Menu

How much would you tip in this situation?

I ordered take out at a Mexican restaurant last night. This is a restaurant where if you are eating in, you place your order at the counter and pay, then they bring your food out when it is ready. They call your name and you either go up and get your order or they will drop it off at your table. You go up and get refills at the counter. No one really comes to your table except maybe to drop off your order. For takeout, you simply place an order wait for your food and leave. I paid by credit card and did not leave a full 15 percent tip. In fact, if I paid in cash I probably wouldn't have thought to tip because there is no tip jar there and I would figure that I don't tip at McDonalds or other fast food type places which I consider this to be similar to. Anyway, one of the workers saw my tip and went on and on about how awful my tip was, etc., etc. Not directly to me but she knew I heard.

I've had people tell me that leaving a tip LESS THAN 50% is morally wrong.

And I've seen Europeans visiting the U.S. complain to the management about the required 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more. They don't tip that well in Europe.

I tend to agree. I'll tip within reason. For 15% the wait staff had better be doing their job.

But if they're just throwing my food at me - then no tip.

I've had people tell me that leaving a tip LESS THAN 50% is morally wrong.

And I've seen Europeans visiting the U.S. complain to the management about the required 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more. They don't tip that well in Europe.

I tend to agree. I'll tip within reason. For 15% the wait staff had better be doing their job.

But if they're just throwing my food at me - then no tip.

50 % is over the top.

But we don't live in Europe. Servers here are paid $2 something an hour and that covers their taxes. The tips are what they actually take home - and they're taxed on those too. And, in most full-service restaurants they're expected to share their tips with the bus boys at the very least. 20 % is the norm for a server who does a good job in a sit-down restaurant.

Sorry, this topic makes me a little edgy. Dh worked for years as a manager for Chili's. They could not keep people at their big touristy restaurant here in Orlando because the people from other countries did not tip. Servers in those countries might make a living wage, but they don't here. Have you ever worked as a server or cook or bartender?

In the OP's situation, 15% is fine (It sounds a lot like our local Tijuana Flats). Those folks are paid at least minimum wage, so they're not depending on your tip as a wage.

They could not keep people at their big touristy restaurant here in Orlando because the people from other countries did not tip.

That is too funny. My family talks about the vacation places we've been that have horrible service. Orlando always comes up from everyone.

Now, I know who to blame it on: Tourists from other countries!

That is too funny. My family talks about the vacation places we've been that have horrible service. Orlando always comes up from everyone.

Now, I know who to blame it on: Tourists from other countries!

ROFL :D Orlando sucks for many reasons and it's not all tourists from other countries. I was talking about one specific restaurant.

But, there are tons of other things to hate about Orlando - especially if you are visiting as a tourist.

But we don't live in Europe. Servers here are paid $2 something an hour and that covers their taxes. The tips are what they actually take home - and they're taxed on those too. And, in most full-service restaurants they're expected to share their tips with the bus boys at the very least. 20 % is the norm for a server who does a good job in a sit-down restaurant.

Sorry, this topic makes me a little edgy. Dh worked for years as a manager for Chili's. They could not keep people at their big touristy restaurant here in Orlando because the people from other countries did not tip. Servers in those countries might make a living wage, but they don't here. Have you ever worked as a server or cook or bartender?

In the OP's situation, 15% is fine (It sounds a lot like our local Tijuana Flats). Those folks are paid at least minimum wage, so they're not depending on your tip as a wage.

Your post is a bit contradictory. First, I don't consider 20% to be the norm for tipping in restaurants. I consider the norm to be 15%, I give 20% or sometimes a bit more for good service. For average service they get 15%. For poor service they will get 10%. For exceptionally poor service I will leave no tip at all (this has happened maybe 3 times, ever). Once our waiter never checked on us and a *different* waiter brought us extra drinks, our food, etc. I hunted *that* waiter down and tipped him in cash instead of leaving the tip on the check. In cases where servers make less than minimum wage the IRS requires employers to report tips and if tips fall below 8% then the employer has to make up the difference to the employee. That means the IRS considers 8% to the the average tip. The vast majority of counter service restaurants pay their employees at least minimum wage. There's no reasonable expectation of receiving a 15 or 20% gratuity for bringing someone their order. I would think a dollar or two at the most.

Your post is a bit contradictory. First, I don't consider 20% to be the norm for tipping in restaurants. I consider the norm to be 15%, I give 20% or sometimes a bit more for good service. For average service they get 15%. For poor service they will get 10%.

Yep, same here. (And I've worked both part- and full-time as a server at a "fine dining" establishment.)

I don't tip for takeout. I was surprised when tip jars first appeared at some takeout establishments. No service = no tip.

If I eat-in at at a restaurant, but pick up the food at the counter, clear my table when I leave, and in essence wait on myself, I don't leave a tip then either.

If I am served by a waiter or waitress, I leave 10% for barely adequate service, 15% for good service, and at least 20% for great service.

Amy, at at sit-down type restaurant like Chili's, IHOP, or Outback Steakhouse, I'd agree.

But at places like Subway or McDonalds? Really? You would tip 15% there? How?

The restaurant in the OP sounds like a Culvers or a Schlotzkey's Deli type of a restaurant. You order, they tell you your number. You get your drink and find a table while they fix your order. When your number is up they call you and you get your food. Like McDonalds or BK, except you have to wait a little longer to get what you ordered.

Why would I tip there?

Hillary

I know that I don't often tip more than a few dollars in a tip jar at a carry-out restaurant. Then again, about the only food we ever get as carry out is Chinese from a place that really doesn't offer seating. I've been reading a bit about this topic online, thanks to you, and from what I can gather, it is proper etiquette to leave a 10% tip for carry out, 15% if the restaurant is more of a sit down place. Pizza appears to be the one exception where no tip is required if you pick the pizza up. But, I assume that means at a pizza joint, not a restaurant that also serves pizza. Anyway, it's pretty darn confusing! I think you did exactly the right thing and I think the staff there was wrong to remark that you'd done less than what is appropriate, unless your order was huge and/or complicated.

You're sitting there still scratching your head, aren't you? ;)

Doran

I don't tip for takeout. I was surprised when tip jars first appeared at some takeout establishments. No service = no tip.

But, when you think about it, someone still had to make your food, pack it into boxes and bags, and make sure all the necessary "equipment" was there -- like forks, napkins, ketchup, etc. They are still providing "service", just not the same level of service as would be required in a sit-down place. I can see the reasoning behind tipping even for take-out, just not quite as much.

Doran

But, when you think about it, someone still had to make your food, pack it into boxes and bags, and make sure all the necessary "equipment" was there -- like forks, napkins, ketchup, etc. They are still providing "service", just not the same level of service as would be required in a sit-down place. I can see the reasoning behind tipping even for take-out, just not quite as much.

Doran

But in a restaurant, do the kitchen workers that would provide those services receive a cut of a server's tip anyway? I haven't worked in a restaurant, so I don't know. Just a thought that popped in to my head.

I disagree! You are tipping 'service' when you do tip....not the cook....not the cashier not anyone else. There is no 'service' involved in carry out....

Tipping has gotten out of hand...if you ask me....tipping USED to be a generous offering....now it is EXPECTED!

Tammy

After all, if you eat at Cracker Barrel, the waitress serving your food, refilling your glasses, and cleaning up afterwards doesn't share her tips with the cook, does she?

We don't tip for take-out service that we pick up. Eating in, yes, we tip at least 20% unless the service is horrible, because we are a large family and we take more 'service' than your average diner, but we don't tip at a restaurant that is eat-in but you order at the counter, take it to the table yourself, and then clean up after yourself. That is the equivalent of eating in a McDonald's.

I am so going to get neg rep for this, but I don't care because I work in the business and unless you work in the business what is supposed to happen and what actually does, are two different things.

Quoting what the IRS says won't work here in Florida. I make ALL of my income on tips, not my paycheck. I am paid $3.13 a hour and am also expected to claim 10% of my tips. I am also expected to tip out EVENLY any bartender, hostess, and bus boy I work with that night.

If I make 50$ in tips, I am taking home $35-- 10% off the top, that's 5$, then another 10$ split evenly between hostess/bus boy and bartender.

15% is a LOUSY tip for a full service restaurant where I would give you above excellent service (and I know I would I know what I do and how I do it). I would NEVER call you on that tip--I'd politely thank you for it and move on. But it is still lousy.

If your bill is $50 (and for a family of 4, that's a low balled estimate at a full service), making $7.50 on that in tip, is not much when you factor in how much of that I have to pay out--and that's for each tip. I never leave less than a $10 tip on any bill and that's even when it's just two of us. I can't and I won't. I know what it is like on this end.

I am of the belief that if you can't afford to properly tip, don't go out to eat OR order take out --in which you pick up yourself. If I go to a Chinese place, where I ordered take out and I picked it up, I might tip depending on how receptive they are to my demands (I am a picky eater and I tip accordingly). They usually do get something out of me.

But McD's/Subway places like that--no tip. They are paid a living wage. I and other waitstaff, are not. And the government knows this. And they do not care.

If I am giving you excellent service (which I know I am), I would expect to be tipped accordingly. And yes, I said "expect". I am here working for you, the least you can do is pay me something to show your appreciation for that.

Now let them negs roll in. This is one argument I stand by 100%.

. Anyway, one of the workers saw my tip and went on and on about how awful my tip was, etc., etc. Not directly to me but she knew I heard.

That would have been too much. I would have turned on my heel and stepped back up there and asked to speak to the manager. I would have calmly explained what happened. (This server/ clerk commented on the amount of my tip, in my presence. I am sure that is not acceptable behavior on the part of your staff. STARE HERE.) I would not have gotten into an explanation of anything else, whether my tip was adequate or not. I would not have raised my voice; I would not have recommended extra training.

If the manager looked like a "young thing" just put in charge because he/ she was available to work those hours, as opposed to someone who looked like management, I would be following up with a phone call today to speak to the manager on duty then.

Believe me, management doesn't want a sour attitude or rudeness to make you not come in again, or write a letter to the editor, or tell your friends about lousy service.

Of course, I am hormonally challellenged right now, which might be making me a little more testy that usual - YMMV!:mad:

You said: "But McD's/Subway places like that--no tip. They are paid a living wage. I and other waitstaff, are not. And the government knows this. And they do not care. "

Remember your employer obviously doesn't care either....since they can pay you what they want per hour!

I can't say that I agree with everything you said...since I was once a waitress also....

Tammy

Tammy--you are free to disagree. I'm a waitress and I've been a bartender as well. I know what I go through and I know what level of service I give to my customers and I know that manners teaches me to not complain about it to the customer and I never would, but that doesn't stop me from being upset.

And the employer pays what the government says they have to pay--they have to pay at least the minimum wage and for service staff--that's $3.13 an hour. And they require me to claim 10% of that, which I do.

If I were paid a living wage, I wouldn't complain. At all. But I don't get paid that and right now, with the economy the way that it is, taking a waitress job is about the only thing I know I can get steadily. It's all that's highering in my area.

I had to chime in here. Being a former waitress at a fairly nice restaurant that also offered "to go" service, I felt I needed to chime in.

At the restaurant I worked for, the "to go" people were paid more than servers' wages, but still not minimum wage. The restaurant is providing you a service by having these people prepare your food (the cooks cook it, but someone has to take your order, bag it up, make sure its correct), and that requires another person or two on the payroll. The only way this service is profitable to a restaurant is by paying this person less money. So, I feel, you are not only tipping because of the service you receive, but also because of the service being available at all. Otherwise, the cost of meals would need to go up to help cover the service being performed, and I'd rather give an extra couple dollars to the teen working afterschool, then pay more for my food. I know it all evens out, but it makes a difference to me.

This of course, goes only for place where "counter service" isn't readily available.

I always tip at least 20%, more if they are extra attentive or if my kids made a big mess. I want my server to get at least a 15% tip, and most places require tip-outs to other aspects- at my restaurant we shared our tips with the hostesses and the bus boys. The only time I will tip less than that is if the service is just awful, which would really just include a bad attitude on the part of the server.

Um, I wouldn't leave ANY Tip at all- for crying out loud what "service" are they providing that calls for a tip?

That's just ridiculous- everyone wants a "tip" these days- here's mine "If you ain't making enough friggin' money then get ANOTHER JOB! And don't expect people that are already paying for your service (cooked food) to pad your wallet for you by just handing over their hard earned money for no good reason!!!!"

So, there ya go. :) I would also call the manager and complain BIG time about what the person said.

You just sound like you are 'blaming' the 'government'....when in fact....your employer can pay you what he wants above the 'required' amount. So if his wait staff were not making enough money....the turn around would be awful...and maybe he would pay a bit more...to keep employees....or maybe not.

You can't expect to make 'great' money being a waitress in a place like TGI Friday's...etc.

It is funny how 'tips' work....When you go by percentage of the bill....waitresses will certainly make more money in a higher end restaurant...even though...the service is probably the same! So yea....tips are based on percentage of the bill....and they probably always will be!

I tip very nicely when I receive very nice service. If the service is bad, I don't tip at all. In the case of the OP, I might tip or I might not, depending on a lot of factors -- but after the worker decided to spout off, I wouldn't tip at all, and perhaps wouldn't be back, either.

I tip very well when service is provided.

25-30% for exemplary service (have given 50% for amazing service)

20% good service

15% minimal

zero for lousy service

I do NOT tip for buffet style when I carry my food/drink and clear own table.

I also worked as a waitress through hs and college. They may not make an adult living wage, but can still make a lot of money for a decent night. I always made more $$ than my minimum wage friends. (20 yrs ago typically made $15/hr)

I also think that drive-thru tip jars are a pathetic attempt at making extra money for doing the bare minimum. Isn't that what minimum wage is for?

You just sound like you are 'blaming' the 'government'....when in fact....your employer can pay you what he wants above the 'required' amount. So if his wait staff were not making enough money....the turn around would be awful...and maybe he would pay a bit more...to keep employees....or maybe not.

You can't expect to make 'great' money being a waitress in a place like TGI Friday's...etc.

It is funny how 'tips' work....When you go by percentage of the bill....waitresses will certainly make more money in a higher end restaurant...even though...the service is probably the same! So yea....tips are based on percentage of the bill....and they probably always will be!

I'm going to quote Wendy in Ks on this one:

At the restaurant I worked for, the "to go" people were paid more than servers' wages, but still not minimum wage. The restaurant is providing you a service by having these people prepare your food (the cooks cook it, but someone has to take your order, bag it up, make sure its correct), and that requires another person or two on the payroll. The only way this service is profitable to a restaurant is by paying this person less money. So, I feel, you are not only tipping because of the service you receive, but also because of the service being available at all. Otherwise, the cost of meals would need to go up to help cover the service being performed, and I'd rather give an extra couple dollars to the teen working afterschool, then pay more for my food. I know it all evens out, but it makes a difference to me.

The bolding is mine. Yes, in part, I am blaming the government because they are the ones who set wage standards. In other countries, tips aren't given because the server gets a living wage commenserable with the actual cost of living in that area. They don't just make a "minimum", they make a living. So they don't need tips.

In America, we are the only country that does not do this. We don't even have regular jobs paying living wages--there are garbage men making more than teachers!! And while the pay is closer to a living wage, some find they have to take two or more jobs just to make ends meet. So it isn't a matter of "finding another job", that's a cop-out excuse (I know you didn't say this Tammy), it truly is a matter of reforming the living wage all across the board and eliminating the need for tips all over.

And no, I will disagree with you on the "making more in tips at an upscale than at TGI Fridays".. the table turnover at a place like TGIs is higher than an upscale table turnover--I make more money at TGIs or Applebee's than I would at an upscale. The sad truth of the matter is that the more upscale it is, the less the tip, they are more stingy than the "normal folk" are. And I would disagree that it is the "same service" as well. Upscales may have "better" training for their servers, but those servers just don't worry about their tips because they don't have to. They are probably getting paid more, in fact, than I would at TGIs.

And while the turnover rate for employees is high in this business, most businesses realize good help when they have it. And the help realizes that not only does their job depend on it, but their tip/pay does as well--so you are NOT going to get crappy service from me.

I DO go by percentage of the bill and then I add some extra because I know that the waitress is not going to see the percentage I leave her.

Actually, I think the IRS just investigates the situation if you claim less than 8%. Having worked in restaurants from the time I was 13 until I became a nurse at the age of 34, I can tell you this - the restaurants make you claim at least 8% of your sales so they don't have to deal with the IRS. I don't really think the IRS thinks we make 8%. But they're going to give us some room for the fact that we tip out the bussers and the bartenders (and in some restaurants the cooks).

When I worked for small independant businesses I always made more than 20%. Especially if the food was exceptional and the kitchen staff on time with it. When I had a party of 6 or more I could pretty much tell who to add my tip in and who to not. I once had a very fun table of 13 or more Florida locals who walked in wearing their tropical shirts, carrying their beer coozies.

They were fun. I told the manager I only wanted them for the rest of the night, no other tables please.

In the end their bill was $300 almost $400. I wrote on the check and told them in person that I DID NOT include the tip. I made well over $130 on that table even after I tipped out the busser and the bar - each of them receiving a fat tip from me.

I always tip good. When it's the 3 of us out to breakfast or lunch the local girls at the corner cafe know we're good for $5 no matter what bill. They know that I like half sweet and half unsweet tea. We always get good service.

Former waitress here. I was 20 and I could only do it for about 1 1/2 years. I made great money, but I just hated it. I hated it so bad that sometimes I wanted to dump plates of food in customer's laps.

Anyway, I tip. I tip at steak houses (where you order your food at the counter,take your drink with you, get your salad yourself at the bar, but the waitress brings your steak to you and refills your drinks.) I tip 15% or so there. I tip at least 20% at nicer sit down restaurants. I don't tip at coffee houses in spite of those 'tip jars', and I don't tip at take out places. Remember when you 'take out', no one has to re-fill your drink, or clean up your table or take your food back to the kitchen because the order is incorrect.

I too wish tipping was just built in to the price. I would rather the employer worry about the wage of his employee than me having to do it. Worry I mean. Because I do. I remember how it felt to be 20 and depend on someone's mood to get enough money to pay the rent. So I got out of it.

I just wanted to clarify that my "tip" was in reference to the complaining person in the OP- not to others who are in the same business.

And I don't disagree with you stating the obvious about the OP, I would have said something as well. As for the OP, I completely do NOT disagree with you that they were out of hand.

It's the rest that made me post ;)

Actually, I think the IRS just investigates the situation if you claim less than 8%. Having worked in restaurants from the time I was 13 until I became a nurse at the age of 34, I can tell you this - the restaurants make you claim at least 8% of your sales so they don't have to deal with the IRS. I don't really think the IRS thinks we make 8%. But they're going to give us some room for the fact that we tip out the bussers and the bartenders (and in some restaurants the cooks).

Karen--I just wanted to tell you that it is 10% now. Every place I've worked at the last few years make me claim 10%. Denny's wouldn't let us clock out until we claimed at least that, even if we didn't make it, we had to claim it (Denny's sytem was computerized and functioned on how much you rang up in sales. So if I had $500.00 in table sales that night, even if I didn't make the 50$ the computer said I did, I still had to claim the $50. But it all balanced out because there were nights I tripled what the computer said I should have made and I only had to claim that 10%)

Did anyone hear Dave Ramsey's show last night which had one full hour on this topic? One guy worked at a private airport filling up airplanes with gas and was calling in to complain about the sorry tips of some celebrities vs the good tips of other celebrities. Who would have thought THAT employee would expect a tip? Dave Ramsey didn't...and apparently HE flies private like that at times..he said he learned something new.

Tipping is out of hand IMO.

Did anyone hear Dave Ramsey's show last night which had one full hour on this topic? One guy worked at a private airport filling up airplanes with gas and was calling in to complain about the sorry tips of some celebrities vs the good tips of other celebrities. Who would have thought THAT employee would expect a tip? Dave Ramsey didn't...and apparently HE flies private like that at times..he said he learned something new.

Tipping is out of hand IMO.

That is a bit much--getting tipped for gasing airplanes? Isn't that what he makes a good wage for? If he worked on the private jet, being a butler of sorts, I could see it.. but for gasing the planes up?

Baggers, waitstaff, bartenders, and conceirge service (bag boys) are all that should be tipped. Not hostesses, busboys and the like, as they get paid a good wage.

toni

So, are you saying busboys get paid a better wage than waiters/waitresses AND you have to give them a cut of your tip?!

That's exactly what I am saying. Busboys here make upwards of $7 plus an hour. AND I have to tip them out because they "helped" keep my area clean.

I'd rather clean the frickin' things myself and keep the money, thankyouverymuch.. but noooooooo, I gotta tip them out too. And hostesses as well--they make the same as busboys and I gotta tip them out because they "put the business on the table".

I forgot the best part:

They don't have to claim a darnmened thing.

You are tipping 'service' when you do tip....not the cook....not the cashier not anyone else.

Depends on the restaurant, actually. Where I worked, we servers did allot a portion (can't recall the percentage now) of our tips to the 'busboys' as well as the kitchen staff. I think I took home roughly

Tipping has gotten out of hand...if you ask me....tipping USED to be a generous offering....now it is EXPECTED!

Agreed!

I loved being a waitress. All through highschool and college I was a server, several different restaurants. I was always paid full minimum wage, and even a little higher in a higher-scale restaurant. The tips I made were self-reported and taxed, but I always ended up making at least $15-$20 per hour.

I also wouldn't tip at a takeout place. Even at places like Sonic (which is new to us) I find it strange that tipping the person who carries the bag to the car is expected. In that case, should I tip the person who brings me my order at McDonalds when I have to pull aside because it's not ready in time? :rolleyes:

If I were eating at a non-tip restaurant higher caliber than McD's but less than a sit-down restaurant I might leave a tip if the kids made a mess that someone had to clean up. (usually we try to make sure and clean up things ourselves, but sometimes it's not possible.)

But in a restaurant, do the kitchen workers that would provide those services receive a cut of a server's tip anyway? I haven't worked in a restaurant, so I don't know. Just a thought that popped in to my head.

I think it depends on the restaurant. Dh worked busing (sp?) and waiting tables at Outback Steakhouse for awhile, and all tips went into a common pot for each server, and they were divided, by some calculation I could never figure out, between each section's waiter, buser (sp?), a member of the cook staff, and a member of the janitorial staff. Only the hostess didn't tip-share because they made some amazing amount per hour, comparatively (I think it was $12/hr... this was 6 years ago). I forget what his hourly wage was... about $3/hr sounds right. I was so proud of my dh, though. He was hired as a buser and was promoted to waiter within two weeks. He was very good at his job and genuinely enjoyed it, and busers, cooks, and janitorial staff always vied to be tip-shared with him because he always did so well. He made more money waiting tables 4 days per week (as long as two of those days fell Thursday through Sunday) than he did on salary in an office job for a national security company! We got great "bribes" from the cook staff, too. Guess who took home most of the mis-ordered steaks and shrimp? :D (Not that it worked, the manager assigned tip-share every night.)

Dh also used to deliver pizza, but he kept all the tips from that. The cooks were salary.

We tip pizza deliverers very well, especially in bad weather... 20-25%. We tip well in restaurants, too. A minimum of 20%. We will only tip less if we have spoken to the waiter about a problem, and he still delivers poor service. Then we'll tip 10-15%. If we have to speak to a manager, we either won't tip at all or give a very small amount. It depends on the circumstances.

I also wouldn't tip at a takeout place. Even at places like Sonic (which is new to us) I find it strange that tipping the person who carries the bag to the car is expected. In that case, should I tip the person who brings me my order at McDonalds when I have to pull aside because it's not ready in time?

I have done this though. The McD's part. I figure they are being tweaked out of their job by a bum-rushed MGR. who only wants to get the food out in time, so I usually gave them a buck or two for it. And I only tip $1 or $2 at places like Sonic as well. Sonic has people sitting in the back taking the orders and the "waitstaff" pick it up to deliver it. They do deserve a tip, but only because their job is to make sure my order is correct.

Originally Posted by Mom2legomaniacs

tutor mentioned outback and that sounds about right to me, only when I worked there, waitstaff did not have to put in to a community jar, we kept and then tipped out based on what I said--but we did have to tip out the cook. The bartenders had a community jar, but that was split between the bar staff. We wait staff still had to tip out the barstaff.

At other places, the cooks are paid a Chef's wage. Not the high end chef's, but a low end chef wage--which is usually $15 an hour or so. So they didn't get tipped out.

Gwen, seeing that I am just about to open a coffee shop where I will hire people whom I expect to behave properly. I would especially appreciate a customer doing what you expressed! I would be too wimpy to do it myself, but I sure would be tempted! As an employer, I would be furious enough to say something.

I despise poor service. And it affects my tip. I always wonder why people offer poor service, when at least 50% of the time it has to affect their tip.

We eat out a lot. My husband is either a spectacular tipper or a horrible one. If a server is rude to us, I often have been tempted to warn them, that they are throwing good money down the toilet! Several times, mistakes have been made, like our server entirely missing us for FORTY FIVE MINUTES! However, once he realized what he had done, he went over the top to correct the error, and dh left him a huge tip, probably 50%. The waiter chased us out of the restaurant thanking us profusely, because he obviously had expected nothing.

All through highschool I worked as a hostess / busser for a hotel chain. It was hard work earning that 5% of 10%! But as a kid still living at home, I also recognized how hard it was for those waitresses who didn't still live at home with their mommies, but with their kids they needed to support, to give me that 5% of 10%. I knew that I sure better be helping make their lives easier to earn that money.

Now, as I am the owner of my B&B and have no expectation of receiving tips, even when I am cook, server & dishwasher all in one. I still try to offer tip worthy service! Every once in awhile, I get a surprise from a guest, and it sure is appreciated.

I'm not into dishing out negative rep, but I will strongly disagree with your assertion that 15% is a lousy tip for a full service restaurant. I've worked in the business, too, and I was more than happy with 15%. It galls me that a server would secretly resent that cut. I don't expect customers to factor in what servers (may) have to share with other staff. That's not my business (and as Tammy's pointed out, it's not the case in every restaurant anyway.)

By the same token, "serving" me as a customer is not on par with "working" for me. Your terms are misplaced. You work for your employer, and your work includes serving customers. If you work in the industry and you don't like the way it plays out, either get a different job or work to change the system, but don't begrudge those of us who are leaving perfectly reasonable tips.

I also wouldn't tip at a takeout place. Even at places like Sonic (which is new to us) I find it strange that tipping the person who carries the bag to the car is expected. In that case, should I tip the person who brings me my order at McDonalds when I have to pull aside because it's not ready in time?

Well, I usually tip a dollar at Sonic but most of the ones I've been to the carhops are on roller skates. I think they deserve a dollar for that. ;) I will also tip the barista a dollar if she's polite and gets my order right.

GG-I don't think 15% is a lousy tip. As I said before, I tip more than that for great service but 15% isn't lousy, it's average. The fact some restaurants make you share your tips with the busboys or whomever doesn't mean I should tip extra to cover that. That is a problem with the management of that particular restaurant. Clearly, they are not intended to receive part of a tip because they make above minimum wage *and* don't have to claim it on their taxes. If the system has changed then the tax system and laws should be changed to reflect that. However, that has nothing to do with the customer *or* how much I can pay.

None of which has anything to do with a counter-service restaurant. The vast majority of counter service restaurants do pay at least minimum wage.

eta: Also, what you have to claim on your taxes isn't my problem either, *everyone* pays part of the wage toward taxes.

My mother raised two kids working as a waitress. We never had much money, but she would tell you what she has taught us: TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service.

A standard tip is 15%. For very good or excellent service, 20% or whatever extra you feel is appropriate. 50% is definitely over the top, but if you want to bless someone that way, go right ahead. If you're willing to tip it, you can probably afford it, and that money will probably mean a lot more to the waitress than it does to you. It certainly would never be expected. If service is substandard, a 10% tip gets the message across, but in most cases you should still tip at least that much. In a situation such as the OP's, a tip is not necessary, but if you're eating there, it's nice to leave a little something since they will still have to clean up after you.