Menu

Anyone replaced bi-fold closet doors with curtains?

Tap

Has anyone taken the bi-fold doors off of their kids closet and just used curtains instead? How did it work out and did you regret it later?

DD10s room is 10x10. She has several bookcases to control her "collections". There is one spot that would fit a book case beautifully except for her closet door. It would over lap by a few inches and make the door unusable.

Removing the doors would make decorating her room much easier. She never closes her doors so they are always open, so it definitely wouldn't make the room more messy.

Ours weren't bi-fold, but they were sliders that kept coming off the track. I was afraid they were going to kill each other with them (when they were 2) so I took them off and put up curtains. We didn't regret it. I used a tension type shower curtain rod (found some really cute flower print ones at Wal-mart) and I use a sheet that matches their bedding. I just safety pinned it to make a hem for the rod to go through, so the sheets could be reused.

I did this. At first I tried to put a curtain rod over the closet door opening, but it drove me crazy because I could see into the closet from the side. Our closet was too wide for a standard tension rod, so I bought a 1" wooden curtain rod and found round brackets at the hardward store that would fit it. I had to sew an extra pocket in the curtains to fit the thickness of the rod. We love it! No more pinched fingers or closet doors coming off the track. The closet curtains match the window curtains and look adorable.

HTH,

Leanna

What I did in the nursery of our last house, as small bedroom, is had no door or covering. The closet went the whole width of the room and the doors were about 7 feet wide. I had the builder (could be done after, as well) put built in shelves in each side of the closet - floor to ceiling on one side - with a 2 foot high bottom shelf, so a hamper could go under. On the other side, the first shelf was 3 feet high with a closet rod underneath. So there was still room for hanging clothes, but many shelves for everything from bedding to books, games puzzles seasonal clothes, etc. (there was no long rod or shelf in the closet) This made the room much bigger - I actually put the dresser in the alcove, but thought for an older child it could be set up as a reading area. The shelves stayed neat, because there was room for everything and the room stayed neat because the toys, books, bedding, extras, etc were not in the playing/sleeping space. I have used curtains in many instances and have always used a shower rod for the fabric.

Pretty tablecloths work great, because they are heavy enough and come in a variety of fabrics.

We had to remove our closet doors when we were in college. They were about to fall off on their own, anyway. The maintenance crew came over, removed the doors, and replaced them with a shower curtain rod. Then I put up a nice looking shower curtain--it was inexpensive and easy to open and close. I really liked having a curtain there, instead of doors. It took up less space. We had a 600 sq. ft., 2 bedroom apt. At one point we put the computer desk in that closet, which wouldn't have worked with doors.

Now, we only had a baby while we lived there, and not a bunch of rowdy kids, like we do now. My biggest concrn now is that my boys would try to swing from the curtains if I put some in their room. . . .

Has anyone taken the bi-fold doors off of their kids closet and just used curtains instead? How did it work out and did you regret it later?

DD10s room is 10x10. She has several bookcases to control her "collections". There is one spot that would fit a book case beautifully except for her closet door. It would over lap by a few inches and make the door unusable.

Removing the doors would make decorating her room much easier. She never closes her doors so they are always open, so it definitely wouldn't make the room more messy.

I replaced the Bifolds in my Kitchen with a shower curtain map of the world...OK...not exactly Martha Stewart...but fun, inexpensive, washable, easily replaceable and it has a MAP OF THE WORLD! I can write on it w/ dry erase markers and follow the explorers across the ocean...etc. I love it!

~~Faithe

Hi guys,

I am so sorry I haven't posted pictures. Both the girls have fevers, the oldest has 102 and we spent 2 hours at emergency room. She tested negative for the flu but the dr. did say, it could be or as she said "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then you have to wonder if it could be a duck" lol

I will post I promise.

Yes, we did this in our last house in the boys' room and turned their closet into a secret hangout with bean bags and such. They loved it! I liked it so much that I did the same thing on our laundry closet with a more expensive rod and formal drapes. It was georgeous and I got so many compliments on both!

When we moved our buyers asked us to leave the set up on the laundry closet and replace the doors in the children's room.

Okay this is my first time to post pictures so I hope this works:D

Now I could have used niced curtains and the effect would be much nicer, but my girls both chose shower curtains with patterns they liked at Target.

I have attached two photos of each, one of closet opened and one with curtain shut. The first closet we have a piece of wood trim that hides the curtain rod, the second bedroom is missing that but I plan to add it to hide the adjustable shower curtain rod. We have had them this way for about 4 years.

I can only find how to do two pictures at a time so this is first bedroom

post-162-13535083003768_thumb.jpg

post-162-1353508300414_thumb.jpg

post-162-13535083003768_thumb.jpg

post-162-1353508300414_thumb.jpg

Loooove it! I just might have to do this! And I like the idea for the laundry area as well.

Thanks! I had thought about the laundry area as well. My youngest begged me to do this to her closet after her sister had hers taken off. The way you can see so much better what is on the sides is really amazing. If you do it, let us know what you think!!

I did it in college b/c I had so little space. It was great. Not sure I would do it with DS b/c things would falll out into the floor... haha... but it was a great way to conserve space. Used adjustable shower rod also.

You can modify those doors (if you remove them) and make a great bookshelf too. (if they are the kind with the slats going across... saw them at a antique shop... so cute)