Menu

What color to paint DDs' room?

My girls share a bedroom and they want to "update" it and make it theirs. The walls are currently a pale lavender. They hate it. They don't want white or blue either.

I will NOT paint it pink or orange!

They will be 11 next month. One likes pink, the other Orange. I have seen some comforters I like that have orange, pink, lime green, turqoise blue, and yellow in them, and they currently have a quilt w/ those colors as well.

So, knowing all of that. What color would you paint the room?

The PBK catalog lists all the paint colors they use in the rooms, and you can get swatches for all those colors in Benjamin Moore paints. I got dd her new bedding at a PBK outlet (they had quite a bit for girls, less for boys), so I went with one of their yellow shade recommendations, and it's just lovely. And I found it very helpful to be able to look at photos of whole rooms using the colors I was considering...

My 12 yr old did Tinkerbell Green (HomeDepot Disney color) and then put on the Wallies flowers. It is like this picture except we didn't do the border.

W12174.jpg

Then we found this design bed-in-a-bag from Domestications and the curtains. It matched the Wallies almost exactly.

tn4_2540346.jpg

I get inspriration from Pottery Barn catalogs. I look at their kids rooms & see what appeals. I can match paint colors closely & can imitate flower or designs.

I am more classical & traditional probably. I like colors that can't be dated, but still can have some personality & style to them. I hate beige... haha.

I suggest a paint color that is going to be an accent not a major player. If you kids are drawn to pink/orange then don't use those colors on the walls. For one thing it can be overwhelming, for another they will usually not match and end up clashing.

For a pink or orange room I agree that either soft yellow, or green would be great. The yellow is a similar warm color and will make a more unifying colorscheme, the green is a contrasting color and will make it more vibrant...especially if you end up using orange and pink.

Personally, I would go with a soft yellow. A little yellow goes a long ways in decorating, so going into the decorators living rooms yellows would be a good choice.

We have a green and lavender room and it is really cute but the green has been a problem with matching to other greens. Green is soooo trendy right now, but there are a lot of shades of green and different tones so it makes it hard to match.

Can I ask why you wont' allow pink or orange?

It can always be painted over later on. Pink and orange can look really neat together. I have seen it done.

Because I'm a child of the 70's! My sleeping bag (that I loved, then) was bright (flourescent) orange on the inside, w/ all the bright yellow/ pink giant flowers on the outside. :tongue_smilie: Still gives me nightmares! And, when I was little, our room was pink- pepto bismol pink. I hate pink!

I am allowing the orange and pink in the bedding area- just not on the walls!:D

Why not let them each paint two walls? Or choose two colors and paint each wall both colors (1/3 and 2/3 or 1/2 and 1/2). Just let them choose and back away. You might be surprised. Several paint companies sell little samples of their colors so they can try it out. Just make a rule that they have to agree before you will buy the paint. It can always be painted over. Let them choose some samples and get creative. And 11yos should be able to do most of the work themselves too. It will be great for them. Maybe even give them a budget and turn the whole thing into a learning experience? Figuring out how much paint to buy is a good skill - great time to put math to a practical purpose. Time to teach area, square foot, perimeter, linear foot, budgeting, taxes, percentage, rounding.... The math involved in decorating a room is awesome.

I also vote for the green, then let them find accessories in pink/orange. And, remember, it is THEIR room, not yours ;).

I did stop my teen from painting her walls blood red. She ended up with three deep purple walls, and a black accent wall. Hey, it is only paint. She is into Twilight..and has Jonas Bros. posters all over, too.

My teen walls were dark brown. And covered with b/w photos of silent film stars, James Cagney, and the Marx Bros.

I am allowing the orange and pink in the bedding area- just not on the walls!:D

My dd has a Hawaiin, surf style theme. She has a soft yellow on the walls and her bedding is pink, orange, turquoise, yellow. It's really cute. The yellow is soothing and calming, but the room is bright and updated because of the bedding. It's tremendously easy to accessorize.

HTH,

Lisa