes...and other frugal food ideas

Interesting recipe there. I've never made them with grated potatoes though. Am I the only one who makes them out of mashed potatoes? I use leftover mashed potatoes, chilled or cooled to room temp, add an egg and enough flour to get the right texture, salt & pepper. Fry like pancakes. My dh's grandmother makes them with just mashed potatoes and flour and I like hers, too.

We eat them as a lunch/dinner side dish. I like to mix grated potato, zucchini, carrot and onion. I grate them (usually 1 potato, 2 zucchini, 1/2 of a large carrot, 1/2 of a white onion is plenty), squeeze out the liquid, add seasoned bread crumbs, pressed garlic, Parmesan cheese, 1 slightly beaten egg (sometimes 2, it depends on how wet it's looking) and salt and pepper. Make sure the oil is *hot* before you start to cook them.

Interesting recipe there. I've never made them with grated potatoes though. Am I the only one who makes them out of mashed potatoes? I use leftover mashed potatoes, chilled or cooled to room temp, add an egg and enough flour to get the right texture, salt & pepper. Fry like pancakes. My dh's grandmother makes them with just mashed potatoes and flour and I like hers, too.

That's how my mom made them when I was growing up. We put butter and jelly on them.

Dh boils and mashes the potatoes. Then, he adds eggs, salt, and lots of tumeric. Sometimes he grates in onions. He fries them in olive oil. As has been mentioned, make sure the oil is hot first.

The kids and I eat them with ketchup like they are giant seasoned fries. Dh eats them with flat bread, pickled veggies, plain yogurt, and whatever.

HTH-

Mandy

I'm on an apple kick because our local orchard opens next week :) I love them with apple sauce, fried apples etc.

If you're looking for other frugal meal ideas, I LOVE this Blog www.theprudenthomemaker.com

It was mentioned on a thread about a month ago and I have been using some of her ideas for meals, meal planning etc.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Guest Virginia Dawn

What is the right texture? I made mashed potato pancakes last week and wasn't sure if the batter was supposed to be thick or the consistency of regular pancake batter. They were okay, but I'm wondering if they would have been better if I had made the batter thinner.

P.S. I vote for fried apples as a side dish.

Here's the recipe I use. Yum!:D

German potato pancakes are a real treat and something Germans miss when they move away. Eating freshly made potato pancakes with applesauce in the out-of-doors at a weekly market or carneval is a wonderful way to do indulge. Now, you can also make them at home with this simple recipe for potato pancakes.

Serves 2, makes 4 large potato pancakes.

See larger image

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

•1 lb. potatoes (about 2 medium or 3 small Russets or other starchy potato)

•1/2 onion

•3/4 - 1 tsp. salt (start with a lower amount, you can add salt at the table)

•Ground pepper

•Freshly ground nutmeg

•1 egg

•Oil for frying

Preparation:

Peel and grate potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out of them into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then drain the liquid, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes.

Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add dried onion flakes for part or all of the onion, if you like. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Mix thoroughly.

Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a non-stick pan and just a few drops of oil, if you wish, but for best results use 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil.

Using about 1/2 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon.

The jewish family that I lived with, had them with tiny green onions and a sour cream flavor inside. Personally, I prefer then with sour cream and applesauce, even for dinner:-) Bacon, if you eat that...would be good... You can do them in little ones or huge. These are "latkes" (Lat-kuz) to me, and potato pancakes... to me... are with mashed potatoes... fried:-)

Carrie:-)

Here's the recipe I use. Yum!:D

German potato pancakes are a real treat and something Germans miss when they move away. Eating freshly made potato pancakes with applesauce in the out-of-doors at a weekly market or carneval is a wonderful way to do indulge. Now, you can also make them at home with this simple recipe for potato pancakes.

Serves 2, makes 4 large potato pancakes.

See larger image

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

•1 lb. potatoes (about 2 medium or 3 small Russets or other starchy potato)

•1/2 onion

•3/4 - 1 tsp. salt (start with a lower amount, you can add salt at the table)

•Ground pepper

•Freshly ground nutmeg

•1 egg

•Oil for frying

Preparation:

Peel and grate potatoes. Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out of them into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then drain the liquid, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes.

Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add dried onion flakes for part or all of the onion, if you like. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Mix thoroughly.

Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a non-stick pan and just a few drops of oil, if you wish, but for best results use 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil.

Using about 1/2 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I made these tonight with fried apples and bacon. YUM!!!! I had trouble keeping them together, but I don't think I got all the water out of the potatoes that I could. EVERYONE liked them, even my super picky eater.

As for canning, I don't think I'm going to try that this year. I would have to buy all the equipment and I can't justify that for apples one time a year. Next year, if I do the farmer's markets over the summer, I might go ahead and purchase it. I'm going to freeze a bunch of apple pie fillings, apple sauce, apple butter and fried apples. YUM!

Happy baking!

Dorinda

The ones with grated potatoes my family called Reibekuchen, which are the exact same thing as Kartoffelpuffer, just a different regional name - and both are pretty much the exact same thing as latkes - except my mom always puts a piece of bacon in the middle. Yum.

My mom made the ones with leftover mashed potatoes too, and that's what she called potato pancakes, but we had another name for the other kind. :001_smile:

Okay, I admit I had no idea I was supposed to put something in to the leftover mashed potato kind - I just made little patties and fried them. I'm supposed to add egg? I admit mine didn't hold together well... I was just trying to re-heat the potatoes (and I didn't call my mom to check how she did it - I figured how complicated can it be??)

We eat them as a lunch/dinner side dish. I like to mix grated potato, zucchini, carrot and onion. I grate them (usually 1 potato, 2 zucchini, 1/2 of a large carrot, 1/2 of a white onion is plenty), squeeze out the liquid, add seasoned bread crumbs, pressed garlic, Parmesan cheese, 1 slightly beaten egg (sometimes 2, it depends on how wet it's looking) and salt and pepper. Make sure the oil is *hot* before you start to cook them.

how do you squeeze out the liquid? in a collander or paper towels?