Menu

Making Popcorn

I have been trying to perfect making a batch of popcorn and need help. I used to have a gas stove and it made a perfect, panfull of popcorn everytime. We have moved and I now have an electric stove. I have been using the same pot, olive oil, and regular popcorn...but not good results. Do you have any tips or can you recommend a good popcorn popper?

Thanks

Guest Virginia Dawn

We have a hot air popper and a Whirly Pop. I love the Whirly Pop. You use it to make stove top popcorn. It has a crank handle that stirs the popcorn around while it is heating up.

We have a hot air popper and a Whirly Pop. I love the Whirly Pop. You use it to make stove top popcorn. It has a crank handle that stirs the popcorn around while it is heating up.

Yup, me, too. And I've used it on both our old electric coil burners and our newer radiant heat burners without an issue.

Well, I am still the typical modern American microwaver when it comes to popcorn, but your post is making me hungry for some right now!

I will watch replies, though, since pop-it-yourself is waaaaay cheaper for taking to the local drive-in in a big brown bag to serve 10!

My husband makes great popcorn on the stove top (electric). He pours in the oil (we use canola, haven't tried olive), puts in three kernels, turns the heat to about 6.5 (sometimes toward 7) on the dial, covers and waits for the three kernels to pop, then puts in the rest of the corn, covers and shakes periodically to keep the kernels moving down. We usually have to pour off some of the popped corn partway through the process to allow room for the rest to pop---just be sure to shake down the kernels before you pour off. Then wait until the popping slows dramatically and take off. This is in a regular straight sided deep saucepan with lid.

When we moved into our house, it had a flat top stove. I hate it. I could never make popcorn and I LOVE popcorn. After listening to my whining for years, dh bought me a real movie popcorn popper for Christmas last year. It might be the best gift I have ever received.

When we moved into our house, it had a flat top stove. I hate it. I could never make popcorn and I LOVE popcorn. After listening to my whining for years, dh bought me a real movie popcorn popper for Christmas last year. It might be the best gift I have ever received.

I LOVE popcorn too and that is the sweetest thing I've ever heard!!!!

We love our Back-To-Basics microwave popper. Use it at least 5 times a week. Leaves a few old maids in the bottom, but makes wonderful popcorn. I use olive oil with delicious results. Sometimes if we are being decadent, I put in about 2 tsp of olive oil, add 1/8 tsp of salt and about 1 tablespoon of white granulated sugar -- stir it up, then add the kernels and pop for pretty decent kettle corn.

I cannot agree more! The Whirly-Pop has changed my life! ;)

I followed a tip I read here and often use virgin coconut oil. DELICIOUS!

astrid

I use organic virgin coconut oil, too -- YUM! :lurk5:

Jackie

(who's off to google "Whirly Pop".......) :auto:

ETA: Oh my, I need one of those!!!

Edited by Corraleno
drooling

If you are making smaller servings, you can take a brown paper lunch bag, put in about 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels, fold the top of the bag over a few times to close it, and nuke it for a few minutes.

I make little tears in the top of the bag and fold one part down one way, the next part gets folded the opposite way, etc. This gives it a more secure hold.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/plain-brown-popper-recipe/index.html

I have a flat top stove. I use my spaghetti pot (tall). I pour in a decent amount of canola oil and kernels (almost covering the bottom). I shake so that all the kernels are covered with oil and set the stove to 5. I then come check my email, FB, WTM, etc. As soon as I hear the kernels start popping I go shake the pot a bit and as soon as they stop popping I dump in bowls and shake on the salt.

We just started doing this and I will not go back to microwave popcorn.

I have a flat top stove. I use my spaghetti pot (tall). I pour in a decent amount of canola oil and kernels (almost covering the bottom). I shake so that all the kernels are covered with oil and set the stove to 5. I then come check my email, FB, WTM, etc. As soon as I hear the kernels start popping I go shake the pot a bit and as soon as they stop popping I dump in bowls and shake on the salt.

We just started doing this and I will not go back to microwave popcorn.

This is EXACTLY the way I make it. (I set the burner to be medium, right in the middle... not sure if that's 5)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

:iagree: This is exactly the way my dad made it every night when I was growing up, on a coil electric stove. Actually, it's also the way I make it now on my gas stove. With the electric stove my dad used to shake the pot in contact with the coil and then lift it up a bit and back down - kind of miss that with the gas. :tongue_smilie:

We have a Whirly Pop too and it is the best popcorn we've ever made. We simply pop it with olive oil and then use spray butter and a touch of salt and it is perfect.