Menu

Winter Olympics

Katy

Alright, I have some questions about alpine skiing, at least the slalom, but possibly the other disciplines as well. My understanding is that the skiers may be familiar with the hill, but not with the specific gate setup before their run.

So the first skiers are more or less the guinea pigs, with other teams' coaches sending information on the gate setup to their skiers still waiting to go. This seems to unfairly disadvantage the first skiers, or advantage the later skiers.

Is my understanding on this correct? If so, what's the reasoning behind it? Why, for example, could each skier not get one practice run with the gate setup used in the race?

Also, how are the gates inserted and kept secure with as much as they get hit by skiers?

Alright, I have some questions about alpine skiing, at least the slalom, but possibly the other disciplines as well. My understanding is that the skiers may be familiar with the hill, but not with the specific gate setup before their run.

So the first skiers are more or less the guinea pigs, with other teams' coaches sending information on the gate setup to their skiers still waiting to go. This seems to unfairly disadvantage the first skiers, or advantage the later skiers.

Is my understanding on this correct? If so, what's the reasoning behind it? Why, for example, could each skier not get one practice run with the gate setup used in the race?

Also, how are the gates inserted and kept secure with as much as they get hit by skiers?

I wondered the same thing when I watched the men. The first two men down the slope completely missed the gate and then were out. With additional information, the later skiers had a lot less trouble.
  • Like 1

Unless things have changed, which could well be the case, the skiers do know the course and have a chance to both walk it and ski it before the competition. However, the conditions of the course will change, such as the iciness, the winds, the visibility, etc. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I don't know about how the gates are set-up, but can I rant that Bodie Miller is so incredibly boring?! His monotone is killing the slalom for me. The only time I had to rewind to listen to what he said was when he said the skier was terrible this year because she had gotten married

Ugh, the audacity! To think you can get married and still try to compete at the highest levels of a sport!

(hopefully it's obvious that this is sarcasm)

• Like 1

How about that hockey game!!!

The US women vs Canadian women? I always feel when important games like this one end in shoot outs, it's crummy. It sure was suspenseful to the end, though but I feel for the Canadians since it seems more like a lottery than a game when it's being decided this way.

• Like 2

The US women vs Canadian women? I always feel when important games like this one end in shoot outs, it's crummy. It sure was suspenseful to the end, though but I feel for the Canadians since it seems more like a lottery than a game when it's being decided this way.

The Canadian news has been saying that Americans deserved the win. They played a great game. Congrats!  

I'm more disappointed that my Canadian Olympic news didn't automatically inform me of the silver medal the hockey team won. They inform me of all the other medals. Was it because it wasn't the gold? Sometimes the Canadian media gets far too full of themselves when it comes to hockey. ;)

• Like 1

No matter how much short track I watch, it still looks like crazy to me! LOL

Anyone want to lay bets on how many maroon and burgundy figure skating costumes we’ll see to tonight? I think the gold medal should automatically go to the woman who wears turquoise, shamrock green, or orange.

Well, the first skater I saw tonight is in burgundy/maroon. She's from the US but is skating for Switzerland, her father's birthplace. 

Why do her skates have those slit-looking things on them? Her last name is Alexia Paganini. Anyone know about that kind of skates?

Edited by Angie in VA

No matter how much short track I watch, it still looks like crazy to me! LOL

Anyone want to lay bets on how many maroon and burgundy figure skating costumes we’ll see to tonight? I think the gold medal should automatically go to the woman who wears turquoise, shamrock green, or orange.

One of the women from Japan is wearing something pretty close to turquoise!

• Like 1

The last flight of ladies figure skaters just brought me to tears. So many wonderful programs skated with excellence. I wish they could have handed out 5 gold medals. I loved them all. And the music selections were great, too. Sophisticated, mature and brilliant. I have no idea how a 15 year old can skate with such confidence and grace. It just blows my mind. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

The last flight of ladies figure skaters just brought me to tears. So many wonderful program skated with excellence. I wish they could have handed out 5 gold medals. I loved them all.

I fell asleep and missed them all! I woke up just as the last skater was coming off the ice. I was really bummed when I tried to rewind to realize I was on live TV and couldn’t. Weir and Lipinski said it was the best ladies figure skating they could remember.
  • Like 2

I fell asleep and missed them all! I woke up just as the last skater was coming off the ice. I was really bummed when I tried to rewind to realize I was on live TV and couldn’t. Weir and Lipinski said it was the best ladies figure skating they could remember.

I agree. They were iron women out there with nailing their jumps. 

• Like 4

Well, I saw the silver medalist had those skates I mentioned above also. 

The performances were amazing! I wish I didn't know that this could be the only Olympic appearance of the gold and silver medalists, b/c it's that competitive in Russia. Plus Johnny Weir said as a skater you're always competing for the affection of your coach. I felt bad for the gold medalist b/c she was all alone when she realized she'd won. I was glad to see those two hug, though. 

What I didn't see this morning when I watched the DVR was the medal ceremony. I sure hope NBC didn't skip that b/c no US skater was on the podium. I hope I just missed it FFing through at the end. 

ETA: Oh! How could I fail to mention Canada's Gabby Daleman? I cried right along w/ her. It was so sad seeing her fall time and time again. She was so deflated. Poor thing. And I hope she does go to prom w/ that boy from Virginia Beach (with a security guard or two)!

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 4

I also feel bad for that Canadian hockey player who removed her silver medal immediately after receiving it. I remember the team captains' getting the medals during the US Miracle on Ice ceremony. Remember all those players crowding that podium? So sweet. Now they have a huge setup and they're in their uniforms. 

If there were more time for the players to, oh, I don't know, shower, change clothes, and gather their thoughts, I bet she could have been more gracious. Now she is dealing with the backlash. It was a close game and I know emotions ran high. 

• Like 3

Sometimes I just want to smack Canadian male sports announcers who think that men's hockey is the ONLY sport out there.  One bozo just undermined ALL 27 Canadian medals by saying that Canada is losing where it counts, in the men's hockey game against Germany.  What an idiot.  :cursing:   Sadly, he is one of many ignorant people on the radio claiming to be a "Sports announcer" when they are actually a hockey-only follower. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

I felt so bad for Gabby Daleman from Canada on the free skate.

ETA: I just wanted to see one of her coaches give her a big hug. (Also I get that she may not have wanted a big hug, which is fine. I just felt really sad for her.)

Edited by JIN MOUSA
  • Like 3

Well, I liked the Anna Karenina story better, but so can see why the other Russian won. She packed those jumps, including a triple triple, into the back half of the program which earns bonus points. It was strategic and she was a good enough jumper to make use of it. This gave her enough extra technical points that once again, artistic impression wasn’t enough to overcome the difference.

I am just glad it is over. I do not think I could take much more of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. I hope the company gets new commentators. I really disliked these two. They seemed a bit catty, egotistical, and snarky.

• Like 5

Well, I liked the Anna Karenina story better, but so can see why the other Russian won. She packed those jumps, including a triple triple, into the back half of the program which earns bonus points. It was strategic and she was a good enough jumper to make use of it. This gave her enough extra technical points that once again, artistic impression wasn’t enough to overcome the difference.

I am just glad it is over. I do not think I could take much more of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. I hope the company gets new commentators. I really disliked these two. They seemed a bit catty, egotistical, and snarky.

I don't mind them when they share important information. I know they're BFFs and can act silly when on air together, but since when did Scott Hamilton get to be the B team? Maybe he didn't want to do the live reporting. Maybe he likes just being a consultant who comes in the studio and does limited camera time. Maybe NBC is pandering to a younger, hipper audience. 

I preferred listening to and watching Scott Hamilton and Tanith White.

*Sigh*

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 5

Same here. Commentators should not be trying to steal the limelight and Tara and Johnny sure tried to make it about them. Also I grew weary that every time that Japanese skater was on the ice they felt the need to point out that her coaches have to work to get her to eat and sleep enough. I know that’s not technically gossip but they sure made it sound scandalous. Not necessary. Let the girl skate and leave off that kind of thing. Or at least don’t mention it every time.

• Like 4

We watched via BBC and their commentators seem to stick to describing the skating quality and elements - really enjoyed that part. I did not see any maroon costume except one. :)

I think it was in downhill skiing where we REALLY enjoyed the commentator who got very excited for every skiier who did well and peppered the broadcast with remarks like "You have to risk it for the biscuit," and "Awww, he is quite a bit behind - oh well, he took the scenic route."

• Like 6

I also feel bad for that Canadian hockey player who removed her silver medal immediately after receiving it. I remember the team captains' getting the medals during the US Miracle on Ice ceremony. Remember all those players crowding that podium? So sweet. Now they have a huge setup and they're in their uniforms. 

If there were more time for the players to, oh, I don't know, shower, change clothes, and gather their thoughts, I bet she could have been more gracious. Now she is dealing with the backlash. It was a close game and I know emotions ran high. 

Unfortunately, the media really push for gold or nothing in Olympic hockey. It's so arrogant, as if Canada has some magical hold over the sport. We have so many other talented athletes doing amazing things all the time, and yet "Sports radio" only means "Hockey radio" in this country. The announcers don't know much at all about any other sports. 

• Like 2

We watched via BBC and their commentators seem to stick to describing the skating quality and elements - really enjoyed that part. I did not see any maroon costume except one. :)

I think it was in downhill skiing where we REALLY enjoyed the commentator who got very excited for every skiier who did well and peppered the broadcast with remarks like "You have to risk it for the biscuit," and "Awww, he is quite a bit behind - oh well, he took the scenic route."

I really enjoyed the excited and supportive commentating for the men's Big Air snowboarding. Both the cbc guys and the Australian commentator I could hear in the background announcing live on-site, were wonderful. It made the event fun to watch, even though I know nothing about the tricks. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the media really push for gold or nothing in Olympic hockey. It's so arrogant, as if Canada has some magical hold over the sport. We have so many other talented athletes doing amazing things all the time, and yet "Sports radio" only means "Hockey radio" in this country. The announcers don't know much at all about any other sports. 

I think you guys should add "Curling Radio." :laugh:

• Like 2

Same here. Commentators should not be trying to steal the limelight and Tara and Johnny sure tried to make it about them. Also I grew weary that every time that Japanese skater was on the ice they felt the need to point out that her coaches have to work to get her to eat and sleep enough. I know that’s not technically gossip but they sure made it sound scandalous. Not necessary. Let the girl skate and leave off that kind of thing. Or at least don’t mention it every time.

The cbc commentators never mentioned this, but it does sound inappropriate. I did hear them mention the courage the Korean skater has to keep skating even though her mother passed away last year. They said that each and every athlete out there has a story of their journey to the games. Some are sad and serious, and some are more light hearted. 

• Like 1

I felt so bad for Gabby Daleman from Canada on the free skate.

ETA: I just wanted to see one of her coaches give her a big hug. (Also I get that she may not have wanted a big hug, which is fine. I just felt really sad for her.)

I did, too. She skated really well in the team event and did a fantastic job to help Canada win gold. She is a wonderful skater and I hope we see a lot more of her skating. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the excited and supportive commentating for the men's Big Air snowboarding. Both the cbc guys and the Australian commentator I could hear in the background announcing live on-site, were wonderful. It made the event fun to watch, even though I know nothing about the tricks.

My husband is the avid snowboarder in our household. I don't snowboard, I used to ski a bit off and on, but never touched a board in my life. I fell in love with the sport as a spectator watching the winter X-games, and have always enjoyed watching it just for the beauty of it.

Our CBC commentators for the snowboarding events have been SPECTACULAR!! So funny, and so warm about everyone - and the best part is the one guy REALLY does a wonderful job of explaining what we're watching, and talking about why this trick is more technical than the other snowboarder who did something similar.

I've learned SO much by listening to these two. I dunno who they even are, but I want to invite them over to hang out - they crack me up.

• Like 2

My husband is the avid snowboarder in our household. I don't snowboard, I used to ski a bit off and on, but never touched a board in my life. I fell in love with the sport as a spectator watching the winter X-games, and have always enjoyed watching it just for the beauty of it.

Our CBC commentators for the snowboarding events have been SPECTACULAR!! So funny, and so warm about everyone - and the best part is the one guy REALLY does a wonderful job of explaining what we're watching, and talking about why this trick is more technical than the other snowboarder who did something similar.

I've learned SO much by listening to these two. I dunno who they even are, but I want to invite them over to hang out - they crack me up.

The knowledgeable one is Craig McMorris, brother of snowboard medal winner, Mark McMorris. He's really good, and he's done a lot of athlete features on various Canadian olympic athletes. Check out the cbc website. I've linked one example. This one is cute, but the one he does with Scott Moir is my favourite. 

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/pushing-limits/mark-mcmorris-tells-brother-craig-skateboarding-his-dna/

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

The knowledgeable one is Craig McMorris, brother of snowboard medal winner, Mark McMorris. He's really good, and he's done a lot of athlete features on various Canadian olympic athletes. Check out the cbc website. I've linked one example. This one is cute, but the one he does with Scott Moir is my favourite.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/pushing-limits/mark-mcmorris-tells-brother-craig-skateboarding-his-dna/

Thanks! I keep meaning to look up who they are, while we're watching, but then I forget.

The two commentators together are a good team.

We're looking forward to tonight's big air finals. I'm gonna miss these two guys when this is all over :lol:

• Like 1

Wow for the bob sleigh. I find I like events better where the judging is not subjective. With luge and Bob as well as slalom, Super G, etc. it's all about time. Winning can be by 100th of seconds but it's a clear win.

When I watch the 4 men bob, I always wonder if the last guy in back is afraid of not making it into the bob on time since he has to wait until the other three squeeze in.  :laugh:

• Like 2

Who else is bummed that it's almost over? Looking forward to the last of the competitions and the Closing Ceremony, but then...it's going to be quiet around here!

Yes, there is always a big empty void when the games finish. It's so intense and exciting for 2 weeks, and then nothing. I wonder how the athletes deal with it? Maybe there are competitions they head to immediately after the games, so their season continues. My season doesn't, though.  :o  It's very hard to find coverage of many of these events outside of the olympics - aside from hockey and curling in Canada. Then you can't get away from it.  ;) 

• Like 2

Warning: I heard they’re going to be NBC’s announcers for the closing ceremony.

The men's gold medal curling game was AMAZING. And how about Ester Ledecká's second gold? It hasn't been since the 30s (I think) that an athlete has won the gold in two different sports at the Winter Olympics (and she's the first woman to do so)...she's AWESOME!!!

She is awesome. Her reaction after the super G win was priceless.

However, we got the impression that a much larger percentage of athletes on the "red" run won the parallel slalom. Only 2 athletes that were on the "blue" run won and one time because the other person fell. Did this seem lopsided to others as well?

• Like 1

However, we got the impression that a much larger percentage of athletes on the "red" run won the parallel slalom. Only 2 athletes that were on the "blue" run won and one time because the other person fell. Did this seem lopsided to others as well?

Interesting...I guess I wasn't paying attention to which run had the most winners. I may have to go back and check that out!

Yes, the athletes were well aware of the difference between the runs; someone said the snow was softer on blue, and there was a particular spot where several skiers wiped out because of it. The person in each pair who had the higher seed got to choose which side they wanted, and they always chose red. The Korean skier who got silver said his semi-final run was by far the hardest because he was on blue, and he only won by 0.01 second.

• Like 1

Yes, the athletes were well aware of the difference between the runs; someone said the snow was softer on blue, and there was a particular spot where several skiers wiped out because of it. The person in each pair who had the higher seed got to choose which side they wanted, and they always chose red. The Korean skier who got silver said his semi-final run was by far the hardest because he was on blue, and he only won by 0.01 second.

DH was really bothered by it. :)  It does seem a tad unfair. They could just let one person do a run and time them from top to bottom...but then it would not be parallel slalom. :)