Menu

I'm having a hard time deciding what is best regarding what to do with our dogs.

We have 2 American Eskimo dogs. We got them as puppies...one in 1-99 (Maggie), the other in 12-99 (Chewy). They are half-siblings. I was newly pregnant when we got the first one, and then we got the second to help occupy the first. Our only requirements then was that they be good with rabbits (or at least not be bread to hunt them) and good with kids. We didn't have the reality of kids yet, and had no idea how busy our lives would become.

American Eskimos are very, very energetic (they are right up there with Border Collies). They have been wonderful with the boys, but don't really play with the boys, if that makes sense. The boys like them, but the dogs jump a lot and are kind of spastic, and since the boys are on the small side, they don't attempt to engage the dogs often.

They spend most of their days in our backyard, where they seem happy enough. They bark quite often, and we've used bark collars with some success. When they won't stop barking and it's during the day, they go into the garage. At night they sleep tied up in the kitchen.

They cannot have run of the house because they like to mark all the corners in the house, especially in the bedrooms and the couch. They also shed like crazy.

When we got them, I thought I'd have time to train them and groom them and turn them into good housedogs. Then we had 5 boys. I never imagined having dogs that lived outside, and I've longed for an indoor dog. I don't have time to groom them like they need. The reality is that I will probably never have time to train them like they need, and they need someone who can spend a lot of intensive time with them.

We travel a few weeks every year, and at our old home we were able to leave them home with our next door neighbor feeding them and watching them. That's impossible now, since we moved. So we now have to board them, which is quite expensive. They cannot come with us due to their size (we have a minivan that's full without an additional 50 pounds of shedding, spastic dogs).

A few years ago, we decided we would rehome them (dh was home with the dogs, I was in TN with the boys). Then my dh dropped them off at the boarder's for the first time so he could come get the boys and me from TN. By the time he got to TN he decided he couldn't let Maggie go (he hates Chewy, the younger one, but Maggie adores him, and in theory, he adores Maggie, but has no more time than I do).

The dogs seem happy enough with us, they have each other, and they have a backyard to run in. But the reality is they aren't a good fit for our family. The boys and I would both love a smaller housedog (you might have noticed all my posts about Pugs). I've just been researching for the future so we don't make the same mistake twice.

Now for the conundrum. Dh has told me I can find another home for Maggie and Chewy. If we did this, we would get another dog. I feel like I'm betraying Maggie and Chewy (although I've never even been close to being their master). I'm being selfish, but I also feel like they'd be happier with someone who had time to train them, who might run with them, who would engage their brains. I think about them being in another home and waiting for us to come get them for the rest of their lives. I don't know if I can do it. The boys would be slightly sad to see them go, but they really want a smaller dog that can be part of the family.

How do I decide what to do? Do any of you have any advice? Please, don't bash me. My emotions are very tender over this, but I really want to do what is right. I'm just torn on what would be best :(.

If you can find someone to take them....do it! No need to feel bad about it....dogs are dogs....they are very adaptable! Remember....dogs do not have human emotions....

Lives change....and yours has.....so you need to adapt too!

Good luck!

Tammy

I can completely appreciate where you're coming from on this subject. We went through this about 6 years ago with a 1 1/2 yo German Sheperd Dog we had.

We ended up giving him to some firends of ours. Unfortunately that wasn't a good fit - they had cats. They, however, contacted a breed specific rescue league and he ended up in a very loving home. The new owner kept in contact with me for a while and gave me updates, etc.

Your dogs are a little older and have been together a long time. If you contact a rescue league and explain the situation to them, they often times will try to place the dogs together. I don't know where you live, but if you Google "American Eskimo Rescue" a list of different ones wil come up.

That said - even if you can't place them together they will be o.k. It sounds hard, but think of how they would adapt to a new home if they were strays.

I've had dogs all my life - pure breds and pound puppies - dogs are dogs - they are very adaptable. Would they miss you for a while - probably, but in the end they'll be fine.

On that note I'm going to send my 2 dogs that are "playing" in the house outside.

Good luck-

Peggy

Please, don't bash me. My emotions are very tender over this, but I really want to do what is right. I'm just torn on what would be best :(.

Honey, I could never bash you. I found myself in the same situation you're in. Two dogs who were not meshing well with my children at all. They too deserved better.

It ripped my heart out. I never cried so hard in my life as when I gave those dogs away.

But,

It's been one of the best decisions I ever made. The dogs are happy. My home is much better off. Despite my three day depressive episode after letting the dogs go, everyone won in this situation.

So, go in peace. Let the dogs go.

Hi JudoMom,

It's clear to me that you are ready for the dogs to go. Do you have an American Eskimo rescue or Husky rescue near you? If they look anything like purebreds (not sure if they are), they will go quickly to a new home. You can rest assured that a good rescue will match the dogs carefully to new owners (or to an owner, if someone wants both--it might help them bond to their humans if they are separated).

Even a good no-kill shelter would be a good option. I'd specify either "older children" or no children (you'll get more interest if you go the first route).

It they are not working out for you family it will probably be a win-win situation if you find them a new home. Keeping them together would be my big priority. I have seen this happen with American Eskimos often. They are a difficult breed to own for some reason. I don't know why, as I am not that familiar with them. You might want to check out if their is a American Eskimo rescue organization. Usually these are a group of people very dedicated to that breed of dog and will go the extra mile to find them a great home.

When I was showing Sheltie I aften hfound new homes for dogs that were several years old. I think they always ended up better off because they were the center of attention in the new home and not just part of the group. Note this is some of why I no longer show dogs. I now prefer to just have one dog you it spoiled rotten.

I couldn't separate her from our Aussie. I just felt like we made the commitment, and we needed to stick with it.

I think, personally, at your dogs' ages, you should keep them. They aren't unhappy, and they aren't young. They have been with you a long time. They have one another. They are past the puppy stage. Parting with them only to get another dog seems like it doesn't make sense. You will be right back in the same situation. It doesn't seem fair to those that are used to being there to give them away only to get another.

Now, if they truly are NOT good with your children or something, or have been aggressive, that is different.

If you do rehome them, PLEASE find a rescue that deals with that breed, or an individual that will take them both. After this long in a home, a shelter environment would be really tough on them.

that your husband is 100% behind the decision to find them a new home. If he just recently told you it was ok, I would wait a bit before actively searching, just to make certain that he is on board and not trying to tell you something you want to hear. If you think he is really ready, then have no reservations about it. I hope everything works out for all! :)

I won't try to talk you in to keeping the dogs, and I don't think it's awful to find them another home. If that's what you want to do.

But you sound a little undecided. So another thing to consider is that these dogs are 9 years old. They have already lived long lives. If you wait for "attrition" to occur, well, it will occur; and these dogs won't be with you forever.

Perhaps you could keep them and make a plan in your mind to get another puppy when the first of them passes away.

I have a 14 year old dog, right now; and she's the first dog in my life to live that long. The best dog I ever had died at age 5.

I'm not saying that's great or that you should look forward to their dying; I'm just reminding you that they will. And if you decide to keep the dogs, it's not a 20-year committment.

I've been where you are with not having the proper time for our animals. Finding a better home would be a very reasonable thing to do. What concerned me about your post was your desire for a new dog. I've raised many indoor pets and they require much more training than an outdoor dog. It's really like having a toddler. Potty training can take months, and to do properly requires you to go outside with the dog to potty for several weeks to give praise for going in the right spot. You or one of your kids will have to go with the dog when it needs to go, not when you want it to go. You'll need to keep it blocked in the same room with you or carry it on a leash with you in the house to prevent accidents or to catch it when they happen. Then there are accidents to clean up. Also you have to train them to not chew on things. Then add in obedience training. There's also the inconvenience of not being able to be gone from home all day, because a pup needs to be let outside to potty.

Please know I don't mean to be harsh, but a new puppy is a lot of work and will still bring in vet bills.

Don't just turn them over to the pound. I haven't read all the other posts so maybe this has been mentioned, but if they are purebred, CALL THEIR BREED RESCUE ORGANIZATION! These are people who know the breed, love the breed, and specialize in rehabbing/retraining the dogs and placing them in screened, adoptive homes. I'm at work, and for some reason I can't get a rescue page to load, but google "American Eskimo Breed Rescue" and you'll find lots of hits. Just be sure you call one that's affilliated with a national Eskie club.

Hope this helps!

I would go through an Eskie rescue organization (they are purebreds). I would never take them to the pound or a shelter. Ever.

I would not get a new dog until I was 100% sure I could give it the proper attention and care. We weren't well informed when we got Maggie and Chewy and got in over our heads from the beginning (with their high energy & high maintenance), not to mention I was at the beginning of an almost 6 1/2 period of being pregnant or recovering from being pregnant spell and learning how to be a mom to human kids so I neglected the furry ones. I would not let that happen again.

If I was able to turn Maggie & Chewy into housedogs, I would choose that option, but I have been unsuccessful in my attempts so far. I've tried, but they seem to be too set in their ways and I don't seem to be able to change them.

Thank you for all of the kind responses. I still don't know what to do, but I am considering doing an owner relinquishment with the Eskie Breed Rescue and then being "foster parents" until they found them the perfect home.

But thank you. You guys have given me much to think about, and I'll appreciate any more responses you guys have.

I won't bash you. You've obviously given this a lot of thought and care about the future of these dogs. However, I think many of the people who've responded are kidding themselves. You have two older dogs who shed heavily, jump, and aren't housebroken. People will NOT be falling over themselves to give them a good home. I think you should let them finish their lives with you in the backyard, since they don't seem unhappy and have one another for company.

I also warn against getting another dog. Your life sounds too hectic at this stage.

Pegasus

We had looked into the breed more. He was such a cute puffball. We have an eskie. He is obnoxious! Chews everything, even dirty diapers:eek:. They are a very smart dog, highly energetic, and very immature as far as dogs go. But you know that already!

We are dog people, have had dogs, but this dog makes me want to buy a cat. My dd adores this dog, he has his moments, we'll see what happens when we move.

You are not alone! :o Sorry, not much for advice.

What a tough situation! You have my sympathy. If you really want to rehome them, I think a foster group or breed specific organization would be best. It sounds like a shelter, even a no-kill one, would be hard on these two.

Dogs do adapt. We have 2 rescues and they're very happy with us now. I think animals do go through some trauma in losing their homes at first, though. If you really want to let them go, don't be hard on yourself. If they are in a foster home, they'll be okay. Those volunteers are very devoted, loving dog-people and will try as long as it takes to place them.

But I am wondering... If you're not sure about rehoming them can you try to crate train your dogs? It would be an adjustment at first since they've had a wild run for a long time, but after all the crying & whining, they'd adjust and get the hang of it most likely. Using a crate is a must for housebreaking and it doesn't require a lot of time. Just some patience.

Obedience classes at the local PetCo or whatever last only 6 weeks, once a week. The dogs could learn a little behavior management in that time, It's just an idea, but you might want to try it before you decide for sure. Only you or your dh would have to attend and then be consistent.

Also, are the dogs spayed/neutered? It makes a difference in the way they act. Sterilized dogs are not as likely to mark (as much anyway) and the behavior sometimes calms down. Sorry if they're already fixed and it's not helping!

I think the poster who said that because of their ages, shedding and behavior problems, the dogs would be hard to place is absolutely right. It's a big decision, but I'm sure it will all work out.

Good Luck

I'm kind of into dogs right now, so your post stayed on my mind. If you decide to rehome them, you might want to contact this group:

eskierescuers.org

They are a multi-state group based in Michigan. They seem to have volunteers all over the US to help place the dogs in or near the pet's home state.

I did a little looking into the eskie breed (yes, I'm really into dogs lately!) on dogbreedinfo.com. It does seem that they need to be trained and around their people all the time in order to not become wildly out of control and "destructive". They sound like good dogs, though, and so beautiful!

The site I mentioned above did have several senior and hard to place animals listed on Petfinder.com (just type in american eskimo in the breed space and MI in the location space on the left). It sounds like the group works hard at finding the right new homes for the dogs and takes good care of them until they are placed.

So if you do decide to let go of the dogs, allow yourself to grieve a bit and then be happy and peaceful about it. It might be the best choice for your family and the dogs.

HTH and good luck in whatever you choose

Hope (a dog-lady lately)

Please know I don't mean to be harsh, but a new puppy is a lot of work and will still bring in vet bills.

instead of a puppy. The dog often is already house broken, spayed/nuetered and past the destructive puppy stage. The breed rescue people will generally give you a good reading on the temperment of the dog. They want to find a good "forever" home. They aren't the owner who may be desperate to find another home NOW. The volunteers will also sometimes start training the dog for you. For instantance, I adopted a 3yo dog allowed free run in the country. He needed to be leash trained before I got him because I live in a townhouse with basically no yard. The breed rescue volunteers taught him leash manners before I got him.

• 3 months later...
What ever happened with your eskies? Do you still have them? I remember you posting something a while back about them.

Thanks for asking.

They are still here, torturing me ;). As much as our logical minds would like to find them another home, when it comes down to it we find ourselves being too emotionally attached to them. They are good dogs (if you can get past the shedding, the peeing/marking things in the house, the barking....:lol:)-they are great with the boys, defend our property from all things intrusive, and all that good stuff.

We've resigned ourselves to keeping them until death do us part (really, they are good dogs). We've been working a bit on making them more of a part of the family, and they'll now hold still for the boys to pet them, so that's good news :001_smile:.

I only read the first few posts, but I have to tell you this story. We had two dogs that got out of their pen once and ran away. Only one dog returned. (We learned several years later that the other one had been kicked in the head by a horse - long story how I found out.) The dog that returned was so depressed that he didn't eat for a few weeks, and lost ton of weight.

And here's another story: Our dog has been to my in-laws' house several times, even stayed there overnight with us. However, we left him for a few nights last month to attend an out-of-town graduation. He threw up several times the first night. He also, as we found out several days later, had started licking himself to the point that he had a couple bald, sore spots on his belly.

Yes, most dogs will adapt, but they do have some of the "real emotions" that humans do. I have other stories, including a cat story, if any of you are interested in it!

(By the way, this is the same reason that I can't bring myself to get rid of my cats, whom I'm not really very fond of! I feel your pain!)

I agree with the posters who said that dogs will adapt to a new environment, if they are well cared for. Besides, they have each other, and that seems to be their pack, more so than your family. So, if you can rehome them together, that would be the best way to go.