Menu

Winter Olympics

Katy

The women's Super-G final was crazy. A skier from the Czech Republic came out of nowhere to win, and her response at the end of the run (disbelief and incomprehension, for quite a while) was fantastic.

I saw that, she was ranked pretty low so figured she had no shot. Apparently she is a snowboarder too.
  • Like 1

I saw that, she was ranked pretty low so figured she had no shot. Apparently she is a snowboarder too.

And she's better at snowboarding than skiing. Competing in two sports at a single Olympics is impressive enough, but winning the one that is not your best? Next level. 

• Like 6

And she's better at snowboarding than skiing. Competing in two sports at a single Olympics is impressive enough, but winning the one that is not your best? Next level.

No kidding, a true athlete! I read that when she saw her name go to the top of the leader board she asked her coach is that was right.

I’d just like to be competitive in one sport on a local level. 😊

• Like 2

Is anyone else a little wigged out by the backwards skiing in Freestyle skiing slopestyle? Going into a jump backwards just scares me, and landing backwards is wild, too. :leaving:

It's very exciting, but totally counter-intuitive for me.

Earlier today on one of those jumps the guy was way high up and landed wrong, on his tailbone. He stood up afterword, but I was shocked he hadn’t broken his back. That fall had to have hurt.
  • Like 2

Here is a story of commitment to exercise, I guess. The father to Swiss freestyle skier, Muller, cycled from Europe to Korea to meet his son at the games. He quit his job last year so he could do the bike ride.

I think it might be neat to start giving awards for some siblings, parents and grandparents of olympic athletes. There are some really interesting stories out there. Cross-country skier Klaebo, was trained solely by his grandfather for most of his life. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

For those of you who watched the team figure skating event and saw the Canadian dance pair, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, skate their long program to the song "Roxanne," here is a video describing how they chose the music and story, and how the choreography was developed. It's very interesting the depth of thought and planning so many people put into a few minutes of skating.

Happily, we'll all get to watch it again in the skate dance event!!

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/virtue-and-moir-face-epic-ice-dance-battle.html

It’s 7:20, is anyone watching figure skating now? It’s supposed to be on NBC but isn’t. Before I sign up for a free trial to a service I’m checking to see if I’m just being impatient.

Edit: signed up for YouTube tv. Hopefully I’ll get to watch some ice skating or ice dancing!

Edited by Rach

I think that it will be on at 8:00 pm. Right now speed skating is airing.

You're lucky! It's curling on the air now.  Someone mentioned their dh thought figure skating was like watching paint dry. He needs to check out curling before he makes that claim. This sport is actually watching dried paint under the ice.  :lol:

Edited by wintermom

It’s 7:20, is anyone watching figure skating now? It’s supposed to be on NBC but isn’t. Before I sign up for a free trial to a service I’m checking to see if I’m just being impatient.

Edit: signed up for YouTube tv. Hopefully I’ll get to watch some ice skating or ice dancing!

If you download the NBC Olympics app or log in on the website, you can watch different things live or see previously aired events on demand. You have a limited amount of free viewing and then just log in with your YouTube trial info.

If you download the NBC Olympics app or log in on the website, you can watch different things live or see previously aired events on demand. You have a limited amount of free viewing and then just log in with your YouTube trial info.

Somehow I watched one brief clip and used up all my free viewing? YouTube rescued me! Now to just remember to cancel next Sat.

Um CBC didn't preview the video and did a full close up of the French couple's wardrobe malfunction, complete with nipple  :ohmy:

Saw the same on the NBCSN coverage. I feel so bad for that woman! And if they hadn't replayed it, I would have thought it was just a minor costuming error.

You're lucky! It's curling on the air now.  Someone mentioned their dh thought figure skating was like watching paint dry. He needs to check out curling before he makes that claim. This sport is actually watching dried paint under the ice.  :lol:

But curling can be a lot of fun. You just have to get into the action. When the stone is released, you jump up from your chair and simulate the sweeping motion, then you bend way down and sit on your haunches watching the stone get to the button. 

It provides wonderful evening exercise.

• Like 5

But curling can be a lot of fun. You just have to get into the action. When the stone is released, you jump up from your chair and simulate the sweeping motion, then you bend way down and sit on your haunches watching the stone get to the button. 

It provides wonderful evening exercise.

I know that watching and playing curling appeals to a lot of people. (I'm from western Canada where curling rivals hockey in popularity) However, compared to most other winter olympic sports it is not as fast and exciting. And I don't like sweeping for practical purposes at the best of times. I need to avoid all the dust and cleaning so I have time and energy to go ski. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the poor sound quality from the figure skating reporting. I get it's a huge ice hall but the acoustics are so poor. Or maybe it's just in the CBC feed?

The sound on the NBC feed was fine.

I must have gone to bed before the French couple performed. How mortifying for that girl!

• Like 1

I think it's really cool that the top 3 skate dance pairs all train in Montreal (Canada, France and US), and they all work with the same couple; Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon. I just wonder how that plays out on a weekly basis, though? Are they friends, rivals, or just tolerate each other's presence? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I think it's really cool that the top 3 skate dance pairs all train in Montreal (Canada, France and US), and they all work with the same couple; Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon. I just wonder how that plays out on a weekly basis, though? Are they friends, rivals, or just tolerate each other's presence?

I bet it’s a combination of all three.
  • Like 1

The sound on the NBC feed was fine.

I must have gone to bed before the French couple performed. How mortifying for that girl!

Yes, I hate that this is how she'll be known, diminishing her work on the ice. Just like that Canadian pairs skater who got her face sliced by her partner's skate in side by side camel spins. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

Yes, I hate that this is how she'll be known, diminishing her work on the ice. Just like that Canadian pairs skater who got her face sliced by her partner's skate in side by side camel spins. 

I think within the skating world, the pair's actual skating will be remembered, and good lessons learned about fastening costumes. Outside that, social media will move onto other things very quickly. 

• Like 3

That’s why I like figures - the underlying technique is important, as is precision. Just being able to spin (and travel, it is amazing how many top tier skaters have mediocre quality spins in terms of mass centering) and execute a jump isn’t skillful in the same way. The sport lost some of its holistic quality and has gotten really overly focused on tricks, to the detriment of edgework in some cases.

But that’s just my opinion as an old, long retired amateur skater.

No, I agree, too.  In general I think this kind of emphasis on tricks and spectacle has become a problem in quite a few of the sports.  You ca see it too in which sports are being promoted and new ones admitted.

Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth Swaney? She basically gamed the system and traveled to qualifying competitions with few competitors in order to get a spot on Hungary's team (she's American, but her grandparents are from there). She didn't violate any rules and can claim to be an Olympic athlete, but she also looked rather ridiculous competing on the halfpipe against people who actually looked like they deserved to be there.

I've seen heartwarming stories about international competitors who hardly even knew how to swim competing in the Olympics before and didn't have a negative reaction, but this feels different to me. She says it's an honor to compete in the Olympics, but to me there's nothing honorable about what she did, though I admit she is certainly persistent. It sounds like they're going to make changes to the qualification process as a result.

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth Swaney? She basically gamed the system and traveled to qualifying competitions with few competitors in order to get a spot on Hungary's team (she's American, but her grandparents are from there). She didn't violate any rules and can claim to be an Olympic athlete, but she also looked rather ridiculous competing on the halfpipe against people who actually looked like they deserved to be there.

I've seen heartwarming stories about international competitors who hardly even knew how to swim competing in the Olympics before and didn't have a negative reaction, but this feels different to me. She says it's an honor to compete in the Olympics, but to me there's nothing honorable about what she did, though I admit she is certainly persistent. It sounds like they're going to make changes to the qualification process as a result.

I saw that, and I agree that it doesn't seem to fit the spirit of the Olympics. I can't help but thinking that the time and money she spent traveling to so many small competitions could have been used to train for the events and put an honest effort into the sport and competition. Maybe honest isn't the right word; she was obviously within the rules. Maybe a wholehearted effort?

Edited by JIN MOUSA

She didn't violate any rules and can claim to be an Olympic athlete, but she also looked rather ridiculous competing on the halfpipe against people who actually looked like they deserved to be there. 

I kind of like the joke that keeps going around though that in each competition there should be a 'normal' person trying to do the thing the athletes are doing - just to provide a bit of perspective.  She kind of served that role. 

I think whether it's Eddie the Eagle or the Jamaican Bobsled team etc, it's  nice to get some "non favourites" out there. 

The passport/citizenship swapping thing is going to be just a bigger thing I think. I heard during the snwoboarding competitions something to the effect of that one of the athletes representing Ireland was American but couldn't make the US team. Korea has a Russian cross country skier. Not sure how/why he immigrated there but there you go.... 

No kidding, a true athlete! I read that when she saw her name go to the top of the leader board she asked her coach is that was right.

I’d just like to be competitive in one sport on a local level. 😊

She kept shaking her head and laughing, saying "Naw, naw." I think when someone at the finish line told her she thought they were making fun of her.

• Like 2

I kind of like the joke that keeps going around though that in each competition there should be a 'normal' person trying to do the thing the athletes are doing - just to provide a bit of perspective.  She kind of served that role. 

I think whether it's Eddie the Eagle or the Jamaican Bobsled team etc, it's  nice to get some "non favourites" out there. 

The passport/citizenship swapping thing is going to be just a bigger thing I think. I heard during the snwoboarding competitions something to the effect of that one of the athletes representing Ireland was American but couldn't make the US team. Korea has a Russian cross country skier. Not sure how/why he immigrated there but there you go.... 

There is a lot of it. Chris Reed was an American who became a citizen of Japan in order to compete with a Japanese partner. In pairs and Ice Dancing this isn't too uncommon simply because there are far fewer of these skaters available to partner up than singles skaters. I read one article that said that 6% of the athletes at these games are competing for a country in which they were not born, so ie. are naturalized citizens. Although, some do not have to change depending on the home country's rules. Mexico only requires that one prove direct Mexican heritage so in the case of one American whose mother was formerly a Mexican citizen, he can compete for them.

Currently my sister has dual citizenship, US/France so were she an athlete, she would be eligible to compete with either one.

Our friend's child has French, Netherlands, and Canadian citizenship until he turns 18. He is a competitive swimmer in Canada and potentially good enough to compete at the Olympic level by 2020. That gives him three options.

In reality, citizenship is just an accident of the birth lottery. For previous generations, the foregone conclusion was "loyalty above all else" pretty much to your birth nation. But I think in this global economy with ease of travel, far greater opportunity for mobility, and facing the fact that a "born" citizen never made a choice to be American, or French, or Chinese, this will be very popular in countries with a lot of depth to their olympic teams making it likely that world class athletes can end up off the roster for the "home team".

• Like 2

In reality, citizenship is just an accident of the birth lottery. For previous generations, the foregone conclusion was "loyalty above all else" pretty much to your birth nation. But I think in this global economy with ease of travel, far greater opportunity for mobility, and facing the fact that a "born" citizen never made a choice to be American, or French, or Chinese, this will be very popular in countries with a lot of depth to their olympic teams making it likely that world class athletes can end up off the roster for the "home team".

and maybe in this way it will continue to be part of the Olympics peace promotion too ? Some of the ultra rah rah nationalism of the olympics bugs me, kwim? I'd kind of like to see more athletes just competing as athletes.... 

• Like 1

There have been a lot of athletes that are actually from one country competing for another. Some have ties to that country, but some of the ties seem to be a stretch. There are also a lot of athletes that train in other countries. One of the figure skating coaches works with teams from 5 countries, they are train in the US in the same rink. Several other figure skaters train with the same coach in Russia. Some countries require you to be a citizen to compete under their flag but not all do.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/08/sport/winter-olympics-athletes-switching-nations-pyeongchang/index.html

There have been a lot of athletes that are actually from one country competing for another. Some have ties to that country, but some of the ties seem to be a stretch. There are also a lot of athletes that train in other countries. One of the figure skating coaches works with teams from 5 countries, they are train in the US in the same rink. Several other figure skaters train with the same coach in Russia. Some countries require you to be a citizen to compete under their flag but not all do.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/08/sport/winter-olympics-athletes-switching-nations-pyeongchang/index.html

Yup.

Seems like the Detroit Skating Club has many athletes training here from all over the world. I can only imagine how hectic a time this past week and half has been for those coaches! 

Getting a chance to compete in the Olympics is just as much a political game as it is an athletic success. It can be just as political to get a place on the Pee Wee AAA hockey team in one's hometown, or a place on any US college basketball team. Why should Olympics be any different? It's about the money and power, and countries and individuals will use the rules - or simply break the rules - to try and do what they want to do. 

I have to say I smile really big every time I see that Russian athletes have no gold medals.  :D  Whatever craziness the IOC has done and continues to do, they did the right thing banning proven doping regimes. 

And I scratch my head about why a curling athlete would need doping? 

• Like 2