Menu

I guess it's my turn to ask, "Would you eat this?"

I made a cheeseburger casserole last night at 11:30 and forgot to put it away! The house temp. is about 76 and the contents of the casserole are (try not to gross out!) Bisquick, milk, cheese soup, water, ground beef, and cheddar cheese.

What do you think? Is it good or not?

Thanks,

Chelle

I'm sorry to add another vote to the no camp due to the meat and temp. :grouphug:

fwiw, In many cases of doubt.. I do allow myself or dh to eat things that I wouldn't give my kids. That casserole isn't one I'd try though. Now to admit my adventurous eating spirit...I did eat expired yogurt and cheese this week...but then again I was sick for three days too.:tongue_smilie: I'd definitely toss it, I'm getting queasy just thinking about it. Sorry..

I have Jewish friends who need to leave food out like that for Shabbos. It's not meat and cheese ;), but it's either meat or dairy.

My dh was born in southern Europe and they don't refrigerate everything as we do. I don't think any food left out could make him sick.

I routinely leave food out on the stove top as we have people coming and going all the time.

But we're like that. :D

Edited by LibraryLover

I made a cheeseburger casserole last night at 11:30 and forgot to put it away! The house temp. is about 76 and the contents of the casserole are (try not to gross out!) Bisquick, milk, cheese soup, water, ground beef, and cheddar cheese.

Thanks,

Chelle

I'd eat it.

I'm a freak about food borne illnesses. I would not eat that at all and would definitely not serve it to children. What if you had flies or anything land on it all night?! I wouldn't eat anything left out longer than maybe 2 hours max., probably less since I'm a freak.

I'm a freak about food borne illnesses. I would not eat that at all and would definitely not serve it to children. What if you had flies or anything land on it all night?! I wouldn't eat anything left out longer than maybe 2 hours max., probably less since I'm a freak.

:) I didn't read this post until after I posted, but I'm so glad I'm not alone in my freakish tendencies.:lol:

I'm sorry to add another vote to the no camp due to the meat and temp. :grouphug:

fwiw, In many cases of doubt.. I do allow myself or dh to eat things that I wouldn't give my kids. That casserole isn't one I'd try though. Now to admit my adventurous eating spirit...I did eat expired yogurt and cheese this week...but then again I was sick for three days too.:tongue_smilie: I'd definitely toss it, I'm getting queasy just thinking about it. Sorry..

Same here...dh and I might eat some things that I won't let the kids have. I think I have an iron stomach anyway.

Now, Tammy :)....about the yogurt....it's ok up to 7 days past the exp date. Beyond that, it really is bad for you. The bacteria.... Hope you feel better!

I would absolutely pitch it. Can you imagine the amount of bacteria that formed in that casserole overnight? :ack2:

I would never take a chance on eating it, especially because it has meat in it. You could get incredibly ill from it.

Cat

My solution to not wasting food items left out for a questionable period of time was to give it to the dog. Then one time I gave her some chicken casserole that had been left out several hours (not overnight), and she got violently ill and had trouble even standing up. Fortunately the dog pulled through, but that made me even more wary about serving things - to humans or canines - that had been out very long. With milk products and meat and being out overnight, I think I would play it safe and toss it.

Thanks... It was only two days passed the date and I'm feeling all better now, but I'm steering clear of anything expired for a while.

Same here...dh and I might eat some things that I won't let the kids have. I think I have an iron stomach anyway.

Now, Tammy :)....about the yogurt....it's ok up to 7 days past the exp date. Beyond that, it really is bad for you. The bacteria.... Hope you feel better!

Thanks,

Chelle

But our room temps are much lower. I don't think I'd eat this one.

Laura

Milk, meat and cheese, from a warm oven to a warm house....ewwwwww. Nope, not even a chance.

But I do know people who routinely leave out pizza and eat it the next day with out problem, so I guess it could be safe, but I am not willing to take a chance. The people I know who are of different cultures, and think nothing of leaving things out, have many more stomach illnesses than I think are typical in the average American. I know some people seem to get a tolerance built up in their guts for eating food like this, but if you don't typically do this, I wouldn't start now.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Well, I'm convinced. I shouldn't let my family eat the casserole. However, we do have some neighbors that have been giving us trouble lately. I offered it to them and they're coming over in a few minutes to get it. I hate to see good food go to waste.

Their kids have really been pestering our kids and making fun of them. They'll be getting their just rewards if they get sick.

ETA: The above bit of humor is courtesy of my dh. He's something else, huh? Amazingly, you all have convinced him NOT to eat the casserole. I didn't think he'd be deterred!

Chelle

Edited by Chelle in MO
Dorky dh

I'll be the evil devil's advocate, and say that I probably would have eaten it.

Eating meat that was 'left out all night' sounds nasty, but, if I understand you correctly, the casserole was cooked at 11.30 PM. Thus it was pretty much blazing hot, correct? Depending on what time you discovered it in the morning, it only sat out at room temp for a few hours.

We routinely leave our food sitting on the stove for a few hours (or several hours, or sometimes nearly all day). I'm thinking there's nothing magical about several hours over night as opposed to several hours during the day, but I'm old school ;).

My mom and aunts almost all cooked supper early in the morning, before it got too hot, and left it on the stove till evening. My bad habits can be blamed on them.

Chelle.....what are you doing making hamburger casseroles at almost midnight???? You and your DH are cracking me up! :D

Melissa, I have only one word for you...BASEBALL. It's the time of year when I do what I can, when I can! I had browned the hamburger a week or so ago, took it out to thaw a couple of days ago, and needed to use it up. I even had to run to Dierberg's to get the soup at 10:00. I can't get all my ducks in a row at once!

After all I went through to get it done, I REALLY wanted it to not go to waste! It'll be headed to FIL's dog now, I guess.

BTW, how was the Arch on Independence Day? Did you and the kids go w/your hubby? I was thinking of you when we were at the Mizzou football stadium watching the fireworks!

Chelle

I'll be the evil devil's advocate, and say that I probably would have eaten it.

Eating meat that was 'left out all night' sounds nasty, but, if I understand you correctly, the casserole was cooked at 11.30 PM. Thus it was pretty much blazing hot, correct? Depending on what time you discovered it in the morning, it only sat out at room temp for a few hours.

We routinely leave our food sitting on the stove for a few hours (or several hours, or sometimes nearly all day). I'm thinking there's nothing magical about several hours over night as opposed to several hours during the day, but I'm old school ;).

My mom and aunts almost all cooked supper early in the morning, before it got too hot, and left it on the stove till evening. My bad habits can be blamed on them.

I totally get your reasoning, katilac! I remember my mom leaving cooked meat out for hours and it being fine. If my dh had noticed it when he was in the kitchen at 5:00 A.M., I might have been even more inclined to eat it, but he has "selective vision", IYKWIM! He doesn't even see things like that most of the time!

I just need to stop cooking when I'm tired, but I'm not sure when that will be!

Chelle