Menu

my son broke my heart tonight

We were going to the store so he could pick out a new MP3 player for his birthday tomorrow. He's my quiet kid who isn't as open about feely type things but overly gregarious other times. He was saying how the past few years have been very, very hard and he hopes that nothing happens this coming year. I told him that I hoped for the same, too, but with both my parents gone, what could happen? (honestly, not the brightest thing to say - ANYTHING can happen at any age!)

He then proceeded to say that things have never been the same since we adopted. He said that his life, and our family life, was so much happier before we ever brought our a-daughter home. He's right. I could have never guessed it would be so awful, we'd get such a screwed up kid at 14 months of age.

I told him I was going to try to get help for her, and for us, and I'm hoping there's someone out there. Most places don't take insurance and with a kid going off to college next year we won't be able to drain our sources on something that may or may not help.

My heart has been heavy tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to bless his socks off him for his birthday.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how tough it was/is for you to hear him say those things. What seems difficult now will probably be a blessing later - for all of you. I hope you and your family are able to find peace with all the changes you're a-daughter has brought to your lives.

I think you'll have a real friend in him when he's all grown up.

And I want to echo the other poster who said to really value the honesty; how wonderful that he feels comfortable sharing such a heartache with you.

I know it's painful now...but I think there is a lot of good you're able to see because of it.

Praying for you guys that things get easier...:grouphug:

I feel the same way and hope I can raise my boys to tell me honestly how they feel without fear. Although his words hurt you, perhaps you all can grow and learn how to better handle your dd. Is there a non-profit you can turn to to help with funding for treatment? I wouldn't know where to start looking but it may be worth some time digging around to see if there is an organization that helps with attachment disorders (right?).

She said that she wished we'd never adopted her sister. (We finally had to dissolve the adotion, after five years with us, when she became violent and had breaks with reality last year.)

On the other hand, she ADORES her brother (who was adopted at the same time as his very disturbed sister). So, while it's hard to hear, it's normal to feel that way. Kudos to him for expressing his frustration/sadness/anger at living with a kid with RAD. They're VERY hard to love. I know it was hard to hear, but I agree with the others: it's great that he *can* tell you.

If you'd like to let your son email/Facebook my dd (16), so that he can write a friend who "gets it," please let me know.

Lisa

mom of Kaley 16-bio and Daniel 10-India

Edited by Lisa in Jax
increased clarity

This reminds me of a segment I heard once on NPR's program "This American Life." I don't know if it would help or be interesting for you to listen to, but here it is:

Act One. Love Is a Battlefield.

Alix Spiegel tells the story of a couple, Heidi and Rick Solomon, who adopt a son who was raised in terrible circumstances in a Romanian orphanage, unable to feel attachments to anyone...and what they do about it. (27 minutes)

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1204

I remember reading one of your posts a while back about how difficult it has been since you adopted.

If it means anything, our third dd rocked our world. I don't recall all the details with your littlest one and the severity of it, but our youngest - who didn't stop crying day in and day out for over a year - is a lovely 5 year old today. There was a day that none of us (her parents, grandparents, siblings, Sunday school teachers, or my girlfriends) thought we'd see the day, but there is hope :grouphug:

She said that she wished we'd never adopted her sister. (We finally had to dissolve the adotion, after five years with us, when she became violent and had breaks with reality last year.)

On the other hand, she ADORES her brother (who was adopted at the same time as his very disturbed sister). So, while it's hard to hear, it's normal to feel that way. Kudo to him for expressing his frustration/sadness/anger at living with a kid with RAD. They're VERY hard to love. I know it was hard to hear, but I agree with the others: it's great that he *can* tell you.

If you'd like to let your son email/Facebook my dd (16), so that he can write a friend who "gets it," please let me know.

Lisa

mom of Kaley 16-bio and Daniel 10-India

Thanks so much, Lisa, for the Facebook offer. I will mention it to both my boys.

May I ask you to please PM me about your adoption disruption? I hope it never comes to that but it's not good with her here and I've been doing some online searching.

I want everyone to know that I absolutely am grateful for my son's honesty. We've always been open and honest, my kids and dh and I, but my a-daughter has never been a part of that. She constastantly tries to destroy any step forward we make. My other kids KNOW they can speak to me honestly and I cherish those talks. We spent the day floating on the lake on kayaks today. My son whose birthday was celebrated just wanted to float and talk. It was wonderful. We were all of one accord, and then there was her. She won't even try. I can't help her on my own anymore, but I am not willing to spend money out of pocket (we used to pay $120 per week) for her because ultimately unless SHE CHOOSES to change and accept us, nothing will help.

The outside world views her as the most angelic child on the face of the earth. I know how bad she is. She's been with us for 5 years now and has never ONCE showed anger in front of me and has only cried a hanful of times, most of those not genuine tears. It's these types I hear that are the hardest to reach. Yet she'll destroy the house, hurt the animals and try to do wors ewith them, sabotage my relationship with her, seek out affections from strangers, etc. I'm SO tired of it all.

And my bio daughter will be heartbroken if we dissolve, yet unless God, a miracle or professional help turns things around, there's no other way. She's angelic on the outside, dangerous within. I fear one day of what she will become.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh.

My son is ending his night with a movie I simply can't watch. Dh and other sh are happy. ;) He had a very good birthday, and even my a-daughter joined in on the end. The very end.

I, too, think it's great that your son feels comfortable enough to open up to you. I also think it is important to realizet that birth children can also disrupt a family. In a mighty way. Birth children can have incredible emotional/pshycological issues, bi-polar, etc. And the physical. With adoption, you can pick whether or not they have phyuscial disabilities (as much as can be told at 6-12 mos, anyway!) but birth chidlren can have incredible physical issues.

All that is not said to negate your feelings. I have an adopted daughter who has relatively mild RAD, and ther eare days I question my decision. The sad thing for her is, it's all subconscious right now. Which I find totally bizarre and beyond my comprehension. But there's definitely a dislike/trust for me.

This reminds me of a segment I heard once on NPR's program "This American Life." I don't know if it would help or be interesting for you to listen to, but here it is:

Act One. Love Is a Battlefield.

Alix Spiegel tells the story of a couple, Heidi and Rick Solomon, who adopt a son who was raised in terrible circumstances in a Romanian orphanage, unable to feel attachments to anyone...and what they do about it.

Thank you for posting this. I had heard part of it and it was good to listen to it again.