Menu

Completely overwhelmed by 7th grade choices

sassenach

Obsessing over these choices is starting to become a full time job. DD has been hsed since 3rd grade. From the beginning, we've used SL and MUS. We've bounced around a bit with language arts, but this last year we used Writing tales and Abeka pretty successfully.

Our plan is to HS for 2 more years and then public school for high school. I just read through the logic recommendations in WTM and I am so confused about next year.

Some of what is rolling through my head (in no particular order)-

MATH- pre algebra, do I stick with MUS? Do I go for another curriculum? Is MUS enough for pre alg and Alg 1?

History- In light of what I've learned from WTM, I feel like SL is imbalanced. I love the book selection, but we have NEVER finished a core on time. It's just too much, especially the RAs. I am not terribly committed to the uber history focus ala WTM. I'm not enthusiastic about pouring over original sources. I'd like to see dd do the outlining and more of the written summaries (I'd like this in history and science). I'm not sure if I should try to modify SL or just add some SL books to another program. I've looked at TOG (It seems very time intensive to me, but our library has a huge portion of the books that they recommend) and History Odyssey(Can I keep this interesting enough?). I'd like to do ancients next year.

Science- We've done all sorts of programs in the past. I'd like to do a general science next year. I'm considering going the text book + interesting experiments route. I'm considering BJU. This subject doesn't stress me out, because it's a natural interest and somehow we always find something to work on.

Writing- I have IEW TWSS and plan on implementing it. I plan on looking at IEW's ancients program at the convention.

Grammar- I'm really not sure. I like having a separate grammar program and dd likes programs that are heavy on diagramming. I'm pretty sure we're done with Abeka, due to no one recommending it after 6th grade. I'm still going to look at it at the convention. We only use the grammar portions. I've also looked over CLE (it's a strong possibility), R & S (not my cuppa), and GWG (also a possibility).

It's crazy to me that after this many years of hsing, I could be in a place where I have no idea what to do next year. Add to this a whopping dose of BURN OUT and bad attitudes (myself included) and I'm really not in the mood to sort this all out. I'm burdened to put some more fun into our days, and also to ready dd for public school. She's not behind, but I'd say my writing expectations need to be ramped up.

I'm looking for ANY and ALL input. I will be at a convention in 3 weeks, and I'm really hoping to make some decisions. Thanks!!

There are a couple of threads about 7th grade curriculum. You could look at those and see if anything strikes your fancy.

I've never done MUS, so I don't know how to answer that question. But have you looked at CLE for math? I'm not sure what their grammar is like, but you might want to look it over---unless you wwant secular.

As is, HO would be a big shock to your system coming from Sonlight. Have you thought about using it with some of the Sonlight Core 6 readers? We are doing Ancients Level 2, and we really like it, but I add in a lot of extra reading to make it more interesting. It isn't hard to substitute or add in things, as long as you know what you want to do that with. You would also need to have worked on outlining before you start this (like in Rod & Staff English) or you would probably need to buy an outlining workbook to help you along, or at least we did! HO provides great structure, though, and we love the mapwork, which is all included. And it does not take over your whole day or whole week to do it.

Best wishes!

As someone who always has to research, I can tell you that TRISMS may be indeed a good program for your dc. Rainbow Science sounds like a good fit for you as well, as the text is clear and to the point and everything for the labs is included. As an alternative, there's always Apologia too.

Good luck :)

I would contact the school you are going to be sending your dc to for high school. Find out what their requirements are and tailor your program to meet their needs. You can bet they do not use a literature approach, so you might want to transition into workbooks/textbooks to prepare dc for the different learning style.

If it is a christian school, they probably use one or more of the major curriculum houses, so you could just buy their 7th grade set. For instance, one of our local christian schools uses Abeka language arts and history, saxon math, and BJU science.

If it is a public school, then get their scope and sequence and make it fit. If you could get both the 7th grade and 9th grade info, then you could nail down exactly what the goals must be to prepare.

HTH

sorry, I just read you post again and saw you were planning on public school.

I wouldnt do pre-algebra or algebra 1 this early. Our local high schools do algebra 1 in 9th grade. Again, I would get info from the school to make sure everything transitioned smoothly.

For the most part, I'd stick with the programs that have worked for you in the past. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If MUS is do-able and working, stick with it. If Abeka grammar is working, even if it's not necessarily recomended, stick with it. You do need to ramp up writing. I'd make that your focus for the coming year. I don't use Sonlight, but if you have found it enjoyable and do-able, I'd continue along with it, adapting as needed.

I was fretting about 7th grade last summer, too. I'd done high school & elementary school, but realized I'd never taught middle school!

The biggest thing for me is to transition them a bit in 7th. Things like independent assignments, a test or two, a report, looking at literature differently, setting up simple experiments. I realize now that we slowly worked into those things over the year. Somehow last summer I was thinking I needed to be hard-line about my expectations or the transition wouldn't happen. But kids get older & start transforming before your eyes!

As far as your history thoughts, to me history is where I teach my kids how to think through all the riff-raff and opinions and world views out there. It's how I teach my values in context. That's why it ranks up there with math & language arts. (Of course, history is interwoven with Biblical history in my case.)

As for the pre-algebra, I think it's a good idea, since schools in my area start algebra in 8th or 9th depending on achievement level, and if she needs extra time she'll have it. MUS isn't the toughest program out there but at this point I'd either stick with what's working or move to what she'll be using in high school, because I can't think of a "pre-algebra" that shines on its own.

Well, I just wanted to say that I remember being in your shoes and we've made it thru 7th grade :tongue_smilie:

Have you thought about doing the 4-day programs for SL? Then you would have more time for your kids to do some of that outlining and written summaries etc... Or consider doing a core over 18 months or 2 years. You get the great books at a pace that's more workable for you.

Merry :-)

Obsessing over these choices is starting to become a full time job. DD has been hsed since 3rd grade. From the beginning, we've used SL and MUS. We've bounced around a bit with language arts, but this last year we used Writing tales and Abeka pretty successfully.

Our plan is to HS for 2 more years and then public school for high school. I just read through the logic recommendations in WTM and I am so confused about next year.

Some of what is rolling through my head (in no particular order)-

MATH- pre algebra, do I stick with MUS? Do I go for another curriculum? Is MUS enough for pre alg and Alg 1?

I would stick with what is working. It seems to me that the longer I homeschool, the more I realize that its with materials that I stick with that results in learning for my kids.

History- In light of what I've learned from WTM, I feel like SL is imbalanced. I love the book selection, but we have NEVER finished a core on time. It's just too much, especially the RAs. I am not terribly committed to the uber history focus ala WTM. I'm not enthusiastic about pouring over original sources. I'd like to see dd do the outlining and more of the written summaries (I'd like this in history and science). I'm not sure if I should try to modify SL or just add some SL books to another program. I've looked at TOG (It seems very time intensive to me, but our library has a huge portion of the books that they recommend) and History Odyssey(Can I keep this interesting enough?). I'd like to do ancients next year.

Drop whatever is working and just work to a minimum. This way history is still getting done. And I won't feel guilty about it because the mere fact that you are doing something consistently means that your kids are learning (whether they show it or not).

Science- We've done all sorts of programs in the past. I'd like to do a general science next year. I'm considering going the text book + interesting experiments route. I'm considering BJU. This subject doesn't stress me out, because it's a natural interest and somehow we always find something to work on.

I would go with a text and just do that to start. Don't even worry about experiments or adding supplement. The hardest part for me is to start and the main reason I drop a material is when I get overwhelm with the amount of materials I start with. But if I start a curriculum with a plain simple single text, and just trod along day by day, before I know it we are covering chapters and actually finish the book at the end of the year.

Writing- I have IEW TWSS and plan on implementing it. I plan on looking at IEW's ancients program at the convention.

I started with SWI B with my kids and I am not worried anymore if I'm doing it right. I just want to start it and stop dreaming of starting.

Grammar- I'm really not sure. I like having a separate grammar program and dd likes programs that are heavy on diagramming. I'm pretty sure we're done with Abeka, due to no one recommending it after 6th grade. I'm still going to look at it at the convention. We only use the grammar portions. I've also looked over CLE (it's a strong possibility), R & S (not my cuppa), and GWG (also a possibility).

Even if it's not the perfect grammar book but if you stick with one, your child will still learn a lot more grammar under your care compared with what an average public schooled child get.

It's crazy to me that after this many years of hsing, I could be in a place where I have no idea what to do next year. Add to this a whopping dose of BURN OUT and bad attitudes (myself included) and I'm really not in the mood to sort this all out. I'm burdened to put some more fun into our days, and also to ready dd for public school. She's not behind, but I'd say my writing expectations need to be ramped up.

It's not crazy to me at all. I, too, have an intense painful time of rebelling against this whole idea of homeschooling but when I turned it into an occasion of thanksgiving, that I can actually homeschool my kids, with my husband allowing me to stay at home, I made a reverse 180 degrees and choose to be thankful because I know this time will soon be over someday and I didn't even get the chance to enjoy. Sniff, sniff, sniff.

I'm looking for ANY and ALL input. I will be at a convention in 3 weeks, and I'm really hoping to make some decisions. Thanks!!

I am so envious of everyone who can go to a convention but at the same time thankful because if I go to one, I'll come home with a bunch of material that I can't possibly use with my kids.

As is, HO would be a big shock to your system coming from Sonlight. Have you thought about using it with some of the Sonlight Core 6 readers? We are doing Ancients Level 2, and we really like it, but I add in a lot of extra reading to make it more interesting. It isn't hard to substitute or add in things, as long as you know what you want to do that with. You would also need to have worked on outlining before you start this (like in Rod & Staff English) or you would probably need to buy an outlining workbook to help you along, or at least we did! HO provides great structure, though, and we love the mapwork, which is all included. And it does not take over your whole day or whole week to do it.

Best wishes!

Thank you so much for all of this info. It's super helpful!

For the most part, I'd stick with the programs that have worked for you in the past. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If MUS is do-able and working, stick with it. If Abeka grammar is working, even if it's not necessarily recomended, stick with it. You do need to ramp up writing. I'd make that your focus for the coming year. I don't use Sonlight, but if you have found it enjoyable and do-able, I'd continue along with it, adapting as needed.

Thank you for this. I really do like a lot of what we do. I think you're right about sticking with what has been working for us. Thanks,

I was fretting about 7th grade last summer, too. I'd done high school & elementary school, but realized I'd never taught middle school!

The biggest thing for me is to transition them a bit in 7th. Things like independent assignments, a test or two, a report, looking at literature differently, setting up simple experiments. I realize now that we slowly worked into those things over the year. Somehow last summer I was thinking I needed to be hard-line about my expectations or the transition wouldn't happen. But kids get older & start transforming before your eyes!

As far as your history thoughts, to me history is where I teach my kids how to think through all the riff-raff and opinions and world views out there. It's how I teach my values in context. That's why it ranks up there with math & language arts. (Of course, history is interwoven with Biblical history in my case.)

As for the pre-algebra, I think it's a good idea, since schools in my area start algebra in 8th or 9th depending on achievement level, and if she needs extra time she'll have it. MUS isn't the toughest program out there but at this point I'd either stick with what's working or move to what she'll be using in high school, because I can't think of a "pre-algebra" that shines on its own.

Well, I just wanted to say that I remember being in your shoes and we've made it thru 7th grade :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for reassuring me. This is the type of stuff my dh just doesn't understand! 7th grade really is different. You've given me a lot to think about. I so appreciate your commiseration.

I am so envious of everyone who can go to a convention but at the same time thankful because if I go to one, I'll come home with a bunch of material that I can't possibly use with my kids.

Thank you so much for your post. You are so right, most of the battle is just getting it started! I have definitely formed a habit of starting the year off with much more going on and then dwindling it down to the bare minimum.

The convention is a must for me this year I really need some inspiration. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Thanks for all of the help ladies, it's so nice to know I'm not alone! I started to reply to each of you, but I'm losing steam.

I think what I've gotten out of everyone is

1) I'm sticking with MUS- dd and I both love it and I'm not going to fuss with what's working.

2) I'm still going to check out other grammar options, but I'm not going to be afraid to stick with Abeka.

3) Still not sure about history. I checked out Trisms, but I need to go back and take some more time on the website. I'm really not sure what to do still. My original plan was to do SL 6 and use Truthquest for commentary. Now I know that I need to get more written work factored in. I can continue with that plan and just modify SL. I could go with HO, and add SL readers and RA (and TQ). I could actually print up the TOG samples and figure out if that will work.....hmm. No matter what, the 2 things I need are more meaningful writing and good living books.

What I'm wondering about myself is if it will be easier for me to modify SL (because I'm familiar with it) or if I'll be prone to falling back into box checking mode and ditching my modifications. Part of me thinks that it would be easier to start with something totally new.

More to ponder. Thanks so much for the input ladies!

I have an unorthodox recommendation, but it is tried and true, and that is to enjoy those last years before the grind of high school and follow your interests in history, literature and science. You should of course still focus on tidying up the basics in math, grammar and writing, but this is the last chance to really follow those rabbit trails and read whatever you'd like.

I did this with both my boys and have no regrets. High school, whether home school or public school, is a time for college entrance requirements, AP or other college prep courses, and for some kids it is a time of starting to specialize in their own area of interest. Middle school is a time of raging hormones, of kids being stuck between childhood and young adulthood and they aren't always ready for what some curricula throws at them. I found that reading aloud or listening together to audio books was a way for us to rekindle that cozy feeling from read aloud time during their younger childhood, and it was a way for me to make sure they were exposed to some great literature. We discussed, we pulled out atlases and history encyclopedias to put things in context and most of all we enjoyed the time very much.

For science, we've watched good science programs on PBS and Discovery, listened to podcasts of science programming like NPR's Science Friday, kept good science reading material around the house. We've done Project Feed Watch through Cornell University, played with a chemistry set and still go to the zoo and other science museums.

I also think if you are facing burn out, this would be a great route to take. Just make a list of books that you'd enjoy sharing with your kids, and start reading!

I don't know if you're shooting for Latin or not, but if so, The Latin Road to English Grammar works well to fortify grammar and also intro. Latin nicely.

As for history, TOG can be as light or heavy as you choose. For 5 children, I spend about 2 hours total preparing for each weekly cycle. I have kids in 3/4 levels, so I really have to be ready. That time does not include the copying or printing I do each summer so it's all laid out for me and I can simply prepare and order books via library. The set-up of the program allows prep. time to be easy, straightforward, and as light or heavy as I feel. Sometimes we read more, depending on topic interest.

It also has the Writing Aides program, which may or may not correlate with your history studies, i.e. some assignments are topical while others. like a state notebook are simply timely. This program has brought us into a large variety of writing genres, with clear instruction for pupil and teacher in the writing aides book. The graphic organizers have helped us all understand that writing is a process, and we are enjoying the process now more than ever.

If dd is heading to ps for high school, I'd say MUS pre-alg and alg will prepare her for an algebra course in high school. I find the program really helpful b/c it reduces my teaching time, teaches great shortcuts, and the kiddos like Mr. Steve. I will say, however, that after these programs, I do plan on working through a tougher program for their high school credits of alg.

HTH. Best wishes.

I have an unorthodox recommendation, but it is tried and true, and that is to enjoy those last years before the grind of high school and follow your interests in history, literature and science. You should of course still focus on tidying up the basics in math, grammar and writing, but this is the last chance to really follow those rabbit trails and read whatever you'd like.

I did this with both my boys and have no regrets. High school, whether home school or public school, is a time for college entrance requirements, AP or other college prep courses, and for some kids it is a time of starting to specialize in their own area of interest. Middle school is a time of raging hormones, of kids being stuck between childhood and young adulthood and they aren't always ready for what some curricula throws at them. I found that reading aloud or listening together to audio books was a way for us to rekindle that cozy feeling from read aloud time during their younger childhood, and it was a way for me to make sure they were exposed to some great literature. We discussed, we pulled out atlases and history encyclopedias to put things in context and most of all we enjoyed the time very much.

For science, we've watched good science programs on PBS and Discovery, listened to podcasts of science programming like NPR's Science Friday, kept good science reading material around the house. We've done Project Feed Watch through Cornell University, played with a chemistry set and still go to the zoo and other science museums.

I also think if you are facing burn out, this would be a great route to take. Just make a list of books that you'd enjoy sharing with your kids, and start reading!

This is a great reminder for me. I feel like the last 2 years have been just about slugging through material. We had a cross country move, which took 5 months before we were settled in our own place. Then 10 months later, we moved again. I'm desperate to make this fun again. At the same time, I know that she needs to make progress in the area of writing about what she has learned.

Today I started looking over Winter Promise. It seems like it's lighter than SL, with maybe a little more fun scheduled in. Something that I could possibly add a little more meat to and call it a day.

My problem with modifying SL is that SL is meaty, but in a different way than we need right now. So I feel like I'd have to subtract one kind of meat and add another. Doable, but may take more intuition than I have to offer.

I don't know if you're shooting for Latin or not, but if so, The Latin Road to English Grammar works well to fortify grammar and also intro. Latin nicely.

As for history, TOG can be as light or heavy as you choose. For 5 children, I spend about 2 hours total preparing for each weekly cycle. I have kids in 3/4 levels, so I really have to be ready. That time does not include the copying or printing I do each summer so it's all laid out for me and I can simply prepare and order books via library. The set-up of the program allows prep. time to be easy, straightforward, and as light or heavy as I feel. Sometimes we read more, depending on topic interest.

It also has the Writing Aides program, which may or may not correlate with your history studies, i.e. some assignments are topical while others. like a state notebook are simply timely. This program has brought us into a large variety of writing genres, with clear instruction for pupil and teacher in the writing aides book. The graphic organizers have helped us all understand that writing is a process, and we are enjoying the process now more than ever.

If dd is heading to ps for high school, I'd say MUS pre-alg and alg will prepare her for an algebra course in high school. I find the program really helpful b/c it reduces my teaching time, teaches great shortcuts, and the kiddos like Mr. Steve. I will say, however, that after these programs, I do plan on working through a tougher program for their high school credits of alg.

HTH. Best wishes.

Funny that you mentioned Latin Road. I actually own that full program (the old version). It was given to me last year. SWB writes in TWTM that there isn't enough grammar for it to replace a grammar program. Do you think that it would be enough grammar if I added something like Daily grams? We are finishing up Lively Latin 1, and we've really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all of the TOG feedback!

Have you thought about doing the 4-day programs for SL? Then you would have more time for your kids to do some of that outlining and written summaries etc... Or consider doing a core over 18 months or 2 years. You get the great books at a pace that's more workable for you.

Merry :-)

3) Still not sure about history. I checked out Trisms, but I need to go back and take some more time on the website. I'm really not sure what to do still. My original plan was to do SL 6 and use Truthquest for commentary. Now I know that I need to get more written work factored in. I can continue with that plan and just modify SL. I could go with HO, and add SL readers and RA (and TQ). I could actually print up the TOG samples and figure out if that will work.....hmm. No matter what, the 2 things I need are more meaningful writing and good living books.

What I'm wondering about myself is if it will be easier for me to modify SL (because I'm familiar with it) or if I'll be prone to falling back into box checking mode and ditching my modifications. Part of me thinks that it would be easier to start with something totally new.

I'm partial to Merry's suggestion since this is what we are doing: Core 6 over two years. It is really easy to take the four-day schedule and plan for two days a week. Then if the reading is quite long (or real life rears its ugly head!) we have other days to fit it in. And for you this would mean you could still check off all the little boxes, lol. (I actually crossed out the ones we weren't going to be doing so they wouldn't be taunting me, sitting there unchecked, lol.)

We started IEW this year, too, with TWSS and Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons which we worked on 4-5 days a week. For next year I think we'll pick and chose between IEW's Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons and using the IEW method with the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History that is scheduled in Core 6.

I am so happy with the increased writing we did with IEW, and loved the fabulous books from Sonlight. It was a great year and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. Anyway, that's my biased .02! Good luck!

We are using the new Diana Waring curriculum for 7th grade history. I like the fact that we can listen to the cd's together in the car, or while doing lunch, and I love that this curriculum is well laid out, yet "outside the box." It definitely has the fun factor, as well as an emphasis on Christian discipleship, both of which gel with me. I think the CD's take some of the load off Mom's shoulders. The Student Book is written to the child, so that is nice as well. We are using "Ancient Civilizations and the Bible". Just to throw something else in the mix!

If you're having a hard time getting through SL Cores, maybe you should look at Oak Meadow. They do ancient and medieval in year 6 and finish off world history in year 7, much like SL's Cores 6 and 7. You could still add in some of the readers and/or readalouds from SL to round things out.

I am thinking of having my youngest do Oak Meadow 6 and 7 in place of SL Cores 6 and 7. She's dyslexic, so I think it will be a better fit. SL didn't have enough reading for my two older girls, so I always had to add a lot more readers. My youngest has difficulty keeping up with SL's reading schedule even though she's using a Core two years below grade level and well within her reading ability.

I used Abeka with my older son all the way through and I thought it served him well. It is my current plan to continue it with my younger son all the way through, too....

I can't really address your other questions as I put together my own stuff for history, lit, etc., rather than using someone else's plan.

I do think that BJU has very sound science programming....

Guest Coppelia

As a former public H.S. chemistry and biology teacher, I was so picky that I never thought I'd find a science curriculum. I feel I have reviewed everything to exhaustion. We went with Apologia General Science because it appealed so much to my history-loving son. It's written very conversationally with memorable anticdotes and simple labs. Though it hails from a creationist perspective, it does not ignore the other side of the coin. Plus, I love the emphasis on the scientific method and what science really is and can do. All-in-all it is a good fit for developing his critical thinking skills, reasoning ability, and scientific curiosity.