Menu

MFW - worth it?

I have been carrying around the MFW catalog for days now, trying to decide if we should do MFW Exploration to 1850, which uses SOTW, or stick with Biblioplan, which is based around SOTW and which we've used for the past few years. We always enjoy the Biblioplan selections but I do spend a lot of time with the guide before the school year, researching the recommended books, choosing the ones I think will work, seeing what our library has and ordering the ones I want to own. In addition, this year (Middle ages, Ren and Ref) felt less cohesive to me than last year's study.

So, MFW - I love the concept of having the music and art scheduled in. I like the fact that I can incorporate two 3rd graders and a 6th grader in the same program. I like that a study of the states is included in Ex-1850, along with a state report. That said, it looks like the package includes a fraction of the books I usually end up buying and using during the course of a year.

I know a lot of people here love MFW - so please tell me, is it worth the $$? Why should I not just stick with Biblioplan, which has been working, for the most part? I'd love to hear any thoughts as I try to make a decision here.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling K, 2, 2 and 5

I am not familiar with Biblioplan, so my comments will be limited. One thing that MFW schedules that may not be in Biblioplan is fantastic read-alouds and Bible. The variety of books keeps out attention throughout the year. The re-sale value of a complete package is about 70-80% of your original cost. So, it really doesn't cost much to use it. I have not used the year you are considering, but it's one I am really looking forward to because of the great Bible too. I have used Adventures, CTG, ECC, and now RTR for next year. I have a great library system, so that helps me fill the book basket. But honestly, it isn't always full! I just don't always get to it.

Anyway, there's a few thoughts for you.

I've always been drawn to MFW and have heard David Hazell speak several times at our homeschooling conference. After using MFW for a year, my recommendation is to try to get your hands on the specific books used in MFW's program to see if you like them. (After using literature-based programs, some of MFW's selections felt too text-booky and summarized to us.)

Another thing, do you like having Biblioplan's reading assignments by level? How do you think it would go to switch to the book basket method with MFW? (My kids didn't like the book basket, and I ended up assigning them reading instead, which was more difficult without recommendations of titles and number of pages for the different levels. However, maybe you've used Biblioplan long enough that you have a better feel for assigning reading if you needed to.)

If it's possible to try it out with the samples & books, this may be the best way to see how you feel about actually using it vs. the idea of it, KWIM?

Well, I have bought MFW three times and returned/sold it every time. I love the thought of it, kind of like I love the concept of Sonlight, but it just didn't work for us. I think one of the major appeals is having the Bible coordinated with the history. Their state and presidents study was very simple and could be done on your own. We could never stay on the same week with all the subjects. The book basket will add in a lot more books, if that is a concern. I would suggest you stick with Biblioplan, if it is working for you, and add Harmony Fine Arts for you scheduled art/music. It is coordinated to the WTM time periods and very reasonably priced.

I really wanted to love MFW. This year in particular, with so much going on during the modern time period, I wanted a lot of discussion questions that would fold God's plan into the history. MFW just didn't do it, unless I missed something. I guess I want TOG light:001_smile: I am working on my own schedule coordinating SOTW 4 with books from the AG, Ambleside, TOG, and History Through the Ages. I would love to find a really cheap used TOG for the discussion questions!

Another option for you: easyclassical.com will have their lesson plans for Explorers to 1815 ready sometime this summer. It will coordinate Story of the World Vol. 3 by Susan Wise Bauer, A Story of the Thirteen Colonies by H.A. Guerber, and the Veritas Press History Cards and have A History of the US by Joy Hakim as an extra supplement.

I just finished EXP to 1850 and have used MFW since my kids were in K and if you are looking for more open and go MFW is definitely worth it. The Bible is great (we memorized the entire book of James and did an inductive Bible study on it) and the art and music flow in beautifully to the history.

We loved the time to do a 4 week state study and research report which turned out fantastic. I know that some have the impression that MFW is too light but with the book basket you can measure how deep you want your child to go. MFW pre-views every book in the book basket and there has never been a book that they recommended that I have needed to question. If there is even a slight hint of anything that I might have a problem with the TM gives me a heads up. For a Mom who pre-views all of our library selections before my kids read them, this saves me a lot of time!

I have never used Bibloplan so I don't know how it works. Hopefully someone who has used both will jump in.

I have been carrying around the MFW catalog for days now, trying to decide if we should do MFW Exploration to 1850, which uses SOTW, or stick with Biblioplan, which is based around SOTW and which we've used for the past few years. We always enjoy the Biblioplan selections but I do spend a lot of time with the guide before the school year, researching the recommended books, choosing the ones I think will work, seeing what our library has and ordering the ones I want to own. In addition, this year (Middle ages, Ren and Ref) felt less cohesive to me than last year's study.

So, MFW - I love the concept of having the music and art scheduled in. I like the fact that I can incorporate two 3rd graders and a 6th grader in the same program. I like that a study of the states is included in Ex-1850, along with a state report. That said, it looks like the package includes a fraction of the books I usually end up buying and using during the course of a year.

I know a lot of people here love MFW - so please tell me, is it worth the $$? Why should I not just stick with Biblioplan, which has been working, for the most part? I'd love to hear any thoughts as I try to make a decision here.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling K, 2, 2 and 5

I haven't had the time to read all the post so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

There is a yahoo group for resale/wtb MFW. If it is something you are really interested but the finances are an issue you could join that. Also, the couple of years that I bought it I just got the TM and went to Amazon and purchased many of the books that went with there used. You have to watch the price and condition but saved lots of $'s that way. It does take time though also.

I really enjoyed MFW Kindergarten. I also did MFW 1st grade. It did do a good job in teaching reading to my son and was a good, solid program. (Though some days seemed to go really long, as he was not always enthusiastic about his lessons!)

When I got MFW Adventures, I began to lose interest, along with my son. I didn't like many of the main book selections (spines). I did about half the year and then sold it. I never did another MFW.

This year I did Sonlight, and like it much better. In my opinion, the IG is much better, and the book selections with Sonlight can't be matched! (Though there are some selections in MFW that are the same as Sonlight's).

I've heard MFW ECC is really good, but I never went that far, and will stay with Sonlight.

HTH,

Susu

Edited by Susu

Thanks so much for your thoughts, I do appreciate it. Biblioplan does schedule fantastic read-alouds but not Bible, with the exception of the study of the Nation of Israel in Biblioplan Ancients (which was great!). It does also schedule the readers by level, which we've enjoyed - though I find it schedules more of them then I'd like my son to rush through. He's a strong reader but many books were scheduled to be read in one week, and I selected the ones I wanted my ds11 to read (skipping others), and gave him a little longer. He was usually reading another thick book on his own (he enjoyed the Lord of the Rings trilogy this year), and I didn't want reading historical fiction to turn into too much of a chore. As it is, he still says that is his favorite genre, so it's worked well. So I did get used to setting my own schedule and # of pages read as far as that goes.

I assumed MFW book basket would schedule readers the same way; am I wrong about that? Also, if anyone has used Ex.-1850, does MFW progress though SOTW in order, or mix it up?

I will try to get my hands on some of the books MFW schedules, maybe our library carries some and I can preview them. I'll also check out Harmony Fine Arts. I do love the idea of having the Bible, art and music scheduled though, I've gotten so many great resources that we've not done justice too because I just don't schedule them in.

Thanks also for the heads-up about the yahoo group for used MFW.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling k, 2, 2 and 5

I love the thought of it, kind of like I love the concept of Sonlight, but it just didn't work for us. I think one of the major appeals is having the Bible coordinated with the history. Their state and presidents study was very simple and could be done on your own. We could never stay on the same week with all the subjects. The book basket will add in a lot more books, if that is a concern. I would suggest you stick with Biblioplan, if it is working for you,

I really wanted to love MFW.

I wanted a lot of discussion questions that would fold God's plan into the history. MFW just didn't do it.

This is what we found too. Someone else suggested really looking at the books they use, if you like to tweak things (and I do) MFW just didn't work.

I guess I want TOG light:001_smile:

You might want to consider Winter Promise....literature based (uses Hakim's Story of US), and it has resources and activities to choose from each week. It's set up like MFW, with a weekly grid to follow, and it has an "extra" weekly grid for student's independent work.

The book basket was a great idea in theory, but I found it very wearisome each week to go online to check which books listed in the MFW appendix for that week were in my library, go and check them out, and then lug them back each week. There were always several titles not available and even out of print, so I'd have to look for substitutions...sigh.

It has been so nice this year just to have all my read alouds and readers on my own shelf at home...another way Sonlight has spoiled me. Library trips now are just pleasure driven...we all just check out whatever we want!

The book basket is not a scheduled thing, other than the fact that there is a list that tells you all the suggested titles to look for. It is meant to be used as supplementary books you get from the library for your child to choose during free reading time. But with older children I'd rather give them assigned readings, and then let them choose their own books at the library for free reading...I don't know if the book basket is worked differently at the higher levels, I only know about K, 1 and Adventures...

Susu

Ex - 1850 works through SOTW fairly straight through although there are a few weeks with other spines thrown in.

I think most people either love book basket or hate it. We like a lot of books (30 -40 a week) so the library is great for us because I'd hate to have buy all of those books. MFW doesn't schedule book basket books as read so many pages on a certain day (although it does for everything else) but it schedules it as books recommended for certain weeks.

The history of art and music are a huge bonus for us as I want my kids to have a well-rounded look at history and so often the music and art culture play such a large part in history (like in understanding some of the history in France and the reformation).

I understand that all curriculums do not fit all home schoolers so if you could look at a TM, that might help answer some of those questions.

MFW does have teacher notes for discussion ideas, warnings about wrong or questionable information in certain books, etc. but leaves it up to you and your family to discuss according to your personal doctrinal position and specific beliefs. I think that MFW ties history and Bible together *very* well. I've never understood why some people don't think it does? But I don't want to see this thread turn into another MFW vs. TOG debate. ;) There are already plenty of those on board. Personally, I prefer having a well-laid out plan with built-in flexibility, than to have something so scripted that I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I don't follow it exactly. But, that's just me. :001_smile: I *like* the fact that MFW has only scheduled a certain # of books for the core lessons, and then offers the very large Book Basket list in the back of the TM for more options.

SOTW isn't written in exactly chronological order, so MFW schedules the chapters so that they ARE chronological, along with the other resources used.

The upper history years (i.e., the one you're looking at), are obviously more advanced both in work level and content than say, ECC and below. It's difficult to compare 3rd grade and down with 4th grade and up, as they would have a completely different focus. That whole grammar stage vs. logic stage, you know. :) If you go to this page and scroll down to the lower half of the page, you can see a chart that helps visualize the different learning stages in MFW. http://www.mfwbooks.com/2-8_home.htm

As far as getting books from Book Basket.... the books are listed by topic and/or week #, so it's easy to follow the flow through history. I just take a peek at 2 or 3 weeks at a time, go online and put my order in, then wait for them to come in. We usually make a library run once a week.... which we'd do even if we weren't using MFW. I pick and choose from the list as to which titles to order, as I have three different ages/learning stages here, so not every title applies to every child. I appreciate Marie's notes where she gives me a heads-up as to content on some of the questionable/more mature books and videos.

And you may not know this, but Marie has asterisked some titles in the Book Basket which she recommends for purchase if you can't or don't like using the library. Another option is to go through the list and order titles from the library that you're considering purchasing, preview them, and keep a running shopping list as you go. This can all be done before the year starts, or you could do it half a year at a time, or whatever.

MFW does schedule a certain # of read-alouds throughout the year (in addition to your spine and your "resources"/reference material), but they don't schedule so many that you can't get it done if life gets hectic, or you just get overwhelmed. That's where the additional books from Book Basket come in.... you can add more as time and interest allow.

Could you use multiple other resources and pull together your own studies in history, Bible, science, and fine arts yourself? Of course! TWTM is one of several resources that explains how to do that. But every time I've tried to do that, I end up frustrated, discouraged, and overwhelmed. I like how MFW has already done that for me, and then I can tweak as I go along depending on what's going on in the rest of our life. :001_smile:

Aimee,

My vote (of course) is for MFW! Here are some thoughts about things you've mentioned:

1. As you head into more modern history, SOTW doesn't spend much more time on the US than other countries, so MFW follows SOTW and adds in more in-depth study of individual US colonies, the development of our government, etc.

2. MFW schedules important read-alouds which add depth to specific parts of history (slavery, pilgrims, etc.). However, it doesn't overload with "requiring" books that are interesting but not essential. Each family will want to learn something different, especially as you get into more modern times, when there is so MUCH to learn about! In fact, each child can enjoy and learn from different types of books in book basket, while still getting the essential outline of history and important depth in the main books. Some may even decide to delve into science or artists or classic literature, instead.

3. I agree about the music and art - they're are included & actually get done at our house. Art adds a lot of depth to history, and reflects on culture, values, & just general interest. Music adds variety to our day, and exposure to things we don't ordinarily get to experience. MFW will also mention things like operas that relate or poems.

4. Fitting in a study of each state and each president, plus world history alongside the development of our nation, is just amazing, in my opinion. I feel MFW chooses just the right amount -- good books, but not every book in every series or every book on every topic -- unless you want to! I've found kids benefit from understanding the big overall picture in a clear framework, and then delving deeper when their interest is piqued.

In summary, I feel my son's gained a strong education and I've still been able to tend to my husband when his cancer flares, because I can spend time with my family rather than planning, organizing, and sometimes driving a topic into the ground. (Believe me, I've done that in the past!)

Aimee,

4. Fitting in a study of each state and each president, plus world history alongside the development of our nation, is just amazing, in my opinion. I feel MFW chooses just the right amount -- good books, but not every book in every series or every book on every topic -- unless you want to! I've found kids benefit from understanding the big overall picture in a clear framework, and then delving deeper when their interest is piqued.

On this, I just wanted to add that you're going to get a lot more depth from the two-year American/world chronological study -- including the states and presidents -- than you would in the one-year American-only overview that's done in 2nd or 3rd grade (Adventures). Just in case anyone reading this is wondering. ;) Adventures done in 2nd or 3rd grade is meant to be a fun, one-year overview to fill a year before the oldest child starts a new cycle in 3rd or 4th grade. The later two-year study is a lot more involved.

I had a very hard time making curriculum decisions earlier this year. I purchased biblioplan, but then decided not to use it. Instead I went with MFW. I chose MFW for some of the same reasons you mentioned: art and music lessons, Bible reading, and the ability to have my kids learn many subjects together.

The Book basket list is very nice. There is much overlap between the MFW booklist and the Biblioplan booklist. I love the idea of having a list for each week (divided by topics) without having specific books scheduled. This will give my kids and me the ability to choose what seems to fit best. I appreciate the lesson plan notes in MFW as well.

They are both great programs, but very different. Best wishes to you!

I am new to MFW, but very excited about using it this upcoming year. I have purchased MFW K and RTR.

I love the way it is so glorifying to God. I love that it is all laid out for me. I love the flexibility with the choices for the 'book basket', which may just be a reading list for my older dc.

All in all, I would say that God led us to MFW. The goals of MFW match my family's goals with homeschooling, so I made the switch. I plan to stick with it for the long haul.

All that said, I know absolutely nothing about the other program.

Blessings!!!

At least one person mentioned they found MFW spines dry or textbook-ish. Has anyone who's done Ex-1850 felt that way? I did look up several of the spines on Amazon and CBD to get a better feel for them, and some are classified as textbooks for middle school level students. It made me wonder if these would be too advanced for my two third graders.

I am so appreciating all the input! It has me really evaluating what we enjoy about Biblioplan - all the great books, scheduled for me, along with lots of flexibility - and on the other hand, what I feel it's missing and would like done for me (music, art and Bible). I am a tweaker and would probably end up tweaking MFW just as I've tweaked Sonlight, Winterpromise, Beautiful Feet and Biblioplan through the years, but I want to make sure I at least start out with the best fit for our family. I will keep prayerfully considering and will enjoy any more input you send my way.

Thank you all! This board is great.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades k, 2, 2 and 5

Again, I just did Exp - 1850 and the only book that hit me that way was "Building a City on a Hill" but it was only in so short a time in the curriculum that it didn't bother me. Oh, I guess some don't like "Exploring American History", but honestly, I wouldn't consider either of them a spine. SOTW and "George Washington's World" were the two spine books and the others just added more information and even then it wasn't the majority of the time.

I don't mind a textbook now and again especially if they have more information than the others. I didn't read Building a City on a Hill with my youngest but my oldest really enjoyed the in depth information.

We love it and it has been worth every dime. This is our 2nd year with mfw and our 9th year homeschooling. It's taken stress off of me and I feel we're being thorough. It has just been so much better since we started using mfw!! It has opened up so many discussions!! One of the neatest parts to me is to see the spirtual things that went on behind the scenes in history. Last week we learned about Brother Andrew's 7-year period of prayer to end communism and bring down the Berlin Wall, and how it was the 7 years right before the wall came down. Just so cool to see how God is working behind the scenes!! We're learning history but also learning the ways of God in the process. I could go on and on!!! I would say that you should pray it over and really seek God's plan for your family. I KNOW God directed us to this curriculum, and I believe just as firmly that He can direct someone else to another curriculum that would be better suited for that family!

At least one person mentioned they found MFW spines dry or textbook-ish. Has anyone who's done Ex-1850 felt that way? I did look up several of the spines on Amazon and CBD to get a better feel for them, and some are classified as textbooks for middle school level students. It made me wonder if these would be too advanced for my two third graders.

Well, I use and like MFW and have found it worth it for over 6 years. So I'm bias.

I used EX1850 2 years ago and had a 5th and 2nd grader. I got the younger kid supplement materials (which are scheduled in the manual) and didn't worry about the middle school level books for my 2nd grader.

It worked ok for my kids.

Like Dawn said, Building a City on a Hill is used a short time, and my younger gal didn't use it. I used it more for reference.

And EX1850 uses Story of the World, which I don't think is dry or too textbooky.

I don't know if it is the right thing for you or not. I've liked it. I like that in EX1850 we worked on learning and memorizing the entire book of James, and that there were 2 paths for it depending on the kids' abilities.

-crystal

Don't forget, I think you have to get a special 3rd grade supplement for that part of the cycle due to content. I might be wrong. So if price is really a factor, that's something to check out.

I'm biased for Heart of Dakota since it's much like MFW which was close to what I was looking for, doesn't cost near as much for what you get, all the books you need are included so no trips to the library, and all subjects are planned. YOu can get extensions to beef it up for the older and combine your kids with HOD as well. That has plans in the guide as well.

I've tried MFW, 4 levels I think and we always end up selling it. I'm left with too many things to do lesson plans for and it doesn't include all the subjects, just the reminders to do them. Also, I'm left with too many subjects to buy... So you are essentially just getting history, bible, and science...with some hands-on stuff in there. HOD is just working so much better for us and is much more cost effective...and I don't have to plan a thing...it's all in there!

I do plan to go back to MFW for high school though (that is, unless HOD goes past their plans for 8th grade).

May not be the info you are looking for, but I hope it helps anyway!

My vote would be MFW. We used ECC last year and will be starting Exp to 1850. I love being able to teach the kids together and having the book basket choices. Art and science are finally getting done because they're scheduled in. I can't wait to start using their high school curriculum, as it looks excellent.

Jess

Don't forget, I think you have to get a special 3rd grade supplement for that part of the cycle due to content. I might be wrong. So if price is really a factor, that's something to check out.

I'm biased for Heart of Dakota since it's much like MFW which was close to what I was looking for, doesn't cost near as much for what you get, all the books you need are included so no trips to the library, and all subjects are planned. YOu can get extensions to beef it up for the older and combine your kids with HOD as well. That has plans in the guide as well.

quote]

I did check out HOD quite extensively - but the time period I would like to continue with won't work very well for 6th grader even with supplementing (I don't think), and might even be a little young for my two middles. And it's been really important to me, through three adoptions, multiple age kiddos, a disc injury and various family life issues, to have everyone on the same page for history. But it looks like a great program, I was quite impressed! I will be buying it for my littlest, who'll be in first grade, and if the time period/age program are right for us in the future, the upper grades are on my list of programs I'd love to work with.

Re: the MFW 2/3rd grade extension, I was happy to realize that I own most of those books already, so that wouldn't be an added expense. Thanks for the good food for thought. Still pondering here...

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades k, 2, 2 and 5

Aimee

Just a few tiny corrections

all the books you need are included so no trips to the library, and all subjects are planned.

MFW includes all the books you need. It just includes a bonus -- a library list!

So you are essentially just getting history, bible, and science...with some hands-on stuff in there.

MFW includes:

- History

- Bible

- Science

- Art

- Music

- A big portion of language arts, or in other words the segments that do not need to be totally tailored to a child's ability level (vocabulary for 3 years, read-alouds, copywork, dictation, summary writing, handwriting review, letter writing in some years, screened literature choices, etc.)

MFW includes:

- History

- Bible

- Science

- Art

- Music

- A big portion of language arts, or in other words the segments that do not need to be totally tailored to a child's ability level (vocabulary for 3 years, read-alouds, copywork, dictation, summary writing, handwriting review, letter writing in some years, screened literature choices, etc.)

As well as math and language arts (English, writing, etc.) if you choose to use their recommendations for those subjects. If you want to use Singapore math and buy it from them, they include a separate booklet with lesson plans for that. Their recommendations for LA are largely self-explanatory, but Marie does include teaching tips for these resources in the front of the TM, as well. And of course there's the Archives on the MFW message boards where you can find loads of additional help, too.

Not sure if you were even considering their recs for math and LA, but I thought I'd mention it for those who are wondering.

I'm left with too many things to do lesson plans for and it doesn't include all the subjects, just the reminders to do them. Also, I'm left with too many subjects to buy...

I'm glad to know HOD is working for you.Maybe you can help me understand something. I read this last night and find myself still wondering it this morning.

I've been wondering something. I'm just curious. I thought you have to buy Singapore and R&S English (and even Igniting Your Writing) when you use HOD. Even on HOD's website it says "the other subjects not directly linked to the history study include math and some parts of language arts and science."

So how is that different from MFW b/c in MFW you buy Singapore (lesson plans are included if you buy from them), and PLL/ILL, Spelling,Writing Strands (lesson planning is in the manual for those parts of language arts). MFW package include science. That's not an extra add this to cart package like HOD's.

I haven't used HOD, but it sounds a lot like MFW in that aspect, so I'm not understanding the difference that you had to buy those subjects. You had to buy them with HOD too, right? and buy DITHR, and buy some music too.

MFW and HOD both seem to cover a lot of subjects and provide the resources and planning for them.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

We just started using MFW and I wanted to comment on what we are doing with the book basket. We do not have a library that can serve us with more than one book per subject per FAMILY each time we go in, therefore we don't use the library at all! I have purchased and scheduled in all our "extras", without much trouble at all. So it is possible to do the book basket different and I do think MFW is worth it!

We just started using MFW and I wanted to comment on what we are doing with the book basket. We do not have a library that can serve us with more than one book per subject per FAMILY each time we go in, therefore we don't use the library at all! I have purchased and scheduled in all our "extras", without much trouble at all. So it is possible to do the book basket different and I do think MFW is worth it!

And I just want to mention again that Marie intentionally planned it this way.... having lived overseas and knowing how to live without modern conveniences like great libraries. She built that flexibility into the program for just this reason: the library for those who can't afford to buy extra books, the extensive list of titles providing many options, and the recommended purchases for those who prefer/need to buy all their extras. :001_smile:

I'm glad to know HOD is working for you.Maybe you can help me understand something. I read this last night and find myself still wondering it this morning.

I've been wondering something. I'm just curious. I thought you have to buy Singapore and R&S English (and even Igniting Your Writing) when you use HOD. Even on HOD's website it says "the other subjects not directly linked to the history study include math and some parts of language arts and science."

So how is that different from MFW b/c in MFW you buy Singapore (lesson plans are included if you buy from them), and PLL/ILL, Spelling,Writing Strands (lesson planning is in the manual for those parts of language arts). MFW package include science. That's not an extra add this to cart package like HOD's.

I haven't used HOD, but it sounds a lot like MFW in that aspect, so I'm not understanding the difference that you had to buy those subjects. You had to buy them with HOD too, right? and buy DITHR, and buy some music too.

MFW and HOD both seem to cover a lot of subjects and provide the resources and planning for them.

-crystal

I was looking at the website and saw the same thing. Interesting! :confused:

MFW is definitely worth it for us! I love how all the little things mesh together in Bible, history, and even vocabulary! It has been a good fit for our family, although there have been times we struggle through parts, it has always been worth it, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I do usually buy a few of the better book basket books and keep an eye for books at out library sales that match the topic we are on or approaching.

We love MFW too, and used Exploration to 1850 this past school year.

I especially love the book basket. We live 30 minutes from the nearest library, but my dh actually works at one 45 minutes away, so this is what I do.

During the summer break, I go online and search for every last one of the recommended books. Using a separate word document for each week, I type all of the books I was able to find and include the call #. If it is available through interlibrary loan, or if we have it at home, I note that as well. I * the same ones that Marie *.

During the school year, I pull up the list a week ahead, request the ILL books and e-mail the list to my dh, who then brings them home. When he comes back with a huge stack of books, it's like Christmas here.

Before MFW, I used Sonlight with my oldest dd, and she loved it as well. She still goes to the bookshelf to reread those books. However, when I am tempted to go back, I remember the book basket. She has read an amazing # of books the past couple of years, and I think we would all really miss the stacks of books that come home. Some are picture books, some easy readers, some chapter books, and I even found one for me (The Count of Monte Cristo)! ;)

We save money by purchasing used.

Well thank you all, I must say you should all get commission LOL, you are doing a great job selling me on MFW! I ever brought the catalogs to bed last night (my poor dear husband) and he suggested I find a program that includes information about how our government was formed, about the states, etc. Ummm, I think I did. :001_smile:

One more question, do you like the science that is included?

Thanks and blessings,

Aimee

Well thank you all, I must say you should all get commission LOL, you are doing a great job selling me on MFW! I ever brought the catalogs to bed last night (my poor dear husband) and he suggested I find a program that includes information about how our government was formed, about the states, etc. Ummm, I think I did. :001_smile:

One more question, do you like the science that is included?

Thanks and blessings,

Aimee

Yes, because the science is very home friendly.

We've liked the science too. My dh is a PHD chemist and he really likes how the science is done in MFW. Fun stuff, easy to set up and doesn't require a PHD in chemistry to get it done :lol:

We like the notebooking approach with science. And like the reminder to do nature walks. We like the home friendly feeling of it. and in ADV, we like how the science ties in with the Bible lessons.

It's not the same, but I like to share a blog that is a family doing the science this year in MFW's Creation to the greeks. It shows the fun stuff and the hands on

Lainie's blog for Science Saturday fun

-crystal

We've done the science in K, Adventures, and RTR so far. K and Adventures were very age-appropriate, hands-on, simple and fun. I'm not a big fan of Usborne at all (don't like the busyness on the pages), but the instructions in MFW make it doable by pointing out specific page #'s and all that. As Crystal said, I liked how the science in ADV was tied to the names of Jesus. Fun and simple, and really helps a child of that age tangibly "see" Jesus in everything.

(A quick note about the Usborne books that MFW uses: I really like the Internet-linked ones, as the pictures and activities you find online through the Usborne links are pretty cool! That's a fun addition to our studies whenever they come up in the schedule, both in history and science.)

The human body study in RTR was great! Even my little one did the put-together of the paper human body, with help. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the Janice VanCleave book, but the girls got into it more than I thought they would. The experiments are easy, no special equipment needed, and the things they remembered from doing the diagrams completely amazed me.

We didn't actually *do* the Astronomy study in RTR because my girls just aren't that into Astronomy and didn't want to. Not being "into" Astronomy myself, LOL, I let it slide. However, we do refer to the book from time to time when questions come up or we hear about something in the news (total eclipse of the moon and other tidbits). It's a beautiful book, and really nice to have on hand. We also read some of the books out of Book Basket for this topic.

-crystal

I was looking at the website and saw the same thing. Interesting! :confused:

Crystal & Teresa,

R&S & Singapore are scheduled into the guides, but it is easy to replace with your own grammar and math if you prefer because it doesn't tie into the history/science lessons. (like you can do with MFW) ;) This past year I used PLL & ILL and MUS with HOD and it worked fine except that PLL & ILL were a bit redundant with the dictation and poetry already scheduled in the guides so I just skipped those lessons. HTH

Well, I have bought MFW three times and returned/sold it every time. I love the thought of it, kind of like I love the concept of Sonlight, but it just didn't work for us. I think one of the major appeals is having the Bible coordinated with the history. Their state and presidents study was very simple and could be done on your own. We could never stay on the same week with all the subjects. The book basket will add in a lot more books, if that is a concern. I would suggest you stick with Biblioplan, if it is working for you, and add Harmony Fine Arts for you scheduled art/music. It is coordinated to the WTM time periods and very reasonably priced.

I really wanted to love MFW. This year in particular, with so much going on during the modern time period, I wanted a lot of discussion questions that would fold God's plan into the history. MFW just didn't do it, unless I missed something. I guess I want TOG light:001_smile: I am working on my own schedule coordinating SOTW 4 with books from the AG, Ambleside, TOG, and History Through the Ages. I would love to find a really cheap used TOG for the discussion questions!

Another option for you: easyclassical.com will have their lesson plans for Explorers to 1815 ready sometime this summer. It will coordinate Story of the World Vol. 3 by Susan Wise Bauer, A Story of the Thirteen Colonies by H.A. Guerber, and the Veritas Press History Cards and have A History of the US by Joy Hakim as an extra supplement.

:iagree::iagree: I could have written this post...including the 3x purchase/sale...sigh

We used CtG and didn't like the science for that year, Genesis for Kids. The characters in the book (used like narrators) seemed more appealing to younger kids (goofy?). However, I think most of the years past that use Apologia's elementary science, which we like.

:iagree::iagree: I could have written this post...including the 3x purchase/sale...sigh

So since Donna is right, and every single subject can be purchased through MFW, including placement guides and daily schedules, what's the piece that's missing?

I think I'm hearing that you 2 gals returned MFW three times because it didn't have readers scheduled or daily scripted questions about the readers? Interestingly, Kim would rather write her own whole program than make up a few questions about the readers. So it seems that questions about readers seem big...

That is definitely a philosophy difference. MFW calls 2nd to 8th grade the "learning to love to read" phase. It sets a solid foundation before they must "learn by reading" in high school.

I have a youngest son using MFW and, boy, am I glad that I didn't kill his love of reading by forcing him to read certain things, in certain amounts, for all these years. Just now in 7th grade he's enjoying things like finishing up Black Ships Before Troy, and some days he's finishing up Farmer Boy. No, they don't match our history studies (we entered the 1900s this week). No, they don't even match each other, in era, style, or reading level. No, I don't have him tell me everything about what he's reading. Honestly I'm just glad he's willing and he's able, and I'm glad that in high school he'll delve deeper by comparing the original Homer to the Bible.

MFW did suggest we step it up a notch in 7th by doing two Progeny Press guides, which include all those literature questions and more. He liked both books he read (knowing my child, I chose Maniac Magee & Carry On Mr. Bowditch). However, he did not want to learn about literature analysis or answer questions about details. That part was just part of "school" and not part of "learning to love to read" LOL :tongue_smilie:

The MFW philosophy is to converse with your children through Bible and through human history, with all their interconnections to one another and to the parent's own beliefs. But as for their independent reading, they are set free.

I guess it's a philosophy difference?

Edited by Julie in MN

Crystal & Teresa,

R&S & Singapore are scheduled into the guides, but it is easy to replace with your own grammar and math if you prefer because it doesn't tie into the history/science lessons. (like you can do with MFW) ;) This past year I used PLL & ILL and MUS with HOD and it worked fine except that PLL & ILL were a bit redundant with the dictation and poetry already scheduled in the guides so I just skipped those lessons. HTH

Yes, I found the same thing with HOD. For those who have not seen it, HOD includes poetry work, dictation, copywork, narration, etc. all scheduled in the daily plan (the guide itself contains the poetry and things, not a different book). Rod and Staff covers grammar and usage, but the rest is written into HOD.

I am sure MFW is wonderful and know many people that LOVE it, but I just wanted to clarify that specific math and english lessons are scheduled in the HOD book inside each lesson plan.

PLL and ILL was redundant given all that HOD included already.

Yes, I found the same thing with HOD. For those who have not seen it, HOD includes poetry work, dictation, copywork, narration, etc. all scheduled in the daily plan (the guide itself contains the poetry and things, not a different book). Rod and Staff covers grammar and usage, but the rest is written into HOD.

I am sure MFW is wonderful and know many people that LOVE it, but I just wanted to clarify that specific math and english lessons are scheduled in the HOD book inside each lesson plan.

PLL and ILL was redundant given all that HOD included already.

But the reason this was brought up isn't to argue whether HOD includes everything... but to argue that MFW does also. Someone said those things are NOT included in MFW, which isn't true. They are. MFW lesson plans DO include narration, copywork, dictation... the only thing listed there that's not written specifically into the MFW daily lesson plans is poetry, which instead is included in the English book that they recommend. So I'm not sure what the concern is? :confused:

IOW, people are saying MFW doesn't include things that it in fact DOES include. That's why Crystal posted her comparison/observations back on page 3... she was asking how it is that HOD includes more than MFW? It doesn't. Both programs include ALL subjects, with the option to swap out English and Math if you want.

Crystal & Teresa,

I think I understand that part. The issue Crystal had (not wanting to speak for Crystal, so she can correct me if I'm wrong), and I guess so do I, is that that particular poster that was speaking highly of HOD was saying how HOD has everything included and MFW doesn't. From the website, it is clear that you basically have to include the same outside subjects as you do with MFW: math, grammar & writing. With MFW, I have replaced their grammar with my own. I used ILL for the first part of the year, and it just didn't work for us so we switched back to R&S. It's effortless to use what works for us when something else doesn't. Just trying to correct misinformation, and I may be misunderstanding the poster who wrote it. I may have even misunderstood what you're saying too...I do that sometimes. ;)

MFW didn't work for us for more reasons than just not having questions about the books. For one, we are not big on read-alouds here. My oldest two love, love, love to read, (thus no need to teach them to love to read) and with a very active (i.e. loud!) 2 year old running around, they much prefer to read to themselves. I have in no way killed their love of reading-they are both avid readers and I feel it's time to do something with what they are reading, esp. the 8th grader. I've tried the Progeny guides in the past and they just aren't for us-that was for the lower grades, haven't seen the higher grade guides. We have other science programs that we want to use, and other grammar & writing programs that we use. Speaking of LA, I could not find anything really scheduled in the guide, except copying and dictating Bible verses. Maybe the comparison with HOD was the fact that most of the LA scheduled in MFW is in PLL/ILL and not in the guide itself? There are spaces for Writing Strands and Grammar, but they are just blank-same with math (at least in Modern). HOD actually includes the page numbers to do each week. I'm not saying one is better than the other-just that that is the way they are laid out. Also,maybe the descrepancies in information come from looking at different years? I looked at Preparing and did not see specific pages, but in Bigger it clearly tells you to do this page in Handwriting (2 book choices) and this page in grammar. I believe the schedule for math is in an appendix in the back of the book.

Anyway, there were a couple of the other books I did not like, like Witnesses to All the World, which seemed more for an adult. Also, my kids go to an art school one day a week, so we didn't need to art and music. We also did Trail Guide to US geography last year, so I didn't feel the need to go in depth with a state study again. I think I can do a President study for less money. I also think my 8th grader is ready for some lit. analysis, so I would have to add another program for that.

If you will use all these elements, I think it is well worth it. For us, I mainly wanted it for history and part of the Bible resources. I decided to make my own schedule instead of paying $90 for theirs, with books I already own or will get used or from the library. If I had known about the used group, I would have (and may still) tried to find the TM used.

I have not tried to "bash" MFW-it's just not for us. There are tons of history-led programs out there and they're all different, leaving us with the difficult choice to find what works for our family. For what it's worth, I've also tried Sonlight (3 times) & TOG (just once so far!) and those have not worked for us either. I guess I just like to pull the pieces I want together and do my own thing. What can I say, I'm a rebel!:coolgleamA:

I have not tried to "bash" MFW-it's just not for us. There are tons of history-led programs out there and they're all different, leaving us with the difficult choice to find what works for our family. For what it's worth, I've also tried Sonlight (3 times) & TOG (just once so far!) and those have not worked for us either. I guess I just like to pull the pieces I want together and do my own thing. What can I say, I'm a rebel!:coolgleamA:

No, you aren't a rebel, just better at the planning than I am. I tried for years (try 7 years) to put it together, and I never made it flow right. I felt like I was either hyper-planning or just not doing anything near what I felt we wanted/needed. The mfw thing has helped me in that we always do what's in the plans, and sometimes we do extras. When I'm exhausted and hurrying or just not in the mood to do anything else, I feel good that we are able to get everything done and it's right there. I think I like the ability to go overboard when I can or just stick to the plan when I can't do more. :) I thought I'd buy it and stick to all of their suggestions for math, grammar, writing, etc. I realize now, though, that I probably will never stop tinkering with those elements. ;)