Menu

Winter Olympics

Katy

Do the South Koreans especially enjoy opera music? They seem to be playing a lot of it at the figure skating event while the zambonis are cleaning the ice. They also had some Korean opera singers perform in between the skating. I never heard of this happening in other countries. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

My ds 13 just walked in, sat down and started watching the figure skating with me and dd. He was very impressed with the skill.

I always am too, even though I can’t tell one jump from another. I can tell the men go higher and seem more powerful. But the women are just so graceful while being athletic at the same time.
  • Like 1

Swiss has Suiss on their team clothing, which is French, one of their official languages.

Sure, there are a lot of borrowed words in German, but the name of one's country is not going to be one of those words. My dh thinks it's because Germany is much more recognisable on the world stage than Deutchland. So a marketing move perhaps. 

Yes, as it has been "Germany" for a long time even in the country itself which may seem odd to others. Even in colloquial expressions, they often refer to their own country as "Germany." I have even heard politicians say this which seems even stranger but perhaps they think they come across as young and hip.

Edited by Liz CA

I always am too, even though I can’t tell one jump from another. I can tell the men go higher and seem more powerful. But the women are just so graceful while being athletic at the same time.

When they perform the element where they bend way back, I always rub my back. :)

• Like 3

English is the official language of the Olympic games. So it makes sense.

ETA: And people usually struggle with all the consonants in Deutschland. ;)

Oh no, instant minus points for my German class. However, if you just write Germany all is good, I guess. ;)

I do get carried away with all the 'a' and consonants in Canada, too. USA is a lot easier to write error-free. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

They really should have cancelled it. It looked super dangerous & there were some scary falls. 

Yes, there were. I had to stop watching because it made me afraid for the competitors. There were huge gusts of wind for the ski jumpers as well. I don't think they cancelled the 70m event, but they did have many delays. 

• Like 2

I'm so happy for the Canadian skating team right now.  :D  They did a wonderful job. It will be great to see all the amazing skaters from all the countries again throughout the next couple weeks. This was like a fantastic preview. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I'm so happy for the Canadian skating team right now.  :D  They did a wonderful job. It will be great to see all the amazing skaters from all the countries again throughout the next couple weeks. This was like a fantastic preview. 

I loved it when Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir said they wanted to do well to help Patrick Chan get his gold medal...and he looked so happy on the podium!

• Like 3

I thought snowboard slopestyle was insane, but moguls is even more wild. We really are a nation of crazy Canucks. Go Canada!

Congrats to the US guy and girl who won gold in the slopestyle! Awesome work. Very entertaining and impressive to watch. 

And a big congrats to Australia's mogul skier who won the silver. It was a really tough competition out there. So many talented guys. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I thought snowboard slopestyle was insane, but moguls is even more wild. We really are a nation of crazy Canucks. Go Canada!

Congrats to the US guy and girl who won gold in the slopestyle! Awesome work. Very entertaining and impressive to watch. 

And a big congrats to Australia's mogul skier who won the silver. It was a really tough competition out there. So many talented guys. 

Snowboard slopestyle and moguls are both insane.  Whose idea is it to hurl themselves fast down hill, catapult themselves in the air and do lots of flips with  the possibility of landing on hard snow if you miss.  I'm not even sure how anyone gets started in the sport--who are the mothers that agree to that???? (And I am not overprotective--we climb trees and rocks around here)

• Like 3

Do moguls skiers all have knee replacements at 25?  How does that not blow out their knees?

• Like 5

Do moguls skiers all have knee replacements at 25?  How does that not blow out their knees?

Well, one of the Canucks is competing with a torn ACL & I didn't see it but I think he finally crashed out today....  & I don't know if it was him or another guy I heard being interviewed this morning who said something about having put aside his knee surgery till after the Olympics.  I wonder if there's anyone competing now with an artificial joint. 

Snowboard slopestyle and moguls are both insane.  Whose idea is it to hurl themselves fast down hill, catapult themselves in the air and do lots of flips with  the possibility of landing on hard snow if you miss.  I'm not even sure how anyone gets started in the sport--who are the mothers that agree to that???? (And I am not overprotective--we climb trees and rocks around here)

Yes, give me regular slalom and downhill any day. However, some downhill venues had neck breaking speed as well. Technology has made it possible to get faster and faster. I remember an interview with the gold medalist of 1976 in slalom and downhill and she said her score would not even get on the board today.

• Like 1

The other night one of the commentators said people always think moguls are hard on the knees but it's not. I find that hard to believe...well, maybe I can believe it for the 20 somethings in the Olympics, but climbing stairs is hard on my knees so I KNOW doing moguls would ruin me. 

• Like 2

Snowboard slopestyle and moguls are both insane. Whose idea is it to hurl themselves fast down hill, catapult themselves in the air and do lots of flips with the possibility of landing on hard snow if you miss. I'm not even sure how anyone gets started in the sport--who are the mothers that agree to that???? (And I am not overprotective--we climb trees and rocks around here)

Well, after Red Gerard won the gold, he said his family had been shot-gunning beers all morning. Maybe that’s how his mother survives?? LOL Edited by wonderchica
  • Like 6

We are all Olympics, all the time here. I work it into our school days as much as possible, as well as our regular home life. There's no event I won't watch, and I love the opportunity to learn about another culture!

Oh, gosh. I'm like that, too. I swear, we need to clear out our couches and replace them with exercise bikes that power the TV. I find myself it ting so.long, I hurt (unless I jump.off the couch to cheer ... then I hurt myself.) JK.

I was out of town for dd's National competition for climbing this weekend and I only got to watch a little bit. But at the team get together, one of the dads insisted on switching from figure skating to biathalon (skiing and guns. What's not to love?)

When I mentioned that I like to watch curling late at night when I have insomnia, everyone expected me to be an expert on the rules. But I usually watch with the sound off because I don't want to wake anyone.

I was spoiled because the hotel.had several channels showing Olympic events. We have fewer options at home.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I was going to snark about Gabbi Daleman's sheer backside, but then I found an interview of her and decided I love her.

I don't think her costume was sheer on the backside or anywhere on the torso. I think the same dark sheer fabric on her arms had a lighter lining everywhere else (easier to see at the shoulder seam). So you can just love her and not worry about a wardrobe malfunction!

I don't think her costume was sheer on the backside or anywhere on the torso. I think the same dark sheer fabric on her arms had a lighter lining everywhere else (easier to see at the shoulder seam). So you can just love her and not worry about a wardrobe malfunction!

It wasn't sheer in that tiny little video I linked, but when viewed on a huge flatscreen, it was definitely sheer.  I wasn't the only one that noticed, it was all over twitter.  Along with exclamations of her beauty, women leaving their boyfriends for her, men proposing marriage, and about a million people exclaiming over how amazing she was.

I think it was one of those situations where the fabric looked totally appropriate to the bare eye, but to cameras, it was sheer.  It may also have been done on purpose, the front of that bit was definitely lined!

Okay, someone on YouTube edited the video to make it very obvious when the costume looked sheer.  I'm not going to link it directly, but the video is called "Gabrielle Daleman, sexy Canadian medalist in blue see-through?" If you care to judge it for yourself.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Speaking of wardrobe malfunction potential - there was a guy skating with suspenders. Dh said maybe there were painted on but they looked pretty real to me and if they let loose...it could take the poor girl's eye out.

Speaking of wardrobe malfunction potential - there was a guy skating with suspenders. Dh said maybe there were painted on but they looked pretty real to me and if they let loose...it could take the poor girl's eye out.

There was a wardrobe malfunction in ice dance. http://time.com/5144356/yura-min-wardrobe-malfunction/

This article cracked me up ... "Patron Saint of Teen."

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/winter-olympics-2018-red-gerard-winning-gold-and-cursing?ref=facebook-869

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It wasn't sheer in that tiny little video I linked, but when viewed on a huge flatscreen, it was definitely sheer.  I wasn't the only one that noticed, it was all over twitter.  Along with exclamations of her beauty, women leaving their boyfriends for her, men proposing marriage, and about a million people exclaiming over how amazing she was.

I think it was one of those situations where the fabric looked totally appropriate to the bare eye, but to cameras, it was sheer.  It may also have been done on purpose, the front of that bit was definitely lined!

Okay, someone on YouTube edited the video to make it very obvious when the costume looked sheer.  I'm not going to link it directly, but the video is called "Gabrielle Daleman, sexy Canadian medalist in blue see-through?" If you care to judge it for yourself.

I'll take your word for it. That's unfortunate for her.

I dunno, I enjoyed the commentators for the women's halfpipe tonight. Phrases like "ya gotta risk it for the biscuit" and a generally upbeat tone made it fun. Of course, the American gals kind of dominated the event, that may have had an effect.

The men's downhill skiing, tho... those guys seemed a little more highbrow in their comments.

I don't watch too much of the Winter Olympics, though. I can feel the cold right through the TV screen. And I do not like the cold.

• Like 2

The other night one of the commentators said people always think moguls are hard on the knees but it's not. I find that hard to believe...well, maybe I can believe it for the 20 somethings in the Olympics, but climbing stairs is hard on my knees so I KNOW doing moguls would ruin me. 

That's what I told DH: their knees!

I was going to snark about Gabbi Daleman's sheer backside, but then I found an interview of her and decided I love her.

I didn't notice that about that portion of her costume, but I did notice that the skirt looked too short and that it started too far down on her body. I wanted it to be longer by starting up higher closer to her waist. I guess that wouldn't work w/ her long torso though. Other than that, it was perfect for her choice of music. I am no Gershwin fan, but I do love RIB, and very much appreciate the classical music. I'm old school....and old! (Confession: I'm sorry school figures - aka compulsory figures - are no longer part of competition!)

Thanks for the links. She is gorgeous and talented. Exotic is the exact word I used describing her. Bless her. A 19 yr old who can put her cell phone down for such a long period of time? I adore this girl!

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

I wish figures were still included too!

I'm so glad they are out. It's like having scales part of a music concert. Yes, the performer needs them in order to have the strong foundation to perform, but it's not part of the performance. The olympics is entertainment as well as sporting competition. Money and viewership drive the games. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I didn't notice that about that portion of her costume, but I did notice that the skirt looked too short and that it started too far down on her body. I wanted it to be longer by starting up higher closer to her waist. I guess that wouldn't work w/ her long torso though. Other than that, it was perfect for her choice of music. I am no Gershwin fan, but I do love RIB, and very much appreciate the classical music. I'm old school....and old! (Confession: I'm sorry school figures - aka compulsory figures - are no longer part of competition!)

Thanks for the links. She is gorgeous and talented. Exotic is the exact word I used describing her. Bless her. A 19 yr old who can put her cell phone down for such a long period of time? I adore this girl!

Ok I never heard of school figures so I watched the video. I can see that it takes a ton of talent, especially going back over the original figure 3 times. For a competition it’s a bit boring to watch. I do think it could greatly change the outcome of medals though, that takes a very different skill than powerful back to back jumps.
  • Like 2

I'm so glad they are out. It's like having scales part of a music concert. Yes, the performer needs them in order to have the strong foundation to perform, but it's not part of the performance. The olympics is entertainment as well as sporting competition. Money and viewership drive the games. 

Ok I never heard of school figures so I watched the video. I can see that it takes a ton of talent, especially going back over the original figure 3 times. For a competition it’s a bit boring to watch. I do think it could greatly change the outcome of medals though, that takes a very different skill than powerful back to back jumps.

I didn't say I was right!  :lol:

And when they were in, I doubt they were covered. I seem to recall reports on those results, not coverage. It did keep out many good skaters. Still, it's neat that the sport is still called "figure skating" based on those compulsory figures. 

• Like 2

I didn't say I was right!  :lol:

And when they were in, I doubt they were covered. I seem to recall reports on those results, not coverage. It did keep out many good skaters. Still, it's neat that the sport is still called "figure skating" based on those compulsory figures. 

They didn't cover the figures on TV, we just heard about the results the day after. It was brutal hearing that skaters who could out-perform in their short and long programs losing out on medals because their figures weren't as perfect. And perfection in figures usually had little to do with being able to land jumps. I guess all that time learning to retrace one's figure on the ice didn't leave enough time to work on jumping. There's only so much time in a day. I've never trained in the sport, but as a spectator I'm way more impressed with a skater's performance in their short and long programs, than hearing whether they can retrace over their loops and circles. 

• Like 1

That’s why I like figures - the underlying technique is important, as is precision. Just being able to spin (and travel, it is amazing how many top tier skaters have mediocre quality spins in terms of mass centering) and execute a jump isn’t skillful in the same way. The sport lost some of its holistic quality and has gotten really overly focused on tricks, to the detriment of edgework in some cases.

But that’s just my opinion as an old, long retired amateur skater.

I think the fix to mediocre spins is to increase the point value for well-executed spins.  As long as the scoring system rewards tricks over skating quality, then that will be the focus.  I don't think school figures as part of the competition is the way to improve them.  If the scoring system rewards lots of jumps, then that is what programs will show.  But jumps have been getting even higher billing because of the controversy in 2010 when Evan Lysacek won over Plushenko despite Plushenko having a quad and Lysacek not having one.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/7271851/Winter-Olympics-2010-Evan-Lysacek-not-worth-gold-says-Yevgeny-Plushenko.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2018/02/12/figure-skating-scoring-system-set-reward-difficulty/SOVJHAJB51whpzXHxeobIN/story.html

• Like 1

That luge crash was terrifying.

Can add watching my kids do life to the list of things my mama heart would not want to deal with.

edit: kids doing luge, not life. Obviously life can be terrifying, but luge takes it to new levels...

Edited by JIN MOUSA
  • Like 3

Who was watching Shaun White in the halfpipe final? We were screaming so loud when his score came up! And it's so fitting that he won the 100th all-time Olympic gold for Team USA!!!

That was great!

(But I do think someone at the network forgot to use the dump button...😲)

That luge crash was terrifying.

Can add watching my kids do life to the list of things my mama heart would not want to deal with.

edit: kids doing luge, not life. Obviously life can be terrifying, but luge takes it to new levels...

I missed that one. Was the athlete okay?

Who was watching Shaun White in the halfpipe final? We were screaming so loud when his score came up! And it's so fitting that he won the 100th all-time Olympic gold for Team USA!!!

Dh hollered and I was thankful we have no neighbors. :)

The dog was a a bit alarmed.

• Like 1

We are watching on BBC. What happened? :)

I don't think I imagined it, and my dd raised an eyebrow too....pretty sure a couple of White's enthusiastic outbursts bypassed the censor, iykwim. Can't blame the guy, he was so thrilled, it was fun to see him so excited and happy.

Oldest guy to come down the pipe and he slays it to take the gold. Love it.

• Like 2

There was another snowboarder a few days ago who was whooping at the bottom and dropped the F bomb on live tv. 

The same one from a few days ago apparently overslept the day of the competition (cause he was watching Brooklyn 99 late at night), didn't have all his gear, and had to borrow another teammate's jacket.  

I love snowboarders.

My fave yesterday was the Swiss Pat Burgener who I've since learned also has a singing gig and released some songs. He was dancing on top of the hill while waiting his turn & he has sweet moves. Also, he has proper boarder hair.  I have strong feelings about the hair.  

• Like 3