Menu

Yikes! Song lyrics on the radio...

So, we're driving back from church and BonJovi is on the radio. It's not one of my faves but it's ok. Then I hear... "I wake up and french kiss the morning..." Most of the lyrics were pretty bad. I never really listened closely to the song before. My kids don't remark on it but I'm just shaking my head. Were all the songs from when I was younger that bad? Have I blocked them from my memory?

Hmm, the ones that were all the rage when I was younger include:

Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rumpshaker"

69 Boyz's "Tootsie Roll"

(and a whole slate of others about the same body part)

Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up"

Boyz II Men's "I'll Make Love To You"

(and a whole slate of others about the same activity)

and of course Divinyl's "I Touch Myself," which was played about 3 times per bus ride to and from school.

In other words, it's not new. In my opinion.

What's wrong with french kissing the morning. ? While some marching band keeps its own beat in my head while we're talking...about all of the things that I long to believe..about love, the truth, what you mean to me and the truth is...baby you're all that I need. I wanna lay you down on a bed of roses, for tonight I sleep on a bed of nails. Oh, I want to be...just as close as...the holy ghost is...and lay you down on a bed of roses.

The song is about a man who lives his life going from this woman to that woman (likely a famous person/rockstar/whatever) but is never truly happy. He is in love with someone else, but his life just doesn't allow him to be with her. I like the song, actually...and as far as 80's hairband songs go, that one is nothin'! LOL

Yep. They were that bad. It's just that you were listening with your "mom ears" on rather than your "I like the music and it had a good beat" ears. The same with books and movies. I will see a movie or book and want to share it with my son. Then I watch or read it again and my eyes bug out of my head at some of the stuff!

I had an epiphany about music lyrics when my oldest was a preschooler and he was singing the raunchy words to a song that I hadn't given much thought to. Did I really want that in my kids' heads? Now, when I am driving, the radio is on a Christian music station, a Relevent Radio (a Catholic talk station (depending on the topic) or NPR. Unfortunatly, DH has no such concerns:(.

Hmm, the ones that were all the rage when I was younger include:

Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rumpshaker"

69 Boyz's "Tootsie Roll"

(and a whole slate of others about the same body part)

Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up"

Boyz II Men's "I'll Make Love To You"

(and a whole slate of others about the same activity)

and of course Divinyl's "I Touch Myself," which was played about 3 times per bus ride to and from school.

In other words, it's not new. In my opinion.

You down with OPP? Yeah, you know me!

I spent a fair amount of my youth in a roller rink.:D

When I hear songs from that era (late 70's - mid 80's) and really listen to their lyrics, I cringe. "Little Red Corvette" comes to mind. When I heard them as a youth, I didn't understand them as I do now. Half the time I couldn't figure them out...

That being said, I still let my kids listen to a lot of stuff most board members would find objectionable if it has a good beat...

K

I spent a fair amount of my youth in a roller rink.:D

When I hear songs from that era (late 70's - mid 80's) and really listen to their lyrics' date=' I cringe. "Little Red Corvette" comes to mind. When I heard them as a youth, I didn't understand them as I do now. Half the time I couldn't figure them out...[/quote']

Oooh I was right there with you girl!! I used to LOVE to go skating on Friday/Saturday nights. I didn't understand what "hot stuff" Donna Summer was looking for back then, but I do now. ;) :D hehe

Yep. They were that bad. It's just that you were listening with your "mom ears" on rather than your "I like the music and it had a good beat" ears.

That's it exactly! Although my kids weren't paying attention, I guess I was a little more aware of the lyrics because of them. But if they are anything like me as a kid(I hope not); they won't get the meaning to some songs.

You down with OPP? Yeah, you know me!

!! I knew I forgot a good one! And what was that other one...Digital Underground's Humpty Dance...My name is Humpty,pronounced with an Umpty. (Phonics, anyone?)

For a while in high school (a long while), we had radio interference on the phone. It was really hard to talk to people while various 2 Live Crew songs were playing.

Anyway, there are much older ones too. How about some Ella Fitzgerald. I have a CD with these weird songs from the 50s or something, and my favorite is the one with the squealing brakes and sounds of a motorcycle crashing. Scary stuff. And apparently the car crash song is a sub-genre?!

What's wrong with french kissing the morning. ? While some marching band keeps its own beat in my head while we're talking...about all of the things that I long to believe..about love, the truth, what you mean to me and the truth is...baby you're all that I need. I wanna lay you down on a bed of roses, for tonight I sleep on a bed of nails. Oh, I want to be...just as close as...the holy ghost is...and lay you down on a bed of roses.

The song is about a man who lives his life going from this woman to that woman (likely a famous person/rockstar/whatever) but is never truly happy. He is in love with someone else, but his life just doesn't allow him to be with her. I like the song, actually...and as far as 80's hairband songs go, that one is nothin'! LOL

I find it so intersesting that folks can hear the same song and get different meanings from it. To me, the song is about Jon Bon Jovi (or any other singer) who goes on tour away from the woman he loves.

Well Im so far away

That each step that I take is on my way home

A kings ransom in dimes Id given each night

Just to see through this payphone

Still I run out of time

Or its hard to get through

Till the bird on the wire flies me back to you

Ill just close my eyes and whisper,

Baby our love is true

When you close your eyes

Know Ill be thinking about you

While my mistress she calls me

To stand in her spotlight again

Tonite I wont be alone

But you know that dont

Mean Im not lonely Ive got nothing to prove

For its you that Id die to defend

To me, the spotlight and not alone is about performing in front of a crowd.

They were that bad, but there are far worse ones on now. We won't let ds listen to the horrible "beat up your whore" kind of songs, nor the suicide is the way to go kind. Both were out there before (I still find Don't Fear The Reaper catchy), but now it's more blatant.

(Gotta say I'm :lol::lol: about the Umpty-Humpty post!)

I agree with Dirty Ethel--We've got our mom :bigear: on now!

Cuz I just cringe when I hear "Pour Some Sugar On Me!" now--I can't believe I used to blast it out my car windows in the younger days. Gosh-I'm blushing as I type this now! :lol:

I was really irritated with the movie Disney movie "Chicken Little" where they had the song "If Ya Wanna Be My Lover..." playing. Why put that song in a kid's movie?! Of course, my 6 yo decided to sing it at church. :scared:

I find it so intersesting that folks can hear the same song and get different meanings from it. To me, the song is about Jon Bon Jovi (or any other singer) who goes on tour away from the woman he loves.

Well Im so far away

That each step that I take is on my way home

A kings ransom in dimes Id given each night

Just to see through this payphone

Still I run out of time

Or its hard to get through

Till the bird on the wire flies me back to you

Ill just close my eyes and whisper,

Baby our love is true

When you close your eyes

Know Ill be thinking about you

While my mistress she calls me

To stand in her spotlight again

Tonite I wont be alone

But you know that dont

Mean Im not lonely Ive got nothing to prove

For its you that Id die to defend

To me, the spotlight and not alone is about performing in front of a crowd.

:iagree: That's the way I've always taken it. From what I understand, he wrote this for his girlfriend, who then became his wife in 1989 (I believe that was the year). They're still married with 4 kids. Yes, I'm a Jovi fan. :D

we don't listen to any radio because it's 99.9% garbage, but that doesn't keep my kids from hearing:

'I kissed a girl and i liked it' (sung by a girl, just in case you are fortuante enough to have missed it)

as we walk through the cosmetics area of Dillards.

:cursing:

O is for other, P is for people..... :001_huh:

Yeah, even the old songs aren't squeaky clean. Let's go back to 70's disco - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! A Man After Midnight, Hot Stuff, anything Barry White sang... And Queen - oh boy. :001_huh:

DH has the Queen Greatest Hits - it was a shocker to hear my 4 yo (at the time) singing "Fat bottom girls you make the rocking world go round!"