Menu

Banned books: Why is Wind in the Willows on the list?

Maybe it has to do with Toad being under house arrest & don't they inflict some "corporal punishment" upon him in an effort to turn him from his compulsive & destructive ways? So many are offended by such.

Also the battle with the invaders when he returns from jail might be "violent" to some who are sensitive to it.

They talk of Gypsies & some groups might infer racism.

Who knows these days... .eveyrone seems to find offense in something even a compulsive rich Toad & a grouchy old noble Badger.;)

Where/who has banned it?

After a google search, it seems:

There is a list of the top 100 novels of the 20th century.

Banned books are bolded. The Wind in the Willows is not bolded on any copy I could find with the bolding intact.

Some sites have merely copied the list and listed it as "banned books" without including the fact that it was only the bolded ones which were banned.

Therefore, other people reasonably conclude that the Wind in the Willows is banned based on this miscopied list.

I can find no original source for the Wind in the Willows, but imo this is the most plausible explanation.

Banned and/or Challenged Books

Banned ones are bolded, the rest have been challenged. Wind in the Willows has been challenged but not banned, according to this list.

The ALA website had a database at one time with challenged books and reasons they were challenged, down to the offending page numbers. For example, I specifically remember Eloise in Paris being on the list, turning to that page in the book and seeing that the Venus d'Milo was in the picture, along with another naked lady painting (just a line drawings, like all the Eloise books). I can't find it now, perhaps they removed it?

Banned and/or Challenged Books

Banned ones are bolded, the rest have been challenged. Wind in the Willows has been challenged but not banned, according to this list.

The ALA website had a database at one time with challenged books and reasons they were challenged, down to the offending page numbers. For example, I specifically remember Eloise in Paris being on the list, turning to that page in the book and seeing that the Venus d'Milo was in the picture, along with another naked lady painting (just a line drawings, like all the Eloise books). I can't find it now, perhaps they removed it?

Yep...This looks like my kids reading list. I had no idea WHY no one in my kids college classes had read these books <tongue planted firmly in cheek...> but I never thought they were BANNED. I just thought we were book snobs.....sigh.....

~~Faithe

Regarding this link, a previous post stated:

That's not correct, though I do think the explanatory text is easy to misunderstand. At the top of the webpage it says:
The titles in bold represent banned or challenged books.
The list on that page is actually the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century. Forty-two of them are in boldface because they've been banned or challenged. Those in regular typeface have NOT been banned or challenged.

So I don't believe Wind in the Willows was ever challenged. Nor were Charlotte's Web, Winnie the Pooh, or My Antonia.

I think the original version is more violent than later adaptations. And Pan, the goat god, has been removed completely from some editions.

One Amazon reviewer wrote: "All the British terminology has been removed, most of the references to things British have been removed, all references to guns & knives have been removed (but they left in the picture of Ratty entering Toad Hall with gun in hand), the entire chapter with Pan--one of the most enchanting in the entire book--has been removed, and most references to other literature (such as the chapter title "The Return of Ulysses") have been removed."

This article might shed a little light on some of the concerns.

Second Wind for a Toad and His Pals

Regarding this link, a previous post stated:

That's not correct, though I do think the explanatory text is easy to misunderstand. At the top of the webpage it says:

The list on that page is actually the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century. Forty-two of them are in boldface because they've been banned or challenged. Those in regular typeface have NOT been banned or challenged.

So I don't believe Wind in the Willows was ever challenged. Nor were Charlotte's Web, Winnie the Pooh, or My Antonia.

Interesting -- Then the entire list is misleading because a lot of folks think the 100 books listed on that list are banned, me included. Didn't read it properly I guess, including me. My hubby made the comment he thinks they did the list that way in order to get more people to buy the books. Make people think something is banned and they will jump to read it. Hmm!

Thanks everybody!

Interesting -- Then the entire list is misleading because a lot of folks think the 100 books listed on that list are banned, me included. Didn't read it properly I guess, including me. My hubby made the comment he thinks they did the list that way in order to get more people to buy the books. Make people think something is banned and they will jump to read it. Hmm!

Thanks everybody!

I think the reason they wrote it that way is to show what a high percentage of the "top 100 novels of the century" were banned/challenged.

Thanks everybody!

Ah, yes, I only gave it a cursory reading last night! eta: I do wonder, then, why Animal Farm isn't bolded. I know it's been challenged several times.

I think the reason they wrote it that way is to show what a high percentage of the "top 100 novels of the century" were banned/challenged.

I'm sure that's the case.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Dumb question - who "bans" books and what does that mean practically?

What's the difference between a challenge and a banning?

A challenge is an attempt to remove or restrict materials, based upon the objections of a person or group. A banning is the removal of those materials. Challenges do not simply involve a person expressing a point of view; rather, they are an attempt to remove material from the curriculum or library, thereby restricting the access of others. Due to the commitment of librarians, teachers, parents, students and other concerned citizens, most challenges are unsuccessful and most materials are retained in the school curriculum or library collection.

Dumb question - who "bans" books and what does that mean practically?

It's not a dumb question because when I read the thread title, I said to myself, "Banned by whom?"

There's no *official* banning list, so I always ask, "Who's list?" when someone asks if something is on THE banned list. (This isn't directed at the OP, just a comment on banning in general.)

Edited by Blessedfamily

The best solution -- yes I strongly feel -- is to allow parents the freedom to have alternative reading assigned to their child(ren) when desired. I occasionally have had to request this for my son, and have had no difficulty with the teachers. Everybody was satisfied because it was handled discreetly, politely, and with my "homework done" to buttress my request.

(I am simultaneously a credentialed librarian, a teacher, a parent, and a concerned citizen. :) )

Due to the commitment of librarians, teachers, parents, students and other concerned citizens, most challenges are unsuccessful and most materials are retained in the school curriculum or library collection.

The best solution -- yes I strongly feel -- is to allow parents the freedom to have alternative reading assigned to their child(ren) when desired. I occasionally have had to request this for my son, and have had no difficulty with the teachers. Everybody was satisfied because it was handled discreetly, politely, and with my "homework done" to buttress my request.

(I am simultaneously a credentialed librarian, a teacher, a parent, and a concerned citizen. :) )

:iagree: As far as schools are concerned.

It's certainly what I would do, if I felt the need. Our schoolboard website explicity empowers parents to substitute books if they find a required reading inappropriate. The alternative that the parent provides must be comparable in complexity, etc.

I'm aware that some have strong feelings about kids reading anything they want, but the point is, you have choices if you disagree with a reading assignment. (Hopefully, in all states?)

Edited by Blessedfamily

A lot of this is stupid. I am sorry but if a school board or some other governing committee decides that some book has sexually explicit material and isn't appropriate for a class and they should substitute something else, I see nothing wrong with that. I would say the same thing if they decide that some material is too violent ( a war novel) or some other issue. They not only have the right to decide on curriculum, they have that obligation. This is a far cry from deciding to burn books or remove books from libraries. Now I think discretion is probably more warranted in a school library than in a public library. There are tons of material that I find objectionable for all sorts of reasons in the library- too stupid, wrongheaded, too sexually explicit, whatever. But I am sure others would find some of what I want to read to be objectionable to them so I practive live and let live at the library.