Menu

How in the world do people afford to send their children to school?

Seriously, I don't think the school district can "make" you buy anything. I know while my dh coached Little League the organization made a rule that parents "had to" work in the concession stand or get a replacement or their child would be benched for the next game. Of course my dh got stuck with the rebel who said not only would he not work but they would be hearing from his lawyer if his kid was benched. Nobody did anything in fact my dh volunteered to fill his spot because he is a bigger man than that guy ever will be.

I think the specific brands and pooling items is silly. I would like to think that if a teacher made a list of what is absolutely necessary and than asked for donations for class items needed there would be a better response. I wouldn't have a problem with buying stuff for the class. I don't think the teacher should have to pay for it but I have a hard time trying to figure out why schools cannot budget for some of this stuff. Our last school district vote was whether they should buy electronic white boards that showed videos and such. How necessary is that when there are kids in the district that do not even have the proper basic school supplies?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously' date=' I don't think the school district can "make" you buy anything. I know while my dh coached Little League the organization made a rule that parents "had to" work in the concession stand or get a replacement or their child would be benched for the next game. Of course my dh got stuck with the rebel who said not only would he not work but they would be hearing from his lawyer if his kid was benched. Nobody did anything in fact my dh volunteered to fill his spot because he is a bigger man than that guy ever will be.

I think the specific brands and pooling items is silly. I would like to think that if a teacher made a list of what is absolutely necessary and than asked for donations for class items needed there would be a better response. I wouldn't have a problem with buying stuff for the class. I don't think the teacher should have to pay for it but I have a hard time trying to figure out why schools cannot budget for some of this stuff. Our last school district vote was whether they should buy electronic white boards that showed videos and such. How necessary is that when there are kids in the district that do not even have the proper basic school supplies?[/quote']

When you consider that some parents would like their children to participate, but are unable to be there themselves or have other children to care for, it isn't fair to bench a kid.

When you consider that some parents would like their children to participate, but are unable to be there themselves or have other children to care for, it isn't fair to bench a kid.

I did not care for the policy but the person who organized it was prepared for that problem and had a whole list of people who where willing to fill in if they were notified. He would not even arrange that. Refused to call anyone or make any arrangement. For him it was a matter of principle and if I had to guess - CONTROL.

At this time of year you can go into any Target/ Wal-Mart/ Rite Aid, etc in the area and they have a huge wall of pockets where you go to locate the list specific to your district, school, grade & teacher. I mean there are stacks of paper in each pocket. Who pays for all of that paper, ink & printing? I have never seen a list that had fewer than 25 items on it and many of them are janitorial supplies like cleaning wipes and sponges. At our local elementary the janitorial staff was pared to one person and because that person is kept running around all day fixing emergencies the classes are expected to clean their classrooms everyday. Cleaning the common areas is assigned on a rotating basis. Classes are assigned days to clean bathrooms, the playground, the dining/ assembly hall and everything. Supposedly this is to give the students a greater appreciation for the school. Whatever. I just can't figure out where all our tax money goes. If the state spends $7K-$10K per student why can't they afford paper?

A friend of mine has a little one going into PS Kinder this year & she says they have 2 full day and one half day classes. Apparently the competition to get into the full day class & avoid the half day is pretty intense because everyone knows the more hours your child spends at school (cleaning the bathrooms) the better. The parents actually pay $250 a month, at a public school, to be in the full time program. According to the school the extra money is to pay the full time teacher more. If there are 25 kids in that class are you telling me that they are paying the full time teacher $6K more a month than the half day teacher? It is a total scam because the half day teacher teacher an AM kinder class and a PM kinder class, so she works full time too.

I am glad that I homeschool. It is so much cheaper. I think I am going to start telling people that is my reason, when they ask why I homeschool. I currently say it is because I am a religious fanatic. Now I am going to say because I am a frugal, religious fanatic.

Amber in SJ

Yeah ... I absolutely hate that. This was actually a good year for me. I managed to get my kid's school supplies ... 2 kids ... for about $150. Usually, when dd was in public school, for her alone it would go over $100.

I have to say that there are somethings on the list that really aggrevate me. I hate having to buy supplies for the teachers ... paper towels, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, dry erase markers. I just think that the school should pay for these things. And I hate that they request EVERYTHING at the begining of the school year. For example: My ds's Kindergarden teacher has requested 5 boxes of crayola 24-ct crayons. 5 boxes!? Wouldn't it be easier on me to request one at a time and then ask for supplementation through out the year? I would rather have bought 1 box at a time through out the school year instead of all at one time and now, because of that, I really have to cut back on groceries and other things we need for the rest of the month.

So, it really is cheaper to homeschool. I thought I was paying all kinds of $$ for curriclum, etc. but from supplies to clothes without holes in them, I'm really coming out ahead. I really wonder what they're spending our tax $$ on then, if it's not actually educating the children.

No kidding!

Last year my friend (whose kids are public schooled) had to buy two packages of red pens and four packages of white board markers for her daughter. Excuse me, but when did a fourth grader need 20 red pens and 12 teachers markers??!!?! I think it's ridiculous having to supply materials for the whole school.

I am SOOOOO glad that we now homeschool! We ps'd for 6 years, and I shared the original posters (TN) nightmare. I found that after purchasing everything on the different lists, that the teacher sent home a new, revised list the first day of school. Then we had extras to hunt all over town for. One teacher even required Glade air fresheners. Granted, she taught 5th grade, but couldn't she just send a note asking the parents to get their kids deodorant? All this was before they hit you up to buy school coupon books, class t-shirts, pictures, money for 'teacher appreciation day', etc. I may spend a lot on curriculum, but at least it is useful for teaching! What a blessing to be at home!

Seriously' date=' I don't think the school district can "make" you buy anything. I know while my dh coached Little League the organization made a rule that parents "had to" work in the concession stand or get a replacement or their child would be benched for the next game. Of course my dh got stuck with the rebel who said not only would he not work but they would be hearing from his lawyer if his kid was benched. Nobody did anything in fact my dh volunteered to fill his spot because he is a bigger man than that guy ever will be.

[/quote']

Honestly LL is one of my pet peeves too. I had to pay $250 for my son to join, I had to buy the entire uniform myself including personalized hats, jersey, and equipment bucket. I had to put in money for a pizza party and gift for the coach, had to buy team photos (well I guess I didnt have to buy those), and had to volunteer for at least two games, and bring snacks for the team twice. I don't understand what the $250 was for. When my son played TBall at the Y it was like $100, included a tshirt and hat and I didn't HAVE to volunteer for anything.

Honestly LL is one of my pet peeves too. I had to pay $250 for my son to join, I had to buy the entire uniform myself including personalized hats, jersey, and equipment bucket. I had to put in money for a pizza party and gift for the coach, had to buy team photos (well I guess I didnt have to buy those), and had to volunteer for at least two games, and bring snacks for the team twice. I don't understand what the $250 was for. When my son played TBall at the Y it was like $100, included a tshirt and hat and I didn't HAVE to volunteer for anything.

i hate that all the team snacks were junk food....nothing like juice box and cookies after sweating in the FL sun for 1.5 hours!:001_huh:

This is why we're NOT joining LL.

My son plays fall soccer...30 bucks for the whole season. Volunteering is optional. Fundraising is optional. Uniforms are purchased with the money raised and are pooled...you return them each year (you may also pay a deposit to keep your number or uniform for the next year, if you wish). We love it. It works the way it should...and the kids learn and have great fun...all for $30.

i hate that all the team snacks were junk food....nothing like juice box and cookies after sweating in the FL sun for 1.5 hours!:001_huh:

For some reason, they don't do snacks like that around here. We all bring our own for our kids (I'll admit to being the mom that brings juice boxes and cookies for my own kid...).

When dd & ds#1 were in PS we were required to pay photocopy fee ($10/dc), stationary fee or buy the items on the list (~$25/dc), & the school "donation" (~$50/dc). Our primary school did not have uniforms at that time, but does now, so I would need to add that cost. Ds#2 was in kindy & we were required to pay $75/term kindy "donation" + be available to work as a teacher's helper 2 sessions / term. Intermediate School & HighSchool costs are much higher, but no where as high as what you all have listed on this thread. And we were asked to label all our dc's school supplies. What wasn't used, was sent home at the end of the year. When I began HS/ing, we were eligible to recieve a small "supervisory allowance" from the gov't. This allowance works out to NZ$948 every June & December for my family of 3dc. We do not need to account to anyone for how we choose to spend this $. This year I've chose to put the $ toward ACER netbooks for dd & ds#1. Other years I've used the $ for a SL core or other curriculum.

HS/ing has meant we aren't asked to fund-raise for the PS every other week. The constant fundraising really did get annoying.

JMHO,

I am not sure what the laws are in other states but in Michigan you cannot force a child to bring supplies to school...request? yes. require? no. By law, the school has to provide the supplies.

The school I am currently the principal of supplies everything for the kids but it is a private school so it is factored into the tuition I am sure. :D

I think the long lists are ridiculous too. As a former teacher, I do get asking for specific types of things...when you have a classroom full of children, it is easier to manage the horde and help them get organized when the children have similar items. For example, using a specific type of notebook enables the teacher to help the children get organized without having to figure out an individual "system" for each child. Prohibiting certain items also helps avoid discipline problems.

That said, it shouldn't matter if you buy Rose Art crayons instead of Crayola, or one brand of scissors over another, providing they are age appropriate. Of course, a higher level art teacher might want you to buy the artist quality materials instead.

Of course, when I taught (in a private school) we asked for a much shorter list and the children kept their own supplies. Our supply list was really more an attempt to LIMIT the over enthusiastic parent from sending in unnecessary and distracting toys and gadgets! I think if a communal box of supplies is going to be maintained, you should just ask for $15 from each parent and just buy the supplies for the classroom. This would allow the teacher to buy what she is really going to use, and to carefully budget needs verses wants. Otherwise, if you have students who truly can't afford supplies, why not ask the parents nicely for donations, rather than trying to "sneak" donations out of them by asking for an artificially inflated supply list?

As a former teacher I did often go into my own pocket for supplies, but I never resented it...it was my "gift" to my class. That said, I often "made do" with what we had, and thought of creative alternatives to spending money on pricey supplies. I think that teachers today are sometimes losing that creativity with long supply lists that don't force them to think outside the supply list box!

As for the tennis balls...they are awesome. A quiet classroom is of benefit to all...although it seems to me that the school ought to supply those for all classrooms!

One more comment...the whole idea of ALL supplies becoming communal property really irritates me too. I don't mind pooiing the crayons or pencils, and I don't mind sending in a monetary donation to help round out the classroom supplies, but when I sent my children to a semester of public school, I bought them their preference of types of supplies from the list. At the end of the year, they came home with leftovers from an entirely different type and brand. What is wrong with a child choosing their own color scissors and ruler? I think we have gone too far in trying to make it "fair" to other children. The end result is that the bigger, bolder children pick and choose the best materials, while the more shy and retiring child gets the paltry leftovers. And what if I bought a poly folder for daily homework since I know it is more durable, and my child comes home with paper folders that are dog-eared in two weeks time? It was annoying, to say the least!

I am glad I homeschool.

Susu

This must greatly vary from district to district. We don't find public school to be particularly expensive, except for school lunches which are ridiculously overpriced considering their low quality.

We live in a solidly middle class community, so no extensive lists or requests for fancy supplies in our local elementary. I don't think we spent more than $50 on supplies for our two dds when they went to ps last year. We ignored fund raisers. Our dds wore cute, stylish clothing from thrift and discount stores. My older dd had a classmate who wore the same jeans week after week, and no one teased her.

Here's what my dd's teacher posted on her class website:

Fourth Grade Supply List

5 Pencils (#2 lead – no mechanical pencils)

2 Red Grading Pens

1 Box of 48 Crayons

1 Bottle of White Elmer’s All-Purpose Glue

1 Glue Stick

4 Yellow Highlighters

1 Scissors (no plastic scissors)

1 Pack Notebook Paper – wide ruled (not college ruled)

2 Erasers

1 Zipper case for school supplies – no school boxes

1 12†Ruler (with inches & centimeters)

8 Mead Folders with clasps and pockets (2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 blue, & 1 orange ) – no trapper keepers or hard notebooks

2 Large Boxes of Kleenex

1 Paint Shirt (to be kept at school – please put their name on it)

1 Pair of Gym Shoes (to be kept at school – please put their name on it)

1 Set of Flash Cards for Division and Multiplication

3 Book Covers - cloth

Please mark your child’s name on all their supplies!

Please no Trapper Keepers or Hard Binders"

I hate to rant, but today I have to pay my dd's school fees. $120!!! Student activity fees, lab fees, choir fees, blah blah blah (have to find the line item bill before I go in.) This is not happy news.....

OK, now my rant seems silly. . .but I'll post it anyway.

I just found out one of the local Elementary schools (K-5) has each child pay a fee for school supplies. It's $35 PER CHILD! I know others have said their schools do this too, but I am totally against this high of a fee. I spent $30 on 2 children AND bought extras because the prices are so good right now! The wasteful spending has gotten ridiculous in our Public Schools!

:rant:

Dorinda

WOW!!! Here in my city, we paid $200 for all three of ours to play. That included uniform and a $2 ticket for the concession stand after each game. There were healthy options to choose from.

Dh and I are the concession stand managers this year. It has absolutely amazed me how hard it is to find volunteers! We need 4 - 6 parents from each team to volunteer at the concession stand for one 3 hour shift to have it completely covered for the year. That's fewer than half the parents! And yet we heard from a LOT of them complaining. It's sad, really!

I guess I should not complain about Little League since ours cost only $25 per kid. They do reuse uniforms but the T-Ball kids get to keep their T-Shirts. They do pay the umpires a small amount for each game and the school allows the use of the ball fields. I cannot believe how high some of those fees are, we would have to stick with backyard baseball in that case.

I just signed my youngest up for Pre-K with the PS and the only money they need is $3 towards a little scrapbook they make. Ds also needs a backpack, which he already has. I am a little nervous because he is the first of my children to get on the big yellow bus.

The reason why the list is so long and so specific is that over half the kids don't show up with anything! In our local district, most of the parents have figured out that someone else will pay for supplies for their kid, leaving the moms that DO supply with a chance for their kids to experience socialism.

With this definition how are public schools not socialist? Do I pay taxes? Yes. Do I receive any benefits from the public schools? No. According to your definition they are already experiencing socialism.

WOW!!! Here in my city, we paid $200 for all three of ours to play. That included uniform and a $2 ticket for the concession stand after each game. There were healthy options to choose from.

Dh and I are the concession stand managers this year. It has absolutely amazed me how hard it is to find volunteers! We need 4 - 6 parents from each team to volunteer at the concession stand for one 3 hour shift to have it completely covered for the year. That's fewer than half the parents! And yet we heard from a LOT of them complaining. It's sad, really!

I would be more than happy to volunteer multiple times if all my kids could play for that price w/ uniforms. Like I said $250 for my one son, it goes up in price the higher they are in the league and it includes NOTHING but the equipment they bring and the coaches. I think they give a very small percentage off your total if you sign up more than one kid.

Um, exactly. Public schools are socialistic.

It sounded to me as if the OPer was implying the kids were only experiencing "socialism" when everything was expected to be the same or everything was dumped in a bin and parceled out later, etc. The poster to whom I replied didn't seem to think the public school system was inherently socialistic to begin with.

It sounded to me as if the OPer was implying the kids were only experiencing "socialism" when everything was expected to be the same or everything was dumped in a bin and parceled out later, etc. The poster to whom I replied didn't seem to think the public school system was inherently socialistic to begin with.

Oh no, I wasn't making any comment at all regarding socialism just b*tching about cost but now that you have mentioned it, let's just say that I tend to agree with your stated POV.

Oh no, I wasn't making any comment at all regarding socialism just b*tching about cost but now that you have mentioned it, let's just say that I tend to agree with your stated POV.

Sorry, by OPer in that case I meant the poster to whom I was replying, not the thread starter. :)

I am not sure what the laws are in other states but in Michigan you cannot force a child to bring supplies to school...request? yes. require? no. By law, the school has to provide the supplies.

The school I am currently the principal of supplies everything for the kids but it is a private school so it is factored into the tuition I am sure. :D

I received a letter home from the elementary school yesterday:

June 15, 2009

Dear families of Williamson County students:

Student fees for certain supplies needed for instruction in our schools have been approved by the Williamson County Board of Education. This funding provides items that are necessary to make your students’ learning experiences the best that they can be.

You do need to know, however, that the Tennessee Law regarding school fees states the following: “The school shall not require any student to pay a fee to the school for any purpose, except as authorized by the board of education, and no fees shall be required of any student as a condition to attending the public school, or using its equipment while receiving educational training.â€

We appreciate the additional monetary support from all of our families. We hope that you will see the benefit in being partners with the schools in this effort.

Sincerely,

David Heath, Ed.D.

Interim Superintendent

There was another piece of paper called the "Request for Waiver of School Fees" which stated that you needed to fill out that form and actively request a waiver of fees. It goes on to further state that you would be required to release information showing that are applying for free or reduced benefits under The National School Lunch Program. School officials will verify your information and you waive your rights to confidentiality.

Nothing in this letter is in accordance with state law. They are trying to make it seem as if you can only get out of paying the fees if you are low income which is not true. You can simply choose not to pay the fees and you do not need to request a waiver to do so.

I personally have no problem paying the fees but nowhere in any of the paperwork does it actually tell me how much the fees are or how to go about paying them. I will have to make a trip to the school to do this because on orientation night, the school was not open. There was a list that told you who your child's teacher would be and then they each had a table in front of the school where you could meet them. That was it.

I was agreeing with you. ;)

I've always found this odd in US schools. In the UK (when I was small) the school provided pencils and things in the first couple of years. After that, you just had your own pencil case with your own items in it - nothing was handed in to the teacher. The school provided exercise books, etc.

Laura

That's how it was in the US when I was in school, also.

My kids went to school for a semester.The schools didn't have a lot of fees. They had to pay for their field trips. We did get a supplies list (it was mid-year) but I didn't buy everything and some of the stuff I bought wasn't even used.

We had some run ins with kids and a few staff members. The biggest thing I found negative about school was I NEVER SAW MY KIDS! They'd get home from school, I'd schlepp them to afterschool activities, they'd have homework, dinner and it would be bedtime. When do parents that work, have public schooled kids, especially ones with kids in activities actually RAISE their children?

That's how it was in the US when I was in school, also.

My kids went to school for a semester.The schools didn't have a lot of fees. They had to pay for their field trips. We did get a supplies list (it was mid-year) but I didn't buy everything and some of the stuff I bought wasn't even used.

We had some run ins with kids and a few staff members. The biggest thing I found negative about school was I NEVER SAW MY KIDS! They'd get home from school, I'd schlepp them to afterschool activities, they'd have homework, dinner and it would be bedtime. When do parents that work, have public schooled kids, especially ones with kids in activities actually RAISE their children?

I have absolutely no idea. I do know that the kids in our neighbourhood get home rather late and START playing at dusk.