Menu

? Homeschooling Laws in Texas

We are seriously considering a move to Texas at some near point in time and I have spent the day looking at the THSC site and am trying to make sense of the homeschool laws in Texas. (I'm in TN currently)

So, let me understand this correctly:

You don't have to register with anyone to homeschool? You just move into the state and pretty much do whatever you want? No umbrella, no record keeper, no curriculum lists, no one to verify your "credits" for graduation, etc....? It's just the "honor" system and you issue a diploma that the state recognizes as any diploma from a private school? It's that simple?

:001_huh:

Just wondering ~

Also, I'm having trouble finding tutorials in Texas. Are they just not as popular there? Maybe it's just the area I'm looking at. Maybe they are just not on-line and I'll need to wait to get there to figure that part out.

And, I understand that homeschool participation in public school classes/sports/extras is left up to the individual school districts (it's a state decision here). Do many school districts do this?

I'm coming in with a 10th grader and we are already set up with mostly on line classes with Veritas....but we like math and science local at least. We most likely won't be there until next summer (the kids and I anyway, hubby may go early if this works out) and he would be in 11th by then, in which we would probably look to sign up for duel enrollment.

So, as you see, I'm not really a homeschooler, but more of an education manager because I farm out just about everything for high school. ;)

Thanks ~ Debbie in TN

Edited by debbiec

We are seriously considering a move to Texas at some near point in time and I have spent the day looking at the THSC site and am trying to make sense of the homeschool laws in Texas. (I'm in TN currently)

You don't have to register with anyone to homeschool? You just move into the state and pretty much do whatever you want? No umbrella, no record keeper, no curriculum lists, no one to verify your "credits" for graduation, etc....? It's just the "honor" system and you issue a diploma that the state recognizes as any diploma from a private school? It's that simple?

Just wondering ~

Generally, yes. Homeschools are considered private schools here. You are obligated to teach [::thinks furiously for a moment::]math, language arts, social studies, and good citizenship. I think. I haven't read that in a while, so please don't quote me. However, I'm not sure about the diploma aspect. I don't *think* you issue a diploma. My kiddos are younger, so I haven't had to deal with this just yet.

Also, I'm having trouble finding tutorials in Texas. Are they just not as popular there? Maybe it's just the area I'm looking at. Maybe they are just not on-line and I'll need to wait to get there to figure that part out.

Not sure what you mean by tutorials.

And, I understand that homeschool participation in public school classes/sports/extras is left up to the individual school districts (it's a state decision here). Do many school districts do this?

In the district my kids would attend, they don't readily or willingly do this. I can't answer for any other district in the state (and there's quite a number of them).

I'm coming in with a 10th grader and we are already set up with mostly on line classes with Veritas....but we like math and science local at least. We most likely won't be there until next summer (the kids and I anyway, hubby may go early if this works out) and he would be in 11th by then, in which we would probably look to sign up for duel enrollment.

With the cc in my neck o' the woods, that would be no problem. Again, not sure if that's universal in Texas, though.

So, as you see, I'm not really a homeschooler, but more of an education manager because I farm out just about everything for high school. ;)

Thanks ~ Debbie in TN

Texas really is one of the easiest states to homeschool in. There is no reporting and the kids don't have to take the various standardized tests the PS kids do (and this includes the latest incarnation of the test taken before graduation). The only official correspondence one ever need have is if a child is enrolled then withdrawn from a public school.

Just wondering ~

Thanks ~ Debbie in TN

Although you are not required to keep records, it will be required if you decide to put your child back in the public school system. In addition, colleges and universities still want to see a homeschool transcript and/or a portfolio.

In Texas, homeschools are considered unaccredited private schools. Even if you choose to use an accredited umbrella school (not required), your child's high school diploma will still be treated as a unaccredited diploma by the state and most colleges and universities.

If you want a diploma from the state of Texas, there are two public school programs (cost money). These two programs are not considered homeschooling. They are public schools at home programs.

Texas Tech University http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ode/K-12/

University of Texas High School http://www.utexas.edu/cee/dec/uths/

Agreed with PP. Nope, don't need to do anything - you're a private school. And, the necessary 5 subjects are: spelling, writing, grammar, math, and "citizenship". (That "citizenship" subject is pretty arbitrary - if you're doing any sort of history, social studies, even Bible/religion... a scouting program... lots of stuff counts.)

And I dunno what you mean tutorials either. :lol:

Every CC I'm familiar with is fine with dual enrollment.

Entry to college for college-level courses generally would require a college entrance exam. I think they ask for a transcript, so though it's not law for you to keep records in high school it *is* generally required by the colleges. And, each college differs as to what meets their minimums for entry credits... but that can generally be gotten-around by taking the entry exam (even if dc scores high on the ACT/SAT). That is my understanding; however, don't quote me - my oldest is 10!! :lol:

GL and congrats on finally getting here. :p

Tutorials ~ a structured "support group" with scheduled classes, usually once a week, where a tutor has been hired and paid for the year. Usually 7th grade and up. Especially helpful for high school support and help. Basically, private "tutored" classes.

Tutorials ~ a structured "support group" with scheduled classes, usually once a week, where a tutor has been hired and paid for the year. Usually 7th grade and up. Especially helpful for high school support and help. Basically, private "tutored" classes.

Do you mean Co-op groups? What part of Texas?

I guess it depends on the area. We have something similar to what you describe, called One Day Academy. We also have many co-ops.

I know of many kids as young as 14 taking college courses for credit as dual students; for free. They just have to test in.

What area are you looking to move to?

Oh yea, co-ops. I was thrown by the word tutorials. Yes, there are co-ops here where parents all chip in to teach classes or help in some way to give kids some opportunities that it is hard to recreate at home. Some areas have places where you can take your child for classes taught by certified teachers, but it is not a public school sort of thing. We have something around here called One Day Academy where parents can pay to have accredited teachers (again not a public school thing) teach subjects like math and science and such. This is usually done at churches in our area who donate their building to the group.

Duel credit is a great idea! We plan to enroll our kids at 16 when they can participate in that. Our ps does not allow hs kids to participate, but we have taken matters into our own hands so to speak. There are large pockets of hsers all over the state, and there are hs bands, football teams, and so on. Some private schools are allowing hsed kids to partcipate for a fee also.

FWIW our homeschool friends have not had any issues getting into college even without an official diploma. The key seems to be a good portfolio.

We don't report anything to anyone.

There are quite a few groups in the Dallas area.

What area of TX are you planning to move to?

Here are a couple of Home school co-ops:

http://www.excelhomeschoolers.org/

http://www.homeschoolerseast.com/

I don't have personal experience with either one - we haven't gotten that far just yet.

There are also sometimes home school classes at the local rec centers.

Oh, ok. We wouldn't call that a "support group." It would be a co-op, or a day school, or something similar. A "support group" would be a social group, with regular park days, field trips, moms' night out, maybe some informal classes if someone feels like teaching.:)

Oh, ok. We wouldn't call that a "support group." It would be a co-op, or a day school, or something similar. A "support group" would be a social group, with regular park days, field trips, moms' night out, maybe some informal classes if someone feels like teaching.:)

Down here in TX a hs support group could also include leaving the kids at home, and the home schooling mommas going out for a much needed drink.

:cheers2:

You might also check into University Model Schools.

sometimes co-ops bring in a paid teacher, but most of the time they are taught by parents.

but by the time you reach 16, community colleges tend to be the preferred method. The dallas system offers FREE dual credit classes. I'll be learning more about that in a couple years :D

Ah, OK, now I see. I was thinking something along the lines of how many students at Oxbridge are taught/tutored. What you seem to be describing is what we would probably call a co-op.

The one thing about cc courses is that you need to watch how many hours are accrued. IIRC if the student (even as a high schooler - PS or HS) has too many he/she could be considered a college student, not a dual enrolled high school student. This would come into play when applying to university - you wouldn't want your student to have so many hours that he would be considered a transfer student instead of a high school student with some college level coursework. Whole different set of requirements for transfer students to most public universities in Texas.

Down here in TX a hs support group could also include leaving the kids at home, and the home schooling mommas going out for a much needed drink.

:cheers2:

Yee-Haw!!:lol:

Texas has a "nobody's gonna tell me what to do" kind of attitude. It comes in handy in lots of situations!:D

Texas has a "nobody's gonna tell me what to do" kind of attitude. It comes in handy in lots of situations!:D

That's certainly my attitude, all day every day. :D

The way the original poster described the homeschooling laws is pretty right on. No one tells you what and how to teach and you don't report to anyone at all.

If your child wants to go to college, prepare him or her for the college entrance exam (and I've even known a few families to work around that with certain community colleges) and you're home free.

Move on down but bring your AC, it's been over 100 degrees every single day for the last week and a half where I live and it's only going to get hotter, unfortunately.

Yes, we have co-ops too, which is usually (here anyway) K-6 family programs. Tutorials are more just paid "drop off" classes that isn't as family centered as a co-op.

Thanks for all your responses and help. Hubby and I stayed up to the wee hours looking though the TTISD things (interesting) and looking at how friendly some of the school districts are for allowing home schooled children to take classes. TN is not very friendly in general to home educated students/families for some reason. Part of the state? ~ the Panhandle. Not my first choice but where the in-law are. All of that was in another post somewhere. Many thanks. A lot of the info should keep us busy for a while.

Texas has a great environment for homeschooling ! We have the freedom to provide a superlative education for our children. I also have run into families who relish their freedom to provide NO education for their children, yet insist that they homeschool. They shall reap the resultant problems, though. I remain grateful for the "loose" situation here.

Every now and then, a school district somewhere will heckle a homeschooling family. You can find anecdotes on the HSLDA website, if they maintain an archives section of past legal scuffles.

In general, Texas seems to be a "no enroll, no participate" state. This is the impression I have formed over fourteen years. Again, though, the question varies from district-to-district. Never hurts to ask !

A greater problem, I think, is the decision about high school. The last time that I checked for the city in which we live (a suburb north of Dallas), it was close to an "all or nothing" decision. The school district could choose to let a student "test into" high school courses. The school district, however, reserved the right to deny credit for any and all homeschool coursework -- thus forcing a student to begin in the 9th grade, no matter what the real situation.

You're correct and have the right information.

Depending on where you move there are lots of options for tutors, co-ops, classes, etc. In my area there are too many to choose from.

Dual credit is fairly easy. Cost is 1/2 tuition and you are limited to 2 classes per semester at that rate......additional classes are at the regular tuition rate. Our local CC has a highschool enrollment option and you can enroll for your Jr/Sr. year and graduate with a Associates degree at the same time. The catch is you have to take the specific classes they require for this option.

Welcome to Texas!

Hey - we're moving to the Panhandle too! Probably late October, early November - we'll be an hour north of Lubbock. I. can't. wait. to homeschool in the freedom of TX. We're in NY now, so I will have experienced both ends of the spectrum. My oldest is a football fanatic and plans to go back to ps for high school so that he can play. The research I did seems to indicate that there is no way, no how for homeschool kids to participate in sports. Is that right? I would love to find out that I'm wrong. :D

no way on the high school sports. sorry! but high school sports in texas are governed by UIL, which has very specific rules about enrollment and grades. i've heard of some districts allowing hs students to participate in extra curricular practices, but the students cannot participate in competitions.

My oldest is a football fanatic and plans to go back to ps for high school so that he can play. The research I did seems to indicate that there is no way, no how for homeschool kids to participate in sports. Is that right? I would love to find out that I'm wrong. :D

well.....there ARE some homeschool sports leagues that compete against other private schools, but since that's not our area of interest, I'm not sure of their names or contact info. I'll see what I can find later on....

no way on the high school sports. sorry! but high school sports in texas are governed by UIL, which has very specific rules about enrollment and grades. i've heard of some districts allowing hs students to participate in extra curricular practices, but the students cannot participate in competitions.

I don't know about the Panhandle area, but here are a few I did find for homeschoolers.

Home School Athletic Association

http://www.hsaa.org/

Dallas Thunder Basketball

http://www.dallasthunder.org/index.php

Austin Area Homeschool sports

http://www.austinhomeschoolsports.org/

Royals Athletics (Austin)

http://www.royalsathletics.org/

Houston

http://www.northsidefalcons.com/

Here is a list of Panhandle Support Groups. I am sure they will have a list of homeschool Sport and Co-op groups.

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/TexasSupportPanhandle.htm

A greater problem, I think, is the decision about high school. The last time that I checked for the city in which we live (a suburb north of Dallas), it was close to an "all or nothing" decision. The school district could choose to let a student "test into" high school courses. The school district, however, reserved the right to deny credit for any and all homeschool coursework -- thus forcing a student to begin in the 9th grade, no matter what the real situation.

I know multiple people who have had this issue. I have never known of it NOT happening. I'm sure there is a school somewhere but....

Thanks for the confirmation. :tongue_smilie: We're not any worse off as far as sports than in NY. Homeschoolers in sports are a no go here too. I have found a homeschool football team in Lubbock, but it would be over an hour commute each way. I kind of wish that my kiddos liked something easier to find than football, but then again, I really like football too!

Thanks for the confirmation. :tongue_smilie: We're not any worse off as far as sports than in NY. Homeschoolers in sports are a no go here too. I have found a homeschool football team in Lubbock, but it would be over an hour commute each way. I kind of wish that my kiddos liked something easier to find than football, but then again, I really like football too!

{{you could always start up a team closer to you....}} :tongue_smilie:

So true! After living here 6 years now I have realized there is no other place on earth like TX! Got to love it.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

{{you could always start up a team closer to you....}} :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol: Did I mention that we're moving from NY to TX this fall? Oh yeah, but I forgot to mention that we're doing it along with 1800 cows (give or take), 2 dogs, a cat, a rabbit, 3 or 4 goats, 3 employees and 2 sets of parents. I think I'll have enough to keep me occupied for a couple of years. I (crazy me) actually considered it, but decided that a football team is one thing I absolutely must farm out! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm assuming that you are telling it straight, and are not pulling our respective legs with this update.

I haven't checked that part of the weather maps, but the drought conditions in parts of Texas are nearly nightmarish for farmers and ranchers. I hope the Panhandle is not that bad.

P.S. Nobody has only one rabbit !

:lol::lol::lol: Did I mention that we're moving from NY to TX this fall? Oh yeah, but I forgot to mention that we're doing it along with 1800 cows (give or take), 2 dogs, a cat, a rabbit, 3 or 4 goats, 3 employees and 2 sets of parents. I think I'll have enough to keep me occupied for a couple of years. I (crazy me) actually considered it, but decided that a football team is one thing I absolutely must farm out! :lol::lol::lol:
Edited by Orthodox6

Wow!!!! Hats off to you!!!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

oooh!

we did the move from TX --> NY -->TX. but w/o all the animals. ;)

good luck moving all that!

Why did I just get a mental picture of Jed Clampett and "Granny" from The Beverly Hillbillies??:lol:

Color.jpg

A bill has been introduced in the TX House several times to give homeschoolers the right to participate in sports and extracurricular activities in high school. It's never passed yet though, mostly because homeschoolers in TX are conflicted on the issue, many folks worrying that increased access will lead to increased oversight of homeschoolers. And we tend to cherish our freedom to homeschool however we wish. :D

However, every year I see more and more homeschool sports associations. Many teams compete in a league made up of other private schools (since homeschoolers are considered private schools in texas). I've seen leagues in different areas of the state for almost any high school sport, and can only imagine the numbers continuing to grow. There was even a large-scale, state-wide homeschool track meet held near us recently. I've also heard that some private schools will allow homeschoolers to enroll on their sports teams. My kids are still young, so we still play in the city leagues and such, but if any of them want to continue playing in high school, I am very hopeful that the resources will be available for them to do so.

Why did I just get a mental picture of Jed Clampett and "Granny" from The Beverly Hillbillies??:lol:

Color.jpg

Because that's pretty much how it's going down! The cows, no problem - people do that for a living. Everything else is going to take several moving vans, a cattle trailer, a camper, and a couple of pick-ups. I don't want to hijack this thread though, other than to say that the freedom in TX in all areas of life is one of the bigger reasons we're moving there. Your freedom to homeschool without interference is just one good example.

We weren't born in TX, but we're getting there as fast as we can!!! :D