Menu

What the...

Nothing like being made to feel less than dirt. Apparently anyone finding out I have 7 children is heroic until you go apply for a job...then "you look like trouble and not flexible".

Anything else I have to say would just be more of a rant and not pretty. Right now, I just need a good old fashioned cry.

Nothing like being made to feel less than dirt. Apparently anyone finding out I have 7 children is heroic until you go apply for a job...then "you look like trouble and not flexible".

Anything else I have to say would just be more of a rant and not pretty. Right now, I just need a good old fashioned cry.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. I do hope they didn't ASK you if you had children & how many. That's a no-no/discrimination question.

I do hope they didn't ASK you if you had children & how many. That's a no-no/discrimination question.

This is correct. They should not ask you any personal questions.

If they do find out, however, you should explain how having 7 kids makes you more flexible- the older ones can baby-sit. You're also great at multi-tasking.

Legally no one can ask you how many you have, and I have found it better not to volunteer the information. If they do ask, all you have to say is "My home life is sufficiently taken care of and will not interfere with work", but they are not supposed to ask.

How the heck would they know how many children you have? :confused:

Because I was stooooopid :glare: I was advised, by a well meaning mom of a friend who was also a "displaced housewife", to put my homeschooling as part of my "life experience" resume. Usually it's seen as a positive thing. Apparently only if you aren't seeking a job. So it was a horrid interview. The interviewer had the audacity to chuckle at my resume before dismissing my in home business and all my contract work, then fussed about my not having "professional references" (it's a waitressing position; it has been over a decade since I last worked as a waitress. One place is closed down and the other, well, who there would remember me?)

On a side note, I got my critique from two friends (thus the tears...it was good critique, just difficult to hear), had my cry, and....

.....my husband is pushing for me to reopen my sewing business and go as big as I can with it. I'm stocked on fabric :lol: and now have a whole floor to myself. He's agreed to keep the kids busy and be house hubby in the mornings. When he goes to work, then I quit and start school (we do that part anyhow ;) ) So here's praying to this endeavor.

Edited by mommaduck

Because I was stooooopid :glare: I was advised, by a well meaning mom of a friend who was also a "displaced housewife", to put my homeschooling as part of my "life experience" resume. Usually it's seen as a positive thing. Apparently only if you aren't seeking a job. So it was a horrid interview. The interviewer had the audacity to chuckle at my resume before dismissing my in home business and all my contract work, then fussed about my not having "professional references" (it's a waitressing position; it has been over a decade since I last worked as a waitress. One place is closed down and the other, well, who there would remember me?)

On a side note, I got my critique from two friends (thus the tears...it was good critique, just difficult to hear), had my cry, and....

.....my husband is pushing for me to reopen my sewing business and go as big as I can with it. I'm stocked on fabric :lol: and now have a whole floor to myself. He's agreed to keep the kids busy and be house hubby in the mornings. When he goes to work, then I quit and start school (we do that part anyhow ;) ) So here's praying to this endeavor.

check out Biblical Womanhood (sorry don't have the link handy). There are a ton of offshoots from there where woman work from home and do wonderful things with their handywork...prays for you.

Ug what a jerk!! He doesn't even know what quality person he is losing!!

You go girl!! If it is worth anything, I think you are heroic! :grouphug: I wish you all the best! :)

Oh, I'm so sorry :( :grouphug: On the other hand, I think the sewing business is a wonderful idea, and a big old open door to walk through after the other one was slammed so horridly! I bet you could market it locally as an experienced seamstress saving people money by repairing their items so they don't have to buy new ones. Do you knit or crochet, by any chance? I'm needing some dishcloths! :D

Oh, I'm so sorry :( :grouphug: On the other hand, I think the sewing business is a wonderful idea, and a big old open door to walk through after the other one was slammed so horridly! I bet you could market it locally as an experienced seamstress saving people money by repairing their items so they don't have to buy new ones. Do you knit or crochet, by any chance? I'm needing some dishcloths! :D

I sew, knit, and crochet...yes. Sewing is my talent though. Washcloths would not be difficult to knit. PM with what you are looking for ;)