Menu

Sandwich ideas..

Hummus and veggies on pita? Grilled cheese? Salmon salad? (that's what the kids had for lunch today) Burritos? Egg salad? Peanut butter (or almond) and apple (or pumpkin) butter? One of my favorites, since I was a kid, is spinach, havarti and sprouts on whole grain, preferably with Honey Cup or some other spicy honey mustard.

Tuna melt! Quick and yummy! For extra zip, throw some dill in your tuna, with or without lemon seasoning!

Alphalpha sprouts add some dimension. As do different sandwich spreads. Try toasting your bread. Try cutting on the diagonal if you're used to cutting horizontal. Cucumber and mayo with salt and pepper: that's my fave summer sandwich. Also bagels with cream cheese. I get plain cream cheese and spice it up myself with dried onion, garlic, basil, etc. Add a splash of Worchestershire (sp?) sauce and a smaller splash of lemon juice, mix it up an voila, your own yummy cream cheese. My hubby goes to the super market at 7 am on Saturdays and buys all kinds of fancy buns and breads that we normally couldn't afford. The deli clears them out for 50 cents per bag. Call your deli and find out if and when they do this, sometimes changing up your bread does a world of good!

I add sliced cukes to ANY sandwich to make it crunchy. We eat a lot of egg salad since duck eggs make the BEST egg salad and we have a LOT of those laying around. Literally! Chicken salad is great. We get the large canned white meat chicken from Sams and run it though the processor with mayo and other stuff and make a spead out of it. Add cukes and lettuce to that and its delicious. Of course my favorite all time sandwich is BLT with butter and mayo, but....that's not all that good for you!

bologna, cheese, a little mayo, and some relish. Put in food processer until it is mixed together (not too long or you will have mush). It makes a good sandwich, or a great dip for crackers. I know it isn't the healthiest, but it is good for a change every once in a while. It is even better the next day!

bacon, lettuce & tomato on toast (yummy)

DD loves peanut butter & strawberry cream cheese

Fresh, ripe Tomato with light salt & pepper with mayo

FRIED peanut butter & banana

chicken salad with almonds & grapes in it

bagels with grilled strips of chicken, tomato, & a bit of oil & vinegar

BLTs are nice, and very quick if you've cooked up a batch of bacon and frozen it. Then you can pull out just the slices you need.

Since it's grilling season, you might try grilling some chicken breasts.

Grilled veggies make good sandwiches, too.

Greek salad stuffed into a pita.

Chicken salad a million ways -- spicy, chinese, mexican, etc.

We like: fried bologna, grilled cheese with different cheeses(we prefer colby/jack cheese), BLT, tomatoe sandwhiches are really good, fried or scrambled eggs with peppers, onion and a dash of tabasco, cut up extra chicken add in celery, grapes, mayo for chicken salad or ham for ham salad, pimento spread. Besides fried bologna my kids eat lunch meat w/o bread just meat and cheese rolled up.

Edited by lynn

ooo I forgot one more thing! Olive tapenade is sooo yummy! It's salty, so don't add any other salt. Try spreading the tapenade (or pesto or salsa!) on ciabatta or any sturdy thick bread, add lettuce or sprouts, a slice of grilled meat (turkey or chicken breast is good!) and then melt a piece of cheese on top. Provolone is a great melting sandwich cheese! OK I'm hungry now! :drool5:

My kids' favorite sandwiches are toasted/grilled. They also like anything if it's in a hotdog bun just because it's different than regular bread.

Spag sauce, pepperoni, cheese (also good on bagel or english muffin)

Chicken or turkey or ham w/cheese and BBQ sauce (also good on tortilla)

Bacon and egg in tortilla

I like hummus and veggies in a tortilla

Another of my faves (no one else's, but I ate this as a kid) . . . banana & mayo!

Cinder

Toasted bread, pastrami, and spread (finely grated shredded cheddar, a dab of mayo, and pimentos)

Tuna with mayo, pickle relish, onions, and dill (grilled if you wish)

Chicken salad made with chicken, mayo, grapes and/or apples, walnuts

bacon, lettuce & tomato on toast (yummy)

DD loves peanut butter & strawberry cream cheese

Mmm, I think we could do that.

Fresh, ripe Tomato with light salt & pepper with mayo

FRIED peanut butter & banana

Okay, that just sounds crazy.

chicken salad with almonds & grapes in it

bagels with grilled strips of chicken, tomato, & a bit of oil & vinegar

making note to pick up cream cheese

BLTs with different kinds of cheeses, tomatoes and lettuces

Grilled ham, smoked cheddar and granny smith apples

Grilled chicken (brushed with honey mustard before grilling) with carmalized onions and peppers

Pimento cheese sandwiches (grilled is good, too)

Chicken sandwiches with shaved parmesan, sundried tomatoes, arugula and cesaer dressing

Meatball subs (using the leftovers from Ree's meatball recipe)

Grilled pb and banana sandwiches (they're really good, I promise)

Egg salad or tuna salad with lots of tuna, eggs, pickles, onions, chopped up lettuce, yum. Switch up the breads,too. Try whole wheat sub bread, pita, tortillas, bagels. Get english muffins and let the kids make mini-pizzas.