Menu

Tiny dresses?

BlsdMama

My freshman is attending a formal. She skipped a year so she just turned fourteen. She’s itty bitty at about 5’ and 90ish pounds. Where in the world do I look for a dress for her?? I’m not a shopper by nature so specific store recommendations would be great and preferably not insanely expensive.

Only issue I faced was not having any boobage so I was limited a bit in that department.

Lauren Ralph Lauren, JCrew, Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, Tahari have formal dresses and gowns that caters to me being short and flat. I do have to go to their outlet stores for lower prices or hunt for a good deal at Macy’s clearance racks.

• Like 1

Lauren Ralph Lauren, JCrew, Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, Tahari have formal dresses and gowns that caters to me being short and flat. I do have to go to their outlet stores for lower prices or hunt for a good deal at Macy’s clearance racks.

Yeahhh I was surprised my mother helped me pay for a dress at all.  We could not afford those places.

You might recall (or have seen) a store called Deb?  They had one near me and they had very inexpensive clothing including a lot of prom type dresses.  I never could wear any of them though because for some odd reason they were designed for twigs with large racks. 

The Tahari dresses are gorgeous. Macy's carries them. Downside, they are unlikely to be on sale this time of year with prom season upon us.

• Like 1

Another route you could go if you have time is to buy a dress on clearance somewhere and have it altered.  I got my wedding dress for $10 at David's Bridal.  The alternations cost $250.  There was just no way I was going to find a wedding dress that was ready to wear off the rack.  I don't think that's an insane amount to pay for a wedding dress and a formal/prom type dress is not going to cost quite that much to alter.

Ross and TJ Maxx often have a good selection of small sizes because they tend to get what is left over when the mall stores can’t sell them. Lots of 0’s and 2’s and not so many 10’s and 12’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My itty-bitties usually have to buy the closest fit and get it altered. 

Like Sassenach, we often have good luck at Ross's, also Marshal's and TJMaxx. When I say "good luck," I mean we find something that is cute and can be altered. 

Dresses for dances are easy compared to the challenge of trying to find professional clothes for college interviews and so on. My youngest has it a bit easier because she likes the male uniform of slacks/dress shirt/tie, and can usually find a close-ish fit in the boy's department. She's actually going "boi style" to prom this year as well. 

• Like 1

She is probably going to be size 00. DD16 has been in that size for a couple of years, though now is more of a 0.

If you have a Plato's Closet resale shop near you, you might look there. Ours has a lot of formal wear. We purchased DD's dress for her school formal dinner there (although she picked something that is dressy but not formal wear).

Of course, being a resale shop, it is hit or miss whether you will find something she likes in her size. But the prices will be better than a department store, so it may be worth a look.

I was in this spot last summer with a just-turned-13 year old who was in NYC and needed fancy dresses to wear out to the ballet. We had the best luck at Macy's. Their juniors' section had a good selection of dresses in size XXS. We also found some non-childish looking dresses in the girls' department. We ended up with 3 or 4 that she liked.