Menu

Tell me again why I do or do not want to watch other children why homeschooling

My ds would love this! It's one of his friends who would be involved.

Every other Monday 8:15-2:30: $60/day

H would drop N (10) off at about 8:15 after he takes C (7) and L (5) to CCS. He would have some school work to do for part of the day and then could play. I'd need you to pick L (5) up from school at 12:15 pm and then give them lunch. I would pick them up at 2:30 pm.

Every other Friday 1:15-5:30: $40/day

I would drop N (10) and L (5) off at 1:15. I would need you to pick C (7) up from CCS around 2:45 and probably give them all a snack in the afternoon. H would pick them up by 5:30.

The Mondays and Fridays would be in the same week, then a week off, etc.

N has had school issues (for one thing he will sit there and simply not do his work!), is very lightly special needs and will homeschool for the first time this fall. So I'd be his teacher on Mondays. L is in 1/2 day K at the private school my kids went to when they were in a B&M school. So is C for that matter. Back to the carpool line. :001_huh: H is the husband.

This is a family we've been friends with- it's kind of an on again off again thing.

So what would you do? Getting work out of either boy may be an issue.

I probably wouldn't do it unless I was resigned to accepting that on those Mon and Fri very little homeschooling was going to take place. It could be uncomfortable for you to enforce rules for a child that has already displayed problems in that area and that might make for a strained relationship with the parents. If you were flexible and could make that Mon and Fri a relaxed homeschool day (crafts, labs etc) that might work better. Just be clear with yourself as to what you want to accomplish for your own children and see if this arrangement is really helpful or not. :)

I probably wouldn't do it unless I was resigned to accepting that on those Mon and Fri very little homeschooling was going to take place. It could be uncomfortable for you to enforce rules for a child that has already displayed problems in that area and that might make for a strained relationship with the parents. If you were flexible and could make that Mon and Fri a relaxed homeschool day (crafts, labs etc) that might work better. Just be clear with yourself as to what you want to accomplish for your own children and see if this arrangement is really helpful or not. :)

:iagree

and would like to add that illness is also an issue. Kids in ps bring home all kinds of illnesses, and your family will be exposed to more, and get sick more. The other side of this, is are you going to want the other kid there if you are sick or have a sick kid to take care of.

What will you do if you plan a vacation, have appointments that aren't flexible, or need to do errands. Are the parents okay with you needing a replacement on occasion? Will they provide one or will they expect you to find someone?

Do the parents have educational expectations? Are they expecting you to teach the child or to do homework with him?

If you're anything like me, you don't want to do it because it throws off your entire routine.

I am watching my sister's children two days each week this summer and while we're having a great time, nothing is getting done.

I can't 'make' my niece and nephew do school work. They would rather play, which is distracting to Hunter (Jeffrey had done a fine job of keeping himself motivated and working through the noise and mess).

Breakfast and lunch are a bigger ordeal than we're used to.

Messes made by three take longer to clean up than messes made by one...and so on.

I am so glad these cousins are getting to spend so much time together this summer, but I could not, would not do this during the school year.

Do you need the money? If so, I think you could work around it, since it's every other week, not weekly. The other questions asked are good---what about vacations and sick days for you guys? What are their schooling "requirements" for you? If you do this, I'd have them and you sign a paper saying what their expectations are of what you'll do and not do, so everyone is on the same page!

If you don't need the money, I think I'd pass, as it can be rather disrupting, as others have said!

I would worry my children would just want to play with the other children instead of schooling and that we wouldn't get enough school done. I also wouldn't want to have to stop what we were doing to pick up the other kids, especially for what I think is less money than the other family would be paying a daycare. Your gas and food cost something, not to mention your time! I would also worry about discipline issues, transition issues for a child not used to homeschooling, and how to deal with the expectations of the other parent for school and daycare. OK, so I am just a worrier, but it would be too much aggravation if I didn't really need the money.

You would limit your ability to take off early on Fridays for field trips or family getaways.

Also, I find that arrangements like this tend to put a certain stress on the friendship, are you willing for there to be uncomfortable moments/situations between you? What if the student refuses to do his school work, how will you handle that?

I don't think I'd want to commit to this, unless of course this is an answer to prayers about truly needing more income.

If your kids like to play together, just be more proactive about arranging play dates for them. These days would be like play dates with baggage.

Well, I'm doing it.

I had a home daycare before we made the decision to homeschool and I hated it. Chaos all the time and I could. not. leave. home.

Over time it has transitioned into losing a few kids here and there and now I am down to 2 boys that I used to watch 2 full days a week. That was pretty doable during the school year but I do agree that you can't expect much, if any, school to get done. They are not your children, will not listen in the same way, and will be a distraction to your own children.

OTOH, you can look at it as an opportunity to minister to and help a family that needs it, and as a chance to make some money. That's the way I look at it. It's like a built-in playdate for my son, I enjoy the children too, and it helps their family because they need the flexibility that I can offer.

As to appointments and illness: I do not schedule appointments on the days they are here. If one comes up that I can't control and reschedule, then they have to understand and make other arrangements. Honestly that issue doesn't come up because I simply don't schedule other things on the days they are here. Rarely do my kids get sick because of their kids, and they are good to keep them home if they are sick. I honestly think most of what we pick up comes from the snotty noses at the library and grocery store, rather than the children who come into my home.

As far as the money goes, you really can't compare it to regular daycare. Typically home care is less because people can charge less since they are home with their own kids. Home care should be MORE because you have smaller caregiver/child ratio, increased flexibility, higher comfort level for the child (home vs center environment, etc). What I have found is that aside from this family that I work with, most families want to scrimp and save and get away with paying as little as possible. Sometimes it's a true financial hardship, but often times not. People would rather spend their money on the boat payment or eating out than quality care for their children.

I charge $40/day per child, BUT they are here from 8am to 6pm. Usually they eat breakfast/lunch/2 snacks while here. So $60 for less than a full day is not bad, really. And sitting in car pool is not that big of a deal. I used to like that time for making a phone call or two, or reading a magazine.

I personally don't think it sounds like a bad gig so long as you keep your expectations reasonable. Think of it like playdates. The house gets messier, there's more noise, school most likely won't get done - or very little, but the kids will have fun and you can do some really creative projects to enhance all their lives.

It could be a very positive thing for your family!

Meant to add that the going rate in my area is about $25/day for a full day. you can certainly expect a little more for having to pick them up from school, but usually siblings come with a discount. I have heard of many home child care providers in my area who will watch 2 siblings for $40/day and that's ALL day.

My ds would love this! It's one of his friends who would be involved.

N has had school issues (for one thing he will sit there and simply not do his work!), is very lightly special needs and will homeschool for the first time this fall. So I'd be his teacher on Mondays. L is in 1/2 day K at the private school my kids went to when they were in a B&M school. So is C for that matter. Back to the carpool line. :001_huh: H is the husband.

This is a family we've been friends with- it's kind of an on again off again thing.

So what would you do? Getting work out of either boy may be an issue.

I think it could work. I am babysitting another little girl this summer, three days a week, and so far it has been great. The extra money has been good for me, my kids love having her here, her parents are thrilled that she's not in daycare, and everyone gets along well. We aren't trying to do schoolwork, though, so that is different than your situation. I'd still try it, though. You may just have to be creative in getting them to do their work. You could break up their seatwork with reading aloud, watching educational videos, getting some exercise outside, doing some crafts or hands-on activities.

I do childcare in my home, but I won't provide transportation to/from school. So this pickup/drop off stuff wouldn't work for me. It just interrupts the flow of our day.

Meant to add that the going rate in my area is about $25/day for a full day. you can certainly expect a little more for having to pick them up from school, but usually siblings come with a discount. I have heard of many home child care providers in my area who will watch 2 siblings for $40/day and that's ALL day.

Wow. That's cheap. I charge $50/day for a full day, and except for one family, I won't take kids for a full week. I mostly do part time.

Edited by phathui5

I say give it a try. I have done childcare while homeschooling and it has advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes it is hard to school with another child and all their interruptions coming in, especially if they aren't there regularly enough to fit into your routine without reminders.

My questions include:

Who is back-up on days they come and then get sick? Do they have grandparents or aunts or someone who will come right away. I hate keeping children all day that are sick and parents that just keep putting off coming and getting them.

If they leave early, is your pay going to be the same or deducted for that time? What if they are late - will they pay extra?

Do you have enough space and car seats for your car to haul everyone everywhere?

How do they expect you to discipline their child?

I would also expect the 10 yo to have more school work to last more of the day.

...is the part about having to pick up the other children. That would take the situation from being a little annoying but maybe worth it for the money to being intolerable. To have to wind down all those kids at once, get them all into the car, go and pick up one, and then get them all going again once I got home, would be too much of a disruption.

If I did it, I would be extremely strict upfront about illness--NONE! No sniffles, no fever, no nothing. If it happens even once, that's the end of the relationship.

And I would also be very clear that as I'm being paid at daycare rates, I will sometimes set up a group project for all the kids to do instead of having the son work on the homeword that he brings along. Then I would try to leverage the situation to involve the kids in history games or imaginative play activities or science experiments that actually benefit from working in a group. I might even try some group poetry writing, progressive stories, or Junior Great Books. I would really try hard to make this a benefit to my own children in that way.

If you need the money (and most of us do in this economy) an extra $200 a month is nothing to sneeze at. What would concern me more is that its friends. I find more issues in working for friends than strangers in the past. Strangers you can take a hard line with payment. I always demanded at least 1 wk deposit (usually 2) when doing daycare. Friends for some reason don't tend to take paying for their childcare as seriously as strangers do. Plus, it brings a weird dynamic into the friendship when one's an employer, the other employee.

I'd honestly be more likely to consider it if they weren't friends...but as I said, money is money, and most families need more of it. I'd do it, but with a formal contract outlining everything, and a deposit.

I would do it for two days a week every other week if you need the money. I watch two kids (a 3yo and a 1yo) all day every day. It's a lot, and I am trying to figure out how to not have to do it next year. I super-scheduled this year since last year didn't go as well school wise. I also gave my older two *a lot* of self directed work this year. Last year, my daily fee (averaged) was $39/day. This year I am charging a daily fee (averaged) of $43/day so that I could afford more workbook-based curriculum and more schoolish type things for the 3yo to do with us. I provide lunch and two snacks every day and take the kids with us to the library and park once a week and to most homeschool group events.

Make sure you work-out in advance what happens on sick days. What do you do when *you* or *your* kids are sick in addition to her kids?

Also, how are you going to handle discipline issues or picky eating?

If you maintain communication and know what to expect from each other, it can work-out fine.