Menu

What are your favorite living science books?

mominbc

Archimedes and the Door of Science by Jeanne Bendick

Galen and the Gateway to Medicine by Jeanne Bendick

The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Katherine Lasky

Along Came Galileo by Jeanne Bendick

Marie Curie's Search for Radium by Beverly Birch

Mathematicians are People, Too - Luetta and Wally Reimer

The Story of Thomas Alva Edison - Margaret Cousins

The Joy of Science by Joyce Hakim

This isn't specifically science, but just today I picked up from the library a lovely book from the 1960s called String, Straightedge and Shadow: The Story of Geometry by Julia E. Diggins. I believe it's recently been reprinted. It has the same look and feel as Jeanne Bendick's books and is nicely written and illustrated.

Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei by Peter Sis

Let's Read and Find Out About Science series

Magic School Bus books and videos

Usborne Science books

Kingfisher Science books

Top Readers series (found at Barnes and Noble)

Do you have a good library near by? We started to purchase several books, but have found our library to be such a great resource, we now by only what we will have to use multiple times in the year or something our library does not carry.

HTH :)

These are what I consider 'Everybody Books' or 'Picture Books' but they are amongst my favorites:

In the Woods, Whose Been Here by Lindsay Barrett George as well as In the Snow... In the Garden... and Around the Pond... actually, most anything by her is great. I also love anything by Jim Arnosky and Jean Craighead George.

They engage the reader and invite discussion... allow for connections with nature.

Edited by Makita

I know this will sound idiotic but I am new to HSing :) What does "living science" actually mean? Thanks!

From Jimmie's Squidoo Lens:

"Books that are so engaging you don't want to put them down. Your children will beg for "just one more chapter." And you, the adult, even enjoy living books. They are classic. When the book ends, you feel sorry that there is not more. These books engage your thoughts and imagination with the vivid narrative and realistically portrayed characters."

Give your children living ideas, encounters with great minds, and they will never forget them.

Thanks for the explanation :)

From Jimmie's Squidoo Lens:

"Books that are so engaging you don't want to put them down. Your children will beg for "just one more chapter." And you, the adult, even enjoy living books. They are classic. When the book ends, you feel sorry that there is not more. These books engage your thoughts and imagination with the vivid narrative and realistically portrayed characters."

Give your children living ideas, encounters with great minds, and they will never forget them.

My kids' favourites are the various books by Tiner- History of Medicine, History of Chemistry etc. They are fussy actually, and many science books- including Archimedes etc have been a flop, but Tiner seems to speak to them.

Nicole, I am looking at this book for Living Math. Have you read it?

This isn't specifically science, but just today I picked up from the library a lovely book from the 1960s called String, Straightedge and Shadow: The Story of Geometry by Julia E. Diggins.

Peela,

How is The History of Chemistry? I just purchased The History of Mathematics since my dc enjoyed Exploring Planet Earth and Exploring the History of Medicine.

Not yet, though I have skimmed it a bit. I only just picked it up at the library yesterday. There seems to be some dated stuff about cavemen grunting by the fire, but the stuff about the Egyptians and Greeks looks good. I'll report back once we have a closer look.

My kids' favourites are the various books by Tiner- History of Medicine, History of Chemistry etc. They are fussy actually, and many science books- including Archimedes etc have been a flop, but Tiner seems to speak to them.

I could not interest my boys in the Archimedes book either. I'll check these out! Thank you.

We're reading The Planets, by Dava Sobel right now (as part of our study of the Solar System) and it's v. interesting - ds has studied the Solar System in the PH Science Explorer book, and Sobel's "take" is much more poetic. Seems like it will be a nice book, if not exactly a "living book."

We're reading The Planets, by Dava Sobel right now (as part of our study of the Solar System) and it's v. interesting "

Thank you for this suggestion. I had no idea that this is the same author who wrote Longitude: The Story of the Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

We were telling a neighbor how much my dss loved Carry On, Mr. Bowditch. He offered his copy of the Sobel book to complement it. Fascinating.

Come to think of it, you could definitely use the Bowditch book for science if you aren't using it for American history.

We're reading The Planets, by Dava Sobel right now (as part of our study of the Solar System) and it's v. interesting - ds has studied the Solar System in the PH Science Explorer book, and Sobel's "take" is much more poetic. Seems like it will be a nice book, if not exactly a "living book."

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I love her books, and have The Planets on the shelf, but haven't started reading it yet. My oldest son asked if that could be a read-aloud, and this is a good reminder to get to it.

I don't know the ages of your kids, obviously, but if you've got youngers (5 and up), they might enjoy Clara Dillingham Pierson's "Among the ___ People" series. It includes forest, night, meadow, farm, and pond critters. My daughter LOVED every one of the books and can't wait to re-read them with her younger brother. They're available from The Baldwin Project/Yesterday's Classics.

Oh--caveat: Folks who don't like talking or otherwise anthropomorphized animals need not apply. ;)

Edited by laylamcb

I don't know the ages of your kids, obviously, but if you've got youngers (5 and up), they might enjoy Clara Dillingham Pierson's "Among the ___ People" series. It includes forest, night, meadow, farm, and pond critters. My daughter LOVED every one of the books and can't wait to re-read them with her younger brother. They're available from The Baldwin Project/Yesterday's Classics.

Oh--caveat: Folks who don't like talking or otherwise anthropomorphized animals need not apply. ;)

:iagree: This is a GREAT series. I'm reading them with my 5- and 6-year-olds right now, and they beg for the next chapter. After each chapter we look up pictures online and usually can find a video clip of the animal or bird, too. I'm amazed how many details they're learning. (And the morals woven in don't hurt either--they're not at all obtrusive).

I have been curious about these books. I'm excited to hear they are a hit. I think my kids would love them:)

Are you the author of the Living Math site, then? Or are you doing Living Math?

We have taken to drawing geometric constructions at the end of every math lesson, as an incentive to get through the "boring" stuff like fractions, rates, percents, etc. So this afternoon while my son was drawing, I read him the first several chapters. This is just a lovely, lovely book. She is not a young earth person, so some may have to edit those few lines (in the same way that I make the language inclusive as I read ;).) And she does talk about prehistoric peoples as being frightened, which always annoys me (how would we know?), but we did have a nice discussion about that. Those are the only, imho, very small distractions in a truly wonderful book.

Are you the author of the Living Math site, then? Or are you doing Living Math?

No, Julie Brennan is the talent behind the Living Math site. I will be using it to supplement Saxon next year for my youngest who will also be studying Ancient History. She has an extensive book list that could be useful for science too. I've linked you to the first unit for the intermediate level. Thanks for your review of the book. I've ordered it from the library.

Peela,

How is The History of Chemistry? I just purchased The History of Mathematics since my dc enjoyed Exploring Planet Earth and Exploring the History of Medicine.

Basically the same style. My ds13 is enjoying it. Both my kids go to a Science class, but I felt to do something else at home, without tackling a whole science program, and Tiner books are good for that.

Too many to name here! The One Small Square series is excellent. Everything by Seymour Simon and Isaac Asimov is excellent. The Let's-Read-and-Find-Out series is terrific (various authors). Millicent Selsam has out a bunch of good science themed books for children. DK's Eye Wonder books are less busy than the Eyewitness series. Kingfisher has out a similar, more simplified series of science books.