Menu

Surprise pregnancy!

I just took the test tonight and it came out positive. My cycle is 2 days late. I'm going to take one in the a.m. But, oh.my.goodness! It's kind of unreal to me right now. Our two dc are 8 and 6. We've been going back and forth with not limiting our family and dh had already said he wanted another. But, that was just last month! It happened quick! So, while I shouldn't be surprised, (because we all know how this happens) I am. My questions are: I have not been taking pre-natal vitamins and don't take my standard vitamins regularly, but do take them. I'm concerned about that. Should I be? I know that's important. I'm, of course, going to start now, but I'm scared I've already missed out on protection. I have a fairly healthy diet with veggies and fruit. I'm just speechless. I cannot believe it!

Can I get some healthy tips on how to not gain a lot of weight. I gained a lot with my first two, but I wasn't eating as healthy then.

Congratulations!!! How exciting!

I have not been taking pre-natal vitamins and don't take my standard vitamins regularly, but do take them. I'm concerned about that. Should I be? I know that's important. I'm, of course, going to start now, but I'm scared I've already missed out on protection. I have a fairly healthy diet with veggies and fruit.

Don't be concerned. Many, many women do not take prenatal vitamins prior to conception.

Can I get some healthy tips on how to not gain a lot of weight. I gained a lot with my first two, but I wasn't eating as healthy then.

If you are eating a healthy diet you don't need to be concerned with weight gain. Your body will do what it needs to do in order to grow a healthy baby. Make sure you are getting plenty of water, protein (VERY important), and all of the wholesome things our bodies need. Having some "junk" foods is absolutely fine every now and then as long as you are putting in the healthy foods.

Thanks. Also, I was low on progesterone with my 2nd and that was almost 7 years ago. Is it okay to use my natural progesterone cream until I get to the ob/gyn or midwife? Also, anyone in the Houston area have a good ob/gyn or midwife? My ob/gyn is downtown at the Woman's Hospital and I would rather not go down there this time, but if that is best then I will. I've been thinking about going a different way this time, midwife and just a holistic approach. I wouldn't mind an ob/gyn who practices in a balanced way. Any suggestions for all that? And, when should I "feel" pregnant? I think I do a little now that I know, but my symptoms are going to the bathroom more and just digestive stuff at night (bloating, etc.), but no nausea or sore breasts. I know it's good to feel it. Will that come or should I be feeling it now?

Congratulations!!! How exciting!

Don't be concerned. Many, many women do not take prenatal vitamins prior to conception.

If you are eating a healthy diet you don't need to be concerned with weight gain. Your body will do what it needs to do in order to grow a healthy baby. Make sure you are getting plenty of water, protein (VERY important), and all of the wholesome things our bodies need. Having some "junk" foods is absolutely fine every now and then as long as you are putting in the healthy foods.

Thanks. That's a relief to hear. I will start taking them now, of course. I will also add more protein. I also take regular supplements. Do you happen to know if any of these should be stopped? Vitex, B-complex, L-lysine, flax oil, evening primrose. I saw the link to a naturopathic center and would love to hear your suggestions. Do you know of anyone good in Houston area? :)

Thanks. That's a relief to hear. I will start taking them now, of course. I will also add more protein. I also take regular supplements. Do you happen to know if any of these should be stopped? Vitex, B-complex, L-lysine, flax oil, evening primrose. I saw the link to a naturopathic center and would love to hear your suggestions. Do you know of anyone good in Houston area? :)

I could be remembering wrong but I think evening primrose was what I took to induce labor for my WAY over due dd.

I also took (take) CoQ10 w/ my pregnancies

And, when should I "feel" pregnant? I think I do a little now that I know, but my symptoms are going to the bathroom more and just digestive stuff at night (bloating, etc.), but no nausea or sore breasts.

It's different for everyone and every pregnancy. If you are just two days late then the nausea may come in a few weeks. Or you may not have that with this pregnancy.

Do you happen to know if any of these should be stopped? Vitex, B-complex, L-lysine, flax oil, evening primrose.

I'm not entirely familiar with Vitex during pregnancy but I did find this:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/archive/index.php/t-589657.html

B-complex should be safe. B vitamins can also help with nausea.

And I'm also not really familiar with L-lysine but I do know that it can be used during pregnancy to help with a herpes outbreak. So it should be safe to keep taking.

Flax oil and EPO are both safe.

Do you know of anyone good in Houston area?

I sure don't. But you could go onto the Mothering message boards, to the Tribal Area for your area and ask. :) You can also ask there about midwives.

evening primrose was what I took to induce labor for my WAY over due dd.

EPO doesn't induce labor. It just helps ripen the cervix.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks. Also, I was low on progesterone with my 2nd and that was almost 7 years ago. Is it okay to use my natural progesterone cream until I get to the ob/gyn or midwife?

It probably depends on how low your progesterone is (if it is even low this pregnancy). Usually progesterone causes issues very early in pregancy. It did for me. However, if you discovered it during pregnancy last time you aren't dealing with what I was. In my case pregnancy progesterone issues weren't corrected with natural creams. I'd give the call now. Surely the midwife would call something in for you?

Congratulations! Must be the year for surprise babies - my children are 13 and 10. Surprise was not even the word for what I felt at the time :001_huh:

I was not taking pre-natal vitamins, I also had had a few glasses of wine here and there (being totally clueless, of course, as to what was going on in my body :D) and this baby, in fact this whole pregnancy has been the healthiest and best of the lot. So don't worry too much:)

Thanks for the congrats and support, everyone! The 2nd pg test this a.m. was also ++. :) I'll be calling the dr. today.

I'm sure I'll have more of these ques. now that the reality is setting in. :) But, does anyone know how to not swell during pregnancy? My right leg got huge with my 2nd. I would like to avoid that, if at all possible. Is it mainly diet or is it just going to be the way it is? It's always been a tad larger than the other leg since and on occasion swells a little. (heat and diet seem to be the main culprits).

Thanks, again, for the encouragement!

But, does anyone know how to not swell during pregnancy? My right leg got huge with my 2nd. I would like to avoid that, if at all possible. Is it mainly diet or is it just going to be the way it is?

Well, some swelling can be normal. And yes, diet can help. Getting plenty of water, do not cut out salt, keep your protein intake up...that will all help.

Try not to worry (I always feel like there is something new to worry about everyday with pregnancy :tongue_smilie:). Stress is not good. Relax. As far as not gaining a lot of weight, I have no advice. I always gain at least 45 lbs. Even with my last one, and I exercised everyday (walked 2 to 3 miles), and tried to be careful with what I ate. I wish I knew the secret.

I just took the test tonight and it came out positive. My cycle is 2 days late. I'm going to take one in the a.m. But, oh.my.goodness! It's kind of unreal to me right now. Our two dc are 8 and 6. We've been going back and forth with not limiting our family and dh had already said he wanted another. But, that was just last month! It happened quick! So, while I shouldn't be surprised, (because we all know how this happens) I am. My questions are: I have not been taking pre-natal vitamins and don't take my standard vitamins regularly, but do take them. I'm concerned about that. Should I be? I know that's important. I'm, of course, going to start now, but I'm scared I've already missed out on protection. I have a fairly healthy diet with veggies and fruit. I'm just speechless. I cannot believe it!

Kind of throws you for a loop, doesn't it? :hurray: