Menu

Do you go to a co-op you love (non CC)? Can you give me feedback?

mamawaabangi

Hey there, I'm trying to get some ideas here... I am pondering if I should start a co-op in our local area... we have many hybrid schooling options (shared school) and a local area CC... but NO independent co-ops. I think there is room and need for one.

Some questions I have...

What is covered in your co-op curriculum/subjects?

Are there subjects or classes you wish were covered?

How often do you meet and for how long (hours)?

Do you pay for the service? If so, how much?

Where do you meet? (a church, school. community center?)

Is it a drop off or parent participated program? And what would you prefer?

What is done to manage non-school aged siblings? 

Have you encountered problems while attending? How could those be avoided?

What's the best thing about it in your experience?

Are there other things you think I need to know?

Subjects vary at our co-op. There are 4 class periods and lunch. The younger kids also get a recess (and all kids get a 15 minute snack break after 1st period). My son is in 8th grade & we both love co-op. He takes Apologia Science, Bible, Drama, and Study Hall. There were other classes as well but this is what we chose. Each class was $20 and the annual registration is $150. Our co-op is a year long commitment. In the past I’ve been part of co-ops that cost less and were quarterly. We meet once a week from 8:30-1:30. We have Assembly and then are dismissed to first period. All parents are required to stay & teach or assist (although moms get breaks - so you don’t work every hour). At my previous co-op we worked two consecutive classes and could leave for the other two classes to run errands (as long as we signed out). The co-op is for ages three through high school and everyone has a classroom (no one under 3). My previous co-op had a nursery, so all ages welcome. We meet at a Baptist facility school grounds type place. It’s basically like a small private school.

Something that I love is a snack shack for the kids. It raises funds for the co-op and the kids love the option of buying drinks & snacks during break. They also offer different lunch options we can order, which is great.

I think I answered all of your questions. I’m on my phone & cant see well, so forgive any typos

ETA - at our previous co-op we had a yearbook, picture day, etc That was probably my daughter’s favorite thing ...to carry that book around (she’s 16 in public school and still has it in her room😊)

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

There are a few threads on here about this, so I encourage you to search for them.

Our co-op is enrichment, so while there may be academic classes, that is not why we exist. As mentioned by other posters--things that are hard to pull off at home are popular at co-op like gym, choir, musical theatre, art, science labs. Also fun things like STEAM, strategy games, logic oriented detective classes, LEGO, etc.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I've probably answered these in another thread somewhere. Co-op questions do come up sometimes, and I've been around awhile. I've led our co-op since 2006. We're a large co-op (200 kids) who started small, and grew as our kids grew. I'll answer based on our current co-op, though when we started things might have been different.

We offer whatever parents are willing to teach. We are an elective co-op and prefer to focus on things like PE, Art, fun Geography, etc., but we have also had some really talented people over the years who have offered IEW writing classes, Spanish or Latin classes, and we do have the option of more academic classes at the high school level when teachers are willing to go there.

I'm always glad there is someone to teach PE to the elementary aged kids. Everybody should get to play kickball and steal the bacon in a large group of friends, and homeschoolers can't always replicate that at home. I wish we had people with more expertise to teach upper-level science like Chemistry and Physics. Science classes are always popular at co-op, and while it's not too difficult to find someone willing to teach through an Apologia text for younger kids, most are intimidated by high school science.

We meet weekly for 2 hours of classes. We also have a 30 minute assembly. Our academic high school classes meet for an additional day.

Family membership $112, most of which goes to the church were we meet or for website fees. There are also class fees, which vary based on the class. Some are free or nearly so, others with more involved projects or curricula cost more.

A local church, for a fee.

Parents must teach or assist for one hour. They have to stay on-site except for extenuating circumstances. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nursery and preschool classes are provided for siblings. Parents of kids in that age group usually serve their 1 hour in that area.

We've encountered varied problems along the way, but most problems can be avoided by having a good set of policies and procedures from the outset, which are then adjusted to cover problems you never thought of. For some our co-op would be too structured because they like more of a flexible, go-with-the-flow model, but it's also very organized and relatively calm because people know what to expect

The life-long friendships we've made with other co-op families. We started meeting as a group (not as a co-op, just for park days and field trips) when my oldest was in K and my second was 2, my youngest was born the next year. My kids have been a part of this group nearly their whole lives, and we've never homeschooled without our co-op. It's like a family to us.

Take the amount of work you think it will be and multiply it by 10. I only have 3 kids and the youngest was 3 when I started leading. Tackling group leadership with 7 kids when the youngest is still a baby would be way more I could have handled, so consider it fully and find others to share the leadership load with you, selecting carefully those who share your vision and can work well with you.

For me one of the most vital components of co-op leadership is communication, and a good website has been invaluable to that end. We use homeschool-life.com. There's a per-family fee, but since it provides options for everything from class registration to paying for field trips, it is so worth it.

Edited by mom2att
  • Like 1

There are 3 in our general vicinity.

Co-op A:

Science & heritage arts for younger ones

Theology/logic & shakespeare for older kiddos

Co-op B:

Fine arts co-op

ASL

Spanish

Band

Violin

Guitar

Art

Photography

Speech

Drama

Choir

Co-op 3

Government

Current events

Various PE classes

Various types of dance

Guitar

Hands-on science for younger kiddos

Speech

Drama

Spanish

B & C are more expensive. It's about $120 per 2 classes.

All 3 meet once a week. Not sure about C, but A requires parents to teach & B requires parents to help somewhere.

Edited by YodaGirl
  • Like 1

I love our co-op and I really never thought I would feel that way about co-op. I was actually quite against them for us a few years ago.

Ours is simple and strictly covers tapestey history (just history and maybe some geography, not lit or church history) and apologia science. We are low-key about it, meet twice per month, and we don't do a lot of extra frills.

We had one that I really enjoyed.  I'll try to answer all your questions, but it was a true co-op; not a tutor-led program.

Subjects - any.  The parents would get together and have a meeting about the coming semester/year and decide what they wanted to teach, what there was a need for, and what the kids wanted.  One semester we had finance, book club, writing, knitting, cooking/kitchen skills, photography, history projects...it was mostly electives so that parents could maintain control over what they taught at home.  We did bring in a piano teacher and made arrangements for a daytime dance class for those taking dance in the building nearby so that all electives were covered in one day.

Cost- only what was required for individual classes.  Some had no cost, some had a monthly cost (like piano and cooking).  The church was gracious and required no payment from us.

Meeting- at a local church.

Drop off or not- again, this was a CO-OP.  As in, a collaborative effort to teach the kids.  Drop offs are NOT a co-op, they are a school.  While parents had flexibility if they had an appointment or sick child, each parent either took head of a class, helped with a class, or worked in the nursery room.  Many of us did all three throughout the day.  Our one major rule was that 1st year homeschoolers could not lead a class.  That was for their own sanity.  It was hard enough getting into a groove that first year at home, they did not need to be lesson planning extra on top of it.  And the few times a first year did take a class they were quickly overwhelmed.  So they could help, they could be in the nursery, but the first year was to get situated. 

Problems-  never really had any big ones.  My main class rule was that if you couldn't behave, you needed to 'find your mama'.  Immediately.  Now.  The threat of having to face their parent, in the middle of their own class, and tell them they were removed was more than they wanted to bear. After class I'd go find their parent myself and explain/work on a permanent solution. It took once or twice, and most problems were nipped in the bud.  All of the parents were absolutely wonderful which made the co-op easy and enjoyable.

Other things to know - Co-op works best when you offer an experience a child cannot get at home alone.  Book club worked because the students bounced ideas off each other.  Cooking worked because each teacher brought their own perspective/style: German, Vegan, frugal meals.  Biology worked because we had a biologist mom teaching.  ASL worked.  What doesn't work: the "typical" classroom experience.  If you rely on readings, homework, and tests, there's no point for the student to come.  If a student misses a class, they've lost the pace.  There needs to be a balance between what you can offer to the community and what you want your community to offer that you can't.

• Like 1

My kids do an Art and Drama tutorial one morning a week for 32 weeks in a school year.. Drop off! Best thing is 3 hours to myself while they have fun and learn with fabulous teachers. Meets in a church. No sibling care. Cost is $85/month, plus an art supply fee.

Two classes, roughly 2nd-4th and 5th-7th. Youngers have art first while olders have drama. 30 minute recess, then they switch. Art show and drama performance at the end of each semester. 15-20 minute skits and some monologues, not an elaborate production.

Hey there, I'm trying to get some ideas here... I am pondering if I should start a co-op in our local area... we have many hybrid schooling options (shared school) and a local area CC... but NO independent co-ops. I think there is room and need for one.

I have been a part of several independent co-ops over the years.

Some questions I have...

Generally, I like co-ops that have supplemental/elective courses without any expectation of homework. I teach hands on science exploration classes mostly. We've had a variety of classes over the years - PE, life skills, cooking, dance, logic problems, mystery disease, engineering, etc. 

My favorite co-ops are ones in which the teachers get to choose what they want to teach rather than being told. I think you get better classes that way.

No. There are other co-ops in our area that cover core classes and have homework, but I'm looking for extras and social time.

Usually once per week for 3-4 hours.

Yes, we pay the teachers directly - averages $60 per semester/class. I've been in "free" co-ops, but the teaching is better when the teachers are paid.

Church

I've done both. Typically it doesn't matter too much to me as I'm teaching, but I like the one I"m in right now. They occasionally ask for volunteer help and have no problem getting it. Most parents stay on site, but they are welcome to leave intermittently.

Often we have a paid pre-school teacher. This might only be for the teachers or for everyone.

Sure, problems arise and are unique to each situation. I find most problems can easily be solved by co-ops with good (but not rigid) leadership. If the rules are too rigid then it does not fit a lot of people. Since we are all homeschoolers, we all do things a little differently. Another place I see problems is when expectations are not clearly stated ahead of time (cost, volunteer hours, staying on site or not, behavior, clothing, homework, etc.) It is very frustrating thinking you are signing up for one thing to find out that the reality is much different than you thought.

Learning new things from passionate experiences and social time... and field trips with co-op buddies.

Edited to add that co-ops are easiest to teach and find students in the elementary years. As the students get older and busier, it is harder to find co-ops and classes. We have some great co-ops in our area that either do only high school or do all ages, as well as many that mostly have younger kids.

Edited by Julie of KY

Some questions I have...

I have started and directed two different co-ops in our area. One met for 3 years and was purely elective type classes with no homework whatsoever. The current co-op is on the 6th year. Both were set up the same way on parent participation and finances. 

We meet every other Friday for 3-4 hours depending on the age. We require moms to come and stay the whole time and either be a lead teacher or help in a class the whole time. We have enough moms that we can give our lead teachers a planning period. We don't charge any tuition, just supplies for the classes. Two families each week have to stay and clean. We have the option to stay and each lunch together, and those families have to clean up after themselves. 

We meet in a church that doesn't require us to pay; however, we give a donation of at least $10 per family per semester. We currently have 25 family and 60 students. 

Each year changes slightly as to what is offered because we offer what people are willing to teach. Science has been something everyone has always wanted, so that has been consistent. 5th and up has always had literature and/or writing as a class. In those grades we usually have required curricula to purchase for the classes. In those grades there is always a 3rd elective without homework. 

For the 4th grade and down (all the way to 3 years old), we do science first (an hour with snack at the end); and they we offer four 30 minute classes. We've found that changing classes more often is good for the younger kids. Those classes typically don't have homework, but I'm teaching a writing class next semester which will. 

We have a nursery for 2 and younger, but they join the other pre-schoolers for a story time and outside play. 

I don't think you can bring 25 different moms together and not have problems, but I will say ours has been mostly problem free. I really try, as the director, to keep peace and let people know as much as I can up front. We make it clear that the parents are the ultimate teacher, and our teachers are there to support and assist what is happening at home. We've had a few who seem that they want to dictate things contrary, but I tell them that if they don't like what we offer then they are free to leave. I have learned to not take it personal. We can't be all things to all people. I am paying less than $50 for an entire year for my son to have Earth science labs, literature class with essay evaluation, and health projects and drawing instruction this year. I am not going to complain about anything those teachers do. I'm amazed when someone does. 

I've also had a couple of teachers this year who are upset with a couple families not doing all the assignments fully. Our board is going to address this before next year. It comes down to expectations on both sides. I think we have some who would like to participate in only part of the co-op classes, but we've always had it to be all or nothing because it's just easier. We have allowed senior students to not have to take all the classes because they may not need something or have other subjects to be studying for. Those particular families are only there for social reasons, not academic. 

The best things about it for me have been my kids experiencing other people's teaching styles and having to do hard things. This past week, my ds had an essay assignment that was really difficult for him. It was an opinion essay for a topic that he truly had no opinion that mattered. I was so glad we were in co-op because it would have been easy to give him a different assignment that would have been less stressful. Real growth doesn't come from something being easy. We grow when we have to struggle. That outside accountability helps me challenge my kids more than I would on my own. 

I would start small. I started with 10 families and it grew from there. It was easier to manage that way. If you have any questions, or would like to know more about my planning/scheduling methods, I'd be glad to share. Message me your email address or phone number. I love helping others get co-ops started. 

Here are the classes we have this year:

High school:

Chemistry or Earth Systems

Literature and Writing with British Medieval Poetry and Prose

Health (1st semester)

Introduction to Drawing (2nd semester)

Middle School:

Earth Systems for 7th-8th

BJU 6th Science for 5th-6th

Beyond the Book Report Seasons 1 and 2 for 7th-8th

Literature with literature guides for 5th-6th

Lemonade to Leadership (7th-8th, 1st semester)

World Cultures (5th-6th, 1st semester)

PE/Line Dancing class (2nd semester, both groups)

1st-4th:

CKE Earth Science

World Geography

Pioneers Study using Little House series

PE

Introduction to Sewing (1st semester)

Introduction to Writing (2nd semester)

Preschool-K

Hands-On Science

Fun with Reading

Music class

Art class

PE/Outside play

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

We meet once a week 9-3. We pay to join the support group for the year (very low fee,) plus buy books and extra supplies needed, pay $25 per child for the co-op, plus around $10 for each class a semester for class supplies. 

We meet at a church. Parents must attend. Little siblings have their own class periods set up. We try to include them with what the others are doing. 

My 8th grader has PE all ages. Split them as needed for some games. Preschoolers/toddlers are there but away from the main action, doing something similar. 

Home Ec- currently cutting out a pattern for an apron. Moms help their kids in here, especially the elementary kids. The preschoolers have people assigned to them and do a related activity. This week they cut fabric swatches and decorated paper people. 

General Science- she does the labs and lab sheets there, gets her readings and assignments for at home during the week.  During this time there is a storytime and related game or activity for preschoolers/elementary. 

Latin- we use MP plans, so it is very easy to do the class period as set up, and send workbooks home for the week. 

Art- projects from SOTW2 to go along with history. Preschoolers love art. We have a similar project for them.

Medieval History- using SOTW2 as a base. Some projects and writing assigned throughout the year, but mainly discuss in class, look at globes and maps and books with pictures, do some projects in class time. Parents assign at home from their choice for history.  Preschoolers play outside during this time. 

High schooler this year has: 

Advanced Biology with lab for 2 hr

Journalism- they do the monthly newsletter. They discuss and plan during class, do the interviews and calendars there, but do the writing at home. 

College Prep/career exploration-  using a class from Schoolhouseteachers dot com

Art- same as above

History- same as above

We have some alternative things for the younger ages. There is a weather class for science at the time my mdd is in Latin and the older is in College prep. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

I have started one medium size co-op, one small co-op and am now in (by not leading)a large co-op. The best book I read for starting a co-op is this::https://www.amazon.com/Homeschool-Co-ops-Start-Them-Burn/dp/0982924585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506369542&sr=8-1&keywords=homeschool+co-op

Some questions I have...

The first and last are mainly enrichment co-ops--the classes that are more fun in groups: PE, art, chorus, musicals, Mock Court, speech, cooking, Fencing, science activities for the young.

The one we are in now has an extra co-op day for high schoolers that are more academic: SAT prep, College Essay writing, Lit, Economics, World Geography, Chem lab, French Conversation.

the middle/ one we are still in one is a Tapestry of Grace Co-op where we do history discussions, activities for the young ones, writing and lit for the middles/high schoolers

1st-once a week 9-12 with free play after

Tapestry--once a week for 3 hours

New co-op--every other week for 3 1/2 hours; high school extension: once a week 9-3:30

The one now is $110 for the year for the regular + art fees and some of the teachers are contractors and change a fee (art teacher is $40 for 8 sessions; woodworking is 210; guitar is 240)

high school extension is really cheap because it is all volunteers and the church lets us use the building for free. So, the suggested donation is $30 per child per class, but you can pay as you are able.

church

Tapestry group is at my house

high school extension is drop off

others parent participation.  I prefer this for co-ops I run because of liability and because I think all parents should do something unless they are paying for the teacher's time.

there has always been some type of day care/nursery.  In my causal Tapestry group we didn't ask the one mom with babies to teacher, but she did do snacks.   but there are only a few of us and we wanted to support her bc she needed help and she would have/does help us when we need extra and she can give extra.

Free play did not work b/c co-op attendees still thought the co-op board should handle any problems even though we were clear that we were not in charge of this time. It could be avoided by leaving the premises and meeting at a park.

I got weary of people who didn't want to do their fair share even though we were *very* clear it was expected.

We also found it necessary to be clear that it was a classroom experience because it was common to have families remove their children from school because they were not coping in a classroom and then put them in co-op (with folks untrained in dealing with special needs) and expect it to work differently.  We also had some problem with people not being clear/honest about special needs.  We were totally willing to work with special needs kiddos, but it worked much better to have everything out in the open.

Friends for my kids; a pre-school experience for my youngest whose preschooly needs often got swallowed by her older siblings academics; PE; comraderie.

For our new one: a larger teen peer group and, because it's a large co-op, access to things like Model UN, debate , year book and other fun extra curriculars that are missing from our area because of the small amount of high school homeschoolers (we are traveling to another state for this new co-op)

Have clear boundaries.

Don't try to do it all yourself.

It is likely people will complain and accuse you of things that are unfair.

You may be more emotionally invested in it than the people who come.

Don't keep sacrificing what you want for your kids for other people to make it work. They likely will do what is best for their family and not keep you in mind.

It can be an amazing experience--at the moment our new co-op,which I joined kicking and screaming, has been part of a wonderful new season for our family. 

What is covered in your co-op curriculum/subjects?  Our co-op is an a la cart co-op so the subjects can change each session.  We normally offer Science, History, Literature and Gym classes but  there might also be sewing. cooking, drama, art, music, dance, loom bands, jewelry, writing, Bible......

Are there subjects or classes you wish were covered?  Most everything gets covered at one point or another.  I love having the variety.

How often do you meet and for how long (hours)?  We meet on Fridays from 9-2:30, for 2 ten week sessions in the year.  We do have some classes (mainly high school) that go into an extension time after the 10 weeks end.  This is mainly for things like science labs and other high school classes.  You can sign up for 1 -5 periods each session. We have some who just come in the am and some who just come after lunch.  It is very flexible.

Do you pay for the service? If so, how much?  Cost vary depending on the class.  Teachers are only supposed to charge for their costs.  We occasionally have a professional come in, such as an art teacher, who is allowed to charge more for their services.  Our classes normally range from free- $50 (art or science classes), many classes are around $5.

Where do you meet? (a church, school. community center?) church

Is it a drop off or parent participated program? And what would you prefer?  Ours is a parent participated program which is what I prefer.

What is done to manage non-school aged siblings?   We offer classes for pre-k -12 and have a nursery where teachers can put their children in (who are younger than 2)while they are teaching.

Have you encountered problems while attending? How could those be avoided?  There are always hiccups in a given session.  We have a leadership team that oversees various areas of the co-op (set/clean coordinator, room coordinator, registrar, class scheduler, aide coordinator, gym/supply coordinator...) and this helps things to run smoothly for the most part.

What's the best thing about it in your experience?  I love the fact that dd has made wonderful friends and learns so much each session.  It also provides me some time to fellowship with other Moms.

Are there other things you think I need to know?  As your co-op grows try to spread out the work.  We started with only 30 families and one person pretty much ran everything.  We now have over 70 families who participate and we have grown our administration team to 8 people.  Communication is key and having set expectations of what you expect from participants is very important.  We have a small handbook that we give to new members which helps.

If you have a nursery, you will get a lot of young moms (we even had moms who had no school age children). If you want older kids, you need an age requirement ("Families must have at least one child over 13 in order to join.").

If you want mainly school-aged children, require moms to keep their younger children with them at all times.

Frankly, the poor handling of younger children was why I quit my last coop. That coop has since gotten rid of nursery. A lot of ways homeschool moms deal with younger kids at home create major problems in a coop. You can pm me if you want to know more.

Emily

We used to have a problem with the nursery which is why we only provide it now for those who are teaching or aiding in a particular period.  Moms always have the option of keeping the babies with them (we have many who just wear their babies) but they have the option of using the nursery for kids up to age 2.  We usually have no more than 4 (normally 1-2) kids in the nursery at any given time so it is manageable.

Some questions I have...

Each parent proposes a class and then we all vote on what our kids want to take and the winners get assigned a time and room and we register. This term my 9yo is taking animal studies, skits and improv, games (strategy/board), lego challenge, and history and crafts with american girl. My 5yo is in story hour, pinterest crafts, games, and a class where bigger kids teach the little ones something. 

I like the balance we've had there so far. A bit of academic stuff but also a lot of fluff that just makes it fun. Before we make our official class proposals, we all make suggestions, so if there's something you want to see, you post that and someone else may say "hey I can teach that" and propose a class for it. 

Once a week. We start at 10:00 and last class ends at 3:30. There are 5 blocks of classes (55 min w/ 5 min for transition) with a lunch break in the middle. They are proposing a change for next term that will have us go from 9:00 to 12:15 with 4 shorter class blocks and we all leave for lunch. But there will be a couple of specialty classes that will stay for afternoon meet up. Such as Odyssey of the Mind and First Lego League. So only kids in those would stay. 

Yes. This term was $75 (per family, not per child). I do not know if that will change with the schedule change next term, but I doubt it. I think a lot of it goes to renting the space we use and insurance. Some classes may have a fee as well, but that varies by class and is never much. I had $15 of fees between both kids. Oh and there's a one-time fee of $25 for a background check. Every adult there during the day must have one, so if a family will sometimes have mom there and sometimes dad, they both need a check. 

a small church

Parents remain involved. We're actually not allowed to leave our kids there without us. Everyone has something to do each block. If you're not teaching, you may be a co-teacher, a helper, monitoring doors..... We sometimes even have one person just wandering around to take pics of the classes to post to our private fb page. I like it this way because I know what's going on and I get the social interaction as well. We did a drop off charter 1st and 2nd grade and I didn't care for it. The break was nice! but if didn't feel like part of our homeschooling life, just a day to drop her off somewhere. 

We have class options for 3 and up. There is a small nursery type room that the ~2yo's sometimes play in. Under that age usually tags along with their parent. 

We're finding it difficult to keep the preschool crowd where they need to be and keep the 5yo's happy. This term some classes are 3-5 and some 5-9, so the 5's end up with preschoolers one block and big kids the next. So when a preschool class ends, we're all checking everyone's badges* to find out where each kid needs to go for next block. Next term, we are thinking of having preschool be preschool, period. Those kids will always be there, all day. Parents can choose if their 5yo should be in preschool or in classes. 

My kids getting to be with all the other kids and having a teacher that's not me. I also like that they get to do things we might not otherwise do at home, like the history and crafts with american girl. Totally not something I would do, but my DD loves it. Both of my kids have anxiety so this push to do things without me, but the security of me still being there has been good for them. 

Pay attention to age distribution and classes offered. We are an all ages co-op, so we have newborns through high school (though not nearly as many at that age, it seems to dwindle a lot around 13). We offer 6 classes each block, but this term they pretty much assigned each class a spot and you choose from what's offered each hour. But there's one block that there is only one class 6 yo's could be in. There's other blocks that have similar issues. So next term we're going to have one class be preschool always, 2 classes for pre-teen/teen age, and 3 for the 5-9/10 range. That way everyone has something to choose from. 

*Each child has a badge with their name on it and their schedule so any adult can find out where they are supposed to be. Adults all have a badge with their name. The big kids can get their schedule figured out quickly, but it has been good for the younger kids. I'm with the little kids 3-4 out of 5 blocks, and especially at first it was a lifesaver to check their tags to get them sorted at the end of a class to take them where they needed to go. 

ETA: Each term is 10 weeks and we do 3 terms a year. Some classes are listed as all year commitments. Most are changed though one or two may be offered again for those who were interested but didn't get in the first time. 

Edited by Whovian10