Menu

Freaked Out! Talk to me about moving.

So dh was offered a job in Syracuse, NY yesterday. It's in his field with decent pay and after him being unemployed for almost a year we want to take it.

They want him to start September 14th! That's in two weeks.

But we live in Baltimore, MD! Not New York. I have no experience with long-distance moving.

What do I need to know? How am I going to sell my house so we can rent one up there?

Did your DH negotiate the move and expenses into accepting the job? If so, I would get a list of accepted moving companies from his new employer and start with interviewing them. If not you will need to decide if you are going to move yourselves (U-haul or similar) or if you are going to pay for a larger company to do it. I would recommend interviewing several moving companies. Have them come to your home and give you an estimate based on the expected "weight" of your household goods. I know when we move (which is often.. thanks Uncle Sam) we typically range between 8,000 & 10,000 pounds for a family of four. Ask what services and materials are included in that estimate etc. I would google "tips for moving with professional movers" or something along those lines as I have heard plenty of horror stories from civilian friends who contract with movers.

As far as your house goes, I would get it on the market ASAP if you want to sell and also consider that your DH may have to go ahead and work in NY while you await an offer and close on the house. (Unless you can afford to have a mortgage and a rent... ) You may also want to consider renting your own home out (depending on the rental market in your area) and that way you can continue to build equity in your home while someone else pays the mortgage. As far as renting on the other end, most real estate offices have a property manager who handles that brokerages particular rentals. You may have to contact many brokerages in the area to get the most rental options possible. I would definately advise seeing them in person before renting (although in the military it is quite normal to rent "sight unseen" I don't know about the civilian sector). As far as getting the house ready... one word. PURGE! Go room to room and throw out anything that you don't want to deal with packing, unpacking, and finding a new spot for in your new home.

I hope all this helps as a first step! Congrats on your DH's new job and Good Luck!

Wow, of course you're having a big freak out! September 14 is right around the corner! So....

take a deep breath. You can do this.

You have gotten great advice so far, I just want to encourage you. It seems overwhelming, but really, how exciting, your dh has a job!!! That is the main thing to keep in mind, you are moving for a good reason.

We've made 8 household relocations in 13 years, several of them could be considered cross country, most into uncharted territory for us. All seemed pretty stressful at the time. But, we got through it. You will, too.

Hopefully the company will be picking up expenses. If they set you up with a moving company, get and stay in contact with your relocation counselor. This person will help you with many of the details.

Syracuse is cold! My dh used to have an office there. You need long underwear, woolies, and chains for your tires! It's a special kind of winter there.

Congrats on a good job! That's wonderful. I am thinking you're going to have to send him up first while you get things in order in MD. Good luck with everything. Moving is stressful, but you can do it. You're a planner and organizied. That's half the battle.

I would say don't buy anything. Rent first and see what areas seem more you.

Edited by LibraryLover

You probably have already thought of this, but here are some basics:

1. Start packing NOW. Pack non-essentials first. Packing can be overwhelming--start with ONE area and finish it. Moving is a great time to get rid of things you don't use, too!

2. Mark each box with

* Room it belongs in

* Nonessential or Essential (I just do E or N in a circle)

* Mark fragile items and pack anything fragile WELL--don't be skimpy on glass and precious stuff.

3. If the company does not reimburse for relocating, KEEP all reciepts (boxes, tape, movers, gas). I *think* it can be tax writeoff, but someone else might know for sure. It seems I saw that somewhere...I'm sure you can double-check this info pretty easily on the IRS website and see what the criteria is.

I can't tell you how many times I've moved. Literally. Not so much as an adult, but my parents moved at least once a year when I was growing up. :tongue_smilie:

Syracuse is cold! My dh used to have an office there. You need long underwear, woolies, and chains for your tires! It's a special kind of winter there.

It's not that bad!!! Well, at least you don't need chains on your tires, but maybe snow tires...

As far as moving, I don't really have anymore advice. We've moved a lot (and I agree with label EVERYTHING) but never outside of the greater Syracuse area. If you can find a place to rent month to month or plan a month at the Residence Inn or something that would give you time to feel out the different parts of Syracuse and decided where you want to live.

Feel free to PM me with questions about the area.

Congratulations on the job offer. I have only moved with my husband's company so I don't necessarily have any advice for you about selling a house etc., but I thought I'd let you know what his company is doing now (we are in the middle of a transfer). If your husband knows what some companies do with relocations, it might help him know what to ask for.

House - the company has our house appraised by two different appraisers. If they are 5% or less apart, the company will average the two. We can then sell the house to the company. We also have the option to try to sell the house for two months before we give it to the company. If we sell it ourselves, the company will give us an additional 7% of the home's value.

Relocation - the company will hire a moving company to pack and move us. We have a two month window of temporary living. Temporary living includes either a furnished apartment or a hotel room (suite for a family) depending on what is available. It also includes a food allowance of $85 dollars/day (for 2 adults and 3 kids).

Finances - the company will act as a bank and forward us the equity in our home so that we can close on a new house quickly. Dh also gets a month's salary as a moving bonus after the relocation is complete.

My BIL's company is almost identical in it's relocation policy.

As a new hire that might be a stretch. If they won't buy your house, they might at least physically move you and give you temporary housing. BIL's company also offers (and I believe Dh's although we've never used it) a familiarization trip where they will pay for gas/lodging/food while you look for a place to live.

Moving is always a hassle, but if the company can take away some of the stress (either buying the house or moving you) it becomes a lot easier. I wish your husband the best on Monday.

Congratulations!

If you all attend church, synagogue, or whatever, you may want to contact churches (or whatever) in Syracuse. We found our last two rentals that way and have had great experiences with landlords, housing size, rental cost, etc. We rent our current house for 1/2 of what it would have cost us for a place of comparable size anywhere else in town plus it is on 2 acres (anything else we could have found would have had a postage-stamp yard at best). Churches, etc. can also be helpful to contact because they may offer to help you move in if you are moving yourself and help you feel welcome in a new place (I can't tell you how many picnics we attended our first week here, not to mention all the food people dropped off).

I know that it can be stressful, but try to enjoy the move. You can pretend you are the Ingalls being told to leave Indian Territory with no notice and off to wilder frontiers!

When our neighbors moved they had a local realtor show the house - and they left a lot of furniture behind to keep it "staged" until they could buy a house in the new area (they rented until then). They gave keys to another neighbor and myself so we could go in and flush toilets, etc. during cold spells, also to make sure everything was locked up after a realtor had shown the house (you would not believe how many realtors left doors/windows unlocked and lights on after leaving a house!!!). Do you have a good neighbor who you could ask to do this?

Start packing now!! Give yourself a deadline of a week before the move to be done (I should have doine that! - We didn't finish packing, ran out of room in the truck and DH had to go back, finish the packing and rent another truck to bring!!)

If I could do it again, and I was getting reloc package from company - I think I'd hire movers. We did it ourselves and though we saved money - it was a pain. Plus, since we were given a lump sum and didn't use it all on eligible moving expenses - our taxes went up tremendously! Plus - if you have any damages the movers should take care of it. We had some nice pieces that got scraped up, etc.

Use a realtor to find a rental - several are listed on the mls and if you find some on craig's list the realtor will follow through for you. If you get a good realtor he/she will be able to weed out the properties that won't fit your specs.

We rented our home that we were leaving and I almost wished that we had hired a management company. It was difficult to follow through on rental receipts when we were so far away. Consult a realtor on your home and the market. If your area still has several foreclosures and short sales than it might benefit you to rent your current home for a year or two before you sell, in order to get the best price.

But congrats on the job!!!! I know it must be a HUGE relief!! My dh has been looking for 7 months now - so I know you must be doing the hap:party:py dance!!

I'm wondering if I should stay here until October or November 1st to give dh time to find a house to rent and give my childcare parents time to find a new sitter?

Well, this is just my opinion, but the more time you give your child care parents to find new arrangements, the longer they'll take to find new arrangements. You are going to need your time to deal with the details of the move, and/or to attend to the double duties of single parenting for a while if dh goes on before you.

JMO.

DH works in one city & we live in another... until our house sells & it has been on the market for 20 months. I do not envy you & I hope they offer to take good care of him until you can sell & follow. DH company does not, but they did give him $$ for helping pay a mover, etc.

I hope it moves quickly for you. Find a very agressive realtor!

Hope you can go with him... that is too far to be apart.

Just a thought, if you are going to use a moving company, don't pack anything yet (except those things you will move yourself). DH got a transfer a year and a half ago and we moved 200 miles. I couldn't do the packing myself because the moving company would NOT INSURE it if I packed it. I would make sure it is OK for you to pack yourself before you get too involved in it. I will tell you that I was very nervous about someone else going through my things, but it was OK. Just be sure to pack anything you don't want someone to see. I had a guy go through all my unmentionables, because I forgot about them until I was unpacking at the new house.:glare: Also, if they are doing the packing, and you are paying for it, watch how much packing materials they use. You are charged for all of it, plus it adds to the weight. They individually wrapped plastic cups, like the ones you get from fast food places. They also packed trash cans with trash in them.:D We didn't care because the company was paying for it, but something to watch. I would have to say that I've told DH that I never want to move ourselves again! It was soooo nice!

We just moved from Maryland to Southern California 2 months ago. In our case, my husband moved first in January but he had his brother's place to stay, while I waited for the spring months to put the house up for sale.

I would start to declutter now. Get rid of everything you don't want to move, no matter whether the company is picking up the tab or not. This will help you prepare the house for sale and for your move.

My husband's company offered for reimbursement of moving expenses up to $15,000. It spelled exactly what expenses it could go towards, such as trips to the new area, accomodation, moving company etc.

Once you know exactly what relocation package your husband's company is offering, you will know what you have to do. If they pay for the moving company, I would advice letting the moving company do all the packing. Get also a binding estimate, so that no matter what the price will not change.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

The first thing to start with a pending move and go through every draw, closet, cabinet and get rid of everything you do not use or need. Don't even consider having a yard sale. Just bless friends, family and/or donate. Make a list of all repairs the house needs and start working on that. Hopefully you will ahve a full relocation with dh offer and you won't have to do much. One thing I always do when the packers arrive is have a designated area for DO NOT PACK!!!! andlet them know not to touch anything in that pile. When you do your walk through and be sure to take the thime to count boxes and make sure the count is accurate and ask for packers to leave a couple of boxes, tape and paper. You'll be suprised what you will find as the movers start taking out furniture or as you do a final walk through and see the things left behind in closets and cabinets. Do not let them mark anything PBO(packed by owner) that was not.

Here is what I would do (have moved 11x-Alabama/Georgia/Washington/TN/Alabama many places in all those states! )

1. If husband gets a moving 'allowance' make the most of it by doing the following....

a. Craigs list for moving boxes...you can save $$$ by asking for professional mover boxes and just buying packing tape...I would go to new neighborhoods and drive around for Atlas moving vans...most the time the families moving in just set great boxes out...they love to get rid of them! :) We've had my company pay $65,000 to move my family...knowing what I know now, I could have done the same move for under 12k!! :)

b. I found great local movers who will move all the big stuff for us and we have all boxes packed up ready to go in the garage...it took 4 hours for a 4000 sq. ft house...we paid the movers $750 to load/unload!! (Traveling 4 hours with 4 men moving)

c. Get a MOVING notebook...in here put all the numbers for electric/water/garbage numbers....insurance information (need to make sure your auto insurers have you new numbers/addresses at all times...change all credit card/billers to new address..it might help to get a PO box until you move into a permanent home...doing all this 2-3x while waiting for the house to sell is a pain!! Get your house list ready...it may be best to just pack up and pay someone to do touchups once you move out...

d. forget homeschool for about 3 months, instead keep a laundry basket of books that you want each of them to complete during this transition..you may even throw in some math worksheets or such....but with all the errands and business they can read read read!! :) My kids finished all the Redwall series when we moved last! :)

Just remind yourself that moving will do 3 things..

It will be the most stressful time in your life :tongue_smilie:

It will make you declutter and THANKFUL to have everything organized again!! :D

And it will take you 6 months to get that done!! ;)

Tara

Congratulations on the job, that's wonderful news :)

I think it's a good idea to get your DH to go ahead of you, it allows you more time to find a reasonable rental property there; I've done the whole "3 days to find a house" thing before and it is no fun and seldom ends with a house that you are really happy with. Your DH may be able to find a family to board with for a month or two while he searches for a home for you, and meantime you can finish things off nicely at your end.

I just want to say that 'Cuse rocks! We spend a LOT of time up there (we live in the deep south) and we totally love it. I'd move there in a second (minus the snow - I am now a Southerner - LOL!!). And, I've made a bunch of moves ofver the years (military family) - they all stink but in a month it'll be over. Hang in there - pay for whatever you can (and get the company to pay!) - and take all the help people will offer. Now is the time to cash in some favors. And have fun!!!

Well, I posted about our yard sale on facebook, craigslist and the local homeschool and parenting groups and it looks like people are actually coming.

We already had one lady come look at the house today. Going to try to keep from listing it with a realtor if we can avoid it. I don't want to pay their fees.

Well, I posted about our yard sale on facebook, craigslist and the local homeschool and parenting groups and it looks like people are actually coming.

We already had one lady come look at the house today. Going to try to keep from listing it with a realtor if we can avoid it. I don't want to pay their fees.

Good luck! That would be so awesome!

Syracuse...that is where my ex husband was transferred right around the time we divorced. Big moves like that, with a company who pays for everything, are EASY. My hardest moves were the ones where we only went a few miles. If your dh has a moving package, they will likely do most of the work for you (other than putting things away at the new house and picking the house out for you). Take heart. :)

Taking the perspective that dh has been out of work a year and finances may be an issue, I would not focus on trying to get up there at the same time as dh. I would declutter, declutter, declutter, and meet with a real estate agent about what you need to do to make your house sell. I'd get the house in shape for sale and put it on the market. I'd stay in the house with the kids until it sells. I'd have dh find the most inexpensive place to rent (apt or even a room), hopefully with a lease that doesn't require a full year committment. Once your house is up for sale (or before), tell your daycare people you plan to close the daycare by ---- date. Some people will not start looking for alternative care until the last day and some will find new daycare immediately.

While dh is in temporary housing, ask him to ask around at his new job about neighborhoods to check out.

Well, we had someone come look at the house yesterday and she's going to talk to people about financing today. She said she loves the house and is hoping it'll work out. I'm not banking on it, since she's the first person to come, but it would certainly be an answer to prayer.

• 1 month later...

I do have experience in long and short distance moving. In 13 years of marriage we've moved over 15 times: 4 of them cross country, and one across the Atlantic.

First of all, breathe.

Then, get a notebook that is easy to carry around for your lists. Lists of what to do, Lists of when to do, ect. Carry this around with you, keep it by your bed. When you think of something you have to do, write it down.

Keep your children on a similar routine. If you think this won't happen, start a new one. When we moved from California to Indiana, I had my kids having a 4 pm juice time. (They were small.) Every day at 4 pm, we had juice. Storytime and bedtime stayed the same also.

Now when we left the country, we spent a month in a hotel, that screwed our schedule up quite a bit and it made the move that much harder.

It's not that long of a trek. Keep telling yourself that. It's a lot to process, but you can handle this.

Repeat: You Can handle this.

Breathe. Are you breathing?

Don't forget to pack a small to go bag with your toiletries, favorite books for children, and loveys. View this as an adventure.