Menu

Best Gift ever

This in rebuttal to the worst gift ever thread.

My DH who is so piratical and does not believe in spending money for anything useless ( I am the exact opposite!) bought me an electric blanket that had duel controls so my side could be nice and toasty and his would not have to be on. It is one of the few gifts I have years latter.

:bigear:

My DH who is so piratical and does not believe in spending money for anything useless ( I am the exact opposite!) bought me an electric blanket that had duel controls so my side could be nice and toasty and his would not have to be on. It is one of the few gifts I have years latter.

Wow! In the first place, I was about to put up a rebuttal post of Best Gift Ever; you beat me to it. And secondly, an electric blanket was one of mine, too, but in a weird way. My dh gave me one when we were dating. At the time I was living in the un-heated basement of my parent's house. So an electric blanket was an astoundingly thoughtful and perceptive gift. It also represented him perfectly: he's nothing if not practical. But my girlfriends were horrified. "An electric blanket?!" They were getting gold necklaces and junk that has probably been sent away now in one of those "Turn your unwanted gold into cash!" envelopes. :D

I've got two, but you have to promise not to laugh.

1. A nice book shelf (I love books and yes I am a nerd)

2. He told me I could discard some furniture he bought a few years back and fix my living room up anyway I want.

It sounds silly, but I am the only women in the house. We had two teenage BIL living with us (2nd moving out soon) and so the house looks like a guy house. We couldn't get furniture that was too nice because his brothers are a bit rough with stuff and it wouldn't last. So fo me these were great gifts. I not planning on getting fancy, but what women doesn't look forward to fixing her home according to her taste?

:lol: I think a lot of us are struggling because there are several good gifts to choose from in our histories, and we don't want our kids to see that xyz is really our favorite, not the clay ash tray they made us! :lol: Also for me, the best ones were sentimental, so it doesn't quite translate well without knowing the looooong history.

I'll give it a whirl though...

My dh gave me a weekend in a hotel all by myself. Room service, best ribs in the world, swimming at the pool where I was the only one, sleeping in, staying in jammies, not being responsible for another creature.... ahhh, it was divine! :D

My husband and kids made me a scrapbook for my 40th birthday. They secretly went around town taking pictures of themselves in some of our favorite places. They put a lot of time and effort into it. I didn't know what they were up to. My husband kept stealing them to go off alone and I kept getting mad because they wouldn't include me in their plans. Little did I know what they were actually doing.

My best gift ever with out a doubt was a pair of socks.

It is a long story, but the short version is that one year a pair of socks with butterflies on them was my only and my best birthday present. It was from the girl who is now my sister-in-law. She was working her way through college at the time and funds were really tight. My first husband and I had just decided to get a divorce. My mom and dad were having personal issues. A favorite uncle had recently died. My sister was deployed overseas. It was very low moment and having no one remember my birthday would have probably been too much for me.

But that one, small thoughtful gift from someone who couldn't afford much was the best present ever. I still have the socks twenty years later, and it still makes me cry. No present has ever come close to that pair of socks.

Okay, I've been given horses by my fil, my dh and my dh's cousins. The one from fil was for my first birthday after we were married. One horse from dh for giving birth to the triplets. The Arabians from the cousins. My pony cart is way up on the list too.

Dh gave me a gorgeous pair of gold earrings, love those. My dad gave me a lovely pair of pistols and a veeeery old statue of a bull. Mom has given me lots of antique furniture.

The children have given me hugs, kisses, bouquets of flowers from the side of the road, pictures that say "I love mom"!

I guess I am very low maintenance. My most appreciated gift was when my husband let me sleep in, took the girls to the zoo for most of the day, brought take-out dinner and gave me a nice back rub when the kids were in bed.

I still get teary-eyed when I recall that day.:tongue_smilie:

My best gift ever was the one my dh got me this year for my birthday. I picked it out and he actually bought it. Here's a picture of the leather bag. It's so nice and will certainly last my lifetime, but I've been hesitant to use it, like it's breakable or something. I wanted something like this for years.

It is silly.... a copy of The Polar Express. I had told my boyfriend (only dating less than two months and now he is my husband) that I loved that story that I read aloud in a classroom while doing volunteer work. I still love that book and as silly as it sounds for a 20 year old to get a children's book; it meant everything to me.

Easy. A 1973 Marantz 2230 Receiver, a pair of Marantz Imperial 7 speakers, and a Benjamin-Miracord turntable. Rock On!

Thanks Dad :D

Bill (who payed attention when the cover for Ziggy Stardust said "play this record loud" :tongue_smilie:)

2 gifts stand out....

One Christmas dh planned gifts with "A Gift of Christmas' Past," "A Gift of Christmas Present," and of course, "A Gift of Christmas' Future." It was absolutely incredible, thoughtful, and it ended up being very inexpensive as we were very broke at that time.

Another spur-of-the-moment gift....one night for "date night," which we never do because we never had any sitters, we ordered out, then played on itunes and played, then bought, a bunch of songs from our college years. We had so much fun remembering where and when we'd heard certain songs, where we went dancing, etc. We even danced and sang to some of them!

The next morning, as I was getting in the van, he gave me a CD he'd burned with all those itunes songs. He labeled it, "Date Night":001_wub:

*Things* mostly go past my radar. Intent gets my attention. :)

My most memorable birthday gift was from my dh, He went out early and got me some beautiful flowers and a card. Sounds basic enough, except upon reading the very thoughful and beautiful 'birthday card', I get to the bottom where he signed it and it said "Happy Anniversary". I asked him if he actually read the card. He said, "Yea, why?":001_huh: So I read the whole card to him. When I got to the bottom, the look on his face was priceless. I think that I still have that card. It was definitely the most memorable birthday I have ever had.

Got to love him.

A very simple, elegant gold filigree bracelet. When dh and I were first dating, he gave that to me for an Easter present. I was shocked. Here I was expecting some jelly beans and he gives me this. I was so touched. It simply never occured to me to do gifts for Easter. Now, I am not much of a jewelry person but this was the second most precious piece of jewelry I have ever received (my wedding/engagement rings probably top the list.) I need to take dh on a date and wear it.

My most memorable birthday gift was from my dh, He went out early and got me some beautiful flowers and a card. Sounds basic enough, except upon reading the very thoughful and beautiful 'birthday card', I get to the bottom where he signed it and it said "Happy Anniversary". I asked him if he actually read the card. He said, "Yea, why?":001_huh: So I read the whole card to him. When I got to the bottom, the look on his face was priceless. I think that I still have that card. It was definitely the most memorable birthday I have ever had.

Got to love him.

When my hubby was deployed the first time the Red Cross would have these massive boxes of greeting cards for them to go through. He would carefully dig through the box, find something appropriate and then use white-out to cover any "happy birthday" or whatever message was inside. He even took the time to match the color of the envelope to the card, even though the envelope was usually the wrong size. It was so cute.

My best gift ever with out a doubt was a pair of socks.

It is a long story, but the short version is that one year a pair of socks with butterflies on them was my only and my best birthday present. It was from the girl who is now my sister-in-law. She was working her way through college at the time and funds were really tight. My first husband and I had just decided to get a divorce. My mom and dad were having personal issues. A favorite uncle had recently died. My sister was deployed overseas. It was very low moment and having no one remember my birthday would have probably been too much for me.

But that one, small thoughtful gift from someone who couldn't afford much was the best present ever. I still have the socks twenty years later, and it still makes me cry. No present has ever come close to that pair of socks.

Your post moved me so much. I got misty eyed reading it. What a beautiful story. I am so glad that she is your sister-in-law now. I imagine you two are as close as real sister can be. :)

My best gift ever is probably going to seem very trite and cliche to some, but like yours came at a time when I was at a very low point. I was at as low a point as a person can get and that gift was knowledge that God was real and that He loved me. I never was sure before that day and then on that day He touched my heart and my life and I have never been the same again. All my sadness, pain, depression, misery was gone in an instant and I felt true joy for the first time in my life. I cannot think about it without tears rolling down my cheeks and feeling the overwhelming desire to fall on my face before the Lord and just tell him over and over how grateful I am.

Thank you Lord. I love you so much!! You are the greatest gift I have ever received!!

Edited by Ibbygirl

I love horses. I had them from age 13 to age 25. Then I had children and moved to the city and left my country life behind me. Seventeen years later, my DH and I are finally moving to a farm! After years and years of wanting to live in the country again -here we come! So the FIRST thing I do is go horse shopping. I found the most beautiful horse! But she was way to expensive. So I told the lady no. At this time, I am living in WI waiting to sell our house and DH is living on the farm in AR. When I get to AR for my monthly visit, guess what shows up in a big ol horse trailer? That beautiful horse! He had called the lady and bought her and had her shipped to our farm. OMG! I was dumbfounded! My first horse in 17 years! Nothing will ever beat that gift! ( She's the one in my avitar)

But years before, DH had headed off to town to the hardware store. He tells me he'll be back in an hour or so. Well, like FIVE HOURS later I am worried to death. This is the world before cell phones! I can not for the life of me figure out where he might have gone. He was NOT someone to disapear! So, he pulls up in the driveway with.........

A bouquet of flowers

A box of chocolates

Groceries to cook me my favorite dinner

A plaque from Things Remembered that is engraved with our name on it!

Turns out.....it's our third anniversary and I FORGOT!

Then, after dinner, as we get into bed, he pulls out a jewelry box and gives me a gold necklace! ( we were broke at the time, it was a big deal!)

I will NEVER live this down!

My best gift as a child was given the year I was 7, I think. There was only one thing that I really, REALLY wanted, but I didn't usually get what I wanted. Well, I did that year. I opened a gift from my grandmother, who hated shopping, and found a towel. It was a pretty towel, but still a towel. That was not what I wanted. As I pulled it out to show everyone, my desired present fell out! It was a little rubber alligator with a tootsie roll in its mouth. I kept him for years. He always found an interesting place to hide in my mother's bed on April Fools Day. :)

My favorite present as an adult was several years back. I had given my dh a Bits and Pieces catalog with all sorts of things circled and he bought a bunch of things. I knew what was coming (he left the receipt out.)but I could hardly wait to get my hands on the new mechanical puzzles and puzzle box and more. I had a lot of fun.

My oldest dd is without a doubt the best gift giver. Two years ago she paid for family portraits for Christmas which are still not in frames. So last year she took a baby picture of each of the kids and had the framed in two frames that hold three pictures each. The frames were exactly my style too.