Menu

What are your kids reading right now?

My teen dd is feeling she does not want to see Inkheart. It's not that the book was so great; it's not. She has seen the trailers and has told me that she believes the main character has been misrepresented completely.

I did not read it, so I do not know.

We have a love/hate relationship with books made into movies. We are often eager to see the director's interpretation of the text, and we are often dissapointed. Yet we can't quite stay away.

My 9 yr old says that the only book -to -movie she finds true to the author is Bridge to Terabithia. I was suprised by that. But there you go.

Edited by LibraryLover

13 year old (Thousand Year War "Uncle Eric" book) and Raising the Dragons series, Men of Iron

10 year old (she has 7 books at one time, just finished "A Cricket in Times Square", "The Borrowers" and is still reading "Little Women", "A Murder for her Majesty", "Raising Dragons", "Phanton Stallion")

9 year old (The Borrowers series and A Cricket in Times Square)

12 yo ds-just finished All Creatures Great and Small, now on All Things Bright and Beautiful.

7 yo ds-rereading The Faraway Tree for the third time-since Christmas! I am also reading through the Chronicles of Narnia with him-just started The Silver Chair.

School RA for 7 yo and 12 yo is Pyle's King Arthur. It's a big of a slog but we're managing.

8yo ds: finishing up Ginger Pye, starting on Goonie Bird Greene, also reading Machines & How They Work.

5yo dd: says she can't read anything but the Bob books are too easy. She read a nf book about butterflies to me this week while waiting in the dr's office. She cracks me up.

1yo dd: The Target ad. It had ducks in it, & she tore it open to get to them, so she could stare at them & Quack.

6mo ds: the newspaper. It's all over the house, for packing, & he manages to find it & rip it apart. Literally. :lol:

My teen dd is feeling she does not want to see Inkheart. It's not that the book was so great; it's not. She has seen the trailers and has told me that she believes the main character has been misrepresented completely.

I did not read it, so I do not know.

We have a love/hate relationship with books made into movies. We are often eager to see the director's interpretation of the text, and we are often dissapointed. Yet we can't quite stay away.

My 9 yr old says that the only book -to -movie she finds true to the author is Bridge to Terabithia. I was suprised by that. But there you go.

I thought the first Harry Potter movie was pretty true to the book - so much better than the following movies, anyway.

I agree with your dd. I saw the trailer (just finished the book) and honestly thought maybe I had mistakenly clicked the wrong link. I also would have never chosen the actor who plays Mo - totally not how I pictured him in my mind. I see him and instantly think "Dudley Do Right" and that is just oh so ...wrong.

My 9yo son recently finished:

Howard Pyle, The Wonder Clock

Nancy Farmer, The House of the Scorpion

Nancy Farmer, The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm

Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales

Kathryn Lasky, The Librarian who Measured the Earth

L. Frank Baum, most of the Oz books

Currently reading:

Edward Eggleston, Stories of American Life and Adventure

Anita Ganeri, Earth and Space: Fascinating Facts About Our World & Space

About to start:

Nancy Farmer, The Sea of Trolls

Do audio books count? My first two have listened to most of their reading via cd/tapes. and my 6 year old will wear out a book but she can only do the basic words for now. nothing too complex

so...for fun my kids are reading:

17ds audio book: Henty's Right to Conquest (I think that is the name)

real books: TH Whites The Once and Future King

9 dd InkHeart (real book), Fairest - audio

6 dd Fun With Pets (and very proud of herself if I may say so)

Does your ds11 like Inkheart? I am reading it right now (my son wants to see the movie and I told him he had to read the book first. Now I am reading it so I can see the movie with him. I don't like to watch movies based on books when I haven't read the book). Thus far, I am not enthused. I was just wondering if this is more appealing to a kid than it is to an adult?

My daughter read Inkheart a few years ago and fell completely in love with it. She has re-read it multiple times and has read both sequels. I read most of Inkheart at her insistence a couple of years ago and then set it aside.

Then all three of us listened to the audiobook in the car a couple of months ago. My son and I both enjoyed it very much. We're all, shall we say, ambivalent about the movie, since much of the casting seems wrong and the previews don't seem to have much to do with the book.

For what it's worth, I think this is a real "book person" book. It will appeal most to people who don't just "like to read" but who consider books their best friends.

DS (Almost 11)- Detectives in Toags for school, Dark Hills Divide (Elyon) and Sherlock Holmes for fun

DD (9) - Just finsihed Plain Girl and Gone Away Lake for School, waiting on The Wolves of Willoughby Chase from the library, A Wrinkle in Time for fun

DD (7)- Charlotte's Web for school, Ivy and Bean books for fun

DD (5) - just finsished Saxon K phonics and has started reading "First Steps" the first Pathway Reader to me -- yeah another reader in the house.

I am currently strating For the Temple by Henty-- a sort of pre-read for DS.

Does your ds11 like Inkheart? I am reading it right now (my son wants to see the movie and I told him he had to read the book first. Now I am reading it so I can see the movie with him. I don't like to watch movies based on books when I haven't read the book). Thus far, I am not enthused. I was just wondering if this is more appealing to a kid than it is to an adult?

Well, my son is reading it for much the same reason you are - DH told him he couldn't see the movie unless he read the book first ;). He does seem to like it well enough so far, but he's about 100 pages in and said today that, "nothing's happened yet," which he seems to find a bit frustrating. Hopefully it will pick up for him soon and he'll be able to get into it more.

SBP

Well, my son is reading it for much the same reason you are - DH told him he couldn't see the movie unless he read the book first ;). He does seem to like it well enough so far, but he's about 100 pages in and said today that, "nothing's happened yet," which he seems to find a bit frustrating. Hopefully it will pick up for him soon and he'll be able to get into it more.

SBP

I finally finished the book last night. The last 200 pages or so were worth reading. However, I admit that I was bored stiff through the first 350. :( The action was just not all that interesting to me and it really seemed to drag on and on and on when it didn't have to.

The movie...OMG...could anything BE more different than a book? I mean, where in the world did the Wizard of Oz and the tornado thing come from? I don't think the book even so much as mentions the Wizard of Oz...much less bases the ending on it. How weird. That is one of the most ridiculous uses of literary license I have ever seen!

My daughter read Inkheart a few years ago and fell completely in love with it. She has re-read it multiple times and has read both sequels. I read most of Inkheart at her insistence a couple of years ago and then set it aside.

Then all three of us listened to the audiobook in the car a couple of months ago. My son and I both enjoyed it very much. We're all, shall we say, ambivalent about the movie, since much of the casting seems wrong and the previews don't seem to have much to do with the book.

For what it's worth, I think this is a real "book person" book. It will appeal most to people who don't just "like to read" but who consider books their best friends.

Yes, the movie is just absurd!

I agree, it is for a "book person." I do a lot of reading, but books are not my life. Perhaps that made a differnce. I was also reading just on the heels of the Twilight series and, well, let's just say it didn't "suck me in" quite the same way. Perhaps this is a book that is much more for children than for adults.

Ellie (9yod) is reading McCaughrean's The Odyssey (for school), Trumpet of the Swan (my pick for reading) and one of the Babysitter's Club books (her pick for reading).

Mac (4yos) is working on the first two BOB books. We're also reading Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter.

We're on the waiting list for Inkheart at the library. Ellie's not sure if she wants to see the movie, though. We read Spiderwick and The Tale of Despareaux then saw the movies; she was very disappointed that they didn't follow the books more closely.

ER is reading either Eldest or Brisingr by Christopher Paolini and House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. EK just finished The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers and is also reading one of Robin Jones Gunn's "Sierra Jensen" books. She is about to start The Shack by William P. Young. Unlike me, my kids usually have at least two books going at any given time.

Oldest son- House by Dekker & Peretti

Youngest son- Showdown by Dekker

Both are reading;

Tales of Soldiers and Civilians by Ambrose Bierce

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave, Written by Himself

Eyewitness to Gettysburg: The Story of Gettysburg As Told by the Leading Correspondent of His Day by Charles Coffin

Edited by RebeccaC

All three are reading Pilgrim's Progress (the younger two are reading the Abeka reader version)

DD12 is probably reading through her stack of fiction....she averages a book a day..lol. Her junk food reading is usually the Warrior series or something about dragons. I did see her reading Helen Keller last night too. She's also reading through an Arabian tale collection.

DDs8 are reading Helen Keller, and the Doll House People.

ER is reading either Eldest or Brisingr by Christopher Paolini and House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. EK just finished The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers and is also reading one of Robin Jones Gunn's "Sierra Jensen" books. She is about to start The Shack by William P. Young. Unlike me, my kids usually have at least two books going at any given time.

I am reading Eragon right now, but I definitely want to read the other two. I also put my name on the list at the library for The Shack. I have heard it is an awesome read.

I can't read two books at a time either. I get all kinds of confused. LOL

Guest Virginia Dawn

My 15yo is reading a book on the history of Robots and Star Wars novels.

My 9yo is working on the Chronicles of Narnia (4th book) and Gregor the Overlander (3rd book).

The 4yo has become obsessed with search and find books.