Menu

Note to self: Keep the front door closed!

I left the front door open today, because the house just seems so closed up when it's closed, and it's not a hot day here. A little while ago I heard a knock on the glass storm door, and thinking it was the kids and my mom, I went up. To my surprise, it was a fast-talking but very polite young man trying to sell me magazines as a social betterment initiative (or something). He didn't have the one I was willing to get, and he said the cheapest one he has is $45 :001_huh: The kid was so polite, and my DH spent a few years doing direct sales, so I ended up spending 10 minutes listening to him. I didn't buy anything, and he went away easily, but I'm always paranoid that these kinds of things are a front for casing my house. Blargh!

Do you generally keep your front door open or closed?

Closed. Always. And I can't stand it. We live close to a assisted living place, sort of a halfway house. The people who live there have NO rules except to stay off the highway. More than a few have been known to just walk into homes if the doors are open (and occasionally even if they aren't!!). Most of the folks there could truly use a little guidance but that place isn't willing to make the effort. Our city council is trying to find a way to either make them comply with more rules for those who live there or close them down.

I would LOVE to leave my front door open though. I love natural light and the open feeling. *sigh* When we get out in the country, my door will STAY open!! :lol:

I am ultra security conscious and will not open the door unless I know who is standing on the other side.

I felt a lot safer when I had my 100 pound german shepherd with the mean bark.

I have two wonderful dogs who heart us. Dogs are awesome.

I have a screen door, so that helps keep the bugs at bay. Moths are also annoying.

Closed. Always. And I can't stand it. We live close to a assisted living place, sort of a halfway house. The people who live there have NO rules except to stay off the highway. More than a few have been known to just walk into homes if the doors are open (and occasionally even if they aren't!!). Most of the folks there could truly use a little guidance but that place isn't willing to make the effort. Our city council is trying to find a way to either make them comply with more rules for those who live there or close them down.

I would LOVE to leave my front door open though. I love natural light and the open feeling. *sigh* When we get out in the country, my door will STAY open!! :lol:

On a side note, I feel your pain on the halfway house. There is an illegal men's rehab center right next door to me. The city doesn't care. The property looks awful. The worst of it is that it is not really rehab--residents pay terrible fees to participate in a program that does not give them ANY services. It's a money-making scheme, taking blatant advantage of people who desperately need help, is poorly supervised, AND they have a large mostly untrained dog loose in their unsecured back yard. It's unsafe and wrong and I cannot get the city to do a thing about it.

Obviously I never leave my front door open. Nor do my children ever, ever go in the front yard unless under my direct supervision.

When weather permits, the front door is open. But, I have a screen gate (the wrought iron kind) that makes it difficult to see in the house. If I didn't have this, I might change my policy. FWIW, I don't like the look of that gate at all but it was here when we bought the house and can't think of a better solution. So, there it stays!

Our house is as open as I can get it, except I have to have screen doors up. Not so much for bugs, but so the cats don't run out, and the bears don't get in.

We have bears here, too! And coyotes & foxes and lots of other critters.

We've had our trash raided by bears -- and seen them up close and personal -- twice within the last 2-3 weeks, so I wouldn't keep my front door open!

We keep ours open most of the time. We live in a suburban home in a (relatively)safe suburb that has a big front yard. The front door is well back from the street but visible from the street.

Our bedrooms are upstairs though, so if we are having an afternoon nap, we lock the front door.

I am a big lover of fresh air.

Because.....most of the doors here open outward (hurricane thing probably, LOL).....so I guess my door is always shut unless I want to invite all the bugs inside, LOL.

I've never seen outward opening doors and I'm in FL. But not many screen doors, either. Why keep the door open when you have to keep the a/c running 9 months out of the year? DS left the back door open last week and we got a visit from a snake. And then there's the mosquitoes. . . .

I wonder what determines that..... When I lived in SC....all doors had screens and opened inward. I hate the doors here (outward) because when someone comes over.....you have to practically open the door on top of them....

I think all of the houses around me open outwards.

I wonder what determines that..... When I lived in SC....all doors had screens and opened inward. I hate the doors here (outward) because when someone comes over.....you have to practically open the door on top of them....

I think all of the houses around me open outwards.

Around here (Michigan) only businesses have outward opening doors. It's against building code for residences.

I keep my front door closed but it's glass french doors. Lots of light--but no way to hide from salespeople etc.

I get the same JH every time just a couple times a year since my dd was a baby. She hands me a copy of The Watchtower and we chat a bit! :D She's a sweetheart.

I keep the front door and both back doors (and every window that still operates) open, as long as it's not ghastly hot or humid. When we go out, I often leave the back doors open, but we have a fenced yard and a dog (and remarkably lazy criminals).

I didn't buy anything, and he went away easily, but I'm always paranoid that these kinds of things are a front for casing my house. Blargh!

I got that vibe from a security system salesman a couple of months ago. You know, the ones who just want to do you a favor by putting their sign in your yard, yadda, yadda, meanwhile, have you not heard about the crime wave going on here? (Please. See city size poll comment about being outnumbered by chickens 100:1)

but will be closing it in the afternoon/evening to discourage neighborhood kids and such salesmen. I had one of the same fellows the other day - happened around dinner hour. I foolishly told him (in an effort to escape) that we needed to go to get my son to fb practice - then realized later he could be casing the place and I had just told him when we would be gone!

But little neighbors and salesmen usually don't come before 2 p.m., so we can enjoy the sunlight nearly all day!