Menu

Sewers where do you purchase your fabric at?

Hancock Fabrics has a buyers program. Sign-up and they send you coupons through the mail.

I shop Jo Ann's, Walmart & Hancock and always watch for sales. Also ask the sales reps for help. They often know where the best bargains are in their stores.

If you sign up for Jo-Ann's mailing, they'll send coupons out for I think 40% off (I used to be signed up, but like Hancock's better, so haven't been back to Jo-Ann's in awhile). Hancock Fabrics does the same.

I also buy fabric online, depending on what I'm looking for. Fabric.com has some good deals and sends out coupons via email.

Walmart will stop selling fabric in the next few years.

How do you know this? On the one hand, bummer. I mean, it's so much cheaper there & convenient, since we don't have a Hancock's anywhere nearby since so many of them went out of business.

On the other hand, no kidding. Have you TRIED to buy fabric there? Nobody to cut, they page somebody 3-4 times over an hour or so while you wait. Only to find out no one is working that dept. today. No one. Do they care? Nope.

Plus, WM hardly ever has what I want any more. Even something as simple as thread or a button--they're either out or they don't stock quite the right thing. And I'm not talking difficult--I went for white thread one day & they didn't have it.

My new place has a Jo Ann's. Ugh! The store is SO dirty, the people are very slow & apathetic, & the prices are much worse than Hancock's. :(

Unless JoAnn's had increased their quality, I won't buy from them. Most of the fabric I've gotten from them is garbage after one washing. I was elated when Hancock's opened up. I've also gotten fabric from Walmart, but again, same situation--very poor quality. Hobby Lobby has fabric, too, and I've had pretty good luck with that.

I buy my fabric from local quilt shops or on-line quilt shops. I have purchased some fabric from JoAnns, but not for anything that I really cared about because the quality is not that good. I use their coupons to buy batting, trim, fleece, buttons, etc, but rarely buy fabric there.

I know quilt shops can be expensive (I just dropped a bundle today on fabric for a couple quilts for my sister who is going to have a baby, really blew the budget for this month :o), but the quality is good and (most of the time) the people that work there are very helpful and knowledgable. Also, they will have a sale/clearance section where you can fabric for less.

If you want to get quality fabric for a good deal, look at on-line quilt shops. Many of them have really good clearance sections where you can get quality fabric as low as $2/yd. Usually it is more around $4-$5, but that is still a good deal on quilt shop quality fabric.

I have to go make dinner, but I will try and get back and post a few links to some on-line shops.

The new stores they are building out here do not have a fabric dept.. I asked why and they all said that they are going to stop selling it. I spoke with a lady last night that worked for WM until a few months ago, she was the Dept. Manager(at a store about 30miles away) for fabrics and she said it will be happening slowly over the next 3yrs. The store that is close to my house has a VERY small fabric area and they actually took all the fabric down to 75% off for about a month and then they brought in new fabric!! I asked them why and they said they have to get rid of what is in the distribution centers and then they will stop selling it there!

It is sad that they are doing this, even if the fabric isn't the best quality. My dd wants to learn to sew, but I can not afford the fabric if I have to go to JoAnn's.

They have closed down most of the Hancock stores around here, I will have to look and see if one might still be round!

PS. The managers are trained to cut fabric, so don't let them fool you on that!

How do you know this? On the one hand, bummer. I mean, it's so much cheaper there & convenient, since we don't have a Hancock's anywhere nearby since so many of them went out of business.

On the other hand, no kidding. Have you TRIED to buy fabric there? Nobody to cut, they page somebody 3-4 times over an hour or so while you wait. Only to find out no one is working that dept. today. No one. Do they care? Nope.

Plus, WM hardly ever has what I want any more. Even something as simple as thread or a button--they're either out or they don't stock quite the right thing. And I'm not talking difficult--I went for white thread one day & they didn't have it.

My new place has a Jo Ann's. Ugh! The store is SO dirty, the people are very slow & apathetic, & the prices are much worse than Hancock's. :(

PS. The managers are trained to cut fabric, so don't let them fool you on that!

*All* the managers? Because the day I'm talking about (it happens often, but this was the worst), even the manager was out. On vacation. So, uh...no fabric for like a week?:eek:

It's too bad WM won't be selling fabric anymore. I have had good fortune with the fabric I have bought there, and I really can't afford to buy fabric anywhere else. Not to mention that the only other store that sells fabric in town just went out of business, not that I could afford to buy from them, so I'll have to drive over an hour to get to a fabric store. I'm very tactile in my fabric selection process. I need to be able to touch and play with the fabric before I decide what I want. It's too bad WM won't be selling it anymore.

I figure that if I am going to put my time and creativity into something, I am going to use great quality fabric. I would rather make fewer things with great fabric than lots of things with not so great fabric. I love the feel of a good quality cotton.

if people would call WM's home office and tell them that they are disappointed in them deciding to do away with it, it might make a change in their decision.

I have seen a good many managers around here cutting fabric. I have asked and they said that most know how.

It's too bad WM won't be selling fabric anymore. I have had good fortune with the fabric I have bought there, and I really can't afford to buy fabric anywhere else. Not to mention that the only other store that sells fabric in town just went out of business, not that I could afford to buy from them, so I'll have to drive over an hour to get to a fabric store. I'm very tactile in my fabric selection process. I need to be able to touch and play with the fabric before I decide what I want. It's too bad WM won't be selling it anymore.

I understand about being able to afford fabric. That is why I try to buy fabric when I can get it on sale. I also only buy fabric when I need it for a project as opposed to buying for stash building (though I will buy some if I come across something that I just really love, but this is rare).

I also wanted to say that the fabric I buy at quilt shops is for quilts. If I am making a tote bag or clothing or something else, I usually hit JoAnns or Mill End Textiles.

I also understand about being tactile when it comes to fabric. I am always saying to my dh, "Oh, you have got to feel this, it is sooo soft.". :) But I have found that online shops are good about carrying quality fabric so I am ok with not being able to touch before I buy.

Anyway, I sometimes don't like answering this question because I have seen some big arguments spring up because of it (on a couple quilting lists I am on, anyway). I don't want anyone to feel like I think I am better than they are because I buy from a quilt shop. I maybe shouldn't have used the word "snob", but I did mean it in a tongue in cheek sort of way.

Ok, now I have to go and start this quilt for my sister. She is visiting this weekend and I am hoping that I can get it done by then.

First of all, please, can we call ourselves seamstresses? Sewers are, well, where the sewage goes.:D

Fabric.com is a wonderful company. When I used to sew a lot I bought huge amounts of fabric from them. Great quality, competitive prices, fast service, it is just a great company.

I like fabric.com as well. Better for you since you are GA is that they have a warehouse sale once a year. I missed it due to my move here to MN but I hear it is great! They are just a ways north of Atlanta as I remember it.

First of all, please, can we call ourselves seamstresses? Sewers are, well, where the sewage goes.:D

Thank you! I keep seeing the title to this thread, and doing a double take. :p

I'm no help unfortunately. I buy fabric at JoAnn's with the 50% off coupons, since I don't do a lot of sewing, that usually takes care of it. ;)

Anyway, I sometimes don't like answering this question because I have seen some big arguments spring up because of it (on a couple quilting lists I am on, anyway). I don't want anyone to feel like I think I am better than they are because I buy from a quilt shop. I maybe shouldn't have used the word "snob", but I did mean it in a tongue in cheek sort of way.

Oh, no offense taken. I completely understand. I haven't done too much sewing in awhile, and when I am doing a quilt for a gift, I generally buy the fabric from a quilt shop also. But I am not the best seamstress (I can't write sewer in there because I keep thinking bathrooms) in the world and am teaching myself and my girls, so I would rather not waste expensive fabric while I am learning. :) That's weird that people are so concerned where you buy your fabric (in a competitive sort of way). Seriously, give it a rest. (Them... not you.) :D

We already head to "the city" to do some grocery shopping quarterly, so I'll just have to plan ahead when it comes to sewing projects and have a list ready so I can stop at the fabric store while we're there. (Or call WM and let them know that I like their having a fabric section.)

I love fabricmartfabrics.com for high end garment fabrics. They get a lot of end bolt and end of season designer stuff. You have to watch the deals because they change weekly, but you can get some amazing pieces for cheap. I still have yards and yards of Ralph Lauren denims I bought in one of their value packs. It was something like 5 pieces per pack for $15 and each piece was supposed to be a minimum of a yard and a half but was more like 3 or 4 yards and extra wide. They are also a great place to buy buttons and zippers in bulk. Sometimes they have zipper-button bundles for $5 that are several pounds (yes pounds) of mixed buttons and around 25 various high-quality zippers.

I also like fabric.com and thaisilks.com.

They just put in a brand new Walmart by my house and it doesn't have a fabric section. It has a slightly larger craft section than older Walmarts do. I don't buy fabric very often, but the last time I did, I used Michael's coupons at Joanns. Both Michaels and Joanns take competitors coupons.

If you've heard me give this one before just bear with me.

How do I say this with enough emphasis and not come across as rudely shouting?

Don't buy inexpensive materials for your crafting and sewing, especially if you are a beginner.

Now, I'm not talking about getting quality at a good sale price; we all like to do that. I'm talking about the $2-$4 a yard stuff that is ubiquitous through out places like JoAnn's, Hancock, and Walmart. Ladies, the most expensive part of your handiwork is your time. Don't short change it with cheap goods.

A handmade dress, no matter how simple, should last for years. You are not remaking "off the rack from Target". You are making your own custom sewn garment, you are a dressmaker and you are supplying the client (yourself) with the best and most expensive clothing. Even if this is your first project and you've never sewn before, buy the best quality materials you can afford.

The true cost of a garment is averaged over the number of times it is worn. For example my night attire is washed and worn weekly, I buy the best Egyptian cotton and flannels I can mail order. I have PJ's that are 10 years old and they are still servicable and their cost overtime is far less than anything I can get at JCPenney's.

In general, I spent more per yard on the most worn items in my wardrobe, my lingerie, my pants, and skirts. I spent a medium amount on my dresses and suits, with the exception of my "funeral" suit. This suit it the one item I can count on to be well dressed for a job interview, a church service, a funeral, ect. any very formal occasion where classic tailoring will never go out of style. I spent a small fortune on this garment. I have one suit like this and it is nearly twenty year old.

I spent the least amount of money on my blouses and shirts. Their styles tend to come and go with current trends. I put a trendy blouse with a navy pencil skirt and no knows the skirt is 10years old.

In general, I don't spend less than $6-$8 a yard (regular price) for yardgoods. Woolens can be $20-$50 per yard. (regular price)

If I could have a nickel for every beginning dressmaker, that says, "Oh, I don't do it anymore, because stuff looks "homemade". It must be my skills." I'd be a millionaire, well not quite. 90% of the time, it isn't the skills, IT THE MATERIALS!

Okay, I'm done. I'm taking my soap box off the public square. Thank you for letting me rant again about this topic.

Ms. D

If you've heard me give this one before just bear with me.

How do I say this with enough emphasis and not come across as rudely shouting?

Don't buy inexpensive materials for your crafting and sewing, especially if you are a beginner.

Now, see, this is a totally different approach to sewing than I was taught. I'm from a long line of post-Depression-era single mothers, etc. They sew to save $, not to make things nicer than Target. These days, the cost of fabric is such that it's cheaper to buy at Target!

I see your point of needing quality materials, even just to develop skills, but...well, that's expensive, lol! I think sewing would have to be a relatively serious hobby to justify the expense. (And for it to get to be a relatively serious hobby, you're going to have to fork over the $ first, I realize--catch 22, I guess.)

Anyway, I appreciate your post. I've always used fabric that was $3/yd or less (much, much less!), so I'm glad to know that nicer material might yield better results. Someday, I might try it.

So I'm thrilled with Wal-Mart fabrics. We pick up fabric for making rice bags, a few yards of cheap tie dye fabric for a sari to wear for a cultural program, orange fabric my son wanted to make a starfish pillow out of, some lovely striped fabric for part of a Jesus costume, beautiful peach, silky stuff for a kimono costume, fabric for pillow cases and curtains to go with a theme of a room, a quilt looking fabric that I sewed to look like a quilt and use as a wall hanging and so on.

I don't need quality for these things, I need affordable and when I can walk in to their dollar table and find much of what I need, I am very grateful. It sounds like Wal-Mart fabric would suit the bill for what you are looking for.

For $1-$2 per yard you can find all kinds of fabrics for all kinds of craft projects, play or dress up!

Now, see, this is a totally different approach to sewing than I was taught. I'm from a long line of post-Depression-era single mothers, etc. They sew to save $, not to make things nicer than Target. These days, the cost of fabric is such that it's cheaper to buy at Target! /QUOTE]

Exactly, the cost of fabric is actually held artifically high these days, so that it is cheaper to buy at Target for many things. I was taught the depression era sew to save route also. But along about the 1970's economics started to change. Sew because you like the hobby. Sew because you like to design your own clothes. Sew because you like very highend clothing. Buy the best materials you can find. Your time is the most expensive part of the project. I know each and everyone of you is worth at $100 an hour. ;)