Menu

Colored Pencils or Crayons

tarana

What do your 7 yr olds use Colored Pencils or Crayons for their everyday artwork in Journals, Lapbooks etc?

Will allowing them to use colored pencils cuase the nuisance of sharpening every few minutes?

Does the colored pencils have any advantage over crayons?

I hate crayons. Since we bought our first package of Prismacolors, crayons have been banned at our house. If I never see a crayon again, I'll be fine with it. I don't even buy them for the $0.10 a package at the back to school sales.

:tongue_smilie::D

They frustrate the kids because they can't color as neatly or perfectly, especially the two year old. They frustrate the mommy because there are wrappers everywhere and they break. But I"ll admit my 7yo and 5yo daughters find them fascinating because we've never had them so they're a real treat when we go out to restaurants, lol!

My ds is a perfectionist also and would rather use pencils on most things. He'll use crayons in colorbooks but only if they are sharpened (or brand new). I have piles of crayons he won't use because they don't color right (according to him). :D It's okay, I buy 20-30 packages of the 10 cent crayons at the back to school sales and just open a new one for him when he wants. My dd couldn't care less -- she'll happily draw/color with dull crayons.

We're also big colored pencil fans--Prismacolor for us. We do have a non-wood- wrapped blue Prisma "stick" that we use when coloring the water in map work!

Dd very occasionally uses crayons, usually for SOTW coloring pages. Everything else is colored pencils. I also like the colored pencils that are specifically for construction paper that RR sells.

Both girls are colored pencil converts. Once I bought the pencils for school work, the crayons have pretty much been gathering dust. I bit the bullet and bought Prismacolors strictly for school work and the Prismacolor Scholars (harder but cheaper) suffice for fun stuff.

Sylvia also loves her scented markers, but I don't allow markers for most school work of Becca's.

My 4 yr old DD will only use colored pencils now. I spoiled her with Prismacolors of all colors of the rainbow. I then fretted because they are so expensive and we're going through them so fast! Also and even worse, a good percentage of the Prisma pencils leads break over and over and over. I use expensive sharpeners and carefully sharpen. We use a light touch with them. Their soft leads simply love to break, and sometimes I swear we get some pencils that are defective somehow, as the leads just crumble to pieces when they see air.

Then I got turned onto the Lyra Ferbys (mentioned by another poster) and we have fallen in love... Sigh... I just ordered 18 more yesterday.

The Lyra Ferbys NEVER break. They write rich and smooth and vivid. They are easy to sharpen. We have a cute wooden snake to hold them (ok that doesn't matter too much, hehe). I have never, ever seen a negative review about them, but have seen dozens and dozens of complaints against the Prismacolors. We have over 100 Prismacolor pencils, so it is fun to use them for lots of different color tones, but they are very frustrating to have to sharpen when they break.

We prefer Crayola or Prismacolor brand colored pencils. The best solution to the pencil sharpening issue is to have a hand sharpener at the table, preferably a metal one. Dc can easily clean up their mess by twisting the shavings on to a paper towel and tossing it when work is done. (Electric sharpeners are not the best for keeping colored pencils nice anyway.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

smiley-chores043.gif

My kids prefer the Prismacolor colored pencils. They won't use crayons (even the 4 year old). Recently, I need to replace our Prismacolors (they are 11 years old) and I purchased the scholar's. They don't like them. The good quality Prismacolors are great.

If I were to use crayons I'd buy the beeswax crayons. We had some but my children prefer the Prismacolors.

Thnaks for all the replies. After reading all the comments here, I felt once I get them color pencils, they will not use crayons. One of my girls is crazy about using a sharperner. Unfortunately the color pencils prices (nicer ones) does not fit my this year's school budget. Maybe next year.

After much dilly-dallying I got both my girls each twistable Crayola Crayons (24 colors). I also got them cheap color pencils from Office-Max & a set of Crayola twistable color pencils (30 colors) & a set of Crayola Water colors.

What do your 7 yr olds use Colored Pencils or Crayons for their everyday artwork in Journals, Lapbooks etc?

Will allowing them to use colored pencils cuase the nuisance of sharpening every few minutes?

Does the colored pencils have any advantage over crayons?

I let my children use either. Personally, I like the detail they can acheive with the color pencils. My girls like the speed of the crayons.;)