Menu

How Many of You Are Considered Relaxed,Eclectic or Unschoolers?

When my two teens were young, we were very relaxed. However, that is the point where I realized how close classical and unschooling really is. The continuum is circular with the two methods pretty close (at least that is how it looked here), not linear with them at opposite ends. The 6yo isn't mine (I just school him). He's got a strong classical elementary education starting. I do love doing this with him and wish my kids had that also. But I'm glad they had what they had also.

I'm definitely eclectic. I started out with unit studies, found WTM and loved the idea of classical, realized that it just didn't work with my kids, and now I pick and choose all kinds of different things. I wish I could consider myself a relaxed homeschooler. I think I'm far too stressed about getting things done and holding myself up to some sort of standard. I need to be more relaxed, but don't know how to be.

I call myself a classical unschooler, even though I realize that sounds like an oxymoron. There used to be someone on the old boards named "Butch" and she had a blog entry about her classical unschooling method and that is what we do mostly. I love TWTM with a passion, but we don't follow her schedules. I try to find real-life ways to teach things, but I also realize that sometimes you have to learn from an expert in an area and that is usually through books they write!

I am trying to get away from "grade-level" material and work more towards ungraded programs that get us to the same place. I am not using Rod & Staff for that reason (even though I may pick them up here and there to get the writing lessons from them.)

I am not a true unschooler in that I make my dc do things they might not want to do. This includes things that are hard because I have a couple of dc that will only do things they find easy (so no challenging material.)

These posts have been a great way to see how others define themselves!

Most of the time we are pretty relaxed. And some days we unschool. It depends on what is happening that day. I've generally tended to use methods and materials that suit each child but sometimes it really has been a matter of finding what fits into our daily schedule. I think that dh and I would really prefer it if the children would take more control and initiative in educational decisions and we encourage that to the extent that the children are willing to do it within reason (neither child would willingly choose to do math on their own).

Yes, eclectic just doesnt equal relaxed in my understanding. I always took it to mean that one simply doesn't fit into any one box, and one draws from a variety of publishers and perhaps even approaches. But one can be eclectic and relaxed, or eclectic and far from relaxed.

What I am finding is that as my kids get older I am more relaxed. I was pretty "uptight" in my rigidity about our schooling in the past. As time goes on- the kids still do their daily work- but I have picked curricula that suits us rather than is the most academic or highest standard in all subjects, and I no longer get upset if we dont start right on time in the morning, or if something comes and interferes with our routine. I also am making sure not to miss out on those "life learning lessons" like cleaning and finances and how to catch public transport :) because I feel they are just as important as the books at this stage.

However, I am also very glad we have done what we have done in the past- a huge number of books, intense grammar, daily maths etc because it allows us to take the time to focus on what feels important at the moment, and not have to focus intensely on "everything".

When my two teens were young, we were very relaxed. However, that is the point where I realized how close classical and unschooling really is. The continuum is circular with the two methods pretty close (at least that is how it looked here), not linear with them at opposite ends.

I love how you put this. :iagree: It describes my family very well also.

Okay I am strange. We are definetely eclectic kind of relaxed kind of rigourous classical homeschoolers. We have done a number of things in the classical way but I don't like some materials or approaches of certain classical materials. I consider us sort of relaxed because we can't be any other way with both of my girls and myself having medical issues and all of us moving on a regular basis but not on any schedule we design or can anticipate. On the other hand, we school almost all the time. I do, however, consider our vacations and trips to be some of our best learning opportunities. Some may call me unstructured since I have to adapt programs and curricula to my girls but it is structured in my estimation, just not structured in hte way the families who use all ABEKA or all BJU or all anything seem to think.

We're unschoolers. We were relaxed homeschoolers for over a year after unschooling for a while, and now we've returned to unschooling. Even during our relaxed year, I never forced the kids into doing school work. I've always preferred them to want to do it as I believe the learning is more meaningful to them. Our parenting style is more like radical unschoolers. We don't do discipline, punishment, limits, etc. We call it mindful parenting and it's just been natural for us to be that way since our children were born. Occasionally I get caught up in the schooly stuff because I have a passion for educational stuff. The kids play along with me because I don't insist that programs be followed to the letter, even though I highly prefer complete homeschool programs like K12 and Sonlight.

Just call us 'go with the flow' type people.

Wow, since this thread is so old, I posted the above in Feb. 2008. Most of it is still true. We are no longer true unschoolers. DH began feeling uncomfortable and added a couple of must-do's. When I went back to work in August 2008, he was the one spending the most time with them and decided to put them back into K12. It's a good strong program but I liked it more than the kids.

I quit work in January 2009 and took over the homeschooling again. I began modifying K12 in a way the children wanted it. We've taken off several weeks at various times between then and now just because it was getting to be too much. I've currently revamped our schedule to be more relaxed, still respecting my DH's wishes, but using materials that aren't freaking out my children. We still live the same lifestyle though, with no discipline, punishment, limits, etc. It's worked for us for years. My kids don't run wild. In fact, they've always been the most behaved and reserved in all our dealings with groups of kids. I believe in modeling respect and it's paid off. I have great kids. :)

Wow, since this thread is so old, I posted the above in Feb. 2008. Most of it is still true. We are no longer true unschoolers. DH began feeling uncomfortable and added a couple of must-do's. When I went back to work in August 2008, he was the one spending the most time with them and decided to put them back into K12. It's a good strong program but I liked it more than the kids.

I quit work in January 2009 and took over the homeschooling again. I began modifying K12 in a way the children wanted it. We've taken off several weeks at various times between then and now just because it was getting to be too much. I've currently revamped our schedule to be more relaxed, still respecting my DH's wishes, but using materials that aren't freaking out my children. We still live the same lifestyle though, with no discipline, punishment, limits, etc. It's worked for us for years. My kids don't run wild. In fact, they've always been the most behaved and reserved in all our dealings with groups of kids. I believe in modeling respect and it's paid off. I have great kids. :)

Thanks for the update Beth, I was curious!;)