Menu

Don't put too much info on the internet!

I just hope that you don't come and get me in my sleep now :)

Honestly, there are SO many people with my real name - it's so very common - that I doubt anyone could truly find me unless they were stalker material. In our small town there are three of us with the same name. Someone would have to be die-hard sick to do that much work.

What possessed you to google me anyway? To see if I was a real-live person or just for the heck of it?

I have your home address from about 5 minutes of googling. I just wanted to see if I could do it; I'm not a sicko or coming to get you. :D From where I found it listed, I think we have a lot in common in our religious beliefs. ;)

It would be very easy to get my real name and then my contact information, and to find out where I'll be when, from listings of on my church site or speaking events. I'm okay with that. If you're not, you might want to make some changes.

There was a story yesterday about what kind of information you leave on your twitter or facebook. "Vacation tweets" have gotten popular, but since anyone can subscribe to your twitter, unless you have it set to private, then be careful to let people know about your trip after you've arrived back home, not while you're gone.

You wouldn't leave a message on your home phone saying "I'm gone for two weeks, shall return..." so you shouldn't announce your departure on twitter either.

Just fyi.

Sorry... I've been busy teaching Vacation Bible School and not checking threads... my short answer is Sure! Why don't we start a group? I've talked to the people at Cokesbury (the Methodist publishing house) several times about the need for a Methodist homeschool bible curriculum. We could put our heads together about that! Pm me or email me and I'll start a yahoo group---but not until tomorrow. I'm swamped today! (I'm running the "bible bayou" in VBS... get it... swamped? )

But with FB if the settings are such that only friends can see your info, it is still private.

There are a number of online tools (good or bad, depending on perspective), and FB can help. Most people are listed in the FB directory for anyone to see, as are their Friends, even if they keep the rest of their info private. Through Friends, you can confiming someone's maiden or married name. Lots of people have their current or former city listed as their network, which can perhaps give too much info out there too.

And anyone, try running your own name through www.veromi.net just to see what FREE info is out there. If I run my name, it shows my maiden name, my age, my dh's name and age, and my FIL's--who is dead and never lived with us. It also shows every town I've lived in from the 1980s through now. Free to anyone with a connection... I know this is different than what the OP said, with board names. It can be quite unnerving.

But I'm not a stalker, really. :)

Could someone find you?

Of course they could ~ if for some reason they cared enough to do so. Just like someone could follow me home from the store, steal my credit card number at a restaurant, yada yada yada. People worry way too much about the wrong things ~ and tend to assume that others are more interested in them than they really are.;)

Of course they could ~ if for some reason they cared enough to do so. Just like someone could follow me home from the store, steal my credit card number at a restaurant, yada yada yada. People worry way too much about the wrong things ~ and tend to assume that others are more interested in them than they really are.;)

:iagree:

And anyone, try running your own name through www.veromi.net just to see what FREE info is out there. If I run my name, it shows my maiden name, my age, my dh's name and age, and my FIL's--who is dead and never lived with us. It also shows every town I've lived in from the 1980s through now. Free to anyone with a connection... I know this is different than what the OP said, with board names. It can be quite unnerving.

But I'm not a stalker, really. :)

I just put my info in and unless you put my birthdate every entry you get isn't me. If you use my birthday then you can find me although all the "Possible roommates" listed were never mine. Although it did list me as my own possible roommate in all 3 of the seperate entries it has for me under my name and birthday. I guess I find myself to be good company :)

Edited by nukeswife

without using google. They can use your ip addy. Everything you post logs it, there is no such thing as being anonymous on the internet. I do agree it is wise to be careful. My husband post everything so I gave up :-)

Kari

I've come to feel that it is important to use your real name in internet discussions. So I've become more careful about what I post--because it is public. When I google my name I get many Amazon reviews I've written and a bunch of my blog stuff and even some links to my church (where I am a volunteer catechist) but nothing that I feel is "too much information."

I've come to feel that it is important to use your real name in internet discussions. So I've become more careful about what I post--because it is public. When I google my name I get many Amazon reviews I've written and a bunch of my blog stuff and even some links to my church (where I am a volunteer catechist) but nothing that I feel is "too much information."

What it boils down to, in online communcation as in all communication ~ is that if you don't want to own your words, if you aren't willing to be responsible for what you say, where you interact, etc, well...don't say it. Don't go there. Because like it or not, life is not an anonymous adventure. It just isn't. And that's okay. Really. Because the vast majority of people in this world just aren't that interested in you. And the handful that are interested are just that: interested. Big deal. The guy who picks up your trash every weeks knows a whole heckuvva lot more about you ~ and has far more convenient access ~ than the "x" number of people online with whom you interact. And one can assume those who are fretful about their online identities aren't hiding from the garbage man.:tongue_smilie:

life is not an anonymous adventure. It just isn't. And that's okay. Really. Because the vast majority of people in this world just aren't that interested in you. And the handful that are interested are just that: interested. Big deal.

These are real words of wisdom.

It's a very, very rare lunatic whose interest in you is dangerous, and ordinary efforts at anonymity will not protect you from these very rare disordered individuals. They are either criminal, seriously disturbed, or both. To counter these rare dangerous individuals, you need follow professional advice and establish a physical and financial "firewall" against their aberrant behavior.

These people are rare. You don't have to live in fear of them. There are concrete steps you can take to thwart them. After you take these steps you can relax and enjoy your interactions with other people.

Even after experiencing an encounter with one of this world's rare bad apples, I choose transparency. I've never regretted it.

These people are rare. You don't have to live in fear of them. There are concrete steps you can take to thwart them. After you take these steps you can relax and enjoy your interactions with other people.

Even after experiencing an encounter with one of this world's rare bad apples, I choose transparency. I've never regretted it.

Makes sense. So what are these concrete steps?

1. You need to have a talk with your Credit Union, Bank and anyone else with whom you invest or have a credit account. They'll be able to tell you how to maximize your security against fraud and theft. If you're not satisfied that you're satisfactorily protected within their system, consider closing your accounts and going elsewhere. Close as many accounts as you can. If you don't use it very often, cut up the card and close the account with a letter informing the company that you want the account closed. Make sure they follow through.

2. You need a firewall on your home network, and good security programs loaded on every computer. Walk into any decent electronics warehouse, and you'll be able to leave with a good software solution. Be prepared to invest 80-120 dollars.

3. Have a personalized strategy to protect your personal safety. Make sure it's practical, includes home security, and realistically integrates your entire family into the plan.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/pyramid.html

Never, ever, worry about personal security. Do what you can do to be reasonably secure, then put any anxieties out of your mind. Being more secure will involve changing some of your habits, such as where you park your car, how you lock your doors and windows, how or if you travel through "fringe" areas, etc. These changes are not the same as being paranoid. Personal safety isn't something it's practical to worry about. Once you've taken care of what you can, and changed some of your habits, you will rarely have to think about personal security again.

The Gift of Fear is a very good book. It's about listening to your feelings. The brain works in funny ways. We process a lot of information unconsciously, and therefor we "know" things we can't always support with rational evidence. We respond emotionally to these things we "know", even though we may simultaneously tell ourselves "Don't be silly!"

We should listen to our emotions, because they're often right. Yesterday a neighbor asked me to allow my daughter to babysit her boyfriend's 7 YO on a regular basis. I felt a surge of unease, and started to plan how to say no. I was caught flat footed, and didn't come up with a very good excuse. Later, as I analyzed my unease, I realized I had valid concerns about the situation. They weren't concerns I could risk being open about without being offensive, but they were valid concerns nonetheless. Hopefully my reluctance won't hurt our relationship with this neighbor.