Menu

Did you choose a math curricula based on longevity of the program??

Amy+2

Meaning, did you reasearch/look forward to where the program will lead from elementary through high school level/college or did you choose a program based on only the present 'school' year?

I guess my pondering on this subject has me wondering if many homeschoolers see math as a find one curriculum and 'stick with it' based on the building of the program, or if they see math as a subject that can be learned through various curricula through the years with the same outcome and knowledge in the end...

Yes and no. We use Right Start, which ends around 4th-5th grade, but it provides such a solid foundation I think the skills taught would overcome any kind of learning curve when using a new curriculum. Also, it prevents against the child only learning the way the program teaches and not being able to solve problems presented in a different format.

In WTM, the suggestion is to find the math program that works for your child and stick with it if at all possible. She says to switch if what you are using is not working...meaning causing tears in the little one's eyes when the math book is pulled out. But, she said that the more times you switch, the more opportunities to confuse the child. Math is one of those subjects that builds on previous knowledge, so it can be rough to switch...not impossible, but frustrating. I have done it and I wish I had just stuck with what I started out with. Sometimes the curriculum isn't the problem...and then, sometimes it is.

But, initially, she states that all the ones in WTM are good choices and don't stay awake at night over which math curriculum to choose. Just pick one and try it. If it doesn't work, change it. If it works, stick with it. I would look long and hard at what you feel most comfortable teaching from...meaning the amount of teacher help needed. I think the teaching part can make all the difference.

Hope that helps...:001_smile:

Edited by Mommy7

Starting in the fall, my oldest will be on his 3rd math curriculum, but he'll be in 7th grade and each switch in retrospect was appropriate. We used RightStart through E with him, and then went to CLE because he needed more review and independence. It was a bit of a transition but worked well in the long run. Now he's burned out on all the review and CLE's Sunrise Algebra won't be ready in time, so we're going to go with either Life of Fred or Math-U-See. He's using Life of Fred's Fractions and Decimals for review this summer, and then we'll do Math-U-See pre-algebra and then make a decision on whether to do Life of Fred Algebra or Math-U-See Algebra or maybe do one in the school year and the other as a summer review. My younger one did RightStart for PK-2nd and had a seamless transition to CLE because the scope-and-sequence is very similar at that level (not the case when we went from RightStart E to CLE Math 4).

Like anything else, seeking perfection in a math program can backfire and leave gaps, but I think that there are times and points where switching will work fine. We switched to CLE knowing that we'd probably have to change for pre-algebra or algebra, but that's a good time to switch programs and has fewer consequences than switching during the K-6 years. I'm glad we used RightStart in the early years.

Initially I did, but that didn't work out. I started with Saxon and it was a huge comfort to me to know that it went all the way through high school. Oh well... :glare:

I had to switch to "what works for us now." It turned out to be RS, which will only take us through 5th grade (I think?). I might end up with TT and LOF afterwards, but I have time to decide and let new curricula be written!

I tend to be a long-range planner, so when I chose K math, I did take into account the length of the program. I'm glad I did. Having the consistency in teaching and learning through 8 years has been a blessing. Just switching from the older version (MUS) to the newer version was headache enough. Sadly, we're leaving MUS now (after K through Algebra), but I'm ready for the challenge.

Not me. I started homeschooling my ds in middle school. So my first time with math was pre-Algebra through pre-Calc. Then during pre-calc, I started teaching K math. I learned from the other end what I am going to use for the higer maths, then I had to flounder around in elementary math for a few years before I learned how to teach elementary math.

Not at first, I just started with a notion to 'build the foundation’; naturally I was not exactly sure what that was supposed to be.

But the more I learn + the rate of the kid’s growth, I surmise I will never reach a Liping Ma level of understanding in time. So I have looked ahead to where we need to be in order to not do remedial math in College. And have backtracked from there and have begun building a roadmap of objectives/obstacles/intermediate objectives.

I wouldn't worry about sticking with a program from K-12. I think sticking with an elementary program is a good idea b/c they are all over the place in what they teach when. I think sticking with a main source for your algebra courses is a also a good plan. Geometry is pretty much its own course so you can choose any text and switch back to your algs without any problem.

Starting in the fall, my oldest will be on his 3rd math curriculum, but he'll be in 7th grade and each switch in retrospect was appropriate. We used RightStart through E with him, and then went to CLE because he needed more review and independence. It was a bit of a transition but worked well in the long run. Now he's burned out on all the review and CLE's Sunrise Algebra won't be ready in time, so we're going to go with either Life of Fred or Math-U-See. He's using Life of Fred's Fractions and Decimals for review this summer, and then we'll do Math-U-See pre-algebra and then make a decision on whether to do Life of Fred Algebra or Math-U-See Algebra or maybe do one in the school year and the other as a summer review. My younger one did RightStart for PK-2nd and had a seamless transition to CLE because the scope-and-sequence is very similar at that level (not the case when we went from RightStart E to CLE Math 4).

Like anything else, seeking perfection in a math program can backfire and leave gaps, but I think that there are times and points where switching will work fine. We switched to CLE knowing that we'd probably have to change for pre-algebra or algebra, but that's a good time to switch programs and has fewer consequences than switching during the K-6 years. I'm glad we used RightStart in the early years.

When you say you went from RS 2nd to CLE, do you mean you finished RS through level C and then went into CLE 3? Just wondering because my daughter is doing RS and I was thinking about having her move to CLE when she's finished.

Thanks!

Lisa

Sue,

So is the inconvenient switch from version to version of MUS the only reason you are leaving it behind? Or do you have other motivations?

Not at all. We started with the Classic version, but switch in the middle of Intermediate to Delta of the newer version. It wasn't that bad, and the newer editions are better.

I am not impressed with MUS at the high school level. It's fine for some, but I wanted something more rigorous.

HTH!

When you say you went from RS 2nd to CLE, do you mean you finished RS through level C and then went into CLE 3? Just wondering because my daughter is doing RS and I was thinking about having her move to CLE when she's finished.
I'm not GVA, but thought I'd respond as my dd just finished RS Level C. She took CLE placement and tested into Level 400. I picked up Light Unit 306-308 for her to do a "trial run" this summer. She's doing extremely well, BUT she dislikes CLE because the lesson is 4 pages long whereas in RS, a lesson is only one worksheet. Just thought I'd share since you mentioned making the transition after Level C.

It's important for me to have continuity 1st-6th and then 7th-12th. I'm using Singapore 1st -6th....and when my oldest is nearing 7th, we'll explore our options.

:iagree: I picked MCP Math (K-6) and Miquon (1-5). In fact. I think it's better to build the elementary foundation and expand with something fresh. Just MHO.

It's important for me to have my children exposed to a lot of different ways of explaining math. I want them to understand different representations and different ways of getting to the answer. For this reason I intentionally use a variety of resources at the elementary level: Miquon, Singapore, Challenge Math, games, and many living math books (http://www.livingmath.net). Math is very casual and enjoyable at our house. I try to create a math-rich environment.

I'm not worried about gaps because I know with all these resources we've got it covered. I would be more worried about gaps if my children were only being exposed to one author's or textbook's perspective of mathematics.

Edited by oakmom

Interesting responses thus far...I really liked your thoughts, Oakmom, and I must say I think I somewhat agree with the exposure at the elementary age. Maybe because that is the path I have taken to this point in our 5 years of homeschooling.;) I was just curious to see if most thought that the consistency of ONE program versus the eclectic variety of programs had ruled their choices for math. Being an English major in college, I have always had the most struggle with the math side of our homeschooling. When my oldest was a K'er, I used both A Beka math with MUS Alpha as a supplement. From there, I moved forward with A Beka and began incorporating Shiller. A Beka has always been the 'foundation' curricula, but obviously with some very strong sidekicks.:) I did this to keep math INTERESTING. As my oldest goes into his '4th grade' year, I have switched him from A Beka to Math Matters and he is very thrilled about the change. My younger will still do A Beka 3, but I will be looking for yet another supplement for that. MotL looks very intriguing, and I think it would work great with both of the boys at their levels.

My desire is to eventually settle in with one curricula for when we reach the junior high stage. Right now, I just want them to love to learn and to make it as much 'fun' as possible.:tongue_smilie:

To some degree I did, but mostly I didn't. We use RightStart, which goes through 4th/5th grade. It doesn't go all the way through elementary school, but I am convinced it will give my kids a solid math foundation and the ability to transition to another program (I will not put my kids into VideoText algebra in 6th grade, regardless of what RS says. I think 6th is too early.)

Would I have gone with RS if it only went to 3rd grade? I don't know. Do I care that it doesn't go through middle or high school? Not at all.

Tara

It's my preference to find one program to use throughout the elementary school years. When I was an elementary student we moved A LOT. I think I went to around 7 or 8 different elementary (K-5) schools. I was a very bright student but had major learning gaps in math because the schools all used different curricula and taught different things at different times. It was very frustrating and had long-term effects on my education and self-esteem. By the time my parents stopped moving (Jr. High) I had given up on math, because I thought I wasn't any good at it. I was wrong about that, but I was an adult before I was able to get in touch with my inner math geek :)

So, unless our program of choice (MEP) simply doesn't work for my girls, we're sticking with it into Jr. High. I do like the idea of supplementing with things like Miquon and Living Math to give the girls an even richer math experience. However, the basic program will hopefully stay the same.

No, I chose RightStart, and so far that does not go all the way through. However, I like it so much, and I feel it will give my kids a great foundation. Besides, by the time we reach the end of the series...the author may have completed new levels. :D

If not, I'll decide at that time what I feels will work best.

I honestly don't think that this should be a factor. A fabulous elementary math program will prepare a child for first year algebra and geometry, a fabulous first year algebra program will prepare a student for second year algebra, and so forth. Now, skipping between elementary math programs might produce some gaps and confusion, but assuming that this doesn't happen, there's no reason to pick math in kindergarten because the program also offers a calculus book.

I honestly don't think that this should be a factor. A fabulous elementary math program will prepare a child for first year algebra and geometry, a fabulous first year algebra program will prepare a student for second year algebra, and so forth. Now, skipping between elementary math programs might produce some gaps and confusion, but assuming that this doesn't happen, there's no reason to pick math in kindergarten because the program also offers a calculus book.

I agree with this statement especially in regards to elementary math. I don't really believe that multiple programs are necessary for mastering elementary math. However, in regards to high school math.......the question that being well prepared begs is the definition of "fabulous!"

My oldest used Foersters alg 1. I was given Saxon alg 2 and we were in a financial rough spot so I went with it instead of ordering Foersters alg 2. That was a HUGE mistake. It took at least 1/2 way through the Saxon book for him to encounter any new material. That really surprised me. But, that was not the real issue. The bigger problem was that when we started Foerster pre-cal the next yr, Saxon had not taken him any where near as far as he needed to be to use the Foerster text. I had to hire a tutor to double time him for the first few weeks so he could catch up to where he needed to be. (It is a good thing he is an excellent math student and was able to do it!)

It is why I recommend staying with a program through the algs. Geometry is a different story. It is its own beast.

You are right of course--Saxon is in its own world as is TT in that neither of them seem to adhere to the accepted sequence in terms of the timing of the introduction of various concepts and the level of the book. Books with a traditional scope and sequence should be better with this.

My daughter graduates in December with a BA in mathematics at age 20, and she came home to school at age 12. So, I have *no* advice for elementary curriculum (LOL). Well, that's not fair...her younger sister came home in 3rd grade, and is also a good math student.

When my dd1 was 13, she said, "I am just not good at math. I'll never be the mathematician you are."

I said, "That's okay...well-educated people finish the Calculus sequence." (GRIN)

She just nodded, and went back to work. :)

Now, before you think I pushed her to do something she wasn't able to do, or interested in doing, I want to say that she always lacked confidence in math, but was certainly capable. She didn't have any learning differences in math, and she was always a good student who would do what I asked of her, and also created her own work to do--very motivated. She truly *desired* to be "well-educated" and so she needed to know that means more than Algebra 1.

So, when I look at the sequence of math curricula we used, sometimes I cringe:

Algebra 1: Saxon

Geometry: Jacobs

Algebra 2: A Beka

PreCalculus: MUS Trig/BJU PreCalc (selective chapters)

Calculus: Calculus for Life Sciences (college text I'd taught in grad school), Larson Calculus

Statistics: Intro to Statistics (college text)

At the CC:

COLLEGE ALGEBRA

PRECALC

CALC I

STATS

Every math she studied in 7th-12th grades was from a different book, different author. We never finished any of them. I was really lazy about "grading" her work. I never really gave her any tests. She entered the CC at age 16, and we chose College Algebra as her first math. She had done "conceptual" Calculus at home (LOL)--we never really seriously graded her work, or tested her. Just kept trying to solve problems, and correcting them when she missed them. She did a lot of copywork from my good solutions.

So, she entered her traditional math study at the CC, and I continued to "tutor" when she needed me. But she mainly took good notes, never missed class, and did 100% of her homework. She has maintained a 4.0 GPA in all her college coursework, and chose math as her second major (originally she was an art major).

She just changed her major to math as her primary degree, mainly because she *could* quickly graduate with a degree in math. I read a quote recently that said, "I advise my students to listen closely when they state they are not taking any more math. They can probably hear the doors closing." I think math has been the "open door" for my dd throughout her academic work.

She is taking Modern Algebra, a course that often gives undergrads pause. She said to me, "It's really just a combo of the Advanced Calc course, and the Transitions (proofs) course I took at ECU last year. No big deal."

She is a better student than I ever was, so I really don't take credit. It's obviously not the "one magic curriculum" that makes a great math student. I have to confess that when she was 13, she did only about 40 lessons from the Saxon Algebra 2 book (which is why it's not listed) and really didn't DO any math that year. So, in 7 years, she's done 10 math courses in high school, and 10 more in university! I think that's what made the difference. The *more* math the student does, the better she gets at it. She has probably worked 150+ problems a week consistently, and now many of those problems are proofs 3-5 pages long. (So her writing was important too!)

Completely anecdotal, I know. But my dd is proof that math is something you master by diligence and hard work, and curriculum isn't the "magic bullet."

We didn't research the math program we ended up with. In fact the one I had reserached and was ready to purchase was a complete no go for my dd. She went with me to the local hs convention and we spent over an hour at the RS booth with her "playing" math. For the first time ever I made an impulse buy on curriculum.

Since getting the program I am impressed and will probably use it through Level E. This way we will have a sense of consistency with math through elementary. Then.... well who knows??? I'll probably let her guide me in that decision again when we run out of RS levels. My thought is if she likes the program then she'll like math. That's what matters to me is that she enjoys the subject. ;)

Good luck.