Menu

Our parakeet flew out the front door.

:crying::crying: Our sweet parakeet flew away today. She flew right out the front door as the baby's physical therapist was leaving. It was so awful to see. My heart feels heavy even thinking about it.

Professor Tweety is a sweet bird. She is finger trained and can even ride a skateboard. She loves being with the family and especially enjoys playing Uno - or at least grabbing the cards out of our hands. We miss her terribly.

We have her cage outside on top of the van hoping she will fand it and come home. We have her favorite toy - the one she always slept on - on the back deck. I am praying for her miraculous return. If only she would be happily waiting in her cage when we wake in the morning.

She has been spotted a few times. My family and my neighbors have seen her on our fence and in a few trees around us. She seems happy at least.

our bird escaped when i was a kid. the nieghbors and my dad tracked him with his cage and coaxed him back in. they don't go very far, i don't think. also, they are prey for other birds, so maybe go try to coax him back home soon! i hope you can get him back!

When I was a kid, I read a book where this happened to a family. They put the parakeet's cage in the middle of a big white sheet in the back yard. It was said that the bird can easily see the cage that way, and so they'll go back to the cage.

This was a fiction book, mind you, but that's what they did.

Hope your bird comes home, soon.

My 5 year old ds just spotted her in the front yard. We put her favorite bread crusts out, and she was eating one! Then a black bird chased her away, but we saw her go into a tree. When my dd calls her, she answers. (DD has been yelling her lating chants because the bird likes them. I think the neighbors are wondering.) She is staying hidden though. We turned on the hose to a trickle of water because she likes running water. My oldest dd is getting a white sheet to put in the yard and see if that helps Tweety spot home.

I'm so sorry. I hope you are able to get her back.:grouphug:

When we first married we had a hand fed cocketiel. One morning as a friend was leaving our apartment he flew out the door. We were sure he was gone. Several hours later it was raining when MIL stopped by for a visit. She comes in and says there is a bird outside that sounds exactly like him. So DH went out and followed the sound. The bird loved to sit on the brim of DH's hat, so DH held his hat up and started whistling "Bridge over the River Kwai" (the birds favorite tune to whistle). He flew down and landed on DH's brim. He just seemed so relieved to find one of his people. He was wet, hungry and miserable, but very happy to be home again.

My 5 year old ds just spotted her in the front yard. We put her favorite bread crusts out, and she was eating one! Then a black bird chased her away, but we saw her go into a tree. When my dd calls her, she answers. (DD has been yelling her lating chants because the bird likes them. I think the neighbors are wondering.) She is staying hidden though. We turned on the hose to a trickle of water because she likes running water. My oldest dd is getting a white sheet to put in the yard and see if that helps Tweety spot home.

How is it going? Did she come back?

We let ours hang outside in their cage and DD opened the door and forgot to close it so all 3 flew away about 1 month ago. After 5 hours both females came back, but the male never returned. Good luck I hope she comes back.

Edited by Melenie

Guest dltc96

I have been reading for a couple of weeks, but I have not posted anything yet. Still, there was something inside me that just had to respond to this post.

On March 13th of this year we had a similar thing happen. My FIL was coming to visit for my son's birthday and we were doing the deep house cleaning that we always do before he comes. I decided that I had had enough, and the cage needed thoroughly cleaned this time. I took it outside, took the bottom off, and set it on the deck so that Sky (our parakeet) could enjoy the fresh air while I scrubbed the bottom under the hose. I know, what a dumb thing to do! Nevertheless, it made more sense to me, in my sleep deprived mind, than leaving her flying around the house where someone might accidentally open the door and let her out. :confused: Well, we were also dog sitting for my sister and while my dogs are quite used to the bird, hers was not. Sky squawked, and the dog ran into the cage and knocked it over, releasing the bird who, in a panic, flew off. My daughter cried and I felt horrible. We waited two days and she never came back.

I felt so guilty that DH allowed me to use his birthday money to buy the kids a new bird. Instead of one though, we bought two. Five days later DH showed up one morning during work hours, and he had a surprise in his hand. Sky!! She had survived sub freezing temperatures, foxes, birds, and a lack of food for three days before she flew into a neighbors house! A co-worker had seen a sign advertising a found parakeet and was joking about it when DH admitted that we had lost a bird. Boy were we shocked. Now we had three birds in a two bird cage. The new birds were not happy to see an invader in their home, and Sky was definitely put out about the trespassers in hers! We had to buy a new cage and ended up with a fourth bird (because the kids said sky needed a new friend so she would not feel left out). It actually has worked out o.k. They are all friends now, but this just goes to show you what "mommy guilt" can do! :tongue_smilie:

I really hope your bird comes back!

Edited by dltc96

They are all friends now, but this just goes to show you what "mommy guilt" can do! :tongue_smilie:

What a great story -- and I had to laugh at the "mommy guilt" part, because I'm the same way!

Welcome to the forum -- I hope you'll start posting more often! :001_smile:

Cat

She has been spotted a few times. My family and my neighbors have seen her on our fence and in a few trees around us. She seems happy at least.

I know nothing about those kind of birds but can you try to lure her back with a special treat. Perhaps leave her favorite food in the cage??? Open a window wide and have the treat right inside?

How territorial are these birds?

You might be sure to place an ad in your local newspaper that you have a lost bird. There's a chance that someone else might catch her, but have no idea who she belongs to.

My girls found a ringneck parakeet at the park one day that we caught. We kept her for nearly a week and on the last day of our ad in the paper, the owners called us and picked her up. She was a $600 bird - the guy had her on his shoulder while barbecuing (apparently, they did this a lot, and she never flew away until that day...)

When we had the ad in the paper, we received probably 40 calls from owners of lost birds! LOL

Tweety has not returned or been seen in a few days.

In an interesting turn of events we have a parakeet in her cage. A neighbor had seen her cage in the yard in an attempt to lure her home. Today the neighbor came over and told me there was a blue parakeet on her deck. The bird was very tame. She wondered if it was ours. It is not our bird, but it hopped right onto the cage. The poor little guy was so scared. It ate more than I have ever seen a bird eat, checked out the swing, and sat on the porch and started to fall asleep. It's been very quiet and still. It seems exhausted.

I have been checking lost and found ads and asking around. So far I haven't found the owner.

It's just so very ironic that we would find a parakeet the same week ours gets out.

I haven't read all the other posts...I am sorry for your loss, however...when my husband was growing up, he and his brothers were helping his dad put on a new roof and a little parakeet flew right up and landed on his dad's shoulder. This parakeet became their pet and brought them all a great deal of joy. I know you will miss your pet, but maybe you could think of this possible happy ending to your loss.