Menu

How can I protect a floppy, softcover textbook?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I have a couple of college texts for my HSer, and the covers are so thin and flexible that I don't see how we're not going to ruin them fairly quickly. Is there some way I can make them stronger and sturdier? Some product or cover that works for this? I'm a little bit tempted to make paper bag book covers, but I don't think DD will go for that. Maybe if I show how she can doodle and write song lyrics on them when she gets bored during her Great Courses lectures :lol:

Thanks!

• Like 1

I cover my paperback textbooks with plastic & cellotape. Sometimes I reinforce the binding/glue inside the covers with cellotape.

If you think that will not make it durable enough, you could stick thick cardpaper on the inside covers first and then cover the book with plastic.

• Like 1

The only way that has consistently worked for floppy softcover textbooks that are going to be hand me downs for younger siblings and relatives were to take it to a book binding shop and rebound as hard cover.

Even with contact paper or plastic cover, the binding would still be all worn out unless all my relatives are really gentle when they flip the book to do the problem sets. Literature novels can stay in pristine condition as we flip slower. Math and science textbooks are all well worn out, even the hardcovers, from rather rapid flipping.

• Like 1

The only way that has consistently worked for floppy softcover textbooks that are going to be hand me downs for younger siblings and relatives were to take it to a book binding shop and rebound as hard cover.

Even with contact paper or plastic cover, the binding would still be all worn out unless all my relatives are really gentle when they flip the book to do the problem sets. Literature novels can stay in pristine condition as we flip slower. Math and science textbooks are all well worn out, even the hardcovers, from rather rapid flipping.

OH.... Memories...  When my wife was a Distance Learning student (Hybrid), in the Public University in the city of Cali, the textbooks were Soft Covered.  Bad...   I took them to a place in an office building where I had photocopies and other things made. I assume they sent them out somewhere, and they had them made into Hardcover books.  My wife still has those books.

A couple of years ago, the first Phys Ed course DD had to take they specified a Softcover book.  I read the reviews and it was a book I hoped she might refer to for many years in the future. I found the same  version of the book, in Hardcover and bought that for her.

I think what Arcadia suggested is the way to go.                

We have done paper bag covers for hardbacks, but they're not great for paperbacks.  Covering with clear contact paper works surprisingly well.  Do it so that you wrap the edges around the edges.  It's a little tricky to do.  For example, you need to put it on when the cover is closed, or it will be too tight to close.  You can set the book down on the contact paper spine-first, then roll the book to cover the front, then the back.  Then cut triangles out of the corners and at the edge of the spine, and fold down the resulting flaps, doing one cover then the other.  Then cut off the excess at the spine top and bottom.  I also run a strip of contact paper at the join between the cover and the first page, to help keep the cover on the actual book.  

• Like 3

We have done paper bag covers for hardbacks, but they're not great for paperbacks.  Covering with clear contact paper works surprisingly well.  Do it so that you wrap the edges around the edges.  It's a little tricky to do.  For example, you need to put it on when the cover is closed, or it will be too tight to close.  You can set the book down on the contact paper spine-first, then roll the book to cover the front, then the back.  Then cut triangles out of the corners and at the edge of the spine, and fold down the resulting flaps, doing one cover then the other.  Then cut off the excess at the spine top and bottom.  I also run a strip of contact paper at the join between the cover and the first page, to help keep the cover on the actual book.  

^

This is exactly what I do, and I have Miquon math books and Singapore math books that are currently in use with child #5.  Along with Phonics Pathways and FLL.   It's also a great way to help those secondhand paperbacks limp along through a few more children. 

( I spent my formative years helping out in a small town library.  I can also shelve books and work a card catalog pretty well. ) :)

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1